Soccer Women Ch. 15

Story Info
More Soccer and the last Christmas at the Rogers' Homestead.
9.7k words
4.79
4k
13
Story does not have any tags

Part 15 of the 21 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 10/11/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

[Author's Note: Because someone asked, I have been very careful to not say exactly where Carol's and Jen's houses are located. I will only say they are in the American Midwest.]

Now that the decision to buy a new home together had been made, Carol and Jen had to go about selling their current homes. The plan was for Carol to sell her home first while they looked for the one they wanted to buy. They would hold off selling Jen's because they needed to stay in her house until they found the new one as she had to be close to work.

One afternoon Carol got a phone call from Robert Moyer, a colleague of her late husband Paul. They had been friendly and Bob was one of the people who was supportive after Paul died, even when the Company barely acknowledged Paul's passing. Bob was one of the few of Paul's former work colleagues whom Carol had not deleted from her contacts.

It had been several months since they had spoken so after the initial pleasantries, Bob asked about Katie's wedding and the pictures that Carol had posted. "Hard to believe that little Go-Go is now a married woman."

"Well, you've got two in college yourself so you know how it goes."

"Carol, I am happy to catch up, but I am actually calling on business rather than social reasons."

"Oh crap! What can this be?" was what Carol thought. But her words were a bit more diplomatic. "Is it good news or bad?"

"Good, I think. We know that your house is on the market. And it turns out that the company is looking to promote an executive from California who would have to relocate here. It's her, her husband, and their fifteen-year-old daughter. You and Paul always had the home office and the location was convenient to the corporate office. I've spoken with her about it and they'd like to come take a look, unless you've gotten a buyer that I don't know about?"

"I've had a few nibbles but nothing serious. When would they want to come?"

"Well, that's the thing. They're here now and would want to see it before heading back to California."

"If they did want to buy it, when would they want to move in?"

"Well, that's another thing. The move would be right at the end of the year."

"That's two and a half months, Bob. I might find someone to buy this a little sooner than that."

"I know. I mentioned that. But I also had a solution. If they like the house, the company will buy it. Cash offer at ninety percent of your list price. Not more, but they'll pay for that now. Then you would stay and keep it up and maintained and then move out at the end of the year when they move in. You wouldn't even have to pay any rent or any of the taxes or fees. What do you say?"

"It all sounds very good, Bob. Almost too good. Particularly how they were when Paul died. Not you Bob, and not most of Paul's old team. But I still have some bad feelings about the company."

"I know Carol. And I am sorry about that. And I am not suggesting that this in any way makes up for it. But for where we are now, it is the least they can do. I did guilt them a bit when this all came up."

"Well, thank you Bob. Look, who knows if they'll even like it. I can meet them tomorrow afternoon. How does 2:00pm sound?"

"I'm pretty sure that will work."

"Excellent, I'll show the house off and we'll see what they decide."

When Jen came home Carol shared the news with her. When Jen heard the story, she asked, "Would you like me to come along?"

"I'd love to have the company, but would you want to bother?"

"Let's see, a woman moving halfway across the country with a fifteen-year-old daughter leaving behind all her friends. Granted, she's not a widow, but I think I could be of some assistance. Come on, we'll make a day of it. After they leave, we can go out to eat and hang out. Maybe see if Megan can scare up some of the Blue Lightning Brigade and we'll stay over."

"That sounds like fun Jen. Yes. Thank you." Jen smiled. She knew that this would not be easy for Carol. That house held a ton of memories for her. And while Carol had been working herself up to it for several months now, the reality of selling it was going to be an emotional event. And Jen was ready to be there for Carol and help her through it.

When the car pulled up the next afternoon, Carol recognized the driver as Bob Moyer. There was a couple, probably in their early forties and a young girl in her mid-teens.

Carol waited for them at the door. First Bob came up and she gave him a brief hug and then she welcomed the family inside. Carol went to the woman whom she already knew was the one working for Paul's old company. Carol extended her hand and said, "Pleasure to meet you. I'm Carol Rogers..." then turning to Jen said "... and this is my partner, Jen Smith." Jen stepped forward and shook her hand as well.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Ann Langdon and this is my husband James and our daughter Charlotte. Bob told us some of your story. I am very sorry for your loss."

