All Comments on 'Split Trails Ranch'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 319 Comments
BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 6 years ago
Good Story

Well researched, well told, enjoyable yarn. Thanks.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958almost 6 years ago
Very nice, as I expected.

An epic story from a major writer. What a tale! Captivating to the last word. Thank you, Randi.

texquilltexquillalmost 6 years ago
GREAT EFFORT

qhml1, who is one of my favorite authors on Lit, has demonstrated again that, if dime novels were still around, he'd be the leader of the pack. Split Trails Ranch has all the requisite elements to make it a fun read. Thanks for sharing!

Storm113Storm113almost 6 years ago
5* of course!

Good, really good!

ag2507ag2507almost 6 years ago
10 stars

But the site wouldn't let me

LalawmanLalawmanalmost 6 years ago
A damn fine tale

It is 3 am. I just could not put this story down.

CSD2CSD2almost 6 years ago
You can finish this

But you didn't finish Rocky Raccon?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Another 5*

I saw part of this on another site. Thanks for your very entertaining writing.

BigCuntryBigCuntryalmost 6 years ago
5*

Someone in a chat room told me you were dead. Since WAAAAY more than two weeks have passed since you left us hanging with chapter 2 of Rocky Raccoon, I was starting to believe them. Glad you haven't started pushing up daisies yet. You ever gonna finish Rocky?

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 6 years ago
A rip roaring western!

This was a joy to read! Zane and Louis would be proud!

AuroraIncidentAuroraIncidentalmost 6 years ago
A real page turner!

Am amazing read! Once I started I couldn't stop until I got to the end. Almost begs for a Jessica and Sabrina Back East follow up. Excellent work!

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 6 years ago
Great Western!

Excellent read.

Well done!

IaOldTimerIaOldTimeralmost 6 years ago
Excellent as always... but

You lost me at the 4 Congressional Medals of Honor earned by offspring.

An OLD vet

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 6 years ago
Quintessential QHML1!

Which, or course means it was an excellent story. It was well worth the 10..oops, I mean 5 stars I was allowed to award it.

I understand and somewhat agree about the 4CMH complaint from another commentator, but you do need to recall that both WWI, WW2, Korea, plus Vietnam and beyond were covered in the timespan this story's epilogue ran through. So, it was at least not entirely IM-possible for a family with this sort of heritage to have that happen amongst their many heirs.

xtchrxtchralmost 6 years ago
Wow Oh Wow!

What a hell of a story from a master storyteller.

This story defies adjectives. Think of any good adjective and it fits this story; exciting, intriguing, stimulating, interesting, and I could go on and on.

Thank you for a good (no great) story.

The only bad thing about this story is that it ended, I wish it went on and on.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

I really like your stories and how you write them. Thank you.

VanadornVanadornalmost 6 years ago

Absolutely wonderful.

And you're right, who the hell wastes their time with a LaMat?

-V

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
This is good shit

But, God damn, the author sure does get off on violence. I bet every death is like a glorious orgasm to him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A Request

Please write a Western novel. Shoot fire, I would settle for any of your yarns in book form.

~Uncle Bozzin

litesleeperlitesleeperalmost 6 years ago
nother great one

this one was great loved it. but still waiting for part three of rocky racoon

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
What a great Western

Thank you for sharing a truly great story. Well done!

dwoelfledwoelflealmost 6 years ago
Amazing

You did the western saga proud. Loved it.

t8ntliklyt8ntliklyalmost 6 years ago
Deja Vu

Parts of this story are startlingly similar to another I read on here.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 6 years ago
Wow

If I've read a better story anywhere it's been long enough I don't recall it. There's a Lonesome Dove or Broken Trail movie or mini series in these pages. Right now I'm sorry I ever gave anything else a 5 because this one clearly sets the standard. Thank you.

ender2k2kender2k2kalmost 6 years ago
Great story

Thank you.

qhml1qhml1almost 6 years agoAuthor
To quote a really good writer

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

This was my homage to Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, and modern Western writers like Woddy Leach. And many of you are right, this was a pretty bloody saga. I just thought it would make better reading than if the hero was the gentle, strong silent type who didn't believe in violence. A more realistic one, at any rate.

