Soon Pt. 03

Story Info
Together at last.
7.1k words
4.88
5.8k
13

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers

Geoff was awake long before the sun rose. It was the first time in years he truly looked forward to celebrating Christmas. He wandered through the house while imagining decorations everywhere. When he walked into the kitchen, he swore he could smell a holiday meal. Then reality hit. The rooms were dark... and empty.

After he left the military, he worked hard to establish his company. With all the constant dealings, he stayed busy. There had always been a new venture, another merger. One day was the same as the next. Weeks, months, even years... they all passed while he built an empire--not for the money but because he saved jobs. It was a way of giving back, something his grandfather had done as well.

He never thought about how alone he was until he met Poppy and Robin. They brought a joy to his life he hadn't even realized was missing. Listening to the young girl made him smile. Everything in her life changed when COVID hit yet her main complaint was that she couldn't play with her friends from school.

Geoff was restless. Watching the clock didn't help either. He tried to work on the house but he couldn't concentrate. Finally, he decided to clear out some of the extra materials sitting around. He put them all in the current mudroom until it was time to shower and dress. When he opened his closet, he swore. Because he initially planned to be working on the house and yard, he only packed old jeans and shirts. The remainder of his wardrobe was in his apartment. Then he remembered the casual outfits he brought back from the week he spent at his headquarters. He paired khaki slacks with a burgundy colored sweater. Carrying a dozen bags and packages, he walked to Robin's house.

In the past, Robin and Poppy opened their gifts before breakfast. Having to wait caused the seven-year-old to whine and complain. Robin held back from yelling but finally sent her daughter to her room. The mother wouldn't admit it but she was on edge. No one had joined them for Christmas since Poppy's father left.

Once Poppy had been old enough to verbalize her wishes for the day, they made up a plan, including their meals, and stuck to it. Robin didn't mind. She didn't have to figure out what to cook each year. With her daughter at the age she wanted to help decorate the house, they slowly came up with things the child could do by herself. Lost in thought, Robin didn't hear the knock on the door.

Geoff shifted the packages he held and knocked a second time on the door. He had debated walking around to the front of the house but decided to go to the back the way he always did. Robin finally answered, making him think she had been in the middle of something.

"Merry Christmas, Robin," he said with a smile.

"Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too. You didn't have to get anything," she said when she saw all the bags and packages he held. "That's not why we invited you."

"I never thought it was."

"Well, I'm sure whatever you chose will make Poppy happy."

Geoff didn't answer. He hadn't only bought gifts for the young girl. He had several for Robin as well but he didn't want to ruin the surprise. Instead, he turned the subject away.

"It smells great in here."

"I thought about making something special but stuck with something simple that Poppy likes. She had so many changes to handle over the year that I didn't want to add another one."

"I could have pitched in, you know. I'm not the greatest cook but I can read recipes."

Robin laughed. She tried to imagine him in the kitchen trying to make a dish just from a recipe.

"OK, so maybe not but I know how to call and have something delivered," he said, grinning at her as he spoke.

Just then, Poppy ran into the room. Robin wasn't sure if she heard them talking or if she had been bored and just wanted out of her room.

"Merry Christmas," she yelled. "Did you bring presents?"

"I found these on my porch. Santa must have dropped them off at the wrong address."

"Are they for me?"

"Well, I saw your name on the top one. Have you been good this year?"

"I was--most of the time. Sometimes I forgot."

Poppy looked at the floor. The happiness Geoff saw on her face disappeared. He was sure he saw a tear in her eye. He thought back to when he had been her age. How would he have managed to get through months of limitations the way she had to?

"I think Santa can forgive you this year. He knows it's been rough on all kids," Geoff replied, reassuring the child.

Robin crouched next to her daughter. "If I was Santa, I would say you did amazing this year."

Poppy smiled again. She hugged her mother then moved toward Geoff. Although he had a mask with him, he hadn't remembered to put it on. However, Robin didn't say anything when her daughter put her arms around his waist. They had been home for months, staying away from anyone who might pass the virus on to them. Besides, she knew Geoff--and all the crews working on his house--always wore masks. It was time to let go of her fear and live a normal life again.

