Sparky's Gift

Story Info
Man's best friend comes through.
9.5k words
4.45
105k
144
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sparky's Gift

This is something a bit different, just a little story for the Christmas holiday.

Many thanks to those who offered comments and constructive criticism on my previous stories. For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper...

Please refer to my profile for more on my personal policy regarding comments, feedback, follows, etc. And please remember, this is a work of fiction, not a docu-drama...

I sat here looking at the .38 snub-nose pistol with the one remaining bullet. I couldn't believe just how fucked up my life had gotten in the last 48 hours or so. I sat here on the side of this lonely country road, watching the large snowflakes fluttering down, thinking things would be better for everyone if I ended it right here.

You're probably wondering what put me here, so I guess I'll tell you. My name is Marvin Coolidge, no relation to the former president, by the way. I've been married to Jane for the last twenty years, and I thought I had it all -- a good job, a nice home, a reliable truck, two children now in college, a well-trained dog we raised as a pup and a loving wife who would never turn her back on me.

Jane and I had known each other for years. We went to the same high school, dated some, then went to college, where we dated even more and eventually fell in love. We married after graduating from college and went to work for her father, Dale Collins, at his company, DC Ironworks, a place that specialized in hand-forged iron furniture and other home décor like spiral staircases. We had what I thought was a good, solid marriage based on love and mutual trust.

The company we worked for made good money, as the products we made weren't cheap. Dale believed in making quality stuff, and quality has a price, he said. Jane worked in accounting, and eventually became the chief financial officer, or CFO. I worked as an engineer, designing and maintaining the equipment used on the floor to make the products. At the time of this story, I was in charge of the engineering department.

Dale was a no-nonsense man who took no guff off of anyone and yes, he could swing a hammer with the best of them. The things he could do with a piece of hot iron amazed me. He also had a strong sense of morality, and was well known for letting people go for things like infidelity or public drunkenness. And he didn't care who it was. Everyone was subject to the rules, even his own daughter and son-in-law.

Then along came Roger fucking Williams. Roger was hired in as an engineer and was placed in my department. He was one of those guys that a Clint Eastwood character once described as a "legend in his own mind." Sure, he was a pretty decent engineer, and could really shine if he put his mind to it. But he also considered himself to be a "master of all trades."

He complained about everything and like to boast about his so-called "achievements," which included photography and his prowess with Photoshop. He liked to brag that he could do anything with a photo and no one would ever know the difference. He also liked to brag about his conquests, something which upset quite a few of the other employees, including me.

I tried to warn him, telling him that Dale didn't like that sort of thing. But he dismissed my concerns, telling me that he's not married, so it wasn't an issue. He almost blew it once, when he produced topless photos of Darla, a girl who worked for Jane. He told us that he had taken the photo while they were out on a date the previous Saturday. I knew better, because Darla was married and they had been at our house the night Roger claimed to have taken her out.

"You better put that away and never ever let Dale hear about it," I told him.

"Or what?" Roger asked.

"I happen to know that photo is fake and I also know you never went out with her because she and her husband were at our house when you supposedly dated her," I said. Roger's eyes grew wide. "If Dale ever catches wind of that, you could get fired. She could get fired as well. And God help you if her husband ever found out."

Roger's face turned pale. Darla's husband, Jerry, was a mountain of a man who happened to be one of the best blacksmiths on the floor. Everyone liked him and thought of him as a "gentle giant," but heaven help anyone who pissed him off.

"Maybe I'll come up with something to make you look bad," he said. I couldn't believe he just said that. "You know, I've always thought Jane is a good-looking woman. You take it from there."

"You son of a bitch," I growled. "If you fuck with us, so help me God, I'll wrap a piece of hot iron around your fucking neck."

"Temper, temper," Roger said with a smirk on his face.

He avoided me as much as he could over the next several months, but I knew something was up at the annual holiday party, just a few days before Christmas Eve. Roger had a group of employees around him as he showed them something. I could hear them snickering and saw a few of them glance my way, smirks on their faces.

"What's that all about?" Jane asked as we ate our dinner. I shook my head.