"Well thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I am also sure that Bob mentioned that Paul and I lived here for over 25 years and he worked at the company for all of them. It was always convenient for him and I am sure that has something to do with why they suggested it to you."

"Yes. I've been with the company for eleven years now and we've been living in California. However, I recently was offered a big promotion but it means moving out here. We're still trying to decide if we should make the move."

While the adults were talking, Charlotte started looking around. She was suddenly very excited about a picture hanging on the wall. "Mom! Dad! Come here, look! It's the team picture from the Championship Team! Look there's Neve Cohill. She's my favorite player."

Ann turned to Carol and explained, "the University near where we live won the Women's Soccer Championship last year. Charlotte is a soccer player and her team followed them all year. Do you follow the team as well? Are either of you alumni?"

"No neither of us are alumni but we do follow the team." Then turning toward Charlotte, she said, "So Neve is your favorite player, you recognize her there?"

Charlotte looked back at the picture and pointed to it saying, "There she is, right there."

Carol smiled over at the young girl and said, "She is very good, isn't she."

"She's the best."

"Do you recognize any of the other players?" When Carol said this, she looked back at Ann and James.

"Um yeah. Let's see." Charlotte began to scan the picture. "That's Katie Rogers, she's pretty good too."

Ann's face registered the shock that came over her as she put two and two together. Ann didn't say anything but when she looked at Carol, Carol just nodded her head.

Charlotte continued, "There's Jo Napoli. She's an awesome defender. And that's Melanie Smith. She's really fast and has a very powerful leg."

Ann's gaze now fell over to Jen who sheepishly smiled and raised her hand as if to answer Ann's unasked question: "Yes, that's my daughter."

Ann gasped out loud. "What are the chances,"

Charlotte heard her mother and turned, asking, "What is it, Mom?"

"Char, Katie Rogers is Mrs. Rogers' daughter. This is obviously the house where she grew up. And Mrs. Smith here is Melanie Smith's mom."

"OH! MY! GOD! No way!"

Carol said, "Yes dear, it's true. Tell you what, why don't you come with me and I'll show you Katie's old room." While Carol, James, Bob and Charlotte went upstairs, Jen stayed on the first floor with Ann.

As everyone else ascended the stairs, Jen turned to Ann and said, "I bet I know what her vote is going to be about moving into this house."

Ann answered back, "I'm just a little worried about unrooting her and leaving her friends."

At this point, Jen told Ann her own story of moving to a new place with Melanie in tow. "I moved here from back east with Melanie between her sophomore and junior year of high school. But she always loved playing soccer and we found a team here and it turned out Katie was on the same team. And there was this instant connection with them. Melanie made plenty of friends on the soccer team and plenty of friends in high school too. I can't promise you that Charlotte will find the love of her life here, but there has been a lot of love and a lot of soccer in this house. And I'm sure if you do move here, some of it will still be around and it will rub off on you and your family."

"You said something about finding the love of her life?"

"Melanie and Katie got married this summer. Carol and I are actually in-laws."

"Carol said partner, If you don't mind me asking, was it just the girls who had that 'instant connection'?"

"When I first moved here, Paul was still alive. Carol and I were best friends as well as the girls. I was in a committed relationship when Paul passed and, with the girls at school, we didn't see each other as much and drifted apart a little. But when the girls got engaged and with the wedding planning and everything, Carol and I reconnected our friendship. Then my situation ended. So, for the first time we both found ourselves single.

"Carol and I began spending more and more time together with the girls and then just the two of us. Eventually, things sort of blossomed for us as well. Now we are going to move in together, which is why Carol is finally selling the house.

"Ann, I think it is universal that kids want their parents to be happy. When parents are happy, they tend to be more loving and attentive than when they're miserable. Kids will notice, even if you try to put a good face on it. If this is something you want to do, go ahead and do it. Be happy and draw from all the love in this house and I assure you that Charlotte will notice that, she'll be happy, and she'll be that person she wants to be and you want her to be.

"I know Carol has mixed emotions about having to leave this place. But I know it will make it so much easier for her if she knows that the people moving in have a chance at all the happiness and love that was so much of part of this house for so long."

