Someone Borrowed, Someone Blue Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next forty-five minutes or so passed at an amiable lope, with members of our table coming and going for various reasons. Aside from getting another round I stayed put, and Tish hadn't left at all. She seemed to be enjoying herself, but her eyes occasionally wandered over to the table her father was seated at. Salads came and went, and soon after the DJ asked everyone to return to their seats so they could start calling tables up to the serving stations. Before that got started we had the toasts - the best man's was funny and sweet, while Theresa did an effective job of leaning heavily on the sister/best friend angle. Tish rolled her eyes as she mimed clapping at the end.

"So, if you don't mind getting me another drink - something stronger, please - I'm going to go over and talk to my father now."

I stood up as she did. "You okay alone? Sure you don't want me to go with?"

"I do, actually, but he'll try to use you as a distraction. I'm going to say what I want to say and bail as soon as I want to." She rolled her neck. "I don't owe him anything."

"Okay. I have faith in you." I held up my fist for a bump. "No fratricide, though. Definitely frowned on at weddings."

She smiled and shook her head, knocking her knuckles with mine before heading off. I was admiring the view when she looked back over her shoulder and busted me with a smirk. After offering a sheepish grin in reply I spun and headed to the outside deck.

"So what's your story, pal?"

I stopped short - literally - as Aaron and two other guys stepped in to block my path. He and his bros had been dancing up a storm before this and, judging by the glassiness of his eyes, doing more than a few shots as well. Better try to diffuse this situation before it got ugly. Uglier.

"Hey, I'm Ted," I said, sticking out my hand. "You're Aaron, right? Nice to meet you."

He stared at my hand for a few seconds, as if I were offering a mackerel instead, before taking it in his and doing his best to crush it. I'd seen that coming a mile away and did my best to keep it even, although the little shit was strong as hell.

"Yeah, I'm Aaron, and you didn't answer me." He relinquished my hand and crossed his arms, while the other two stood behind him and glowered. "What's your deal? Where did she find you?"

"Find me?" I realized that, without thinking, I'd shifted my feet into a defensive stance. I hoped it wasn't going to come to that. "Not sure what you mean. I'm her date."

"Yeah, but you're a normal-looking guy and she's a big, fat diesel dyke. She hire you?" He gave me what I'm sure he assumed to be a reassuring nod. "Bro, you can trust me. I'm right, no? You're from some sort of escort agency?"

While I kinda wanted to punch him in the face I chose to laugh instead. "Sorry, but I consider myself lucky that she invited me to come here with her. She's amazing, man. But listen, I have a question for you, if you don't mind."

That confused him, as it wasn't the reaction he'd expected. "Uhm, okay, I guess."

"Cool. Thanks." I leaned in a little. "So, does your wife know you're banging Moira?"

Oh, to be able to play poker with this one. First his eyes widened, then the color drained from his face. There was a bit of sputtering before he shook his head. "What did you s-"

"The redhead, the thin one." I gave him a big wink. "Way you two were looking at each other during the ceremony, I thought you might toss her up on the podium and dive in right after the rings got exchanged. Good for you, man. Get what you can while you can, right?"

One of the guys behind him gave him a tap on the shoulder. "Hey, is that true?"

Aaron spun around. "No, it's not true!" Judging by his friend's reaction he was less than convincing. As they started yammering at each other I took the opportunity to step away and make my escape to the courtyard, breathing a sigh of relief. Others had discovered it as well, and the line for a drink was longer than I cared to stand in at the moment. If I went back inside I ran the risk of seeing Aaron and company again, so instead I stepped off into what I assumed was a deserted, out-of-the-way corner.

Oops. It was indeed not deserted. As I stumbled to a stop I recognized Sam Gauthier, father of the bride, leaning against a stone railing as he took a long drag on a cigarette, the tip glowing an angry orange. "Sorry," I mumbled, turning to go.

He waved a hand. "Plenty of room." Tilting his head, he pointed at me. "You're the fella here with Lettie."

"Lettie?" I chuckled. "Never heard her called that before." I stuck out my hand. "I'm Ted. Congratulations."

We shook, him making noticeably less effort to pulverize my fingers than his son-in-law did. "Thanks. Not sure a day could be more bittersweet, but I appreciate the sentiment." He pulled a mostly-empty pack out of his jacket and waggled it toward me. "Want one?"

"No, thanks." I didn't feel it was necessary to add that I didn't smoke. "It's gorgeous out here."

He nodded, stowing his cigarettes. "And necessary as well, as I can't smoke in my own hotel. Not without my daughter clucking at me, anyway." Sam donned a rueful smile. "Ah, well. How's Lettie doing?"

"Very well. She's going to be the coach of a D2 college that's moving up to D1, which is a tremendous opportunity for her."

"That's excellent, I'm glad to hear that. I always felt bad for her after the Olympics thing, when she got hurt." He took another drag, blowing his smoke upward. "You two close? If you don't mind me asking?"

I thought about it for a second. "Yeah, we are. She's a wonderful person."

