Some Things Are Meant to Be

Story Info
True love conquers all.
25.3k words
4.79
14.2k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Navypilot
Navypilot
58 Followers

Some things are meant to be

Part 1 - Monday

Eve picked up yet another toy and returned it to the toy cupboard. It had been a long day, her feet ached, and her back was sore. She thought about the children she had worked with today, each of them unique in their own way, and yet so similar in others.

She loved the sound of their excited chatter as they worked on a picture or a story. Playing number games with them was her favourite, and she was always thinking up new ways to make numbers fun.

Of all the little people she looked after there was one boy, Bryan, who she tried to keep a closer eye on. He was small for his age and very quiet and shy. She didn't know much about him or his home life, but she knew he had missed a fair amount of school. Eve felt drawn to him and wanted to get the little lad out of his shell.

The next morning Eve was running late. She had drunk too much with her friend Julie last night. Julie had been dumped by her latest boyfriend and, since Eve was also single, they had decided to meet up, get some takeout and basically drown their sorrows.

As Eve drove into the school carpark she saw Bryan. He was walking slowly, head down, and looked so sad and lonely. Eve parked her car and walked around to the front of the building instead of going in the staff entrance. Bryan was sitting on a low wall. Most of the other kids ignored him, but one or two called him names or hit him for no reason at all. She saw that Bryan didn't react, he just sat with his head down.

Eve walked up to the little lad. "Hi Bryan", no response. She tried again, "So Bryan, do you always walk to school on your own?" Again no response. "I have to go in now Bryan, would you like to walk in with me?" The lad slid off the wall, and for a moment Eve thought he was going to walk with her, but instead he looked up her once, and ran as fast as his little legs could carry him. Eve called after him but he just kept running.

Eve went directly to the school office and reported what had happened and Julie the secretary said she would call his home or, if really necessary, the local police officer, PC Parker. Eve shuddered. She had a history with Parker, he had been her last boyfriend and she thought things had been going well until suddenly he had dumped her. Even though 6 months had passed it still hurt to think of how things had turned out.

Eve had to go and get her lesson started, but as she did so she resolved to find out more about Bryan and see if she could help him.

As Eve set the youngsters to work drawing pictures of their favourite cartoon characters, she found her gaze drawn to the empty place where Bryan usually sat.

Lunchtime came around and Eve made a point of going to see Julie. "Hi Jules, did you have any luck with young Bryan?" Julie looked up at her.

"Oh, hi Eve, yes I did. Well, sort of. I spoke to someone at his home and he's there so he's safe."

Eve felt herself relax, "Oh thank goodness for that, I'll send a letter to his parents and ask them to come and see me."

Julie frowned, "There is something odd there. The lady I spoke to spoke very little English, some sort of French I think."

Eve thought it strange, but there wasn't much she could do right now. She thought about going to the house but to do so uninvited might not be the best idea. No, she would send a letter and see what happened.

Part 2 -- Friday

It was Friday that same week, and Eve was tidying the room at the end of the day. She hadn't seen Bryan all week and, although she was worried about him, she had at least sent the letter.

A knock at the door brought her attention. "Hi Jules", she said, "Are you waiting for me? I won't be long."

"Actually no", Julie said, "you have a visitor."

"What now?"

"Yes, now"

Together they closed and locked the classroom door and headed for the front of the school where the office was located. As they approached, Eve saw a smartly dressed man sitting in the reception area.

He looked nervous, which was odd, but she thought he had a kind face. It was then it hit her that this must be Bryan's dad. The likeness was definitely there.

"Hello," she said "I'm Eve Elliott, I understand you would like to speak to me?"

The man stood up "Yes thank you, I'm David Warwick" he said so quietly she had to lean closer to hear him. "I got your letter regarding my son Bryan."

Before Eve could say anything he carried on, "I'm so sorry Bryan has been such a bother. He is a good boy, really he is. I do my best, but it's difficult for him." He stopped, panting for breath.

When he said nothing more Eve said, "Please come and sit down. I know Bryan is very quiet, but please believe me I only want to help. Bryan has missed so much school this year and he is so shy it must be really difficult for him to come here."

"Yes, I'm sorry about that" David said. "Bryan is my only child and he is my world. I'd do anything for him, but I have to admit I don't know what to do to help him."

"What about his mum?" Eve asked.