"Do you want to see our tree, Mr. Geoff?"

"I sure do. We should put these presents by it too," he said, smiling at Robin as he followed Poppy to the living room. "Maybe I should put bigger numbers on my house so Santa doesn't get mixed up again next year."

"Big ones, like this," she replied, holding her hand as high as she could. "And put lights on it so when Santa flies over he can see them. But then he might think kids live there and forget to stop at my house."

Geoff smiled. "I don't think he'll ever forget where you live."

Robin listened as she walked behind them. Geoff was so good with Poppy. As she had before, she questioned why her ex-husband didn't want anything to do with his daughter. However, it was his loss.

Poppy pointed to assorted ornaments on the tree she had made. Her enthusiasm showed on her face. Geoff smiled as he took in the holiday decorations. Nothing looked expensive--or breakable. It was a tree meant to enjoy, not as a showpiece like his parents had. He found an empty spot and set everything down.

"Mama, can we open presents?"

"We're going to eat first. I have it all ready," Robin said.

"I hope you cooked something good, Poppy. I'm really hungry."

Geoff patted his stomach as he talked. Poppy giggled and took his hand as they returned to the kitchen. He didn't catch everything she said, but that wasn't new. The child often talked about several things at once. He didn't care, though. As long as she was happy, he would listen, nodding and grinning off and on as if he understood her.

"Look, Mr. Geoff. I put the dishes on the table again. Mama helped me with the tablecloth though. It has Santa and trees and presents and even snowmen on it."

"I love it," Geoff said. "Maybe I should get one."

"You don't even have a real table yet." Poppy shook her head and giggled again.

"Ah, you're right. Maybe next year I will."

While talking to the little girl, he noticed Robin went into the kitchen. He promised himself he would find time to talk to her about his life before the end of the year. He hadn't finished his thoughts when Robin called them to the table. Poppy sat in her usual spot, as did Robin. Geoff took the last remaining seat. As he looked around, he was sure if anyone saw them, they would assume they were a family.

They talked as they ate. Poppy tried to guess what was in the packages Geoff brought with him. He continued to tell her they were from Santa. Robin listened as her daughter named odd items she thought they might be. Geoff shrugged and said Santa was the only one who knew. Of course, Poppy was at the age she wasn't sure she believed there was a real Santa Claus, so she was suspicious of his answers.

"Mama, I'm done eating. Can we open presents now?"

"We have to take care of the leftovers first. Help me and it will only take a couple minutes."

"I can help if you tell me what to do," Geoff said.

With the table empty again, they went into the living room. Poppy sat on the floor within inches of the tree. Robin curled up on the sofa. Geoff dropped onto a footstool near them.

"Poppy, before you start opening anything, I want you to remember what we talked about last night. Christmas isn't about how many presents you get. Many children won't receive even one gift."

Poppy nodded, deep in thought, making the adults wonder what was on her mind. They waited but she didn't say anything. Robin smiled, giving her permission to open a present. Geoff wasn't surprised when she picked a large box labeled from Santa as her first choice.

"I hope Santa didn't think I was the kid when he left that at my house. He might have put something like a fire truck in there." Geoff grinned. "Or it might even be some toy soldiers."

Of course, Geoff knew it was a complete set of books recently released from a popular children's publisher. Robin watched as the pair bantered back and forth. When Poppy finally got the box open, she carefully lifted the books out, placing them in front of her as she pushed the packaging to the side. She ran a finger over the top one with care before hugging it close to her. That set the pattern for each of her gifts.

"Mama, can I give Mr. Geoff his presents now?"

Seeing her mother's quick nod, she moved to the back of the tree, bringing out a box with his name on the tag.

"This is from me and mama. We picked it out together."

Receiving a gift never crossed his mind. Geoff held it much the way Poppy had with the books. He glanced at Robin before carefully taking the tape and paper off. The last time anyone gave him a present--other than Max and his wife--had been when he was about Poppy's age. He knew even then that his parents hadn't done the shopping. Christmas Day never held a feeling of love and joy the way it should have.

"Do you need help? I'm good at ripping the paper off."

"You know, I think that's a great idea. How about if we each start at a different place and see who can take the most off first?"

As she had so often before, Robin marveled at the man's patience. Anyone seeing him with her daughter would assume he was her father. Her heart pounded as she imagined them as a family. Although she heard them talking, she didn't intrude. Poppy needed to feel special to someone other than her own mother. Geoff winked when he saw Robin watching them. She blushed, a faint pink coloring her cheeks. Both adults turned their attention back to Poppy as she ripped into the box for Geoff.

"This is... thank you, Poppy. I love it. I can't wait to hang it up," Geoff said when he saw the wooden welcome sign. "This will be perfect by the back door. I'll keep it in my office until the house is done. I wouldn't want it to get scratched up."

"Mama, can I get another one now?"

The time flew as the three of them took turns opening gifts. Poppy screamed when she saw a huge craft kit. Robin gasped when she saw the cream-colored purse from the famous maker Coach. She knew the prices were far higher than what she could afford even if she saved for a year. Geoff shrugged and smiled. He hugged Poppy when he opened the stack of papers she drew telling a story.

They finally had all the gifts opened. Poppy sat in the middle of hers, touching one, then another. Robin kept the Coach bag at her side, running her fingers over it when she thought he wasn't watching. Geoff stacked everything they gave him on the floor before standing up and looking down at Poppy.

"I have one more gift but I don't want you to peek. Maybe your mama can make some sort of blindfold for you. Does that sound all right?"

"How will I see to walk?"

"I'll carry you," Geoff said. "However, I don't want your mom to see until after you do so she has to wait in the living room."

Poppy nodded. Her eyes sparkled while her mother tied a towel over her eyes. Geoff lifted her into his arms and left the room. He hoped Robin stayed where she was. For some reason he didn't want to admit, he wanted to be the only one to see the girl's reaction. It didn't take long before he stopped.

"Merry Christmas, Poppy," he whispered as he removed the towel from over her eyes.

Expecting a scream of excitement, Geoff hadn't been prepared for silence... or tears.

Geoff kneeled in front of Poppy and held her hands. "Honey, what's wrong?"

"It's for me?"

"I built it just for you. It's even pink, one of your favorite colors. Go ahead. Look inside."

The sparkle returned to her eyes. Once she stepped inside, he crouched near the door to watch her. He hadn't wrapped anything yet she took her time with each item. Several craft kits covered the table. Books of all sizes on a wide range of topics filled the shelves. He stacked soft shirts and jackets on a small stand. A soft blanket draped over the chair where he put a bright pink pillow.

"I should get your mom like we promised. Are you all right staying here alone?" Geoff asked.

A quick glance his way was the only reply she gave. He chuckled as she turned from him to look at all the presents. He jogged to the back door and let himself in.

"Robin? Are you ready?"

"Where are we going?"

"Hey, do you trust me?" Geoff saw her nod and continued. "Then close your eyes and I'll take you to her. Promise me you won't look."

"OK but--"

"Please? Just take my hand and close your eyes."

Robin stared into his eyes and nodded. Even though she didn't know much about the man, she was positive he wouldn't do anything that would hurt her or her daughter. She held out her hand and closed her eyes.

"Good girl. Now then, I'll walk slowly so you can follow without tripping or falling."

He loved the way her hand felt in his. If it had been any other time, he would have pulled her into his arms and held her close. That would have to wait. He shook the images from his head as he walked across the grass to where he put the playhouse. Once there, he stopped. Then he squeezed her hand.

"Don't open your eyes yet. I want to let Poppy know we're here."

As eager as Robin was to know what was going on, she did as he said. Only a couple minutes passed before she felt Geoff's hand again.

"You can open them now."

Robin blinked a few times. She knew they had been in the backyard but nothing prepared her for the soft pink playhouse in front of her. The roof matched the one recently installed on Geoff's house. Even the basic shape resembled his.

"Mama, look! It's from Mr. Geoff. And it has books and crafts and a table and even a place to take a nap. Come and see," the child said, pulling on her mother's hand in her eagerness.

