Spontaneous Combustion!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I may have the deal of a lifetime." He started, rubbing his palms together. "It's a little complex, but it's guaranteed to pay off. I wanted to give you the opportunity to get in on the deal, Max." He told me.

Now, I had no doubt that Tanner considered me a good friend, however, I had spent enough time with him to know participation in this deal was not done as a testament to our friendship. He needed something from me.

Tanner went on to tell me he had an option on a valuable piece of property on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. The widow of one of the principals of the firm he worked for in Texas owned the property and was thinking of selling it. Apparently, Tanner had become friendly with her and he had always told her if she ever wanted to sell, she should ask him first. Sounds like he may have charmed the elderly widow.

Now she was offering the land to Tanner.

"She wants a million for the property," he excitedly told me. "It has to be worth two or three times that amount. It is on a beautiful sandy beach. Once we build something on it, we're talking no less than five million for the beachfront home." He explained.

He brought out a folder and showed me photos of this bare piece of land populated with scrub vegetation and palm trees. The blue green sea sparkled in the background. I definitely could see how special this real estate was.

"I can borrow against a few things and with my existing cash put together a half million." Tanner told me. "If you invested half a million, we could buy the property 50-50. I'll create some high-end real estate marketing materials. We sell the beachfront estate and minimum, your money is doubled in a year. Eighteen months maximum." He went on.

His eyes were gauging my reaction. His enthusiasm was somewhat contagious. I sat for a moment and thought. He kept adding persuasive comments as I considered his proposal.

"Tanner," I began. "Wow, you've caught me off guard. It really is a beautiful property, but a half a million dollars is a lot of money. I don't have near that available immediately. That would require a large collateralized loan." I told him.

All the time he's nodding his head over and over trying to transfer his excitement to me.

He rambled on for another few minutes about the deal, the property and the profit. Finally I told him I would need to talk to Anna and think about it. The rest of the evening Tanner was on. He was enthusiastic about everything. He was in major sales mode.

"Max," he exclaimed. "You're my best friend. We've known each other a long time. I truly believe this will be a good thing for us." He told me.

I said I would get back to him tomorrow, but it was funny, the more persuasive he tried to be, the more wary I became about going into any type of partnership with Tanner.

Later that night I told Anna about the proposal from Tanner. She was curious about it. If anything a little more interested in the opportunity than I was. I had mixed feelings and the more I thought about it the less enthusiastic I became. I would sleep on it.

By mid-morning I had decided, for a lot of reasons, to decline the offer to invest in the property. There were two main reasons: I was much too conservative in my investment philosophy. And the second reason, I was concerned that it could harm my friendship with Tanner long term if there were problems.

I texted Tanner and asked if he would meet for lunch. He agreed.

I knew he would be disappointed when I told him no, I just wasn't prepared for how disappointed. He got mad.

"This is a sure thing," he told me. "How can you walk away from a half million in profit?"

The friendliness was long gone. He was now questioning my intelligence and judgement. Finally he played his last card. He questioned my friendship.

When I tried to explain that I was concerned about how this deal could affect our friendship, he dismissed my reasoning. The more animated he got about my refusal to join his deal, the more sure I was that I had made the right decision.

"Tanner," I finally said to him. "If this is as sure a thing as you are describing, certainly you will have many more people anxious to partner with you."

He just stared at me. I could tell what I told him made him angry, I just didn't know why.

"Even Anna thinks this would be a good deal." He told me.

"Anna?" I said. "You talked to Anna about this?" I asked.

Since when was he talking to Anna about this type of thing. An emotion I had thought I had long gotten over flared in my brain. Jealousy. He tried to explain that he wanted some landscape ideas from her for the proposed property.

Huh, I thought. I would need to hear Anna's side of this.

When we exited it was far from the enthusiastic warmth of the previous evening. A slight chasm was now separating our friendship. It will be interesting to see how this would play out.

— — — — — — — — — —

Weeks passed. Anna told me she had spoken to Tanner about the property and he had asked her about tropical landscaping. She was excited to give him her ideas on the project. She told me she had not worked with a tropical design before and was interested. She told me she thought the land investment could be a good deal, but also understood why I had declined.