"Beats the hell out of me," I said. "Maybe he's showing pictures of his latest conquest." After dinner and the speeches, the band started playing and everyone moved to the dance floor. Roger came over to us and asked Jane for a dance. She looked at me for approval and I nodded my head.

"Watch your distance," I told Roger.

"Don't worry, boss, I'll take good care of your lovely wife," he said with a smirk. I watched them dance through a couple songs. I wasn't concerned with Jane, but I was keeping an eye on Roger. I saw him try to grab her ass a couple times, but she brushed his hand away. Jerry, Darla's husband, sat next to me.

"That ol' boy's trouble, Marv," he said. I nodded my head in agreement. "You'd better watch your back."

"You know something I don't?" I asked him. He looked a bit embarrassed.

"He's showing some pictures that could get you in trouble," Jerry said. I looked at him, concerned.

"What kind of pictures?" I asked.

"They look like you and Theresa, kissing in the office," he said. Theresa Hamilton was a recent divorcee who worked in the design shop, and as such, was a subordinate. I had never touched Theresa in all the years I had known her. I understood the implication of what Jerry said. If Dale saw those pictures, I could very easily get fired and Jane would divorce me.

It didn't take long, as about a half-hour later Dale came over to me and my world began to fall apart.

"You got a few minutes, Marvin?" he asked.

"Sure, Dale," I said. "What's up?"

"I don't want to say anything in front of the rest of the crew, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go," he said. I was shocked.

"What?" I asked. "Why?" Dale pulled out a photo, showing Theresa kissing a man. The man's face appeared to be mine. I was livid with rage.

"What the hell is this?" I asked. "Dale, you know damn good and well I would never do anything like this. I would never cheat on Jane. You know that. This is one of Roger's fake photos." Dale shook his head.

"Maybe it is, maybe it isn't," he said. "You know how I feel about this kind of activity. If I let you off the hook, I'd have to let everyone slide. This is the kind of thing that could open us up to a sexual harassment lawsuit, and I can't turn a blind eye to it. I think it'd be best if you gave me your employee badge and keys now. I'll have Jane bring your things home from the office later along with your severance check."

"Dale, this is bullshit and you know it," I said. "He faked this photo, just like he's faked so many others."

"I'm sorry, Marvin," he said. "Until or unless you can prove otherwise, I have to let you go."

"Give me that picture and I'll have it analyzed by an expert," I said. Dale handed me the photo.

"I think it's best you go now," Dale said. I looked around for Jane, but didn't see her. My face was burning as I left the party. I was ready to kill Roger with my bare hands and I wasn't too happy with Dale, either. He and I had known each other for more than 20 years. How could he just turn his back on me like that?

I drove to a bar down the road and thought about my options as I sucked down a few beers. I considered a lawsuit against Dale for wrongful termination, but rejected that as this was an "at-will" state, meaning employers could fire anyone for any reason or no reason at all. I also considered suing Roger. After I beat his face in with a two by four. Eventually, I dragged myself back to my truck and headed home.

When I got home, I noticed a red Mustang in the driveway. It was Roger's car. What the hell was he doing here, I asked myself.

I walked into the house to see Jane with her head on Roger's shoulder, his arms around her. When she looked up at me, I could tell she had been crying.

"What the hell is that asshole doing here?" I asked. Jane's face instantly turned red with anger.

"He's the one who brought me home, since you left. You bastard," she screamed at me. "How could you do this to me?"

"I did nothing, Jane," I yelled back. "That fucker faked that photo just to get me fired. And your father fell for it."

"Yeah, well, it looks pretty convincing to me as well," she yelled. "Get out. I've already packed your things. Take them and go. I'll be seeing a lawyer about a divorce. And I intend to clean you out. Now go!" I looked at Roger, who had a smirk on his face.

"Don't worry, Marv, ol' buddy," he said. "I'll take real good care of Jane for you. I promise to keep her warm in bed." I started toward him.

"You fucking son-of-a-bitch," I yelled. "I'll fucking kill you for this." Jane stopped me before I could reach him.

"No, you won't," she said. "If you touch him, I'll call the police and have you thrown in jail. Now get out! NOW!" I couldn't believe what was happening.