"She left us when he was born," he said looking shamefaced.

"So it's just the two of you"? Eve asked.

"Well, there's my mum," he said, "She looks after Bryan while I work. She does her best and she loves him, but her English is not good and she has.." He paused, ".. different ways."

Eve studied the man. He was around 5'10", she thought, good looking with salt and pepper hair and a neat goatee. He was slim and quietly spoken. Although he was far from the sort of man she would normally go for - she liked bad boys and usually paid the price for it - she had to admit to herself she felt drawn to this man.

Without really thinking she found herself reaching for his hand, but he drew away when she touched him. "I'm sorry", she said, "I don't know what just came over me. Please, I would like to help if I can."

David looked at her. She was undeniably attractive. Slim, obviously looked after herself, she had lovely green eyes and wore her blond hair in a ponytail. Her jeans fitted her well and she had shapely legs.

The girl Eve was speaking again. Her voice brought him out of his reverie, and then she had touched his hand and he had jumped. That was bad, why did he do things like that?

The green eyes were looking at him.

Julie came out of the office. "Evie are you ok if I head off?"

Eve looked at David. His expression was sad, his hazel eyes downcast. Before she really thought about what she was doing she said "Will you walk with me David please?" They walked towards the carpark and Eve said, "What does Bryan love doing?"

"He likes racing cars and planes, oh, and animals."

"Great, I have a dog. Would you come on a dog walk with me?" Damn, she thought that came out wrong.

"Can Bryan come too?" he asked.

"Of course, I'd love that."

"Bryan loves dogs. We have two and sometimes I think he is closer to them than to people."

Eve smiled, "Great! I'll bring my Jack and we can all go together"

This is so unlike me, Eve thought, what on earth am I doing? But she also knew this man and his son needed her help. David looked at her and, although part of him very much wanted to spend time with Eve, it had been so long. When she said he could bring Bryan and their two dogs he felt better and maybe it would help Bryan.

It was a lovely evening. The sun was still warm and the leaves of the ancient oaks that surrounded the school were just starting to turn to the golden hues of autumn. In another few weeks she knew the forest would be a golden carpet of leaves in every shade of brown and gold. Working in a small village school like this had its perks, and walking in the ancient woodland was one of her favourites.

They met at the head of the path that led into the woodland. Eve let Jack, her Springer Spaniel off the lead and he shot off, tail wagging furiously, until he remembered the two other dogs. Eve said to Bryan "What are your dogs called? I know Jack would love to play with them".

Jack, for his part, sat watching, his lips pulled back in what he thought passed for a smile. His tail swished dirt and leaves around as he looked on.

Bryan looked up at his father, the unspoken question in his eyes. David nodded and Bryan said in a whisper. "The brown one is Daisy, she's a beagle, and the furry one is Oscar, he's a mixture."

David watched as Eve knelt and said "Nice to meet you, Daisy." Bryan said, "If you hold your hand out she'll shake hands with you." Eve smiled and offered her hand. Daisy extended a paw and let Eve take it. "Good girl Daisy," Bryan said.

From behind them, Jack gave a soft woof. Bryan unclipped Daisy's lead and she shot over to Jack and they did the kiss chase sniff my butt thing that dogs do when they meet.

Eve said, "Does Oscar do the same trick?" Bryan said, "Oh yes, and he can count. Watch." Bryan said "Oscar 5". The little dog shuffled his feet then offered up his left paw, Bryan shook it and the dog put his paw down. Bryan said "Oscar 10". This time the little dog rocked back on his butt and offered both front paws.

They all laughed at his antics and Bryan let him loose and he scampered off after the other two with Bryan in hot pursuit, leaves flying in their wake.

David walked up beside Eve and said. "Thank you so much for this. Seeing Bryan happy makes my heart sing and for him to talk to you is so unusual for him."

Eve said, "You're welcome, I enjoy this too. Walking Jack is a daily job and it's much more fun with someone to talk to." They walked in silence for a few minutes.

Eve said "So what do you do David? For work I mean. It must be difficult with Bryan and all."

He looked at her, his smile gone. "I do the best I can," he said, his tone defensive, "It's not my fault his mother ran off, yet people keep blaming me for it."