I will finish Rocky Raccon. I have three more chapters ready, but I've made a resolution to never post a series until it's completely done. I do this because I have a habit of starting more than one project at a time and they all suffer. Five to seven more should finish it. When I do finish, I plan to release one a day until the end.

I've been working on Brother Love, but I think I will publish it professionally. On that front, I have a novel and a collection of short stories coming out on Amazon near the end of August.

One last note. I have a mystery completed, and it is edited by Randi. I know I drive her crazy sometimes, and I'm tired of her sticking pins in my familiar. Just a few more tweaks and it will be out.

As always, comments are welcome and votes appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Q

malc690malc690almost 6 years ago
stunning

that was one of the best reads i've had for a long long while

ribnitinribnitinalmost 6 years ago
Perfect hero

A great story, with one caveat: the hero was a little too perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Really good read

I enjoy well written well developed plot stories and this is one of the better ones. I realize this is an adult site but I'm finding more good stories in this category. NGBRAo

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Great conclusion to Rocky Raccoon.

Thank You

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
LIFE AND FAMILY WAS HARD ON THE HOMESTEAD, RANCHES AND FARM

the ones that survive know it was loyalty and love that carried them through, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Excellent writing!

Love the way you showed their life through to the end, I hate wondering about good characters when the story ends!

FeyGranddad95FeyGranddad95almost 6 years ago
A Masterpiece

What a wonderful yarn. I really enjoyed your tale and the short progression through the later years. Zeke wasn't too perfect; we just don't need to air the laundry of our heroes. The author showed some very human faults. I'm old enough to remember a time when a man's (or woman's) word really was worth something. Also a time when people were taught that that they were responsible for their actions and the consequences thereof.

Many thanks for sharing your talent with us. I look forward to your next adventure.

TailakaTailakaalmost 6 years ago
A western in the Grand Tradition

The typos were fine, the occasional missing letters and wrong words were Okay, but PLEASE edit for wrong characters names.

1)"I walked around with BUD and the Lieutenant, handing out cash."

2)"Pa, BUD, Brad, Paul, Sonny, Jacinto, and Lionkiller sat with me as we watched the troopers fade into the distance."

3)"BUD snapped the whip a couple of times making him flinch."

Problem w/ all 3 quotes, from page 13, is Bud was already DEAD. All of these, and more, appeared on the same page as:

"He had been grimfaced and brooding since BUD had been killed."

4 Cong. Medals of Honor in one family was a little far fetched as well.

PrfsrPrfsralmost 6 years ago
Little things

Wonderful story. I was bothered by the incorrect use of “it’s”. “It’s” is correct only when you mean “it is”. The possessive for “it” is “its” with no apostrophe. Mounted soldiers are cavalry, not calvary - look up the words, big difference.

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtaralmost 6 years ago
Hog Wash

A Zane Grey or Louis L'amour you are not! I object to the huge distortion of facts. People would rather believe fiction than facts so there will be people who will believe events portrayed here actually took place. Some of the minor details might like Jessica prowess with firearms. Women living in a house with nothing to do, no way in hell. Women who did not know how us guns; come on get real.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 6 years ago
Oldmarriedtwat

Get invited to parties much?

NightReadNightReadalmost 6 years ago
It's a good read

I enjoyed your story. Most importantly I was entertained. Keep up the good work and ignore the critics.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 6 years ago
Great Story

Really great story. Not Woodmanone with details but a really great story line and characters. Thanks for sharing.

Ani100Ani100almost 6 years ago
Nothing to say ...

