Star-Crossed Lovers Ch. 05

Story Info
An unexpected surprise...
2.2k words
4.58
2.5k
3
0

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/05/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
hrnymom6814
hrnymom6814
148 Followers

"Thank you again for the wonderful weekend. <3" Candace texted Sam Monday morning.

"I'm glad you had a good time. :)"

"I didn't have a good time. I had a GREAT time. You wore me out, though. I passed out at 8 o'clock last night and just got up about an hour ago."

"lol I'd say I'm sorry, but I'd be lying. It was your idea to go hiking yesterday, remember? :P"

"I don't think that's the main reason I'm so tired and you know it. ;)"

"Still not sorry. :D"

"I know you're not. I love you."

"I love you too. Get some rest, babe."

"We still on for this weekend?" Sam texted Wednesday morning. It had become their routine during the week when Sam was at work.

"I don't know, babe. Still really tired. Starting to feel like I'm coming down with something now. :/"

"Sorry you're not feeling good. :( What if we just watch a movie at your place Saturday?"

"That sounds good. Sorry I'm a party pooper."

"I care more about you than going out."

Candace's heart swelled. His words made her feel better about ruining their weekend too, especially with Sam's departure looming closer.

Candace woke up on her couch, disoriented, Sunday morning. She sat up and found Sam, still mostly sitting up, fast asleep. He looked so childlike and sweet with his mouth hanging slightly open. Still, she couldn't stop the tears that flooded her eyes out of nowhere. The title screen on the movie they had been watching the night before still played on the TV. She had fallen asleep on Sam's lap.

Candace hurried to the bathroom to relieve herself and not wake him up with her crying. Sobs wracked her body by the time she closed the door.

What is wrong with me? she wondered. Candace knew why she was upset, but even she thought she was over-reacting.

There was a soft knock at the door a few minutes later. Candace jumped.

"Candace? What's wrong, baby?"

Shit. She didn't want him to see her crying. She couldn't exactly hide in her bathroom and wait for him to go away either. She sucked it up and opened the door.

"What's wrong?" his face clouded with worry as he held his arms out to her. Candace fell into him, burying her face in his shirt and letting herself cry. At least he couldn't see her face.

"I'm sorry I fell asleep on you," she blubbered. Sam stroked her hair.

"Is that why you're upset?" he asked. She nodded her head. Sam stifled a laugh and was glad she couldn't see his face.

"Sweetheart, it's ok. It's not like you meant to. Hell, I fell asleep too." He had hoped it would make her laugh, but had the opposite effect. Sam hugged her tighter.

"It's not ok," Candace mumbled.

"Why?"

"Because you're going to be leaving soon," she finally started to regain her composure. "We can't keep avoiding it and pretending like it's not going to happen."

"Ok, ok," he spoke soothingly as he let her finish crying.

"I'm sorry," Candace wiped her eyes a few minutes later, stepping back from him. "I don't know where that came from. I don't get like...that, a lot," she wouldn't look him in the eye.

"Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's ok to have feelings, you know?" He finally got a laugh out of her.

"Not in front of other people it's not," she grumbled.

"Life isn't always rainbows and sunshine," he kissed her on the temple.

"Why don't I make some French toast?" he tried to distract her.

"I know what you're doing," Candace smirked with her hands on her hips.

"Can't blame me for trying, can you?" he smiled back. "I think you've had enough excitement for one morning. Can't we pretend for one more day?"

It turned out to be a good thing they avoided the inevitable for one more day. Sam texted her, as usual, the next morning while he was at work, but asked if he could stop by later. He felt bad lying, saying he just wanted to check on her. But what he really needed to tell her was not something he wanted to say over the phone. He didn't want her to know something was up and worry about it all day. It was bad enough that it was all he could think about.

Telling her the news that he was leaving in less than a week went about as he expected. He wasn't any happier about leaving sooner than originally predicted than she was. Still. She cried, of course, and so did he seeing her so upset.

"I'll come by and see you after work each day," he offered. She just nodded in agreement.

"We can do whatever you want this weekend."

"You know I don't care what we do," she looked up at him with bloodshot eyes.

"I know," he spoke solemnly, stroking her hair.

"Sorry I'm a mess. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but," Candace trailed off and shrugged.

"You didn't think it would be this hard?" he offered, finishing her sentence.

"I mean, we've only known each other a little over a month, for God's sakes."

"Does it matter?" he spoke more indignantly than he had meant.

She just shook her head.

"It's just more overwhelming than I expected. All of it."

She didn't need to explain herself further.

Wednesday evening, Candace didn't come to the door right away. He could see her car through the garage window. Sam was just about to text her when the door cracked open.

"Hey," she didn't open the door any further.

"Are you ok? I was starting to get worried."

"I've been getting sick off and on all day," she said weakly. "Maybe you shouldn't stay tonight. I'd hate for you to get sick."

"Candace, I have to leave in 4 days. I'm not going anywhere. Besides, tomorrow is our last day of filming here. Now, will you please let me in?"

She finally stepped to the side and opened the door for him. She laid down on the couch and Sam followed, lifting her feet and putting them in his lap.

"Why don't you go to the doctor, sweetheart?" Now that he could see her face in the lamplight, he could see how horrible she felt.

She just shook her head.

"I can take you Friday," he persisted.

"It's probably just the flu or something. I'll live. Has anyone ever told you how sweet you are, though?" she gave a small smile.

"Candace, please, just let me take you to the doctor," Sam pleaded with her Friday afternoon.