"Thank you for sharing all that Jen. Truth be told, if I didn't take this promotion, I'd be miserable. But I was worried about moving Charlotte so far away. But what you said really helped me. Now let's go see if Charlotte wants to live in Katie Rogers' old room."

***************

Katie Rogers poked her head into Coach Quincannon's office. Katie had been a player for Coach Quincannon for four years and was spending this year as an Assistant Coach. Katie's now wife, Melanie, had also been a teammate of Katie's during the previous four years. Melanie stayed at the school when her soccer career was over to finish her Master's Degree in Psychology. When Melanie graduated the following May, Katie and Melanie would be moving to wherever Melanie was going to be working next. So, there was a good chance that this would be Katie's only year as an assistant.

The Soccer Team was doing very well so far that season. Its star player, Neve Cohill, had her breakout season the year before. The team had won the National Championship. As the reigning Champs, Coach Quincannon knew that every team would be out to get them and she figured this year would be tougher. But Neve seemed to have gotten even better. She was not only the best player, but she was the team leader, its heart and soul.

Both of these things had been on Coach Quincannon's mind when she had called Katie to her office.

"Coach, you wanted to see me?"

"Yes Katie. Please come in." She sat in the seat and Coach looked at her and smiled. "You're not in trouble or anything." Katie laughed, although there was a brief sigh of relief as she was not sure why she had been called into the Coach's Office.

"First, I just wanted to ask if you had any news about where Melanie and you might end up next year. I was wondering if I would need another new Assistant."

"Sorry Coach. I don't know for sure, but it is probably best if you plan on me not being around. She did apply to one local place, but I think that was only because part of her doesn't want to leave here. It's been such a big part of our lives. But I know the place she really wants to go to is back East."

"You know I'd love to keep you around but I understand. If anything changes, let me know. Now, I want to ask you about Neve. Katie, last year this was clearly your team. And this year it's Neve's team. She is the heart and soul of this team just like you were. It's not easy for a team to transition like that so smoothly but here we are.

"You pushed for her to be captain last year for that one game when you, Melanie and Jo were all going to be away. It turned her around and turned our whole season around. Did you know she was going to be this good?"

"To be honest Coach, yes. At least I knew she could be."

"Katie, I am asking you, not as a teammate or a friend, but as a Coach, why her? What did you see? I am trying to gauge your talent evaluation skills. What made you pick Neve?"

"She always worked so hard. She didn't want to be good, she wanted to be great. And you could see the flashes of her talent. It was there, it just needed a chance to sprout. I guess that's why I thought she could do it."

"I want you to take a look at this. You know the form; you've been doing enough of these yourself this year. This is Neve's evaluation. Read what I wrote at the bottom."

"Amazing potential but will need to have people around her. Not a leader."

"Was I wrong?"

"Well, Coach, I..." Katie did not want to say it although it seemed obvious.

"Let me try it this way. I wasn't wrong. What do you have to say about that?"

"Well, Coach, respectfully, I have to disagree."

"I did recruit her. I did offer her the scholarship. We agree that I had the first part correct, don't we?"

"Yes Coach."

"But you think I got the second part wrong?"

"Yes Coach."

"I didn't. And let me tell you why. When I wrote that, she was a senior in high school and at that point, she hadn't met you. I've already asked her about this. She says it was you. She watched you and tried to emulate you. And this spring you very publicly made sure everyone knew this was now her team and you deferred to her. So, why are the rest of them listening to her out there and doing what she's telling them to do and playing so hard for her? It's because you told them to.

"Katie, you say your plan is to teach and maybe coach as well. If you coach, that's what you can do. Teach them what hard work and dedication can do. And if you find another Neve Cohill, or another Katie Rogers, you'll send her my way, okay?"

"So have you ever made a mistake Coach?"

"No. I almost did once, but luckily someone caught it for me before it was too late."

"Does that have anything to do with what you told Melanie and me? That you almost didn't give us both a scholarship?"

"You know I thought this might come up. I said I wasn't going to tell you this, but I never said I wouldn't show you. I've got another form here but I covered the name with a post-it. Take a look at the bottom first."

