Spark the Runner Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the main part of the meal wound down, Okami spoke up.

Ambassador? she asked, waiting for Krisslum's attention. When she had it, she continued, I am about to commit a huge error in etiquette in the human world, and possibly in yours, and... please forgive me, but I must ask. If there are more of those incredible Ribeyes available when we are done, could I get a Canilupey-bag, to take some back to our apartment? They are absolutely the best steak I have had in forever.

Krisslum and Saelass both gave that short, barking laugh Spark had come to know.

My dear, Saelass intervened, it will be our pleasure to send a Sample Bag home with each of you. You need not ever be embarrassed around us about asking for what you want in a straightforward manner. One of the reasons we can be successful merchants across the stars is because we are not duplicitous. We do not try to take advantage of others to their detriment. Our arrangements are almost always mutually beneficial.

Which brings me around to telling you to hold your thought earlier, Okami, Krisslum picked up. Now is as good a time as any to broach our idea. We will let the entrees settle a bit before dessert.

Saelass and I were pondering how to judge your suitability as Solarian Ambassadors... representatives of Earth's people in trade negotiations and so forth. We have, in fact, two... no, make that three... different kinds of ambassadors we work with. The first are the fixed positions... usually two Crescians, one male, one female, on our part who take up official residence on the home planet of the race we want to have as trade partners. That would be Saelass and myself.

A second kind are what we would call The Deployed. They are the ones who travel between planets, negotiating deals on our behalf. They often have their counterparts from the other races, but sometimes they are simply Traveling Salesmen, in your parlance.

The third type are what we would call Councilors. They stay at home and keep track of all the trading and negotiating going on, and inform our King and Queen, making recommendations when necessary and so forth. Once every four or so Solarian years, we have a large gathering on Recensere where all the Deployed and the Councilors, along with any similar from our trade partners, convene for several days to conduct business, work out problems, and so on. One such convention is scheduled for the next Solarian month from now.

We had thought to send Erliss and her pod, with you, to the convention but have since had what we think is a better idea. We will be sending Leeanni to the Meet and invite you to accompany her. She is quite capable of guiding you through all the...

Bullshit, Leeanni interjected.

I prefer their term rigmarole, Krisslum thought back sharply, but with a suppressed smile. In any case, you would get to experience interstellar travel, our home world, and the sorts of peoples you would be expected to engage. I envision you as a sort of Deployed ambassadorial team for Earth. We, in the meantime, would hold off negotiating any contracts until you had an opportunity to experience our world and inform us of your opinions.

Spark, Tonya and Okami sat in stunned silence.

They had hoped to influence the Crescians' policies and contracts, depriving the Al'yans krovi of massive amounts of income, and therefore power. Now they were being offered a test -- to see if they were suitable to become the ambassadors who negotiated the contracts. All they had to do was travel for a living. And survive the Crescian lifestyle.

Husband, Spark heard over his transceiver, say yes.

Jamie, Okami rode the transmission, don't blow it.

Gee, guys... no pressure, he thought back.

If you believe we are guys, Tonya shot back, you are seriously overdue for some remedial instruction.

Krisslum, Spark turned his thought back to the ambassador, if for some reason this doesn't work out... what are the repercussions?

None, for you, he answered. We would still be in search of appropriate partner representatives. I would hope we would remain friends. You are too much fun to completely pass on.

Spark let out the breath he was holding.

I think, then, that we shall accept your offer and any guidance you can give us for a life-altering first time experience.

Yes! Everyone looked at Leeanni as she tried to shift to demure in a big hurry. I mean, I would be more than happy to help you, she amended.

In that case, Saelass virtually beamed, let us all enjoy dessert!

* * * * *

"Jamie, this is almost too good to be true," Tonya told Spark as they arrived back at their apartment and made sure they had a secure environment for conducting business.

"I know," he answered as he assessed their position, "but these people are not con artists. They trade on honesty, among other things. Let's presume we end up as Deployed. Like the Marines, we travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people, but instead of killing them, we establish trade. So we're all over the place. What kind of support system do we need?"

