Star-Crossed Lovers Ch. 02

Story Info
The morning after...
2k words
4.53
2.8k
3
0

Part 2 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/05/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Candace's appointment, a young family of three she had known since their little boy was born, arrived at exactly two o'clock.

"Sorry. Are we terribly late?" The wife, Allison, rushed her 2 year-old son and husband inside Candace's studio that was built onto her home.

"No, you guys are fine. Come on in," Candace had to try hard that day at her fake nice act.

"Wow, what happened to you? You look terrible!" Allison oozed.

"Gee, thanks," Candace half-smiled. "I just had a long night, that's all."

"Oh?" Allison raised an eyebrow and was immediately interested.

"You'll have to excuse her. She tries to live vicariously through others now that she's a boring old married hag," David, her husband smiled.

"Oh stop it! I do not!" she gave him a playful slap on the arm.

"It's ok," Candace laughed. "Why don't you guys take a seat over there?" She went about adjusting the lighting and backdrop when she heard a faint knocking.

"Did you guys hear that?" she cocked her head to one side.

"Hear what?" Allison asked, too caught up in her own little world of keeping her young son from running around the room. The knocking came again.

"I'll be right back. Make yourselves comfortable." Candace made her way through the house to the front door. Who the hell could it be? she wondered. No one she knew well ever came in the front. She unlocked the deadbolt and opened the door.

"Hey. Sorry I didn't call first. I thought I would surprise you. Plus, I was kind of afraid you wouldn't answer my call." Sam stood in front of her with his hands shoved in his pockets, grinning a little nervously. Candace realized her mouth was hanging open.

"Well, you definitely surprised me," she gave a genuine smile, but it quickly turned into a frown.

"How the hell did you get my address, anyway?"

"I remembered it from you giving it to the cab driver last night. Before we, uh, changed plans," he looked at her sheepishly.

"Oh. Right. I can't believe you remembered that. Especially after how much we had already drunk," Candace laughed.

"I told you. You don't want to challenge me in a drinking contest." They both laughed. "Who sounds like the alcoholic now?"

"Look, I'm a little busy right now, but you can wait or come back later or something if you want."

"Oh, uh, sorry. Your appointment, right? I thought you would be done by now. Sorry. I thought I could take you to pick your car up," Sam glanced down at his feet.

"Oh my God! I forgot all about it! Would you? That would be so nice. Just, um, make yourself at home. Shouldn't be more than an hour," Candace moved to the side, letting Sam in.

"Thanks very much. I'll just watch some telly for a bit," he plopped down on her couch.

Candace tried to suppress her stupid grin as she made her way back to the studio.

"Sorry about that," she went back to where she left off.

"Who was it?"

"Jesus, Allison, would you give it a rest? Leave the poor woman alone."

Candace shook her head. "It's just a friend," she beamed. "Say cheese." The family of three all gave their most realistic-looking fake smiles.

Allison wasn't falling for it. "JUST a friend?" she looked suspicious. "Was it the same 'friend' that kept you up so late?"

Candace said nothing more, but her face was turning red behind her camera. She clicked away, without noticing that Sam had started peeking in, trying hard not to be noticed. Five minutes had passed before Allison even said anything.

"So, Candace. Is that your 'friend' out there?" she pointed.

Candace turned toward the door and smiled at Sam, holding her index finger up.

"Okay, guys. I think we're all done here if you want to come pick out which ones you like best." Candace led them to the computer where you could view the images off her camera instantly.

"Take your time," she said as she headed toward the door. She cracked it a few inches.

"You're being awfully nosy today. You don't have to stay if you're bored, but we're almost done, really."

"No, no. Just thought I'd get a peek at you in action. Nothing good on the telly anyway," he smiled that wonderful, bright smile of his.

"Alright, Mr.Paparazzi. I'll be right with you," Candace rolled her eyes as she began to walk away.

"Aw, that's you, love. You're the one with the camera," he winked. She just shook her head.

"So, what do you guys think?"

"I think you should introduce us to your friend," Allison giggled.

"I meant your pictures," Candace laughed.

"Oh, come on. Lighten up." Allison proceeded to point out which pictures they wanted in what sizes.

Candace set the order form on her desk in the corner. "Thanks so much, you guys. Pictures should be done in about a week. I'll give you a call," she held the door open for them. Allison turned and gave a little wave in Sam's direction. Candace rolled her eyes, smiling, and shut the door behind her. She crossed the room to let Sam in.

"Sorry you had to wait. I guess that's your own fault for popping in on me," she chuckled. "Shall I give you the grand tour now?"

Candace led him through the house and finally stopped back in the living room.

"I don't know what you were talkin' about last night, but I think your house is lovely," Sam intertwined one of his hands in Candace's. She blushed.

"You seem to be in a better mood today."

"Yah...I am now," she beamed.

"Oh. I forgot to mention. There's a catch to me taking you to pick your car up."

"Oh really? What's that?" she raised an eyebrow at him.

"You have to tell me what was wrong last night."

