Beauty and the Geek

Story Info
A trumpet changes two peoples lives.
12.5k words
4.72
19.8k
39
28
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,788 Followers

*Author's Note: I had three other stories 'in the hopper' when this idea hit me. I stopped everything else until this was finished. It's probably one of my top five favorites, and I hope you'll enjoy it, as well.

******

"I really don't understand. Why do you stay with him?"

She was surprised at the question and even more so by having to think about it. The truth was she couldn't provide a logical answer and said the first thing that came to her mind, and the tone was clearly defensive.

"He's...a good guy."

Her best friend stared her down until she had to look away.

"He's not a good guy, Becky. He's an ass! And a jerk. And he...sucks! Sorry, but that's the nicest thing I can say about him. Good guys don't treat women like that."

Becky Tate was 32 and divorced. She was no longer married because her husband became abusive. Physically and mentally. Now five years out she was still choosing the wrong men, and her latest boyfriend, Todd Andrews, was one of them.

He taught high school and coached the football team. Yes, he was a little on the macho side and okay, he slapped her ass and said occasionally said some mean things, but they were all in fun. She liked that he was five years older. He made her feel safe when they went somewhere. Except for the time he broke some other guy's nose for saying his girlfriend was hot. Had the other guy pressed charges, Todd would have lost his job and his coaching gig.

So if he really was a decent guy, why did the things he routinely said or did make her feel like she'd felt when she was married?

Feeling defensive, she told her friend, Gayle Ennis, she'd like to see some support for her instead of always criticizing her.

"I'd love to, Becks, but I can't be supportive until you're with a guy who treats you well."

She hesitated then kept going.

"Or at least doesn't treat you like a doormat."

She knew Gayle was right, but she couldn't let herself admit she'd made yet another mistake, so she dug in her heels.

"I'm going to the game with him tonight, and we're going out after we win."

"We? You didn't go to high school here, Becky. You moved here after your divorce, and you hate football. So what's with the 'we'?"

Those things were also true, and Becky knew it. She was, however, in for a penny and now for a pound.

"Gayle? Don't take it out on me that you can't find a man," she said, knowing how much that would hurt and instantly regretted it.

She saw the look of hurt on her best friend's face and immediately apologized and hugged her.

"It's okay. It's also true," Gayle admitted as the sting of Becky's words faded.

She was 30 and had never been married, and it wasn't due to a lack of desire. Unlike Becky who was 'cute as a button' Gayle...wasn't. She wasn't 'ugly' she just didn't have a lot going for her in the looks department, and she was so picky that even the average-looking guys who asked her out could never meet her standards.

In stark contrast, Becky was a very attractive woman with long, thick, silky black hair, blue eyes, a great smile and a very nice figure Gayle would have killed for. Now feeling defeated Gayle tried to smile and told her friend to have a nice time.

Becky went to thank her but saw her staring at her and asked, "What is it...now?"

"I know it's chilly outside, but...you're wearing a sweater? Todd is not going to be happy."

Todd had scolded her once for 'looking like an old lady' when she wore a very nice, dressy sweater with a skirt. He let it be known he liked to see a little skin.

"I like to show my woman off a little. Especially when they're as hot as you are, babe!" he told her just before he slapped her ass for the first time.

She hated being called 'babe' but let it slide. She then hated herself because she kowtowed and changed into a sheer blouse and a pair of high-waisted jeans. She hated the way it made her look, but when Todd whistled and said, "Now that's more like it!" she decided it wasn't worth the fight.

"It'll be fine," Becky assured her. "Besides, I'll be wearing a coat, so he won't even notice."

"Until you go out...later," her friend reminded her, her eyes telling her to please listen.

Gayle almost didn't say what else was on her mind, but she'd opened this can of worms and felt like she had to.

"Hon? Why do you put up with him? The macho crap is enough to make me want to vomit!"

"I...I like masculine men," Becky said defensively.

"Me, too, but macho isn't masculine. It's an oafish caricature of masculinity."

Again, Gayle was right, and she'd explained it perfectly. Becky wanted a masculine man but not an egotistical...boor.

"And the ass slapping? I'd...knee him in the balls!"

Becky finally laughed and admitted she'd thought of it.

"Honey? Just don't let any man treat you like that. You're young and beautiful and vibrant, and you deserve so much better. I promise you there are masculine, non-macho, non-ass slapping men out there who don't call your boobs...tits...in public."

Becky laughed again, and thanked Gayle for being so open and honest.

"Hey, I love you, girl. So...love yourself, too. Okay?"

They hugged, and Becky realized it was too late to change clothes now, anyway, and if Todd got upset, then he'd could just be upset. Besides, the chilly temps would become cold temps by game time.

This brief talk with Gayle made her realize that maybe he wasn't such a good guy after all, and if she had to wear what he liked to make him happy, then maybe it was time to cut bait or go fish--or whatever people said when faced with a decision.

Becky was secretly relieved Todd couldn't pick her up. After all, he had to be there two hours before the game started to review strategy with his assistant coach and their quarterback. She was also grateful for Gayle being willing to drop her off as that gave her another chance to make amends for what she'd said.

Once inside the small stadium she found a spot in the bleachers by herself and sat down and thought about how ungodly long a football game could be. There were four, 12-minute quarters, but a 'quarter' could easily last half an hour with timeouts and penalties, and....

"I hate football," she mumbled as she pulled her phone to find a game to play and music go listen to via her air pods.

The only enjoyable aspect of the game came at halftime when the school's marching band played for the home team. She'd always loved the uniforms and the music and the precision marching, and tonight was no exception. The drums, the brass, the pageantry. She dearly loved it all.

Todd, however, hated it. It was part of football, something he loved more than life itself, but he thought the band was a bunch of 'faggy nonsense' and couldn't understand why any self-respecting young man would ever join the band.