... But "thanks".

authoreyesauthoreyesalmost 6 years ago
you, sir, are a rare talent

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us mortals. May your pen never run out of ink. 💖💋

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Brilliant

Once again a superb story from a rare talent.

Many thanks for sharing your stories with us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
welcome back

so glad to see you writing again and with an opus no less, well done.

rjm2rjm2almost 6 years ago
Impressed

I'm impressed, gave ya 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Awesomeness

What a great read, I just love the way you fill out a story , keep up keeping it up , the western tales gets me going every time, thankyou than you thankyou!!

Max604Max604almost 6 years ago
Great

Excellent story!!!!! I'm not usually big on westerns but I really enjoyed this!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!!!

calgarycamperscalgarycampersalmost 6 years ago
Fabulous

Great research. As well, you could feel all the drama and heartache.

Well done! 5's

KRD19254KRD19254almost 6 years ago

WOW another +6*, and true to Q, I had to look-up a few words I've never seen/used (and I have a very extensive vocabulary but apparently pales to Q's).

I would have liked to know more about the later history of Jessica & Sabrina.

I got confused a few times in the story between who was Bud vs. Brad.

While reading I visualize this story as a movie with Zeke/John Wayne and Claire/Maureen O'Hara - actually some of the story does remind me of "Big Jake."

Hooyay - Salute to you Q!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Old school western

I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. Good characters filling the roles even to their deaths if needed. Takes me back to westerns I read in the 70's by the mainstream authors of that time. Well done!

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
SAM PECKINPAH...EAT YOUR HEART OUT

this story could equal the Wild Bunch, TK U MLJ LV NV

Crusader235Crusader235almost 6 years ago
Beyond

Beyond excellent, just may be the best western on Lit! It is the best I've read so far. I'm sure us readers wouldn't complain about more stories about the next generation of this family. Five stars ain't enough! Thank you for it.

dawg_of_wardawg_of_waralmost 6 years ago
The Legends of Old

Wishing I could give this 10 stars. Q this was a magnificently written story. Your character development and scenery description were excellent. At times I forgot I was reading on an erotic free site. This story is worth publishing and even having a screenplay written for production.

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit it here.

DoW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Helluva story!!!

This is far and away your best work to date!!

OldBrigantineOldBrigantinealmost 6 years ago

Q, I commend another great piece of writing.

What really interests me is in your story it describes in graphic detail death, killing, maiming, whipping the flesh off body/genitals and slow hanging. All for revenge/justice. But yet my story that obtained revenge on only the CHEATERS & Paramours was censored off L after one week of posting by some do-gooder as it advocated death, killing, torture, and bondage.

Oh I get it, my L-LW story was of modern day and yous was of the 1800's, so all the above is proper on L if the story is possibly historic accurate so as to NOT make L look like hypocrites.

Q understand, I have nothing against any part of your story (except for maybe the four family CMH - over the top). You wrote it in the context of the way it was back in those lawless days of range law. Salute!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
10 Stars

Simply put this is the best story I've ever read on Lit. I've been a member for over a decade! Thanks for writing and posting this!

BigGuy33BigGuy33almost 6 years ago
Amazing!

And I am officially a big softie. I know these are just characters but I got a little misty when Courtney died. I kept thinking, 'she was gonna be a fashion designer!" What a wuss I am. Well done, Q. Well done.

Cardswin2011Cardswin2011almost 6 years ago
Best ever!

You have always been one of my favorite writers, but you have outdone yourself with this saga. Absolutely brilliant. Well done, sir!

DrizdartDrizdartalmost 6 years ago
Tremendous ...

knowing a bit of history from that place around that time, this was great. Nary an anachronism to be found, and certainly none that disturbed the vast span of the story.

Until, that is, the claim of 4 Medal of Honor winners in the family. There are only two father/son pairs who have won the award, and only a very few have been awarded two Medals of Honor.