"Aw, Sam. Come on. You don't want to know anyway. I was just being...stupid."

"Well let me be the judge of that, eh?" There was that evil smile again.

"Come on then, Oprah," Candace playfully pushed him out the door.

"So," Sam started when they were about halfway to the bar from her house. "What was going on with you last night? You didn't think I was going to let it go, did you?" he smirked.

"I was kinda hoping you would," Candace admitted.

"Why? What's the big deal?"

"Why do you want to know so bad?" she retorted.

Sam clenched his jaw for half a second and lied. Well, only partially.

"I just don't like seeing people upset. I felt like you were mad at me." The full truth was that he didn't like seeing her upset.

"I wasn't mad at you so much...as I was myself," she trailed off.

"Aha! So you were mad at me a little then? Why were you mad at yourself?"

Candace sighed loudly as she continued looking out her window, trying to avoid eye contact with Sam.

"I don't know how to explain it without sounding like a total nutter."

Sam laughed at her use of the word "nutter".

"Can we just not talk about this right now, in the car? I promise I'll tell you later," Candace claimed unenthusiastically.

"Alright, alright. Don't go getting grumpy on me again," Sam patted her leg then left it there, testing her reaction. She made no move. Sam smiled to himself.

"I'm not grouchy. I'm just...frustrated..."

"About what?" Candace whipped her head around and gave him a look that said it all.

"Ok, ok!" he put his hands up in surrender. They pulled into the parking lot of the bar. Candace got out quickly as soon as the car was stopped. Sam called after her.

"Hey! Wait a minute. Damn, girl! You promised. Wanna come over for a bit? I'll even make dinner, but don't expect much," Sam chuckled.

Candace was already getting tired of being angry.

"Ok," she forced herself to sound cheerful.

"Alright then. I'll see you in a few," his smile reached his eyes.

How can I say "no" to a face like that? Candace thought as she started her own car. Those blue eyes that lit up every time he smiled. The slight dimples. Everything about him was just perfect, as far as she could tell. She let her mind wander as she followed Sam back to his rental house.

"Come on in," Sam stepped to the side and invited Candace in. "Make yourself at home," he closed the door and walked to the kitchen. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm ok," Candace sat at a barstool in front of the little window between the kitchen and living room.

"Ah, you don't have to keep me company. I'm a horrible chef; might be a while," he laughed as he bent down, looking for a pan.

Candace laughed. "Can't be much worse than I am." Sam stood back up and set a metal pan on the stove. He braced himself against the edge and stared at Candace, waiting for her to spill her guts, as promised. She got the hint.

"You're awfully persistent," she started.

"I am a man, aren't I?" Sam grinned.

"I'm just frustrated with myself."

"I think you said that already," he pulled a package of chicken out of the fridge. "But you didn't say why."

"Right," Candace paused. "I was mad because I don't normally let myself act like that."

"Like what? Having fun?" Sam joked.

"I don't usually take strangers home or go home with them, for that matter. But I NEVER..." Candace trailed off, looking away from Sam's gaze.

"Get feelings for strangers that quickly?" he finished her sentence.

"What the hell?!" Candace realized he had known all along what she had been thinking.

"I just wanted to hear you say it," he continued reading her thoughts. "Don't be cross. I've been feeling like I'm crazy for feeling the same way. Men have feelings too, you know?" he joked again.

"You're a lot better actor than I thought!" Candace laughed.

"Oh! Low blow!" he joined in her laughter.

"How do I know you're not acting right now to get in my pants again?" Candace raised an eyebrow, trying not to laugh.

"Hmm," Sam said as he came out of the kitchen and stood next to her. "I guess you're just gonna have to trust me," he leaned forward, taking her face in his hands, kissing her deeply. He pulled back reluctantly. Candace opened her eyes.

"It's gonna really suck when you go back to California," she let the disappointment seep into her voice.

Sam's face sunk, though he tried to hide it. "Let's not talk about that now, yeh?" he walked back around to the kitchen. Now he was the one avoiding eye contact.

"Why?" Candace demanded, staring at him through the window. Sam met her eyes, looking angry.

"I don't want to think about it right now. Let's just enjoy the evening."

Candace was beginning to feel as angry as Sam looked. She joined him in the kitchen, throwing the chicken he was holding into the pan.

"Do you know how hard it is for me to tell people how I really feel? You at least owe me the same courtesy of telling me what's on your mind too," she fumed, her face growing redder by the second. Sam turned and faced her slowly.

"Fine," he said quietly. "You want to know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking I must be crazy for having feelings for someone I barely know. And if we keep seeing each other the entire time I'm here, I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about leaving. Are you happy now?"

Candace could feel the hole he was burning through her. She fought hard to fight back tears.

"Why are we getting mad at each other then?" The first tear rolled down her cheek. Sam's face softened and he wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight.

"I'm sorry," Candace's voice was muffled through his shirt.

"Ssshh. Don't be sorry," Sam stroked her hair. "Not to sound cheesy, but let's just have fun and see what happens. Whatever's right will happen." Candace nodded against his chest in agreement.