She hated anyone seeing her get sick. Who didn't? But she was secretly glad he was there, even if he was holding back her hair while she threw up. He got bonus points for bringing her Saltine crackers and chicken noodle soup too.

"What if I said I'm not leaving until you do?"

"Nice try. You already told me you have more shooting to do when you get home," she smirked.

Sam's eyebrows furrowed.

"If I'm not better by next week, I'll go see the doctor, ok?"

"You better," he leaned over and kissed her.

Candace felt horrible that whatever was wrong with her kept them from having more fun on their last weekend together. She was at least thankful she felt well enough to make love to him one last time Saturday afternoon. Other than that, they spent Friday and Saturday curled up on the couch together. He spent the night with her both days. They wanted to relish every minute together.

Sam woke up early Sunday morning and got ready for his flight. He had already packed and brought his belongings from his rental house.

"Let me drive you to the airport."

"I would love you to, but not with you being sick. You know it's not a good idea," he smiled sadly, stroking her cheek.

"Let me know when you go to the doctor, ok? I hate leaving you like this."

Candace nodded, trying unsuccessfully to not start crying. Sam pulled her tight to his body. She never wanted him to let go.

"I love you. I'll come visit as soon as I can," he held her face between his hands, voice cracking. His soulful eyes glistened with tears. He was having just as hard a time keeping it together as she was. Candace's lip trembled. Seeing him as upset as she was put her on the brink of breaking down again.

"I love you," was all she could say. Sam leaned his forehead against hers for a long moment, staring into her eyes, before kissing her.

After the crying finally subsided, Candace tried to take her mind off of Sam leaving. Laying on her couch once more, her mind wandered to her mystery illness. It didn't make any sense. Why would she have been tired for so long before actually getting sick? It wasn't like any flu she had ever heard of. The only time she ever got even remotely that tired was when she was on her period. She often had to take iron supplements at that time of the month to keep her from feeling like she would pass out. But she wasn't on her period. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she had had one. Then it dawned on her.

Candace jumped off the couch, fighting the rising bile in her stomach.

A half-hour later and an impromptu trip to the drug store confirmed her fears. She was pregnant. How could she have been so stupid?

You're not stupid, she scolded herself. You're just forgetful. Candace knew exactly how it had to have happened, but she was still in disbelief. She'd heard of it happening to other people, but figured they were lying and had actually forgotten to take more of their birth control pills than they admitted.

She looked at the time and tried to call Sam. If she were lucky, she might get him before the plane took off.

"Hello?" the connection was crackly. "Candace?"

"Sam, is there any way you can catch another flight?"

"I wish I could, babe, but you know I can't. Is everything ok?"

Candace fought hard to fight back the fresh tears threatening again.

"Just call me when you get home, please?"

"Yah, ok...Are you sure everything is alright? Oh shit. The stewardess is giving me a dirty look. I've gotta go. I love you. I'll call you as soon as I land."

"Just wait till you get home, please. I love you."

Candace woke to her phone ringing a few hours later. She had cried herself to sleep on the couch. It was still up for debate whether it was good or bad that Sam had left before she found out.

"Hello?" she answered groggily.

"Hey, babe. Did I wake you?"

"It's ok. I probably need to get up anyway."

"So, what did you need to tell me?" he got right to the point. "I worried about it the whole way back," he laughed nervously.

Now that she had the chance to tell him, she was scared.

"Candace?"

"Yah. I'm here. Sorry."

"Is everything ok?" he asked again.

"Not really," she fought the lump in her throat.

"What's wrong? You're scaring me, Candace."

She managed to stay in control of her voice long enough to tell him. Rip it off like a Band-aid.

"Sam, I'm pregnant."

Silence filled the space between them.

"Sam?" she asked after a minute.

"Yah. I'm here. I just, I don't know what to say."

"I wanted to tell you in person. That's why I called on the plane."

"So did you just find out?"

"Yes. It dawned on me after you left. I ran to the drug store and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm sorry I didn't realize until you left. I'm an idiot."

"I'm not trying to be insensitive, but how did this happen? I thought you were on birth control?" he practically whispered.

"I am. Or I was. Guess I should probably stop taking that now," she mumbled, more to herself.

"Candace," Sam said a little sharply, trying to get her to finish her train of thought.

She sighed.

"I missed my pill that Sunday. That we met. I didn't think anything of it. I usually forget one every few months," she shook her head at her stupidity, though he couldn't see her.

"I didn't even think it was possible to get pregnant just by missing one. If I had thought about it, I could have gotten a morning after..."

"Do NOT finish your sentence. Don't even think that," he interrupted. Silence ensued. Candace couldn't tell if he was mad at her or what he was feeling exactly. That was part of the reason she almost wished she could have told him in person.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, still on the brink of tears.

"Don't be," he sighed.

"Are you mad?" she came right out and asked him. It would drive her nuts not knowing.

"I'm not mad," his voice softened. "I don't know what I am, but mad is not the right word."

"Infuriated?" Candace blurted. It was almost like she wanted him to be mad at her. She was certainly mad enough at herself for the both of them.

"Candace," he said sharply again. "I just need some time to process this. That's all. I'm not mad, ok?" he tried to reassure her.

"Ok," her voice caught in her throat. She didn't completely believe him.

"I'll call you soon," he promised.

"Ok," she whispered.

Sam ended the call. She couldn't help but notice his lack of "I love you" or even "goodbye".

hrnymom6814
hrnymom6814
148 Followers