Standing in for Dad Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On the way out to go home, the press surrounded me quite unexpectedly. "Officer! Do you have any remorse for killing that man? We saw the Governor speak to you afterwards, what did he say? Would you like to say a few words to our audience Sheriff?" The family looked to me for guidance and I shook my head yes.

I walked up to the reporters and politely responded: "Ladies and gentlemen: yes I have remorse for the shooting, but I would do it again if I had to; just like in this situation. It was an innocent man's life or a killer's life. I chose the innocent man's to save. It did not matter that it was the Governor, I would, and have, done it for others in the line of duty or self-defense. Each time was depressing, but each time my hand was forced. I take some solace in knowing I saved lives."

"All life is precious...yes, ALL life is precious. But a society cannot allow deadly criminals to have their way. To do so invites anarchy and survival of the fittest where the biggest bully or biggest gang rules the streets, which even the most liberal of people do not hold as an ideal. It is important for our citizens to know: men and women like myself are prepared to fight what you fear. We will stand tall in the face of violent criminals on your behalf. Thank you, that is all I have to say at this time."

With that, James and Marion ushered Sue and me to our car and cleared a path for us to drive off.

"That, my dear, was on helluva, damn good, off the cuff speech." In just a few sentences you shut up the liberals who would nay say your actions unless they wanted to look like hypocrites championing protections for the elderly and special needs communities while letting killers walk the streets. Then you expressed a great deal of empathy for the victim in the face of his attempted murder, while assuring the general public that law and order shall prevail, along with having the back of your fellow LEO's. Not sure anyone could have written it better."

"Thank you baby. Well, this evening has certainly changed the course of our lives."

"Baby," Sue said as she patted my thigh, "you are a man who has already dedicated your life to helping others. You may just have to look at this as another way to do so. But, if you decide it isn't for you and you want to walk away, the whole family will have your back. You just say the word."

"I love you, Sue."

"I love you too, Harry. I have loved you since we were children, and it has only matured over time."

"Come to think of it, the State D.O.L.E. fellas didn't ask for my weapon tonight or suspend me until the investigation was over, I wonder why?"

"Baby, the Governor pulled the lead investigator over and told him to leave you be. That it was a clean shoot and that you were to be exhonerated on the spot. If that was an issue then he should consider that, as Governor, he had just pardoned you for any actions you had taken this evening. They were told, baby."

"Damn!"

"Yeah, serious politics at hand tonight, and it isn't over, either."

"What do you mean?"

Sue just smiled.

We got to the house around 8:00 and the whole extended family got to work. Leesie had already ordered Champaign and Hors d'Oeuvres from the Club with strict instructions that Chef and Mavis had to bring them over ASAP. It was not that big a deal as the Club had been shut down for the investigation as well as cleanup. They also offered to pick up the Champaign order and said they would be bringing their bartender as well.

I didn't understand why we needed all of that for just a nice family celebration. But, when everyone took off their clothes and put them away while giving me strict orders to stay in uniform I began to worry.

As it turned out, my instincts were dead on again.