Slowly over the weeks my friendship with Tanner healed to some degree and we did do business together so we needed to talk. I never asked him about the project but it sounded as if he was going forward with the plan, somehow.

I stopped by his office one day to pick up another near tardy premium check. I saw a glossy brochure with a real estate rendering of a magnificent tropical home. I could tell it was on that beautiful beachfront lot in Kauai. As I was examining it Tanner came out of his office. He told me that he may have an interested party for the proposed home.

He told me that he had gotten the money together personally and leveraged the loan and bought the land on Kauai. He said that he was almost done with a large cedar rustic custom on a large lot in wine country. Once he was in the finishing stages of that he would temporarily move to Kauai to start the estate, in about a month.

I asked about the deal to sell the Kauai estate.

"It will sell for 5.5 million." He told me.

"Wow, five and a half million dollars!?" I exclaimed. "Who's the buyer?" I asked.

"Actually, a local guy," Tanner said. "Do you know Sidney Weingrass?"

Yes, I knew who Sidney Weingrass was. That prick Michael Ameche works for him. He didn't have a great reputation, but I assumed he was rich.

"Tanner," I said "be careful dealing with Weingrass. I have heard some not exactly great things about him and his business."

"Max," Tanner said. "Not to worry, I know Sid. We've done some business together. He's a great guy." Tanner dismissed my concerns.

A few days later Anna came in and told me she had a new client. Tanner. She explained that she would create some designs for the beachfront home he was building on Kauai.

"I'm excited about it." She said. "I've always wanted to do a tropical project." She told me.

"What will that require of you?" I asked.

"Most of it will be done out of my office here. But . . . . I was hoping that in October, when I need to be there, you and I could take a second honeymoon. And it will be a tax write off." She told me.

That actually sounded great. Particularly great in March in the Pacific Northwest. When the rain, wind and cold seems to be a permanent part of life. A warm tropical vacation sounds wonderful. And I would like to see this house. Plus I felt like this would be good for our relationship. Revive it.

A week later Anna burst in to give me more potential good news. One of the local TV stations, KPAL, was looking to add a weekly garden spot and they wanted to talk to Anna about hosting it.

Life seemed to be moving on in a positive direction for both Anna and I. Things were good, though I started to feel a bit like Anna and my connection was not quite as strong. I rationalized that we were both busy.

One night Tanner, Anna and I all went out. Tanner was due to leave for Kauai in the next few days. We discussed our second honeymoon/working vacation visit in October when we would see Tanner's job site.

Tanner talked a little about the finances of the lot purchase and the building of the house on the beach on Kauai. It was complicated, I couldn't quite follow it all and I wondered how legal it all was. It sounded like he was co-mingling funds. The money to finish the lodge in wine country may be paying for some of the Kauai estate. It was complicated and at least unethical.

"The way I've got it arranged," he told us, "Once we close on the Kauai property I should walk away with nearly four million after taxes." He said, smiled, and leaned back in his chair.

I hoped it would all work out for him, I had some doubts. After listening to him one thing I didn't doubt was my decision not to go into partnership with him on this property purchase.

After we left Tanner and were driving home, I voiced some of my concerns around Tanner's risky deal.

"Can't you just be happy for him?" Anna said. "Just because he takes more chances than you might, doesn't mean what he is doing is wrong." She told me.

I said nothing. I was surprised by her defense of Tanner.

Several months later Anna had her interview with KPAL, the local television station looking for a gardening personality to host a weekly spot on Fridays. The idea was to get local garden centers to sponsor the show and motivate homeowners to plan garden projects for the coming weekend.

She was nervous and excited. Anna was great looking and photogenic, this would work in her favor. She also had all the beautiful gardens on my property she had created that would serve as a backdrop for her weekly gardening tips. There was also her shed/office that could be converted into a makeshift studio.

Yes, the same building in which I had once screwed Anna in front of the Amazon driver. For some reason I always thought of that pleasant experience when I thought about that shed.