He was almost shouting now "I loved her, but she hated being pregnant and as soon as Bryan was born she disappeared. I tried to find her but she was gone and now people point their fingers and make comments and poor Bryan is the victim. He's not stupid, he knows what people say." He was no longer shouting, and just looked defeated.

Eve had backed off when he started angrily, but now she felt so sorry for him. He obviously cared very much, but this was a situation he was not equipped to deal with. She looked at him and saw the pain in those hazel eyes. She reached out and drew him into a hug. He was stiff as a board, his arms hanging limply by his sides.

She whispered in his ear, "Hold me David. I'm here for you both. I want to help. Please let me." Slowly he raised his arms and encircled her lithe frame.

"Thank you, Miss Elliott," he said she giggled, "Eve, call me Eve," she said. She was suddenly aware of the dogs around her feet and when she pulled away, she saw Bryan standing about 20 feet away just staring at them.

"Hi Bryan," she said with a smile and watched in horror as the boy just turned and ran. "Oh my God I'm so sorry" she called after him, but he had disappeared. David grabbed her hand, and they ran in the direction the youngster had gone, calling his name. The dogs thought this was a great game.

It was as Eve ran out of breath and stood hands on her knees that her dog Jack came running over and nudged her with his muzzle. "Hi Jack" she panted. She noticed the spaniel's tail was not wagging and he had a worried look in his eye. "What's up Jack? Show me" she said. Jack did his circle dance, the one he did when he wanted her to follow him and ran off in a completely different direction.

She called "David this way" and trotted off after the dog. They were heading deeper into the woods. Jack came running back to make sure she was following and then headed off. In the distance, she could hear dogs barking. Oh my God, she thought. She had visions of huge dogs standing over the boy's body.

David was close behind her and, as they rounded a large oak tree, they saw all three dogs sitting at the base of the old tree stump barking happily.

Eve's heart fell "No you stupid mutt we're not chasing squirrels today."

The dogs ignored her. David rushed past her and when he got to the tree he started laughing.

Eve ran up to see what he was laughing at and stopped dead. Sitting in the hollowed-out tree trunk was Bryan. Oscar was lapping his face where he had been crying.

Bryan held a hand out to his son. "Come here little man" he said gently, "what's the matter? Are you ok? You scared me, us, to death."

Bryan unfolded from the tree stump and fell into his father's arms. "Why was she fighting with you?" he sobbed, pointing at Eve.

David hugged his son and said quietly "Oh Bryan, Eve wasn't fighting with me, what you saw was what happens when a man and woman like each other."

Eve had turned away trying to give them some privacy, but when she heard what David said she turned, she had a tear in her eye.

David waved her closer and she walked towards them. As she approached she saw the boy flinch so she stopped. David waved her closer and said softly, "It's ok".

She slowly moved closer until she could put her arms around them. She knelt and said to the boy, "I'm sorry we frightened you, Bryan. You see I like you and your daddy very much and I was just showing your daddy how I felt that's all."

The dogs were busy snuffling around in the hedgerow, all except Jack who hadn't left her side. Eve said, "Would you both like to come to my house for pizza?" Jack gave an excited bark. "Not for you boy, pizza no good for puppies."

David looked at his son, "Well? What do you think? Would you like tea with this lovely young lady? I know I would." The boy nodded shyly.

As they started to walk back David suddenly said, "I'm an engineer." Eve looked at him puzzled, "Before all the excitement you asked what I do for work. I'm an engineer. I have a small engineering business that makes bespoke parts for racing cars."

She looped her arm through his and they chatted about this and that until they reached the head of the trail.

They wrangled the dogs onto their leads and headed for Eve's cottage. Bryan was still very quiet but he did at least not freak out when Eve and his father held hands. He walked a few paces behind with Daisy and Oscar. Jack trotted alongside his mistress keeping a watchful eye on proceedings.

They had a pleasant evening. Even Bryan talked of his love of racing cars and how sometimes his dad took him to work and he saw the cars, and once he had even sat in one.

Eventually, David said "Well young man, you've had quite the day. We must be getting home. Bedtime for you sonny Jim."

Bryan had dozed off on the sofa surrounded by sleeping dogs while David and Eve had coffee. They had walked from their house so David would either have to carry the boy or wake him completely, neither of which he wanted to do. Eve thought about offering to let them stay the night, it seemed so natural, but she caught herself and instead offered to drive them home. It wasn't far, after all, it was a very small village.

