Someday Scores Settled? Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What does that mean?" Paula asked?

"It just means that eventually he will see with it. But for a few months he will have to wear a patch. He has a scratched lens. That will make the other eye more dominant as he develops, but that may be a good thing.

As I said before, any reconstructive surgery before reaching full maturity would not be advisable. The risk is too great. Any transplanted bone would not develop and grow at the same rate as his natural facial bone. This is going to be very difficult for you as parents. As for Ryan, he is at a tender emotional stage of his life as a teenager.

Next, he has an area of hair that has literally been scalped from his forehead to half way his crown. Again, that will take some experimental surgery to repair. Some research is being done to create a domed area where excess skin is stretched to grow hair. The excess is then pulled over the scalped area. That takes considerable time.

His nose has been broken and a nostril torn badly. We can stitch that up to where it should not be too much of a problem. But he will be left with a broken bone in his nose and we won't know what it will look like until after it heals. And there's more. His chin and jawbone were broken. He now has a noticeable receding chin line.

To add insult to injury none of this is covered by insurance. The insurance companies would classify this as cosmetic surgery and would deny Ryan benefits on that basis alone. I'll help you folks out as much as I can but they are not easy to deal with.

Stan Gunnels was a proud man as he muttered obscenities under his breath. He wanted so much to help his step-son. He didn't want charity. He felt hopeless. He knew the deal. Clark's Tobacco Company would be reducing his benefits and Ryan would be removed from his coverage after the medical expense claims came in on the accident. He had seen it happen to other employees who had major medical expenses.

Stan hated to kiss anyone's ass. But in this case, he knew he had no choice. He had to grin and bear Mr. Clark's boasting of young Jack's athletic superiority, particularly in the rigged bike race.

Dr. Larkin continued. "We will keep Ryan in the hospital for a couple of weeks until the swelling goes down. Then we will take some of the bandages off. I will treat his wounds on a regular basis and we will be having some discussions about a plan of dealing with this situation. I'm taking a personal interest in this case."

Paula Gunnels gave Dr Larkin a polite hug and said, "Thank you so much Dr. Larkin. You know we really appreciate what you have done." She noticed a slight trembling in his body as he released her. There was something very strange in Dr. Larkin's reaction and it shocked her to the core. A cold chill ran through her. Not his voice but his speech pattern seemed strangely familiar. She wasn't quite sure what Dr. Larkin meant with that statement. He wasn't her Doctor when Ryan was born but there was something about him. She paused and thought, "No it couldn't be. Doug was killed in Korea."

Big Stan shook hands with the good Doctor and wished he could think of something to say. The words didn't come.

*** <> ***

When Ryan would go back into the Dr. Larkin's office he noticed that he was the one who chose to redress his wounds. As much as his receptionist could work it into his appointment schedule, Ryan would be scheduled at the end of the day. Dr Larkin always liked to spend a little extra time with Ryan.

Dr. Larkin explained the details about each of the injuries. He seemed to have a deep sense of understanding about Ryan's situation.

He began; "the most difficult thing you are going to deal with now, at your age is being accepted by your old friends and classmates as normal. You are going to experience every difficult emotion a boy your age can experience. Your old friends will shun you for a while until they get to know you all over again. Some will even say unkind things. You will become a different person to them. You will develop a new personality."

Ryan just listened in awe without complete understanding. All of a sudden, he felt afraid, alone and insecure. He had seen young kids stare at him. It made him feel self conscious and different.

Dr. Larkin continued, "We...you and I, are going to rebuild your personality. We are going to look at these adversities as motivation. And you are going to emerge from this a much stronger and richer human being. It won't be easy. Just trust me."

"Let's change the subject a little and let me ask you a few questions. Do you like to spend time in the woods? Do you like to hunt? Do you like to fish? Would you like to learn photography? My guess is that you do."

Ryan's distorted face brightened, and a crooked smile emerged. He answered, "Yes, very much."

I know you work hard around you Dad's farm and that's all good for you. But I want you to take some time during the weekends and walk into the woods, find yourself a comfortable place to sit and take in everything around you. Make a mental note of the things you see. Be aware of the different sounds you hear. Ask yourself questions like 'how?' and 'why?'

*** <> ***

After school Ryan had an appointment with Dr. Larkin. Dr. Larkin looked at Ryan's face closely and said, "Ryan your injuries have healed up nicely and I don't need to see you anymore to take care of them."

Ryan should have been happy about that. Most young men his age didn't like going to the doctor. Ryan had developed a relationship with Dr. Larkin that involved a new way of coping with his injuries. He felt lost and abandoned. He tried to speak but for some reason he couldn't collect his thoughts. He kept saying, "What about...what about...you know the woods...taking all those photographs...are we finished?"

"Dr. Larkin smiled with more understanding than Ryan realized and said, "Ryan, from now on, I want you to call me Doc. I meant that I would not need to treat these injuries any more."

But if you could drop by after school two or three times a week I have some things you could do for our office. I will pay you. Do you think you could work that into your schedule? I know your Mom and Dad depend on you a lot to feed the animals and keep the grass cut around the house. I don't want you neglecting any of your studies either. Just maybe we can continue our talks about your activities in the woods.

"I would love that. I'll work it out with Mom and Dad. What do you want me to do," Ryan asked?

Instead of directly answering Ryan's question the doctor asked, "Is your bike in good shape, now."

"Yes, Dad found another rear wheel and bought a new chain for it. I put it all back together."

"Your Dad is one of the finest men I have ever known. Be proud of him."

"Thanks Doc., I think he is too. He works so hard for Mom and me." Then with a puzzled look on his face Ryan asked, "Have you known my Dad before?"

Dr. Larkin knew he had spoken without thinking. His past military background had taught himself to pay close attention to details. Today he let himself down. He had to be better than that. Otherwise, he would blow his cover. "Oh...Oh, I mean I have just gotten to know him since you had your accident."

That satisfied Ryan's curiosity. He turned to leave.

Dr. Larkin called him back and asked, "When are you going to show me the shelter you've made? I want to see it."

"Anytime," Ryan said. "Let me tell you about it."

"No...No...No, I can't right now Ryan. I've got to get back to work. Patients are waiting. How about seven o'clock Saturday morning before Thanksgiving. That's four weeks away. Do you think your folks will be ok with that?"

"They won't mind, but why so late?"

Dr. Larkin laughed and said, "Get out of here and I'll see you then. Oh, by the way I'd like for you to start work next week."

"That would be great, Thanks Doc."

12