The sweep of the story and the strength of the characters are great.

crazycujocrazycujoalmost 6 years ago
Epic!

this is a masterpiece. well written and excellent characters woven into a fantastic tale of the west! it has it all with romance, bad guys, good guys, gunfights, cattle drives, and some very tough women! many thanks for some great entertainment!

brownmobbrownmobalmost 6 years ago
awsome

extraordinary story, please keep it up

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Great Story

Simply fantastic storytelling.

arrowglassarrowglassalmost 6 years ago
One of the most well put together..fascinating...cannot put it down stories I have ever read!

Standing tall among the best stories I have ever enjoyed. Thanks for this wonderful saga!

manic2366manic2366almost 6 years ago

I always love a good western. Great read.

BalddudesrockBalddudesrockalmost 6 years ago
Good story

Goofy, funny, and pulp fiction-y.

Five thumbs up!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A Great Read

Thanks for this story it was a very enjoyable read! I enjoy your work so much...please keep writing for us.

"Buckeye Fan"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Good read

Always liked westerns. Read every book that Louis L'Amour wrote when I was a kid. This story takes me back so thanks for that. Very well done. 5 stars for sure

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Wow, what story

Thank you QHML1 !

What a wonderful read this has been. I watch your page checking for new stories. Boy was I rewarded for finding this one. You are a talented storyteller. Thank you for sharing this excellent tale with us, the readers here on Erotica

gary

PaulFellyPaulFellyalmost 6 years ago
An excellent story.

Thank you so much for sharing your creative work with us. This was a gripping read and I enjoyed every word of it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Great Story

This was an excellent story. I've always been a fan of westerns and this is by far one of the best I've ever read. I really would have liked to see the siblings get revenge on the trail boss that stole the money from their cattle sale, but all in all a great story nonetheless.

CaOldDogCaOldDogalmost 6 years ago
Fantastic Story 5*

One of the best stories I have read on this website - thanks for the great adventure.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
So disappointing

One of my favorite writers. Great story line, didn‘t like the execution though. Zeke‘s brutality is unnerving, but that is not my main point. The sloppy writing is. The story is full of typos, wrong grammar, fairly basic stuff even. As said, very disappointing, needs a thorough overhaul.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 6 years ago
Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord

Sheesh! That final scene with Preacher was rough... but still heartwarmingly satisfying! I was scared (and relieved) when Jessica was kidnapped. I couldn’t help thinking about the abduction of Lorena in McMurtry’s “Lonesome Dove”.

I hate the overuse of superlatives, but “Split Trails Ranch” is your best, in my humble opinion. And I have read most all of your submissions and reread several, including “A Summer at the Lake” and “An Unexpected Reaction” as well as “Walking in Heaven” on Kindle. Wow, what great characters. I hope this one makes to an ebook publishing! Many many thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
great read

this was the best western I have read on this site a damn good story and you have wrote some good ones

loveitbareloveitbarealmost 6 years ago
Great Story

What a tale..... Loved it

rnebularrnebularalmost 6 years ago
Just wow

I have always loved qhml's work, but this is just something else entirely. I bow and thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

Rnebular

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Amazon

Your bio page mentions that you have stories for sale on amazon but there's no mention of your author name. I was able to find you by searching for a title another commenter mentioned but let's face it, some people are idiots and won't do a title search. It might be helpful to add your author name and/or a link to your author page on amazon to your bio to help people find you more easily. You know, greater chance of people who want to support great authors from Lit being able to throw a couple bucks your way and all. :)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Superlatives don't work here

This, like many of your other stories, was a pure joy to read! You take time to develop the characters while weaving a great yarn! Thanks for the enjoyment.

g6sl1g6sl1almost 6 years ago
Excellent Read

If only some of these GREAT stories could go on the Movie circuit. Thanks from us to imagine the story line.

burningloveburningloveover 5 years ago
A Profound Western Tale

I was blown out of my boots!