"You'll want a corporation set up on Earth to handle the finances," Okami pointed out. "One not corrupted. It would have to be an international megacorp, with its own banking system. Run by people you trust."

"We trust," Spark corrected her. "You and Lizzie are just as much a part of this as I am. What we really need is someone we trust to set up the Earth-side parts of this. Unless Mars has something of trade value, we can cut them out of the process. I can see advantages to keeping HQ's on both planets, though."

"Professor Lenox," Tonya chimed in. "Anatoli has more than sufficient contacts with the sorts of people we need. I can encrypt a transmission for him, using a code only he and I can decipher, telling him what is going on. It would have to be delivered by mailboat, because I have not yet developed my communications abilities to reach him across planets."

"You're sure it can't be intercepted and broken by the Al'yans krovi?" Spark knew immediately from her look it was a dumb question.

"I am sure," she told him in a level tone.

"Then get on it," he told her. "I don't know how long our part is going to take, but the Professor having a running start is a good idea. Plus, we're going to need some legal help. We're going to need to get Okami's fugitive status cleared and all three of us designated some kind of international diplomats, with all the privileges and immunities."

"I think I must be some kind of twisted," Okami told Spark, "because this kind of novel, strange, exciting kind of adventure makes me horny."

"Oh, believe me," Tonya turned to her, "concupiscent and rapacious just barely get into the ballpark as far as I am concerned."

"I'm a dead man," Spark intoned somberly.

"Not until we are done, husband," Tonya smiled. "What else do we need to do, besides have a right randy royal rut?"

"I love your alliteration," Spark smiled to her. "Probably find out what all is involved in Crescian space travel, and maybe whatever we can find out about the different races. I'd really like the Professor to have our info and get his response before we leave."

"Then let's get sleuthing," Okami suggested. "A good fucking and a good night's sleep are probably in order first, though."

"Your wisdom is showing," Spark teased her. "But you're right. Let's..."

* * * * *

The mailboats utilized the new Bartholomew tunnels -- warp gates in simple terms -- which allowed them to transit from Mars orbit to Earth orbit in less than an hour. The "tunnel" was technically warped space-time with a fixed point at each end. So far, the largest mass the scientists had been able to successfully push through a Barty-gate, as they were known, was about 100 tons displacement. Most mailboats were smaller than that -- simple tubes with massive amounts of data storage backed up with physical storage and minimal crew space. Passenger space was at a premium and seldom used.

So it was a shock to Spark when he answered a knock at their door about a week later, to find Professor Anatoli Lenox standing on the other side.

"Professor!" Spark exclaimed as he opened the door and invited the old man in. "C'mon in! What are you doing here?" Tonya and Okami came bursting out of their rooms at the sound of Spark's greeting.

"Hello, Jamie," he greeted Spark, then turned to Tonya. "Hello, Lizzie. I see you are doing well. And you must be Okami," he added to the Canilupe.

"Yes, I am," she answered with a nod. "And you must be the notorious Professor Lenox, creator of psychodata integration."

"Guilty as charged," the Professor smiled. "Jamie, may an old man sit down?"

"Gods, Professor! Where are my manners?" Spark exclaimed. He moved to escort the Professor to the kitchen table but Tonya beat him to it -- easily. First, she gave him a hug, though. A very melt-into-you hug which the Professor obviously relished. Then she assisted him to the table.

"What can I get you, Professor?" she asked. "We have real coffee and tea, and other beverages. Besides, if we do not have it, I know where the general store is," she added with a smile.

"Black tea with a bit of lemon, if you have it, dear," he told her. "Jamie? Okami? Would you please join me?" They both realized that standing there looking dumbfounded was just that... dumb.

Tonya returned with the tea as the others sat and she joined them. The Professor took a long draught of the hot liquid and sighed.

"It is so difficult getting real anything these days," he commented as he savored the tea. "And to your question, Jamie, I would ask the unnecessary first... is this space secure?"

"As secure as we can make it, sir," Spark answered. "Even so, we do go by our passport names, as you've been doing. We appreciate that."