"You love her?"

This wasn't something I needed to talk about with someone I didn't know, so you can imagine how surprised I was when I answered without hesitation. "Yes, I do." I mean, I knew I loved her as a friend and certainly my long-standing attraction to her was old knowledge, but it dawned on me that my feelings for her ran a lot deeper than that. At least, that's what it felt like. Was I being overly dramatic? Was I just caught up in the surroundings? Was I confusing love with lust? Ye gods, what a mess I was.

With a start I realized Sam had asked me something. Shaking off my woolgathering, I tapped my ear. "Sorry, I missed that."

"So you know about what she... grew up with? Around?" He had the good grace to look mildly chagrined.

"Uhm, yes." Oh, boy.

He finished his butt and dropped it to the stone, crushing it underfoot. "She didn't deserve any of that. I wish the girls had been nicer to her about it, it wasn't her fault." He shrugged. "It was kind of a mess, and they were just kids too."

I made a non-committal noise, unwilling to give him the exoneration he seemed to be fishing for. The moment stretched as he fumbled his pack back out, uncomfortableness threatening to take on tangible form. Escape came from an unexpected but most welcome source, taking the form of a tall, leggy middle-aged woman with her blonde hair cut stylishly short. She glided over to Sam, planting a kiss on his cheek and taking him by the arm. "You're needed back inside, dear."

With a nod in my direction she guided him past, my sigh of relief holding until I was sure they were far enough away. A glance over my shoulder showed the line was gone, so I grabbed Tish a rum and Coke and started to head back inside, figuring I'd weathered the storm.

"Hello, beard." Theresa barreled up to me so quickly I figured she was going to lower her shoulder and try to send me sprawling, but she settled for being in my face instead. Well, she wasn't tall enough for that so waved a finger in front of my nose.

Ye gods, these people. Keep killing them with kindness. "Hi, I'm Ted. We met earlier but it was less vocal and more 'death-glaring' on your part."

"Shut up." Immune to my charms, imagine that. "You're Lettie's beard. Guys haven't even touched one another all day, it's so obvious."

My brow furrowed as I tried to parse what she was talking about. "I'm her... beard?"

Noise of disgust, rolled eyes, fingernails drumming on her arm. Theresa had this act down. "Yes, her beard. She's a lesbian, obviously, and you're covering for her. Probably a queer too, right?"

Wow, she and Aaron were *perfect* for one another. She scowled as I started laughing, using both hands to keep Tish's drink from spilling. When I managed to catch my breath I said, "If Tish were gay, which she's not, and if she'd brought me along as cover, which she didn't, I'd be her merkin, not her beard. Which I'm not." I wiped at my eyes, still chuckling. "Why are you so angry?"

She ignored my question, her mouth pressing into a thin line. "Sorry I'm not up on homo-speak. Whatever you want to call it, you're not a couple. You're not even staying in the hotel. Why?" She put her hand on her hip, expression triumphant. "Can't even stand to share a room to make the lie work?"

So much venom in such a small package. There were at least a dozen ways I could have escalated the situation but why bother? "We didn't want to take the chance that our room would be a broom closet next to the ice machine. I've heard the manager here has some anger issues."

Fine, I escalated it a little bit. Sue me.

Theresa's eyebrows lowered as her upper lip curled, and inwardly I lamented my choice as it looked like she was going to explode. But as she raised a finger and started to open her mouth, a young woman in catering clothes darted out from the ballroom and ran over to us. Catching Theresa's attention, she leaned in and whispered something in her ear. Whatever it was made her mouth look like it was sucking on a crate of lemons, and with a wave of her hand she muttered, "I'll be right there." As the woman scurried away Theresa waved her finger in my face again. "We're not done," she promised, before storming off.

I refrained from responding, wondering where the next bolt of lightning was coming from. When nothing happened I helped myself to a sip of Tish's drink and, after taking a deep breath, headed into the ballroom. To my surprise I managed to make my way back to the table unmolested, arriving just as Tish came bustling back over, still looking unspeakably gorgeous. Taking the drink from my hand, she drained about half of it before grabbing my hand and giving it a tug. "C'mon. Dance with me."

My protests about having three left died unspoken as I let myself be pulled along. I could see the stress in both Tish's face and shoulders, and my complete lack of rhythm was going to be sacrificed on the altar of friendship.

Or love.

Or maybe both.

Fuck, this was confusing.

Right as we got out there the peppy song that I knew was popular but couldn't have told you who it was by for all the coconut shrimp at this wedding ended and the DJ, after telling all the couples to 'get the heck out there on the dance floor,' put on something slow. I wasn't sure if that's what Tish had in mind but her arms went around my neck, prompting me to put mine around her waist. I could feel her shaking a bit as we pulled together. "You okay?"

She nodded, taking a deep breath and looking me in the eyes. "Yeah. It... it was a little more emotional and difficult than I expected. Frustrating too, since he kept interrupting me." I don't know if she was aware her face had adopted a snarl, but it smoothed out after a moment. "Had to be done, though, and at least it didn't turn into a shouting match. All done." She let out a long, shuddering sigh before placing her head on my shoulder and tightening her grip around me as we swayed on the dance floor. "Thanks for being here, Bear."

"Anytime." We fell silent after that, her breath tickling the side of my neck as I did my best not to be completely overwhelmed by the feel of her pressed against me, the bare expanse of her shoulder against my cheek. Her perfume was subtle and sweet, her dress rustling as we rocked back and forth, one of her braids lying against the side of my head. I couldn't tell you how long that song went on for, or even who it was by, but for the duration it felt like we were the only two people in the world and that all was well. I didn't overanalyze it, try to move it along, or dwell on how much I was going to miss her when she was gone.

I just enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what kind of DJ only plays one slow song at a time but in my opinion it's a crappy one. A thumping bass accompanied by excited shouts from female voices let us know our dance was over, and we pulled our heads up like two people emerging from a deep sleep. At arm's length Tish gave me a shy smile as she flipped her head back to clear her braids and just like at the quarry, I was struck by the notion that this was the perfect moment to kiss her. It hit all the right notes, it had the tableau, all I needed to do was lean forward... but I hesitated, and it was gone. Even as I cursed myself for my cowardice yet again Tish planted a kiss on my cheek, soft and sweet.

And safe.

"C'mon," she said, grabbing my arm. "Let's go get some air. So, anything interesting happen while I was gone?" she asked, gazing at me with infinite patience as I doubled over with laughter.

By the time we got out on the patio and were armed with fresh drinks I'd recovered enough to recount the visitation from the ghosts of Letisha Past, Present, and Future. She alternated between cracking up and being outraged, glaring over my shoulder back into the reception hall from time to time. The sunset was doing a spectacular job behind her, pinks and purples framing her with an artist's touch. She made a joke at Theresa's expense that set her to laughing again, her teeth flashing white against the blue of her lips, and I felt my idiot heart ping within my chest. As she swept her braids away from her face I was struck again by how glorious she was, so utterly lovely and smart and funny and unique... and soon to be far out of reach, far beyond hope. She took a sip of her drink, eyes brushing across mine for a moment, and as she lowered her glass the urge, the desire, the inexorable need to kiss her surged through me again and...

... I went for it. Cowards be damned, I went for it.

Her gaze had flicked over my shoulder again and I'm pretty sure she was about to say something, but by then my eyes had closed as my mouth met hers. Her lips were cool from her drink, and for a moment that felt like eons but was probably a half of a second there was no reaction from her, nothing at all. With the uncanny speed our minds possess I was already compiling excuses and apologies, cursing my stupidity and hoping our friendship could be salvaged, when I felt her arms slide around my back, her lips pressing back against mine, a murmur vibrating up from somewhere inside her. I returned the embrace, the question of whether or not to intensify the kiss answered for me as I felt her tongue, shy and inquisitive, venturing forth. I was dimly aware of parts of my body reacting in ways that said parts were supposed to react, and the resulting surges racing through me moistened the corners of my eyes. Somehow I'd managed to misread the situation, whether from day one or recent developments, but I could feel her response, the shared passion, the mutual eagerness. We weren't mauling each other like a couple of high school kids in the balcony of a movie theater but there was no mistaking the message here - we were meant to be.

All in all the kiss lasted less than ten seconds or so, but as we slowly drew apart my head was spinning as if I'd been inhaling nitrous oxide. I blinked a few times to clear my thoughts, a goofy grin settling in place as I noticed Tish doing the same thing. A huge smile split her face as well, making me want to kiss her again immediately, as her eyes looked over my shoulder.

"How did you know?" she asked, her voice husky, breathy.

"What? I mean, I dunno." I gave her a little shrug. "I guess-"

"That was *perfect,*" she said, hands coming up to my cheeks. "Fucking perfect. How did you know?"

Time to fess up about how I really felt. "I mean, I could have done it sooner, like at the -"

She shook her head, giddy, before looking over her shoulder. "I mean, is there a mirror back there or something? I don't see it but Bear, you nailed it so perfectly! Theresa steaming up behind you, about to try to embarrass us for being phonies, and you didn't look, you didn't see her coming, but BAM! You dropped that kiss on me, just perfect timing, and by the time we were done all I saw was her bony ass stalking back the way she came." She leaned in and kissed my cheek again. "Perfect, Bear, just perfect! How did you know she was coming?"

Oh.

Oh, no.

I did my best to keep the smile from slipping off my face, trying to fathom the wild swing I'd just taken from euphoria to despair. Tish thought I'd kissed her to put Theresa in her place, which meant that she'd only kissed me back as part of the act, no? That's what happened, right? And how the hell was I supposed to figure out if that wasn't the case? I stifled a groan as she swept me in for a thorough hug, her lips next to my ear, her voice jubilant.

"How did you know she was there, Bear?"

I wondered if she could hear the dismay in my voice. "Just lucky, I guess."

***********************