The form read "Good Player. Great kid. Wish I had one more spot." But there was a red line through it and the word "Intangibles." had been overwritten across the original words.

"So, I almost didn't offer this person a scholarship. Go ahead, see who it is."

Katie pulled away the post-it covering the name and read "Katie Rogers."

She looked up at Coach Quincannon in a state of shock. Coach Quincannon said, "I told you it was almost my one mistake and it would have been a whopper. I'd have lost two great players because you wouldn't have been here to give Neve that last piece of her puzzle that's turned her into the best damn player in the Country right now. Up to you if you want to let your wife know this or not. I won't tell her. Nor Jo because I know she can't keep her mouth shut."

Katie never told Melanie that she almost had not been given a scholarship to the school. However, she did give Coach Hochbauer a big hug for sending that video to Coach Quincannon that helped tip the scales in her favor.

***************

Ever since Carol and Jen moved in together, mother-daughter phone calls occurred on Facetime or on the speaker, with Katie and Melanie at one end and Carol and Jen at the other. Katie and Melanie got the news of the sale of the Rogers' home together. Carol also mentioned Charlotte and told Katie that she could probably expect Charlotte to come to a game. Carol asked Katie to speak to the girl a little and if she could get Neve to speak to her that would be even better.

The actual move date would be December 27th. Carol had already sold the house to the company, but they were going to have Christmas there. One last big family holiday. Jen and Melanie were going to come. Abigail and Brianna and their families were as well.

It couldn't be for Thanksgiving because the Quarterfinals for the Women's Soccer Tournament were that weekend. Having had such an amazing season so far, this game would be played at home. Carol and Jen had gone to Jen's parents' home for Thanksgiving dinner but flew out for the game. Melanie and Margaret sat with them. Carol also used her connections to get three additional tickets for the Langdons. With the home crowd behind them, the game was never in doubt. So, it was off to North Carolina for the Final Four.

When Carol and Jen had gone to Jen's parents' house for Thanksgiving, it had been a little tough for Carol. While Jen was in the kitchen helping her mother with the meal, Carol was being grilled by a number of Jen's relatives. She had some trouble describing their living situation. Were they partners, significant others, roommates? The worst was when an elderly Great Aunt of Jen's asked if they were "living in sin." A week later though, sitting in Carol's house, it all seemed funny.

The sale had gone through and the deal did include some of the furniture staying in the home. Certain things Carol wanted to keep and some things they were not sure if they might need them for the new house. Carol had just sent movers with a number of items up to a self-storage unit that she and Jen were going to be using. Some things had to stay until the very end. With the truck gone, Carol and Jen were now relaxing.

The television was still there, although that would be coming with Carol when she left. There was no way they could spend four days in the house with Abigail and Brianna's kids without having a working television. However, the two women were talking and the set was currently blank.

Jen was stretched out on the couch and Carol was sitting on the floor leaning up against it. They would sit like this sometimes when they were watching television. Jen would stroke Carol's hair or massage her shoulders.

Jen leaned forward, wrapped her arm around Carol's chest and kissed the top of her head. Then she said, "I can't believe it is almost 6 months since you set up that camera and put us on the television."

Carol got a huge grin and her face and replied wistfully, "Yeah. That was so much fun planning it and the anticipation of it. But Damn! You made me feel incredible that afternoon."

"Was that the best you ever felt on this couch?"

"I think so."

"You think so?!?"

Well, there was this one amazing time with Paul, but I was only bent over the armrest. So, I am not sure if that counts?"

"Oh, you brazen woman you." Jen said as they both laughed a bit at Carol's admission. "What's the craziest thing you've done in this house."

"Well, there have been a few different moments upstairs, but the craziest up there was probably that New Year's Eve threesome that you were up there for."

"Yes, I definitely remember that. Where else?"

"The garage."

"Scandalous. Let me hear about that one."

"We had just moved in a little bit and I was pregnant with Bri. I was feeling extra horny. We had been out somewhere and we were just about to pull into the garage when Abi started crying in the back seat. When she was a baby, we would drive her around when she was having trouble sleeping or when she was cranky. She'd have been two years old at the time.