In early September she was contacted by KPAL and was offered the contract to host "In the garden with Anna" weekly starting in late November through the holidays and then picking up again in late winter.

Anna was ecstatic. Not only would she be paid by KPAL but it was free publicity for her landscape design company, Distinctive Gardens. This was all great news. I did sense that a lot of her energy of late was focused on her career, rightfully so. Nonetheless I couldn't help thinking that less of her energy was now focused on us.

We began to talk about our trip to Kauai. Anna had been in correspondence with Tanner on the oceanfront project on Kauai. Sounded like it was progressing but perhaps not as smoothly as Tanner had projected. In fact, I wasn't sure how often she talked to Tanner, but there had been a few times I stopped by her office when she was talking to him and what I heard seemed less about business. More like a social call.

We were scheduled to leave on a Friday and stay through the following weekend, eight days at the Sheraton on Kauai. I was really looking forward to the break. I think we needed to have a nice vacation to help get our relationship back on track. My Dad and Yasmin would take care of things while I was gone. I knew with Yasmin there, things were in good hands.

Two days before we were scheduled to leave, disaster struck. My dad suffered a heart attack. He was at home and started getting chest pain. My mom called me and 911. An ambulance took my dad to St. Luke's.

Anna and I met my Mom at the hospital. My dad was conscious but in pain. We visited for a few minutes before we were shoo'd out by his nurse. Later we met with the cardiologist and he said my dad would be in the hospital for a few days and then bed rest at home afterwards.

Both Anna and I knew what this meant. No Kauai trip for me. Not only did I need to support my parents, I needed to be in the office during the week. Anna said that she would stay home too, but we both knew she needed to be there, on-site, to oversee the landscape design. I was preoccupied with my dad. We both decided she should go and then try to get home as soon as she could. We would celebrate our second honeymoon at a different time.

Dad was still in the hospital when I drove Anna to the airport. I was preoccupied with worry over my dad's health, I guess I had not given much thought to Anna's trip. I tried to focus on her during the drive. Telling her how much I will miss her and for her to try to find some time to relax and enjoy Hawaii.

We said goodbye with a hug and a kiss. Quickly she disappeared into the long line of airport security. I had pledged to call her daily. I returned to my dad's bedside.

On Saturday my dad was discharged with clear instructions of bed rest. The doctors were reviewing surgical options including a bypass. Between my mom and I one of us would be at his bedside for the next week or so to make sure he was convalescing correctly.

My dad has always been an early to bed, early to rise type. I told my mom I would be over Sunday by five AM to be at his side and allow my mom to sleep in a little. She relieved me about nine AM.

As I was driving home I was surprised to get a call from Tanner. He asked about my Dad and then asked a favor of me to stop by the job site in wine country, the big cedar lodge he was on the verge of finishing. He needed something that the inspector had left. I told him I would be with my Dad today but could get it for him sometime this coming week.. He said that anytime during the week was fine. I also told him his insurance premium was past due.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll get it to you." He told me. Typical. I'll need to swing by his office and get a check.

As I got off the phone I wished I was with Anna in Hawaii. I think it was the soft Hawaiian music I heard in the background as I spoke to Tanner. It made me think of our honeymoon trip. I associated the Hawaiian music with the great time we had when we were there.

I decided to call Anna. It took her a few moments but she answered sleepily.

"Good morning," she greeted me. And then it hit me, it was early there. There's a three hour time difference between Hawaii and the west coast. It was only six AM on Kauai.

"I forgot how early it is, sorry." I told her.

"That's OK. How's your Dad?" She asked.

We went on to talk about my Dad and her trip so far. I longed to be with her. I imagined the doors open to the balcony, the warm breeze, the sound of the ocean, the tropical smell in the air, and that constant, beautiful Hawaiian music. We were in the midst of talking and I had a couple more things I wanted to talk to her about when my Mom called and I had to get off.

"I'll call you later," I told her and switched to talk to my Mom.

I had lunch with my Dad while my Mom ran errands. When she returned she asked if I could do some chores while she sat with my Dad.