I look forward to all your stories and this was one of your best. I was on vacation and read the story in parts. Definitely a page turner! Thank you for the great entertainment.

Burninglove

silverace1silverace1over 5 years ago
Amazing!

Not a fan of westerns but this was a great tale. Thanks! 👏👏👏

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
GREAT STORY

It was a pleasure to read. You write very well.

IchasemyWifeIchasemyWifeover 5 years ago
Outstanding !

One excellent tale! Read it in one go; just couldn't put it down. Hope you are able to write many more stories. Thank you for writing.

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisterover 5 years ago
Excellent Western Tale!

I enjoyed this story immensely. Although a little rough in spots for today's society, I suspect that during the time and place in which it was set that it was necessary to survive. It was sad that some of the 'good guys' didn't make it, but that is to be expected in this kind of 'warfare'.

Also, I see the author got it right in the text, but several comments didn't. It's called just the 'Medal of Honor', even though it is awarded by the Congress.

Thanks again for a great story. I could almost smell the dust and gunpowder!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Great story- After reading this I Read "Rocky Raccoon" are you going to finish that?

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
back when boys 14 or so were men

the 25 or 30 yr old of today couldn't hold a light for those in the 1800 or early 1900 hundreds . back then you either learned to fight or die. I hate to think of our country depending on what's growing up today defending America

patilliepatillieover 5 years ago
Your good brother, real good

I will be buying that stuff on Amazon. Thank you for sharing your gift!

slaverowanslaverowanover 5 years ago
Outstanding!!!!

You had me in tears at several bits and my husband jumped when I cried out YES!!! at Jessica whipped the Preacher.

Fantastic!!! I’d give it 10 stars if I could.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 5 years ago
Great story... of course it is, Q wrote it.

A Higgins? You put a Higgins in this story? C'mon Q, now, you know durn well there just weren't no Higgins left after Tyrel and them other Sackett boys finished with 'em!

Really enjoyed the story. I've always liked your writing and the stories you tell. Thanks for posting. It's been a pleasure. 5 stars, of course.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great read. As a 66 year old fart, its compelling

Read it in 1 setting. This is right up there with "the battle of the greasy grass".

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
a compelling story

really enjoyed this story. Couldn't put it down until the end.

c50chrisc50chrisover 5 years ago
Best rootin'-est tootin'-est western on the site.

Love the story. True to form from the last century.

One of my favorite authors, BTW.

FabGMxFabGMxover 5 years ago
5*

Straight to favorites¡¡ Thanks Q.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WOW!

This is really a great story. Thanks so much for your sharing with those of us that are lacking. I too, read with baited breath, all in one setting. Thanks again for sharing, certainly hope you have a commercial outlet so that you rewarded for your efforts.

Great read, really enjoyed. Too bad those days of killing your own snakes are behind us. There are more than a few that are that need to handled.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WAY WAY WAY TOO LONG

STORY WAS OK BUT IT WAS TOO LONG.....

Crusader235Crusader235over 5 years ago
2nd

2nd read, even better than the 1st. Five stars ain't enough. Thank you for a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Awesome...!

It was like reading Larry McMurtry or Zane Gray. Augustus McCrae and Woodrow Call would have fit in perfectly here. I loved the long detailed ending, too. This is now my favorite story on the site. Wish I could give more than 5 stars. IL

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Best read on website

2nd read. Still the best story I have read on Literotica. Outstanding!

davwoodavwooover 5 years ago
Enthralling story probably not gritty enough for the American West

A great read, one of the best in Literotica. Plenty of blood and guts. Please give it a go if you like cowboy and cowgirl stories. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well done!

I had previously read all of your stories and was very pleased to find a new one. It was very well written and as joy to read! Thank you, Mike

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A WONDERFUL TALE

A great story with amazing, courageous, loveable characters. Thank you, Mr. Author, for sharing your great talent, your hard work, and your wonderful tale!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
8999 Followers
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories