Spirits in the Material World Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tom! You're not going to believe what David's gonna do!"

"So, enlighten me," Tom replied. "What is David going to do?"

"He did this plain black and white drawing of Maggie from the photos and he added just a little bit of color. He said he could do me in an hour or so."

"He could 'do you'?" Tom asked, archly. He was teasing her, she hoped.

"He could draw a similar portrait of me, you goof! He's so out-of-his-mind about Maggie."

"True that, but you have an inside track, looking like Mom the way you do." Here was a side of Tom that Julie had never imagined, let alone seen. He was jealous!

"Tom, Tom, Tom. You are the only one for me. You know this! We were each other's first, and we'll be each other's only if I have anything to say about it." Julie thought about it for a couple of moments, then came out with, "You should come down to his studio and watch him create his art and see what he's done down there. But let's get some lunch, first."

"The way to my heart is through my stomach. Lead on, Jules." Tom grabbed Julie in a big hug which evolved into a toe-curling kiss of passion that left her breathless. He let her go but held her hand as they descended to the kitchen to find some lunch.

The lunch was eaten before the half-hour had elapsed and David appeared at the top of the basement stairs. He informed Julie that the stool had been found and placed and the lighting was to his satisfaction, and would she now please come down to be a real-life model for him?

Tom accompanied the pair as they progressed to David's studio area. He stopped, staring at the two pieces of artwork whose subject was Maggie Lawson. He could not decide which one he liked better. The caricature of the fox with the multiple tails of different colors was 'different', but in a cool, geeky way. The mostly black and white charcoal portrait with just a few colors was pure, clean, and refreshingly 'basic'. Julie had taken David's direction and perched herself on the stool, slightly turned to her right. David had her pick out a feature in the basement she could look at for some time, and he asked her to think about her favorite time with Tom, which brought a very nice smile to her face. And then David started in.

With quick, sure gestures of his hand with the soft pencil, Julie's form began to appear on the canvas. This was David's last 9" by 12" canvas, and he would need more fairly soon. Tom watched with amazement, pride in his brother's abilities, and a little jealousy that he was not gifted in that way. Every so often, David would allow Julie to shift or shrug or just shake her arms out, and every time he guided her back to the pose he wanted. Tom grew bored with watching and wandered over to the laundry area. There was enough piled up for a good load for the washer, so he got that started and checked the dryer for any leftover pieces. Tom then looked for dried clothing needing folding, and he occupied himself with that task until he heard Alan come in the door from the garage.

"We're down here, Dad," Tom called.

Alan popped his head inside the doorway to the stairs and confirmed Tom's presence in the laundry area.

"Are David and Julie down there too?" Alan inquired.

"Yeah, Dad, David's doing a charcoal portrait of Julie at her request. I don't think they'll be too much longer. He's really good." Tom piled the folded clothes and towels into a basket and took it upstairs.

"Say, Dad, I'd like to talk with you for a minute, please. In the dining room?" Tom asked, softly.

They stepped from the kitchen into the dining room and pulled up chairs to sit at the table.

"Dad, I'd like to use some of the money Grandpa and Grandma Harrison left me to get a gift for Julie."

"Ok," Alan said, slowly, drawing things out. "What sort of gift were you thinking?" Alan was a little concerned about Tom going off the deep end, despite how much the Harrison family liked the girl.

"I'm not sure, specifically, but not a ring, if that's what you're worried about."

"Yes, that was precisely what I was worried about."

"Well, don't worry, yet. I'm thinking a bracelet or a necklace or maybe some earrings," Tom assured his father. "Definitely trying to keep the cost reasonable. But I need the car as well, please."

"Sure, here are the keys," as Alan handed his keys to Tom, "and go ahead and put the purchase on the 'emergency' credit card you have. I'll transfer the money needed to cover the bill."

"Thank you so much, Dad!" Tom gave his father a huge hug of appreciation and love. Then Tom sprang to his feet, checked to see that he had both wallet and phone (he did), and headed for the door to the garage.