As Eve pulled up outside a nice cottage she noted the half-timbered construction and the thatched roof. David carefully lifted the sleeping boy and, before he took him inside, he asked Eve to wait for him so they could say goodnight.

When he came back out a few minutes later he said. "I'm sorry about leaving you out here. It's just I don't want to frighten you with my mother, she can be quite intimidating."

"Would that be who Julie spoke to earlier?"

"Yes, I was at work"

Eve bit her lower lip and looked up into his eyes. He gazed back. "Er, Eve, it's been great this afternoon and you have been great with Bryan, he loves your dog". She smiled at him and, before she knew it, they kissed.

Eve stood gazing at him "I must go,"

David said, "Can I, er we, see you again?"

"Of course, I'd love to"

David said. "Eve do you like history?"

"Yes, I love history. Why?"

"Well history is a hobby of mine and I'm taking a history tour of the local area tomorrow for the local history society."

"That sounds great, can I bring Jack"

"Of course."

"Is Bryan coming?"

David flushed a little. "Well normally no, I can't really look after him and lead the tour, and my mother will never be able to walk that far, so he has to miss out."

"Do you think he would walk with me?" Eve asked a little sheepishly, she didn't want David to feel she was pushing her way into his family.

David said, "I'll ask him in the morning."

"Where should I meet you?" Eve asked.

"Do you know Bluecoat Yard?"

"No. I've heard of it" Eve said, "but I haven't lived here all that long. I've been so busy I haven't explored much yet. I know it's very old though. That's one of the reasons I was so thrilled to get the job here."

David found an envelope and drew a map of how to get to Bluecoat Yard. "10.30," he said, "I'm really looking forward to seeing you again", shyly he added "I really like you, Eve."

Eve smiled and moved in for another kiss. When they parted she looked at him. "I must go David; I'll see you in the morning."

As Eve drove the quarter mile home she sang all the way. When she opened the door to her cottage Jack was waiting. She flopped on the sofa; "Come on little man, give mamma cuddles."

The dog jumped onto the sofa and snuggled in. "Well now young Jack, what do you make of today?" The dog looked at her with big brown eyes and she scratched behind his floppy brown ears, his favourite spot. The dog rolled on his back and presented his entire undercarriage for her inspection. She rubbed his belly. "Bedtime Jacko, big day tomorrow."

Eve got a glass of water and headed up the narrow stairs to her bedroom. Jack settled down on the sofa. She undressed and climbed into bed all the time thinking about the shy boy and his enigmatic father. She had been on her own since her breakup with Parker and now maybe that was going to end. She hoped so, she knew she really liked David. She couldn't help wondering though about his mother. How frightening could she be after all?

Part 3 -- Saturday

Saturday morning dawned bright, but although not that warm, looked perfect for a long walk in the autumn. Eve got out of bed and heard Jack stir downstairs. She put on a dressing gown and went down to let him out for his morning pee.

As usual, she was met with a smile and a waggy tail. "Morning Jack," she said. Jack did his happy dance and looked toward the door that led to the garden.

Eve let the dog out and put the kettle on for coffee. She heard the clock in the hall chime. 3 bells she thought, 09.30. The clock had belonged to her father and, unlike a normal clock, it chimed the "bells of the watch". Every time she heard it she smiled as she thought of him in his best blues, as he had been the last time she had seen him.

His ship had been headed for Cape Town when she had mysteriously vanished, and despite a massive search nothing had ever been found. Eve smiled to herself. Today was a day to be happy, not to reminisce.

She was going for a walk in the autumn sunshine with Jack, she was going to learn stuff, and she was going to be with her new boyfriend. She caught herself, did she really think that. She had only known him for about 18 hours, yet she knew she wanted it.

Eve used the toilet, got into the shower and, as the warm water started to cascade over her body, her mind turned to the events of last evening and, in particular, their kisses.

As the water ran in rivulets between her firm breasts she felt her nipples harden and the tingle deep inside her that had been absent for so long. She hoped he liked her body. She didn't have large breasts but they were firm enough for her not to need a bra, which she preferred; her nipples were amazingly sensitive; she had a flat stomach and, what she thought was her best feature, a tight heart-shaped bum; and her legs were strong and well-defined.

Navypilot
Navypilot
58 Followers