"Alright, Jane," I said. "I'll leave, but I promise you this isn't over. Go see your attorney. When I'm done, all of you will pay for this. And if you have sex with that asshole, I'll counter file on the grounds of adultery." I looked at our Christmas tree and the presents under it. I reached and grabbed one of the presents I had bought for Jane, an expensive necklace.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Since you're divorcing me, I'll be taking this down to get my money back. It was going to be a Christmas present for you," I said. I pointed a finger at Roger. "This isn't over, asshole. When I'm finished with you, you'll wish you had never been born." I looked around but didn't see Sparky, so I called her. She came bounding into the front room and sat at my feet, looking up at me.

"Are you taking Sparky?" Jane asked.

"Yes," I said. "She's the only one with any sense of loyalty, so she comes with me. Merry fucking Christmas, you traitorous bitch." I grabbed the leash by the door and the open bag of dog food. I also picked up my suitcase and walked out the door. I could hear Jane crying as Roger spoke to her.

"Don't worry, Jane," he said. "You're better off without that loser. Come on, let's sit on the couch." I headed out with Sparky sitting on the seat with me. She looked out the window, her tongue hanging out of her mouth. Jane and I had adopted her at the local animal shelter as a young pup several years ago. She was a mix of golden retriever and Australian Shepherd and was one of, if not the, best dog I had ever owned.

I found a motel that allowed house-broke dogs and settled in for the night. At least my credit card still worked. I knew I would have to make some changes tomorrow to protect myself. Sparky laid on the bed and curled herself at my feet. I didn't sleep very well that night, and the next day I headed out, looking for a lawyer and a photo expert.

I stopped at the bank first, though, and split our accounts, putting half of the money into a separate account in my name only. I also paid off and canceled our joint credit cards and applied for one in my name only. In short, I did what most guys facing divorce might do to keep from getting financially raped.

I somehow managed to see an attorney, and got the bad news. If Jane decided to divorce me, I could get screwed, royally. The only thing in my favor was the fact that she made more than me, so there was a chance I could avoid alimony. The house was a wedding gift to us from Dale. It had been owned by his grandparents and he inherited it after they died, so it would probably go to Jane.

He strongly suggested I file a lawsuit against Roger over the faked photo, so I gave him the green light to get started. He suggested I also file a lawsuit against Dale, but I decided to hold off on that for the moment.

The most important thing, he told me, was getting proof the photo had been faked, so he set about getting his expert on that, while preparing a lawsuit against Roger. From there, I took the necklace back to the store where I bought it, and got my money back. Fortunately, I still had the receipt in my wallet and I left with a $1,000 check in my hand.

"I hope everything works out for you, Mr. Coolidge," the store owner said.

"Thanks," I said, walking out.

Late that afternoon, my cell phone buzzed, indicating I had a call. I looked at the number -- it was Jane.

"Yeah," I said, answering the call.

"I have your severance check and your stuff from the office at the house," she said. "If you want them, you need to come by."

"I'll be there," I said, hanging up. I drove to the house and fortunately, Roger's car wasn't there. Jane stood on the porch with a box at her feet. I pulled up and got out of the truck. Jane handed me the check and turned to go back in the house.

"Jane," I said. "This is a mistake."

"You're damned right it's a mistake," she said. "How could you cheat on me like that? And on company property?"

"Dammit, Jane," I said. "I never cheated on you -- ever. That asshole Roger faked that photo. And it's not the first time he's done it. He faked one with Darla once before. Did you know that?" Jane's eyes grew wide.

"No way," she said. "He wouldn't do that."

"Well, he did," I said. "I warned him against doing it again. Maybe that's why he did what he did."

"He brought in some more pictures today," she said. "Of you and Theresa in a motel room. Having sex. Dad fired her this morning." I shook my head in disbelief.

"And you guys just blindly believed that shit?" I asked. "You, Roger and your father are going to be in a world of shit when those pictures are proven to be fake. Did you even ask how he managed to get those photos? Or do you even care?"

"Of course I care," she said. "I just can't believe you would actually have sex with her."

"That's because I didn't. Ever," I said.

"Well, I've seen an attorney today and I'm filing for divorce on the grounds of adultery," she said. "I'm also getting an order of protection to keep you away from me and the house. After the way you reacted last night, I don't want you around here."

"You do that," I said. "And once I prove those pictures are faked, I'll sue you into oblivion. All of you. Including your fuck buddy. And it won't be pretty. Count on it, bitch." She recoiled back from me. I had never spoken to her like that before.

"He's not my fuck buddy," she said. "And even if we did have sex, that would be none of your business."

"What, are you afraid daddy might fire you if he found out?" I asked.

"Nothing happened between us," she said.

"Just like nothing happened between me and Theresa," I said. "I'm telling you, Jane, you and your father had better get your heads out of your asses, and quick. I promise, I will take legal action if you don't." She looked at me shocked. She started to say something but I turned and left.

On my way back to the motel, I had an idea. After I got back to my room, I pulled out my phone and called Theresa. She was very distraught.

"Theresa, this is Marvin," I said.

"Hi, Marvin," she said. I could tell she had been crying.

"I heard you got fired today," I said.

"Yes, that asshole Roger showed Dale pictures of us together," she said. "I told Dale they were faked, but he fired me anyway."

"Do you think we could maybe get together and discuss how to deal with this?" I asked. "I've already seen an attorney. He tried the same thing with Darla. Maybe if we all worked together, we can bring them down and get your job back."

"I don't know, Marvin," she said. "I can't afford an attorney. It's all I can do just to keep my head above water. I don't know what I'm going to do now."

"Don't worry about that," I said. "I've got the attorney covered, and if you need some cash to help get by, I can float you some."

"I couldn't ask you to do that," she said.

"It's no problem," I said.

"I appreciate that so much," she said. "I don't know when I'll be able to pay you back."

"Don't worry about that," I said. "So, do you want to get together?"

"Sure," she said. "If you guys want to come by tomorrow, I'll fix up some meatloaf."

"Sounds good," I said. "I'll call them and see if we can all be there about 6:00 pm. Is that okay?"

"Sure," she said. "I'll see you then."

"Would it be okay if I brought my dog with me?" I asked.

"Of course," she said. "I've always loved Sparky, she's a great dog."

"Okay," I said. "Take care, Theresa. It'll get better, I promise."

"I hope you're right," she said.

I dialed Darla and Jerry's number next and spoke to Darla when she answered the phone.

"Hey, Marvin, what's going on?" she asked. "There's been all kinds of rumors going around work and Jane is an absolute mess." I briefly told her what was happening and informed her that Roger had tried the same thing with her.

"He WHAT?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I told him to know it the fuck off or face getting fired."

"Or getting the shit kicked out of him by my husband," she said. "Yeah, we'll meet you over at Theresa's tomorrow night. I'll talk to Jerry when he gets back from the hardware store."

"Thanks," I said, hanging up.

The next day, I got an angry call from Jane.

"Marvin, my credit card won't work," she said. "What did you do?"

"I canceled it," I told her. "I also split our accounts and took my half."

"Why did you do that?" she asked. "I need that money."

"Tough shit, bitch," I said. "I need a wife who won't go off half-cocked accusing me of shit I didn't do without even giving me the chance to explain." I ended the call, not giving her a chance to respond. She called back, but I let the call go to voicemail. She called a few more times, but I blocked her number. Some time later, Dale called.

"What do you want, Dale?" I asked.

"Marvin, Jane tells me you canceled her credit card and split your accounts," he said. "Why did you do that?"

"You're kidding, right?" I asked. "Why did you blindly believe Roger's fake photos without even checking them out? You're setting yourself up for a lawsuit, you know that, right?"

"You wouldn't dare," he said, angry.

"Goddamn right," I said. "I may not be able to sue for wrongful termination since this is an at-will state, but you fell for Roger's defamatory pictures without even batting an eyelid. And I hear you canned Theresa this morning. Now, Jane says she's going to divorce me. So yeah, I'm doing what I have to do. And if this shit isn't corrected, and I mean immediately, I'll file the mother of all lawsuits against the whole goddamned bunch of you."

"Marvin, why can't you just take your punishment like a man?" Dale asked.

"Because I didn't do anything wrong, Goddammit!" I yelled. "Dale, I've always looked up to you as a second father. We've known each other since I was a kid. Have I ever once lied to you? Ever?"