I began doing the chores and thought about Anna on Kauai and wished again that I was there. I reviewed our short talk and the sensual images of Hawaii. The beaches, the palm trees, the sunsets, the music. The music?

Huh. I began thinking about the music. I recalled the music in the background when I talked to Anna. I also recalled the same sounding music when I had spoken to Tanner. A flare or suspicious jealousy struck me.

I reviewed the facts: Tanner called me and I heard the Hawaiian music. A few moments later I called Anna. It was still early morning on a Sunday in Hawaii. It sounded like Anna was in bed and had just woken up. I heard what sounded like the same Hawaiian music. Were they together? And if so, what were they doing together at six AM on a Sunday morning?

Was I paranoid? Maybe Tanner was just staying at the same hotel as Anna and the music was piped in. For a moment that seemed possible and I relaxed. But on further consideration, Tanner would not be staying at the $300+ per night Sheraton for months on end while he worked on the beach house. He had to have different, more economical housing set up.

Had Tanner spent the night with Anna last night?

I decided to call Anna. I told her my Dad was doing better and we made small talk. Nothing specific. I then decided to ask a few questions. I asked her about the project and some general questions.

"So have you been able to hang out with Tanner after work?" I slipped that question in innocently.

She hesitated. "Why do you ask?" She replied.

Uh Oh. I knew when she didn't want to answer a question she would ask a question back.

"Oh nothing I told her," I kept my voice casual. "Just asking." I said.

"I mean I've seen him at the job site," she told me. "That's just about it." She said.

I kept the conversation light but alarm bells were ringing. I had no definitive proof but I certainly had some telltale clues to sharpen my suspicions.

Later I called Tanner, ostensibly to remind him about the overdue premium.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." He said. "I'll get Bernadette on it in the morning."

I kept the conversation light, nothing specific, just regular talk. Then I thanked him for taking care of Anna while she was there on her own.

"No problem." He replied. "Can't let my buddies beautiful wife be unescorted at night." He added.

We talked a bit more and then I got off. Something wasn't right. Anna was telling me she was only seeing Tanner at the job site and Tanner was escorting her places in the evening? The stories did not add up. But, I had no specific evidence of anything going on. Just a lot of clues.

I began to develop a plan. I made a phone call and planned a meeting for tomorrow morning at nine AM sharp.

Monday morning at the office I met with Yasmin and Angel Reynosa. I asked them for complete confidentiality. They agreed. I explained my concerns regarding Anna and Tanner. They asked no questions, just listened. I asked them if they would go to Kauai and do some unofficial investigation. I gave them a folder with Tanner and Anna's pictures for identification.

"When Mr. Max?" Angel asked. "When you want us to do this?" He asked.

"Tomorrow." I told them. "I would like you there until next Sunday. You will stay at the same hotel as Anna. Just keep your eye on her. If nothing is going on, just enjoy the week." I explained.

Angel and Yasmin accepted immediately. I told Yasmin I would make all the arrangements and gave them one thousand dollars for expenses beyond the lodging and airfare. I told them I would take them to the airport in the morning. But, not a word to anyone about why they were going. They agreed.

As they were leaving the office, Angel stopped me.

"Mr. Max," he said. "Thank you. You ever need favor. You ask Angel." He told me. He looked me in the eye, shook my hand, and left.

Maybe I was paranoid but it was worth a few thousand dollars to me to hear from the Reynosa's that Anna and Tanner were innocent of whatever my jealous over-active imagination conjured up.

I continued to call Anna daily. I never picked up any vibe from her of anything untoward happening. I was beginning to feel a little foolish about my paranoia and sending the Reynosa's to spy.

Thursday afternoon and I decided to head out to Tanner's nearly completed project in wine country. He had asked me to pick up a document from the county. Just as I arrived at the house I received a phone call from Yasmin. I had told them not to bother calling unless there was something to report.

I expected her to tell me all was well. That's not what happened.

"Max," she began. "Angel took some pictures that you should see." She told me.

I asked her to tell me, but she just kept saying "you look at pictures". I heard the chimes from my phone of messages received. I told her I would call back. There were four pictures.