All Comments on 'Southern Hospitality'

by greatkahn

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Good story but

"What he did not expect was the collateral damage caused by his men, in which no civilian, crop, or animal was spared. "

Yes this is a story, but you don't have it listed under Science Fiction. So a couple of minor facts; 1. Gerneal Sherman went into Georgia knowing full well and desiring that the maximum amount of collateral damage would be done and desired that it should be done (Memoirs & Bruce Catton)

He wanted the ability of the South to support its Armies and itself finished. 2. I will give him, the historical fact that while he wanted pillage, burn, and plunder (burn after pillage and plunder); he did not want, excuse or accept rape. Rape was not acceptable to any military at the time and would (if senior officers became aware) be followed by courts martial and the death sentence.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
amazing!!

I loved this story. It seems like you really knew your characters well, and I appreciate you writing a story about the South! :)

As for the comment below, did you really need to pick apart the historical accuracy? I mean it feels like you missed the point of the story, although I certainly did learn something by reading your comment.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous