Spirits in the Material World Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But given that you said she took you by the hand, I can't imagine a more definite approval of you for him. And I'm cool with all of this. Mags, how do you feel?"

"I felt alone this morning in that huge bed. I'd hoped that Mom had just gotten up, but as I think back on it, the sheets were cool. I don't know yet how I feel about Mom hooking up with Alan. It kind of seems like a betrayal of Dad, even though he is long gone."

"How you feel is how you feel, Maggie. Nobody has the right to tell you not to feel that way, or that you don't feel that way," Rose opined.

"Actually, sister dear, don't you think it might be a bit of the green-eyed monster called jealousy?" Julie poked.

"WHAT?!? Jealous? Me? Of Mom?"

"Yeah, jealous of Mom and jealous of me. I've got Tom and I'm never letting go of him, and it seems like Mom may have something going on with Alan. Couple that with the possibility of her moving down here for work, and the convenience factor just ratchets up higher and higher."

"Hrrrmph," scoffed Maggie, and she sat back and said little else, thinking on the possible validity of her sister's words.

Julie exchanged a knowing look with Rose, and they smiled to themselves as they made their way to the mall.

Having parked a good hike away from the entrance, as the three wound their way through the parking lot, Rose redefined this Christmas for them.

"We haven't really discussed this, but we don't have lists of things for others. I'd like for us to get two or three nice things today and that will be the gift to us that we wanted to get. So, some underwear perhaps, maybe a nice dress or skirt, maybe some shoes. Nothing over the top, but let's have a Christmas where we get what we really want without the impersonal gift cards that are never really enough. How does that sound?"

"I can go with that. Christmas should not be about 'what's in it for me', in my opinion. But the sales available today make this a good time to get something for ourselves at a better price. No sense in paying $100 for something you can get for $75 or less today," Julie suggested.

Throughout the morning, the trio examined and tried on numerous articles of clothing and footwear, buying a few of them, and finally ending up at the Victoria's Secret store. Rose wanted some new underwear and a couple of specific-use items meant more to tease than being functional. Julie, too, acquired a couple of new items, but Maggie was just bored and did not attempt to hide that fact. By now it was 12:30, and the ladies did not want to be late for their 'date' with the Harrisons at Longhorn.

= = =

The Harrisons visited five local used car dealerships that Black Friday morning, all with no success in finding something that appealed to both Alan and David. Tom was along for the ride for moral support for whoever needed it. Finally, they stopped in at a car rental company's car sales lot, and there was a Jeep SUV with 80,000 miles for $12,500. This was a little more than Alan had wanted to spend, but it was the best buy on the lot, and the Jeep reputation held a lot of meaning to Alan. That it had four doors and the rear seats could be folded down meant that people and/or gear could be transported, which was meaningful to David. The vehicle held the promise of at least five years of good service left, possibly more. So, Alan met with a salesperson and began the process of getting the Jeep. It would be finalized on Saturday, once Alan's credit had been checked and happy that a decision had been reached, the men headed off to meet the ladies for lunch.

When they arrived at the restaurant, the Lawsons were already there, and both Julie and Maggie were bouncing on their toes in eager anticipation of their guys. Both Rose and Alan shook their heads, a little ruefully, at the eagerness of the girls, but also smiled with satisfaction. So, arm in arm, the three pairs entered the restaurant and were seated surprisingly quickly.

Julie sat next to Tom, and Maggie claimed the seat next to David, leaving Rose sitting across from Alan. The two younger pairs were quickly lost in their own worlds consisting of the other person. Hands were held by the younger pairs, and Alan's hands twitched, wanting to reach for Rose's, but he restrained himself. For her part, Rose wanted to hold Alan's hand as well, but did not wish to give more fodder for youthful teasing. Then she felt Alan's hand on her knee, and she reached her hand under the table to hold his. His thumb stroked the back of her hand, raising interest on her part, and he smiled cheekily at her.

"So, were you gentlemen successful this morning?" asked Rose.

"Yes, we have decided on a used Jeep Compass for David to use to replace Laura's old car which is now residing in a U-Pick salvage yard. It was a bit more than I had wanted to spend, and we'll get it tomorrow once the credit is approved and the insurance policy is adjusted, but I believe it will give us good service. And were you ladies successful in your commercial endeavors?" Alan teased.

"I believe we were successful. There's still room on the credit card, and I still have a few checks, so I can't be out of money yet," she laughed. Alan smiled broadly at her humor.

Their server arrived and their orders were soon placed, and the discussion opened to the whole group.

"Ok," Alan began, "this holiday has been very ... broadening, for us all. The real world will soon intrude on us, so maybe this might be a good time to make some broad plans. There's another holiday coming up in four short weeks, and I'd like to know what your thoughts on the matter are."

"I'll have to work until noon on Christmas Eve," Rose began, "and then back at 9 am on the Monday after. I've scheduled someone else to be the person in charge for the day after Christmas."

"We'll all be home from school," chimed Tom, "so I'm down for whatever, as long as I get some Julie time. But it might be nice for us to do something as a group as well."

"I've got tests on the Friday, Monday, and Tuesday before, then off until the first Wednesday of January," Maggie supplied.

"Rose, would you like us to come to your place?" Alan asked.

"Your place is much more spacious and allows for private and group time. I have no problem coming down and bringing Maggie once I'm done with work on Christmas Eve. We could even stay and go back on that Sunday afternoon if you like."

"Oh, I like," leered Alan, waggling his eyebrows and causing Rose to blush, prettily.

"I would like it very much if you came up for a weekend between now and then, though," Rose offered.

"Perhaps," Alan replied. "Perhaps, indeed. We should discuss this at greater length, I think."

And that spurred the sharing of phone numbers between David and Maggie and between Rose and Alan.

Their ordered food arrived and everybody tucked into their meals with gusto. Alan had relinquished Rose's hand, but Tom and Julie and David and Maggie found it difficult to cut up and eat their food with only one hand. Finally, necessity won out. Nobody really wanted to stay for dessert, as there was still pie left at the Harrisons', and time kept marching on. Alan left a nice 20% tip, and the group headed back to Alan's house to retrieve things and properly say goodbye.

David made sure that Rose had her two drawings of the girls, and Maggie had her fox caricature, and the dish the sweet potato casserole came in was going back as well. Overnight bags were stowed in Rose's car, and then the farewells began. David led Maggie into the dining room, and she plastered herself to him, lips and tongue quite active. David found himself aroused and showing it, and Maggie ground her pelvis against his.

"Oh, David, this seems a bit magical."

"Yeah, Maggie, I'm liking it a lot as well."

"Would- would you please call me Magpie? Sometimes Jules uses that, but I'd really like you to use it, especially when we text or video chat."

"Only if you call me Davey. I've asked Tom not to call me that, so it will be reserved just for you, Magpie."

And her heart just about burst with joy. And the suction began again in earnest.

Rose and Alan had gone to the kitchen for their goodbyes. Alan gently stroked and held Rose's head in his hands, and lightly brushed her lips with his. Rose trembled with lust for this man and his firm yet gentle manner. She resolved not to put him to the testing she had applied to Tom, but she wanted a much deeper relationship with Alan. Her tongue crept out of her lips to push Alan's apart, and soon the passion was rising on both of their parts. Finally, good judgment overcame the passion, and Rose gently broke away with a soft, "I'll call you tonight, Alan."

"I am already looking forward to it, Rose."

They emerged from the kitchen, hand in hand, and with an 'ahem' from Alan, convinced David and Maggie to follow their lead to the front door. Julie and Tom emerged from the living room, and hugs were offered to the departing Lawsons amid some unshed tears on David's and Alan's parts. Waving goodbye to the departing car, the four returned indoors.

Alan then thought to call his insurance agent to advise of the demise of the old car and the acquisition of the new one. The agent promised to start the process for coverage.

= = =

Rose and Maggie were silent, lost in their thoughts, for the first ten minutes of their return trip. Then Maggie's phone buzzed with a text message.

Davey: *Magpie, would you please be my girlfriend?*

Magpie: *Of course, you goof!*

Davey: *Cool beans. I think we need to be good friends above all*

Magpie: *I'm sure my mom would agree. Chat later once I get home*

Davey: *Waiting impatiently :D*

"What's that about, dear?" Rose asked.

"It's David asking me to be his girlfriend, formally. He also thinks we should be good friends." Maggie had a huge smile on her face. She could now claim to have a boyfriend in college, a great achievement for a high school senior.

"He seems to have some really good sense, for a 19-year old male. I think you two should be a little less hot and heavy than you were just saying goodbye."

"Oh, and you and Alan were being totally chaste there in the kitchen, I suppose," Maggie snarked back.

"No, we weren't and you knew that. But that's not my point, dear heart. Teenage libidos often overcome all kinds of hurdles and neither of you wants to have to deal with unanticipated consequences, do you?"

"Right, mom," Maggie said, a little sullenly.

"Tell you what. We'll make an appointment and get you started on birth control pills for 'just in case'. I really don't want you to be sexually active, but you're 18 now and in the eyes of the law, I really can't stop you. I want you to make good, informed, intelligent decisions. Have you become sexually active?" Rose asked.

"No, I have not, mother. Thank you for asking, though, rather than 'when did you first have coitus?'."

"Then that shows good decision-making on your part so far. I'll speak with Alan about David tonight. Please do bear in mind that the only 100% guaranteed way of preventing pregnancy is to abstain or never have penetrative intercourse."

Maggie was quite surprised at her mother's forthrightness with her. She'd seen how Rose had tested Tom back on Tuesday night, and she'd expected a little more aggressive style. But she was pleased with the calm manner of Rose's questions and responses.

Just then, Rose's phone buzzed with a text message.

"Maggie, honey, would you please get my phone out of my purse and read the text to me? I don't wish to be a statistic for distracted driving."

Maggie retrieved Rose's phone. "What's the lock code?"

"092402."

"Zero nine two four zero two." Maggie caught on pretty quickly. "My birthday?"

"Who is the text from?"

"Alan."

"Oh, dear. What does it say?" Rose was a trifle concerned about the possible contents.

Alan: *Rose, I completely enjoyed our night together, and I'm missing you already.*

Rose's heart fluttered. "Please answer him that I'll call him as soon as we get home."

Rose: *I miss you too already. Can't wait to intercourse with you again."

Alan was quite surprised at a) the rapidity of Rose's response and b) the contents of said response. Surely she was not texting and driving. He thought for a minute and deduced that it was probably Maggie who had typed the response, and he was fairly certain those were not Rose's exact words. He would raise this with Rose later tonight.

For the rest of the drive, Rose gently probed Maggie for her feelings and sentiments about the holiday visit. She was uncertain how the long-distance relationship would work for Maggie and David, but it would be a good test for the next three weeks and she would not have to be the one doing the testing.

Maggie was forthright and honest about her feelings with her mother. She really knew no other way to be, and that boded well for her future, with any guy or girl.

= = =

Another run to the grocery store was needed to lay in supplies for the coming days' meals. Alan opted to go alone, and quickly addressed the items needed for the menu plan. Another sneaky idea occurred to him, and he laid in extra ingredients for a meal, just in case. He had made sure there was sufficient creamer for at least two mornings for Julie, so no additional was needed. It would not do to have too much and have it spoil. Alan stopped at a chain drug store and acquired two twelve-packs of condoms. He needed to replace his stash and he figured Tom would do well to augment their customs as well. Alan soon returned home with only three grocery bags to carry in, so he handled it himself.

Looking at the clock, it was just now 5:00 pm, so plenty of time for chicken fettuccine alfredo and broccoli and garlic toast, and so he started the supper preparations.

David had retired to his room and was busy IMing with his local buddies about the awesome girl he'd met, much to their astonishment and jealousy. Now, he thought, to get her into D&D ... Of course, his friends' response could be summarized as "Dude! Pictures or it didn't happen." Dammit! They had not gotten any pictures of the ladies all dressed up! Dammit all! Wait, I have the one from Jules. And David uploaded the inspiration for his caricature to his cloud account and sent it to his buddies. Next time, be sure to have someone take a picture of the two of them, he said to himself.

Tom and Julie had put away the air mattress and sleeping bags and had re-stored them in the basement with the rest of the camping gear. She was quite surprised at the quantity and diversity of the gear they had on hand. But Scouting for over ten years will do that for a family. She had never been camping, truly, and was a bit eager to give it a try once the weather became more clement. While they were in the basement and away from everybody, they gladly engaged in some light and not-so-light petting, whetting their appetites for the time when they were restored to the 'big bed'.

= = =

Supper preparation was just completing when Alan received a text from Rose.

Rose: *Made it safely home. Text at 9?*

Alan: *Glad you're both safe. I await your text*

David's phone notified him of Maggie's text.

Magpie: *@home now. We need to talk*

That put a chill down David's back. "We need to talk" is four words capable of chilling just about anybody.

Davey: *Glad you made it. Nervous about needing to talk*

Magpie: *Don't be. It's all good stuff. L8R*

Tom and Julie emerged from the basement looking rather rumpled, but happy. Alan dragooned them into setting the dining table and helping get the food to the table. When Julie had stepped away, Alan gave a box of condoms to Tom with the advice that the pill is only 91% reliable but adding condoms really reduced the chances of accidental pregnancy. Tom accepted them and thanked his dad for the thoughtfulness.

"Dad, I'm sorry for teasing you about the wastebasket contents this morning. It was just so out of character for you. But then, I didn't know you when you were dating Mom, did I?"

"It was not a problem, son. We probably deserved it, a little. Trust children to keep you humble and walking the straight and narrow path."

"So, Tom," Julie interrupted, "what's in the bag?"

"Prophylactics, courtesy of Dad."

"Oh." And she let the conversation drop. "I'll go get David for supper then."

"Thanks, Julie."

She skipped up the stairs and rapped on David's door and was instructed to "Come on in."

"Supper's ready, David. Did Mom and Maggie make it home safely?"

"Yeah, a little bit ago."

"Cool. Wash up." And Julie skipped back down the stairs and washed in the powder room.

David was close behind her, and the meal, after the blessing was asked, was very appreciated by all.

David also cleaned up after the meal and set the dishwasher running, then went to check for laundry to be done. There were sheets and pillowcases from every bed, so that made for a nice load. He got it going, then stepped over into his studio area. He decided to work on the acrylic painting with the forest backdrop. He added four tents and a campfire to the existing painting and called it quits for the night. Before he trudged up the steps, he moved the washed linens into the dryer and started it to be ready in the morning.

The kitchen clock read 8:30, so David headed to his room to text or call Maggie.

Davey: *Hey there, Magpie. Do you want to text or talk?*

Magpie: *Talk. I'll call you*

Within the minute, David's phone rang with Maggie's call.

"Hey, there, Magpie. Uneventful trip home?" David asked.

"Yes, it was. I really appreciated your texts. They kept me floating all the way home."

Taking a deep breath, David inquired, "So, what do we need to talk about?"

"Well, Mom's going to let me start with birth control pills as soon as I can get in to see the doctor."

"Wow, that's a big step, don't you think?"

"Her reasoning was due largely to our attraction to each other. That, and the fact that I'm 18 and legally an adult and she really can't stop me from doing adult things, apart from drinking alcohol or running for congress. She would rather I not be sexually active, but she'd rather not be a grandma yet even more."

David snorted. "Yeah, I can understand that point of view. You should know that my dad has a policy which he has shared with me. Wanna hear it?"

"Sure."

"'If the underwear comes off, a condom goes on'."

"But my mom ... oh, just in case."

"Yeah. Just in case. Planned Parenthood site says the pill alone is only 91% effective, but if you add in another 85% safety of using a condom with the pill, the rate gets much closer to 100%. I looked it up. Just in case the topic arose."

"Mom says the only 100% certain prevention is abstinence or non-penetrative sex."

"I've had 19 ½ years of abstinence. I guess some more time won't be the end of me."

"Davey, the way you were rubbing on me, I'm all for the non-penetrative type. Care to join me?"

"On the phone? Oooh, yeah. Let me get more comfortable first."

David and Maggie were as descriptive for each other as they knew how. They had been exposed to pornography, and the words 'imagine my fingers' or 'imagine my tongue' were frequently used. Both enjoyed a muffled but very satisfying conclusion.

"I think we both need a hand towel right about now," David stated. "It's still way too early to say much about this friendship, Maggie, but I really do care about you. I wish we didn't have to wait until Christmas to see each other again, but I've got to go back to school on Sunday afternoon and I don't finish with finals until the Friday before Christmas."

"I care very much about you too, Davey. And 'thank you' is just insufficient for how I feel about my fox caricature. I put it up so that it's one of the first things I see every day and one of the last things each night."