"Okay, then, here..." the Professor told Spark as he slid him a flash drive. "There has been a sort of resistance building up against the organized crime now running Earth. We simply needed a reason to organize. By the time you can travel to the Cresco home world and return, we will have the desired, albeit clandestine, international banking and trade cartel set up, complete with people who can negotiate and close deals with your contacts. Everything is on there, using the encryption Lizzie and I developed. You will need her to decode it. Once stored in her datamesh, you should have access to it.

"Oh, and the why I'm here... I felt I needed to deliver this personally, and discuss any pertinent issues, so I hitched a ride on a mailboat. A bit hard on an old man's bones, but not beyond my reach. I would like, if at all possible, to meet the Crescians you've befriended. I am intrigued beyond words."

"I think we will be able to arrange that," Tonya told him. "They are very much enamored of us at the moment."

"I'll bet," the Professor smiled. "You are very detailed and thorough in your compilation of situational data, Lizzie."

"Do you have a place to stay, Professor?" Okami asked out of the blue. Spark kicked himself again for not anticipating the possible problem.

"Not at the moment, Okami," he answered, then paused to turn to Tonya. "Could I get another one of these, dear?"

"Of course," she nodded and took his cup to go make another.

The Professor turned back to Okami. "From what I am seeing, there are plenty of hotel rooms available in the better parts of Hellas. I wanted to make sure the data was delivered before looking for accommodations."

"Do you snore?" Okami asked, getting a bemused look from the Professor.

"Not that I am aware," he answered. "May I ask why you ask?"

"Jamie and Lizzie are sharing a bed, I'm not and the third bedroom is full of a bunch of our junk," she answered. "You're welcome to sleep with me, if you want. I'm only a moderate blanket hog, but pretty good as a bed-warmer. In the literal sense."

"That sounds like a very enticing offer, Okami," the Professor nodded. "I'd be delighted to accept your offer."

"In which case, Professor," Tonya spoke up, "Jamie and Okami can make dinner, you can sit and rest, and I'm going to upload this data. It will probably be a day or two before we can arrange a meeting with Krisslum and Saelass -- the ambassadors."

"One of the advantages of having the embassy staff like us," Spark jumped in, "is scoring real food, not synth'd. Tonight is going to be some kind of Rigelian Roast Beast stew, using veggies from Betelgeuse and Callisto, bread from some kind of Denebite grain, and some kind of hooch from Vega. If you want the long form technical names for them, I can oblige, but I'd rather just keep it simple."

"Simple is good, Jamie," the Professor smiled. "Let me know if I can be of assistance."

* * * * *

It was three days later that the limo arrived in the early afternoon to pick up the four coconspirators. They were taken to the Crescian Embassy, where Spark, Tonya and Okami had briefed Professor Lenox on what he could expect. They were passed through Security with only a cursory look at the Professor's cane -- less than he'd received coming planetside -- and Erliss met them. She was oddly alone, the two men of her pod being conspicuously absent.

Greetings, Jamie, Lizzie, Okami! Erliss thought to them as she approached. Does our esteemed visitor have your abilities to communicate? Or should we fall back to aural?

Erliss, Spark thought up, I would like you to meet Professor Anatoli Lenox, creator of most of the Earth's psychodata integration systems. Although technologically enhanced, he has the ability to communicate telepathically and actually feels proud at having the opportunity to show off... Spark's smile was evident in both his face and his telepathic voice. Professor, this is Erliss, one of the ranking Cresco, although she works more in the shadows. She was our first Crescian friend.

Professor, Erliss turned to him and actually bowed... not something Spark was used to seeing the Cresco do. We are honored to receive you as such an accomplished friend of these three, impressive in their own right.

The feeling is mutual, the Professor responded. Having become aware of my associates' relationships with you, I have been nothing but curious since. Thank you for inviting me.

Please allow me take you to the ones who actually invited you, she smiled. I am just a... um, flunky? I believe is the correct term.

Um, Erliss... Spark thought as she turned to escort them into the embassy, did something happen with your pod? I was sort of expecting...

Asslur and Ossran, she thought back, interrupting him. They are with Leeanni at the moment, working on trip preparations. They may join us later. I am not sure.

Oh... well, thank goodness nothing happened to them, Spark thought back, relieved.

I would not exactly put it that way, Erliss commented obtusely. She wasn't any more forthcoming as she led them deep into the embassy, as before, but to a different corridor and room. When the guards passed her in, along with the rest of the party, Spark was surprised to see a parlor much more human in décor than Erliss' quarters below the Stargazer. And sitting on a brocaded settee were Krisslum and Saelass.

Welcome, Krisslum greeted them, rising. Saelass remained seated.

Somebody's been studying Earth etiquette, Spark thought to himself.

Jamie, would you care to introduce our new guest? Krisslum suggested.

Ambassador Krisslum, Ambassador Saelass, Spark thought to the entire party, I would like to introduce Professor Anatoli Lenox, creator of most of Earth's psychodata integration systems. He is telepathy capable and very anxious to make your acquaintance. He is, in short, one of our best friends.

Professor, Spark turned to him, I would like to introduce you to Ambassador Krisslum and Ambassador Saelass, husband and wife, and parents to a rather vivacious young girl, Leeanni. You may meet her later. The Ambassadors are the reason we have the incredible opportunity we shared with you. We seem to be building a rather solid friendship in a very short time.

It is a great honor to meet you, the Professor began, addressing Krisslum and Saelass. I spent countless hours of my youth wishing to meet extraterrestrial life and now, in my old age, I have finally been granted my wish. The reports I received from my dear friends have piqued my curiosity no end.

A friend of Jamie, Lizzie and Okami is certainly a friend to us, Saelass responded. We do not know, of course, what you have been told about us... but we are available to sate your curiosity as you wish. Would you, and the others, care to be seated? We also have various refreshments available.

The polite and slightly formal dance had begun. Spark, with assistance from Tonya, went over a rehash of the trade ambassador suggestion and what it would entail, both explaining to the Crescians what the Professor's part of it was and working out contact procedures, hopefully secure from the prying eyes of the Al'yans krovi. The role of the upcoming trade convention was discussed, as well as making some estimates -- in Earth time -- of how long the various pieces would take.

The Solarians were informed of the major existing trade relationships: the Altairians from the star Altair in the Aquila constellation; the Sirians from the star Sirius in Canis Major; the Denebites from the star Deneb in Cygnus; the Regulans from Regulus in Leo; the Vegans from Vega in Lyra; the Betelgeusians (or Betelites) from Betelgeuse in Orion; the Rigelians from Rigel in Orion; the Antarians from Antares in Scorpius; the Callistians from Callisto in Ursa Major; and the Arcasians from Arcas in Ursa Minor.

The Earthlings were considered Solarians from the star Sol in the constellation Monocerus, or the Unicorn... at least, from the point of view of those outside Earth's solar system. Most of the extraterrestrial peoples were telepathic and all of the trade ambassadors were. The Solarians being somewhat behind on that was a Crescian concern, but the Professor was able to assure them it would not be a problem. Everyone they dealt with would be telepathy-enabled.

Because the Professor was more curious than the proverbial cat, he wanted to know all about interstellar space travel and the Crescian ambassadors had to admit, somewhat embarrassedly, that they weren't really technicians of the level the Professor would have wanted. They were basically politicians and merchants who rode around in the creations of others.

Much like human travel, the Professor mused. Someone else designs and builds them, we ride in them.

Humanoid travel, Professor, Okami put in and got a smile.

Yes, Okami... humanoid, he amended.

It eventually got late enough that the ambassadors had to beg off... apparently they had an evening engagement and needed to get ready. Erliss offered to accompany the four out and chat, if they wanted. She was going to have to wait for her pod, in any case.

If I may ask a rather indelicate question, Ms. Erliss, the Professor began as they stood in the Grand Foyer...

It is just Erliss, Professor Lenox, she thought to him, sort of cutting him off. Not Ms.

Ah! Well, then it's Anatoli and not Professor Lenox, he smiled. In any case, I was wondering... do you know why it is you have such a strong pull on human... I mean, humanoid... libido? Particularly on that of a 92 year old man who had pretty much written off sexual attraction as an oddity from his past?

123456...9