Robin struggled to hold back her tears. It was obvious Geoff paid attention to what her daughter treasured the most. They spent the next hour drawing pictures, only going back inside when Poppy asked for a snack, which turned into a meal of leftovers enjoyed around the Christmas tree. Robin couldn't remember the last time she felt the true joy of the holiday and knew it was because of Geoff.

Poppy had fallen asleep earlier than normal after the excitement of the day. The adults settled in the living room similar to how a married couple would relax at the end of the day. Geoff cleared his throat. He needed to begin before he changed his mind.

"Talking about myself isn't something I do, Robin, but I know you have questions. I can see them in your eyes."

His honesty settled Robin's nerves. "Where do you go when you leave town?"

"Have you ever heard of Holt Land Enterprises?"

Robin nodded. Although the company's base was in the western part of the United States, the owner showed up in the news quite often. They were worth more money than she could ever imagine. Their lifestyle--at least according to the media--matched that of an elite group of actors, musicians, and business owners.

"The original owner was my grandfather. My father took over when he died."

Geoff took a deep breath as memories from his past trickled through his mind. He wasn't anything like his family and often felt as if he didn't belong. Even though his grandfather owned a multi-million dollar company, he always made time for his family. His grandmother adored the man. She did whatever she could to make his days easier. Geoff loved spending time with them. It broke his heart when he lost them. His father took over the family business and it all changed. His parents held a huge party the day after his grandfather's funeral to let people know he was in charge. He took a swallow of wine to wet his dry throat and continued.

"My father loves the attention from the media and tends to act as if he's better than everyone else. He surrounds himself with employees who never question him and jump at anything he says. My family decided I should be a lawyer. They didn't ask me what I wanted or give me a choice, really. After two years taking classes I wasn't interested in, I left school and joined the Army. I knew my parents wouldn't approve so I didn't tell them until I was ready to leave for boot camp. I haven't talked to them since.

"I have my grandfather's head for business though, and after I left the Army, I began investing in companies falling into bankruptcy that I felt had potential to grow if handled better. Ironically, I soon discovered I needed a lawyer to take care of the endless legalities. Max and I met in the service and hit it off right away even though he's quite a bit older than I am. Thankfully, I was able to talk him into working for me. The man is a genius at what he does."

Robin sipped her wine as she listened. She was, by nature, curious. It was her way of learning about others.

"My headquarters are about six hours from here where I normally put in long days--and sometimes nights--working to turn around companies on the verge of closing and putting people out of work."

"That's your goal, isn't it? Helping others--not making money," Robin said.

"Money is nice. It makes life easier. Unlike my father, though, I care about people more than adding to my bank account. And I don't need the world trying to be my friend just because they want a handout. Seeing the house come alive again, getting my hands dirty... it feels good. Don't get me wrong. I love the business world and don't see that ever changing but I can do both. I don't always have to be at the company headquarters.

"In fact, I can work from anywhere. However, I wouldn't consider putting my employees out of work just because I decided to move," he said, taking another sip of wine.

"I can see how much you love what you do. It shows in your eyes when you talk about it."

Geoff laughed. "Yeah, I do. Nothing would be possible without my staff though. I appreciate them and compensate them well. This house was Bill and Penny's dream retirement home. When he got sick, they asked me if I was interested in it. Penny knew it would be too much for her to take care of alone. Plus, they wanted someone to restore the place with the attention to detail it deserved."

They sat in silence, both deep in thought. Robin realized Geoff had done all the talking while she hadn't shared anything about her own life.

"Poppy's father left when she was three. We divorced a few months later. I'm not sure if she even remembers him and he never contacts her. When we were married, I didn't work, choosing to be a stay at home mom instead. My husband was a banker so we did OK. One day I came home from running errands and found a note saying he wanted something more than the boring life we had."

Geoff felt Robin's pain. Yet he could tell she had more to say. He refilled their glasses and waited. The night air felt refreshing. He loved the outdoors.

"I guess I should be thankful he didn't totally empty our bank account but suddenly I had a mortgage and utilities to pay without a steady income to cover them. I had always liked working with numbers so I took classes at the local college and found a job as an accountant. I don't make much but I thought the child support the court ordered Poppy's father to pay would help." She laughed before continuing. "He never sent anything."

_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers
12