Down in the studio, David was putting the finishing touches on Julie's mostly black and white portrait. He had added the iris colors as well as some pink on her lips, mimicking some lip gloss. Some intentional rubbing produced desired smudges, and the portrait was completed. David indicated for Julie to come to see it, and in her eagerness to dismount the stool, she stumbled, only to be caught by David. They ended up in a tight hug as he stood her back on her feet, and she kissed his cheek in thanks. Then she kissed his lips. It was more than a courtesy peck, but there was no tongue involved. This caused a predictable reaction in David's nether region which Julie could not help but notice. He turned her to look at the artwork.

"Why did I just do that to David?" Julie asked herself. "Just because I could? Am I that shallow?"

"Oh, wow!" Julie stated aloud. "That's fantastic!! Can I take it now?"

"Uh, umm, it really should have a fixative applied to keep it from accidentally smudging. I'm out of the fixative right now, but you can get some from Michael's when you get the canvases. It will be ready for you to take with you on Sunday though. I guess we could store it in your room for now. Really need a well-ventilated area to apply the spray and this basement is not a good place for that. Maybe the garage?"

Julie turned to David and put her hands on his shoulders, forcing him to look at her.

"David, I'm very sorry for kissing you like that. I was just caught up in the moment, I think. Can you please forgive me?" Julie asked, quietly.

"Of course, Jules. It was awfully nice, though. I wouldn't mind doing that again." David admitted.

"Save it. I know you are all spun up about Maggie, and truth be told, she seemed interested in you when we showed her pictures from Sunday. When Tom and I end up married, I'll lay a great, big one on you at our reception. How's that for a promise?"

"Um, aren't you jumping the gun a little, Jules? Or did he propose already?" David inquired.

"No, it's still way too early for that, David. I'm expressing my hopes and desires, though. I'm certain that we are right for each other, but I still have a year plus of school ahead. I did not choose State to earn my 'Mrs. degree', but when it's right, it's right. Ok, I'll take this up to our room for now and we'll get some fixative and maybe apply it in the garage tomorrow?" she asked.

"That sounds like a good plan."

And they headed up the stairs with the new portrait cautiously carried.

= = =

Tom headed back to downtown Middleburg. During his walkabout with Julie on Monday, he had noted where the two jewelry stores were located, and he parked midway between them. One of the shop owners went to his church, so he opted for that one first. The bell on the door tinkled as he entered, and the owner was working the sales floor this afternoon. After a polite greeting, Tom was asked if he needed some help.

"Yes, I'm looking for a non-ring gift for my girlfriend. I'm thinking either a necklace or a bracelet or a pair of earrings. Do you have any suggestions that won't break my college-age bank account?" Tom asked, grinning at the last.

"Well, Tom, is this the young lady you had with you on Sunday morning? How long have you and the lady been a couple? You would not want to send the wrong message, now would you?"

"Yes, Julie was with us on Sunday, and thank you for remembering. No, I definitely don't want to send the wrong message, although I doubt there could be a wrong message sent between us. Still, we've been together for almost three months."

"Well, diamonds might be a bit 'excessive' for three months. You specified a non-ring gift, so you're not proposing. What color are her eyes? That can help narrow things."

"Julie has jade-green eyes, and her ears are pierced, for what that's worth."

"Very good. I would suggest either pearls or emeralds then. Come on down to this other case and we'll see what we can find for you."

The pair looked and considered several options, and Tom finally decided on a nice pearl necklace with matching earrings. He tendered his emergency use credit card and the transaction was completed. Looking at the detailed receipt, he was puzzled by the extra 5% discount off the total. When he asked about it, he was informed it was the 'pass the baby' discount. And then Tom 'got' it. Very warm smiles and heartfelt handshakes were shared between the two with the admonition that Tom and Julie would be expected to be seen on Sunday before heading back to college. Assuring the proprietor, Tom took his purchase and headed back to the car.

To find a parking ticket on the windshield. He had not fed the meter. Forehead slap time, Tom pulled the ticket and read the details. If he were to pay the ticket today, it would only be five dollars. So, he got in his dad's car and drove to the city government building and found his way to the place to pay his fine, which he did. He apologized to the girl who took his money (the last $5 in his wallet) and then took his receipt and thanked her for doing her job. She gave him a very nice smile and craned her head over the counter to watch him walk away.

It was now 4:30 and starting to get dark, so Tom returned home not to find Julie's car in the driveway.

