Star-Crossed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a little black box. With trembling hands, I opened it. Inside was a ring. Nothing fancy. Just a simple band.

I inhaled deeply, then said, "Autumn, I was wondering if you'd like to marry me."

She dropped the daffodils. Tears came to her eyes. She wiped them away, laughed in that Muttley way she laughs, then responded, "Sure. Why the hell not?"

***

When a comet comes through the inner solar system, it only stays for a little while. To see one in the sky can be quite the event. It can be life-changing, awe-inspiring, and even frightful. It can be humbling. It can challenge your notion of a normal existence, reminding you how little and fragile you are. Then it disappears. But not before leaving its mark.

The last perihelion of the comet 109/P Swift-Tuttle occurred on December 11, 1992. With its long electric blue tail, it was a beautiful sight for those lucky enough to see it. The next time it swings by will be in the year 2126. Autumn and I, in all likelihood, will be long in the dirt by then. But every summer, around mid-July to late August, the Earth's orbit always intersects the Swift-Tuttle's dust trail. When that happens, if you happen to be in a place with a dark, clear sky, you will likely see the fiery streaks of the comet dust as they hit our atmosphere. That is what the Perseid meteor shower is -- the dust trail left behind by the Swift-Tuttle comet. When Autumn and I get hitched, we won't have a fancy wedding or anything. But for our honeymoon, you'll be sure to find us on the Big Island, watching the Perseid meteors rain down on us.

The End

Thanks so much for reading my Valentine's Day story. I'm not a medical professional or an astronomer, but I tried my very best to be technically accurate. Apologies to the experts in those fields if I messed something up.

In any case, I hope you enjoyed the story. Please give it a rating and leave a comment!

Autumn and Joey's road trip playlist:

Walking in Memphis -- Marc Cohn

We Built This City -- Starship

I'm With You -- Avril Lavigne

Gravity -- Sara Bareilles

Constellations -- Jack Johnson

Can You Feel the Love Tonight -- Elton John

Other songs mentioned in the story:

Bullet with Butterfly Wings -- Smashing Pumpkins

Drive -- Incubus

Sheena is a Punk Rocker -- The Ramones

Edge of Seventeen -- Stevie Nicks

Empty Chairs -- Don McLean

A Town with an Ocean View (from Kiki's Delivery Service) -- Joe Hisaishi