= = =

Julie and David jumped in her car and he directed her to the Michael's store out by the shopping mall. Entering the store, Julie was surprised at the variety of items offered, and David led her to the art supplies section. He found a seven-pack of the 9" by 12" canvases, then added a two-pack of 5" by 7" white and a two-pack of 5" by 7" in black. He then picked up two cans of the fixative. Pooling their cash on hand, they paid for these supplies and returned to the car.

Before Julie could get the car started, David reached to touch her hand and she paused.

"Jules, what can you tell me about how to do things right with Maggie?" he pleaded.

The look on his face made Julie think of a lost dog, searching for his best friend. Her heart felt for him.

"You really don't want to screw this up, do you?" she asked.

"Mom said that this was how things should go."

"What!?!"

"Yeah, last night she visited me and stroked my head like she used to and said that I was on the right track and to keep on this path." David's eyes started to tear up. "Oh, Julie, I miss her so much!"

Julie pulled David into her shoulder as much as the center console would permit. What was it with these Harrison guys and Laura? Had they not truly grieved enough? Stupid American male customs! 'Keep your feelings to yourself. Never let them see you cry.'

"It's Ok, David. Let it out." She stroked his head, trying to comfort him. After a few minutes, David raised his head and wiped his tears on his shirt sleeve.

"Thank you, Julie. I'm a little better now. Still, what can you tell me about her 'hot buttons'?"

Sitting back in her seat, she pulled the seatbelt on and leaned her head back on the headrest.

"She does not suffer fools well at all. It's far better to keep your mouth shut than to say something you know is stupid."

"Yeah, dad's all about 'it's better to be silent and thought to be foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.' That, and 'you never see a fish on the wall with its mouth shut. If it had kept it shut, it would not be on the wall.'" David intoned.

"That is excellent advice, especially with Maggie. She can dress up nicely like a girly girl, but she's not really into all the 'girl things'. She's really smart, so reasonable differing opinions can lead to great discussions, but don't try to push things on her. If you find yourself thinking of saying, 'you should ...' with her, stop. Your creative side in your art is going to keep her a little off balance. She really liked the picture I took of your mom's portrait you did. I've kind of teased her that you had something special for her when she comes down tomorrow. But above all, be yourself. Be friendly, courteous, and kind. I know those are special words for you, David."

"You've been talking with Tom, haven't you?"

"Well, duh! We've had three multi-hour car trips in the last week, just us two. And I don't do all the talking. But yes, the Eagle Scout stuff has come up, as it defines so much of who he is. And how much it defines who you are, I hope. Be yourself and see where the conversation leads you."

Pulling his seatbelt on, David conveyed his thanks. It was dark now, around 4:45 pm, and they needed to get home.

= = =

After parking in the garage, Tom entered the house calling for Alan, who was sitting in the living room, alternating between reading and staring at Laura's picture. Alan called back that he was in the living room. Tom joined Alan there and quickly showed his purchase to his dad.

"Mr. Jackson, from church, recommended these pearls, and he gave me a 'pass the baby' discount. What's the 'pass the baby' discount about?" Tom inquired. Alan smiled, broadly.

"You and your brother were shared with so many of the other couples in our Sunday School class. We used to take you in your carriers, the ones with the handles, and then it was 'pass the baby' hour while we had our class. He and his wife were always so pleased to have their five or ten minutes with you and your brother. So, call it a 'near family' discount if you like."

"Well, the total came to just over $500, so please take what you need from the account Grandpa and Grandma Harrison left me, please."

"I'll take care of it, Tom."

Then they heard car doors closing, followed soon by the front door opening, and in came David and Julie.

"We're in the living room," Alan called out. Tom quickly hid the jewelry store purchase.

David and Julie entered the room, and everybody assumed their now 'assigned' seats, Julie snugly up against Tom, grasping his left arm in both of hers in a hug and laying her head on his shoulder.

"Where are you two coming back from?" Alan asked.

"Oh, we had to go get some stuff from Michael's to finish David's art projects," Julie explained. "What's the plan for supper?"

"We don't have a menu plan for tonight. Probably not Italian, though. Any suggestions?"

"Chinese!" exclaimed David. "We haven't had Chinese since August."

They pulled up their favorite Chinese take out place's online menu and noted their selections. Orange chicken was quite popular, and nothing was exceptionally spicy, so some sharing was tacitly expected. Chow Mein noodles and Fried Rice sides were evenly split. Their food was delivered in about 45 minutes, and they sat at the dining table again, this time everyone participated in the asking of the blessing before the meal, with Julie reaching across the table to hold David's hand.

Tom offered to handle the cleanup, such as it was, and Alan asked David to come to the living room to discuss transportation. Julie went upstairs and chose to have a bath rather than a shower.

Once Alan and David were in the living room, both paused to regard the painting of Laura again. With deep sighs and some leaky eyes, they sat down and Alan pulled out his laptop.

"David, your beater is now in the custody of the U-Pick parts salvage. I pulled everything from under the seats and the glove box and the console and even the visors. The contents are in a grocery sack in the back seat of my car. We need to get you another vehicle."

"I guess a Mercedes is out of the question," David began, teasing.

"Yeah, just a bit," Alan smiled in return. "I'd like to keep the price to below $10k, but that may be a difficult thing. First, though, let's agree on the type of vehicle, and we can work from there. You need something that can carry your stuff from and to school, right? You used to cram the old car nearly to the roof, which was not a safe thing to do." Alan teased a little. "Do you think you'd like a mini-van?"

"Oh, he- heck, no, Dad!" David blurted.

"How about a small pickup truck then?"

"A truck? Hmmm, I'd never considered that before. Can't haul bodies around so I can't be asked to play taxi."

"Well, if we got one with or added a tonneau cover for the back end, your stuff would be protected from the elements and from blowing out. Those covers also improve gas mileage, as the wind doesn't get inside the bed and resist against the tailgate."

"How much do you think the covers cost brand new, in case we need to buy one?" David asked.

"I don't know offhand. We need to do some research."

"Let's do our individual searching tonight and sync back up tomorrow morning, ok?" David asked.

"Sure, son. I'm sorry it has come to this, but many things, cars included, were not meant to last forever," Alan noted. Then to himself, "But some relationships are."

= = =

Tom finished the cleanup tasks, taking the garbage out to the rolling container and placing the recycling in its own specific container. Trash and recycling were usually picked up on Thursdays, but with the holiday tomorrow, it would be Friday when they were picked up. There should be enough room in the trash container to hold two more bags. The recycling could be a bit trickier. With both him and David home this week, there was a lot more recycling than usual. Still, they would manage things somehow.

He went back and wiped down everything in the kitchen, even running the dishwasher. Satisfied, he headed up the stairs, pausing for a moment to listen to David and Alan talk. Then he proceeded up to his room. The bathroom door was still shut, but the exhaust fan was running, and he could hear Julie singing to herself. Smiling, he proceeded on to his room. He looked in his closet, and hanging up was his scout uniform shirt, shorts, and merit badge sash. Grinning, he took the shirt off the hanger, removed his t-shirt, and put on the uniform shirt. It still fit! Maybe a little tight across the chest, but the scoutmaster button was not popping open near his navel.

He heard Julie letting the water out from her bath and getting out, and inspiration struck. He put on the scout shorts, which still fit his waist, and settled the merit badge sash over his right shoulder and left waist. Then he just stood there at attention until Julie entered the bedroom. She had her hair wrapped in one towel and a second wrapped around her body just covering her breasts and her bottom. Startled, she looked up to see Tom. She realized quickly what he was showing off, and she had a quick comeback as well.

"I love a man in uniform, but I love him even more out of uniform!"

Tom quickly clued in to what she was saying and asked her please to close the bedroom door. He then removed the sash, the shorts, and the shirt and hung them back up in his closet. He then removed his briefs, and his interest in Ms. Lawson was most evident.

"Oooh, yes, I do love a man out of uniform!"

Leaving the towel to dry her hair, she dropped the second one and showed off a bit, and Tom just ate it up. They lay down in the big bed and the whole-body clench began as they demonstrated how much they enjoyed the other. With their prurient desires sated, Julie sat up and removed the towel from her somewhat dried hair while Tom reclined, somewhat propped by his pillow, watching her.