"The band, for Christ's sake!" he said the first time she mentioned how much she enjoyed their performance. "Flittin' around in some geeky uniform? And those hats? What the hell is that all about?"

The highlight of her night was a brief trumpet solo that caught everyone's attention, and when it was over, the person playing it got a standing ovation as the band then continued marching and playing. Becky played the piano when she was young but otherwise had no musical talent, but she loved listening to those who did, and whoever the trumpeter was, he had talent.

She was buried deeply in her phone when the game ended. Only then did she realized they'd won as she glanced at the scoreboard and saw 21-14 in their favor. She felt a sense of dread knowing that Todd would come looking for her and be on a post-win high. Then again, he could be an unbearable grump when they lost.

It wasn't uncommon for Todd to take a full hour after a game, but 90 minutes had passed and the parking lot was nearly empty. The school custodian had turned off the field lights, and while there were a few street lamps in the parking lot, Becky didn't feel comfortable.

Ten minutes later she heard his booming voice and relaxed. Until she heard the laughter of two females who happened to be cheerleaders. There were on either side of Todd and lapping up his macho-man comments like puppy dogs.

"Come on, ladies! You can ride with us!" Becky heard him say as he got closer.

"Ee-yay-eee!" the pom-pom queens squealed as Todd called out to Becky, "hey there, sweet cheeks!"

Becky rolled her eyes and didn't answer. Todd actually noticed and asked what the problem was. She glared at 'The Ditzy Chicks' then at him.

"What? We're all goin' in the same direction, so what's the big deal?"

He slapped her ass and told the girls to pile in, but Becky grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Whoa there. What's up with that?" Todd asked as he looked at her hand wrapped halfway around his huge upper arm.

"They're not coming with us," she said quietly but firmly.

He scoffed, pulled his arm away and told her, "Yes, they are."

Thinking the disagreement was settled he kept the passenger door open and nodded.

"Let's go! Giddy up!"

Becky crossed her arms and calmly told him, "No. Either they go or I stay."

"Oh, come on! Don't be ridiculous, baby. We're just dropping them off."

Becky heard one of the cheerleaders say to the other, "What's her problem?"

That was bad enough, but when the other said loudly enough for her to hear, "If Todd's right...she's frigid," followed by more laughter.

He heard it, too, and turned to Becky to downplay it.

"Come on, honey. They're just kids, and kids talk."

Becky had refused to sleep with him even after dating him for two months, and he'd used that very word before. When he reached out to grab her arm and pull her into the truck, she reacted almost violently.

"Don't TOUCH me!!!" she yelled.

"Jesus. What the hell is your problem?" he asked, looking like a stunned mullet.

Rarely ever sarcastic, Becky let it rip.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's too cold outside for me tonight. Or...maybe I'm just...frigid!"

She unzipped her coat and opened it wide before saying, "Oh, no. That's not true. I'm actually warm because I'm not wearing some flimsy, see-through blouse for your entertainment!"

Todd shut the door then said, "I don't who the hell pissed in your Cheerios this morning, but...fuck this."

Becky stared him down until he shook his head and walked around to the driver's side. When he got in, he heard the girls say, "Go Coach!" followed by a loud 'WOOO'! as the truck roared off leaving her standing there alone.

Her rage subsided as fear again set in along with an eerie silence.

"Okay. Stay calm. Call Gayle. Take deep breaths and count. Slowly."

She squeezed the phone and closed her eyes.

"One. Two. Three. Four. Five. S...."

"Are you okay?" a voice asked, breaking her concentration.

Becky shrieked when she opened her eyes and saw a tall, male figure in front of her. Her shriek caused him to back away and put his hands in the air.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," he told her as he kind of tilted his head to get a better look at her.

Becky realized he was no threat and exhaled loudly then apologized.

"No, it's fine," he assured her as he moved a little closer. "It's none of my business, but I uh, I overheard the uh, you know...the...."

She knew what he meant and felt embarrassed and said as much.

"Why would you be embarrassed? He was wrong. On all counts. You had every right to do what you did."

She now tilted her head a bit and wondered why he looked familiar.

Thinking he was about to get the other barrel he apologized.

"Look, I wasn't intentionally listening. The coach is just kind of...boisterous...and when I realized what was going on I wanted to make sure you were okay."

This male figure was about 5'10' and while not thin, he wasn't exactly athletic, either. From what she could see he had a very pleasant face, a nice smile, and a head of hair that reminded her of old photos of Elvis Presley.

"I'm Benjamin," he said, hoping to diffuse her anger.

Becky started to tell him her name when a young girl called out, "Yo, Ben! Let's go!!!"

"Sorry," he said to Becky.

"No, it's okay. It's Friday night, and I'm sure your girlfriend is anxious to go do something more exciting than stand in a parking lot."

"Girlfriend?"

He laughed then let her know that was his sister.

"Oh. I...just assumed...."

Benjamin asked her if she needed a ride.

"Um...no. I'm going to call my friend, but thank you."

"I don't want you standing out here alone until she arrives, though," he told her, causing a feeling of some kind to bubble up inside her. It had to be that he seemed to genuinely care, and caring was in very short supply in her life these days.

"But your sister needs to...."

"Grace? Can you ride with Amanda?" he hollered out.

"What?" she called back.

He repeated the request and got a loud, "Whatever!" in response.

Becky saw her get in a car and rightly guessed that would be with this Amanda person.

"Come on. Let me take you home," he told her more than asked.

"Thanks you, but I really can get a ride."

"Not tonight," he said with a smile. "You're coming with me."

He nodded toward his car and waited until she said, "Okay. Thank you. So much."

"You're very welcome."

He opened her door which also impressed her, and although she wasn't a car buff, she could tell this was a restored classic of some kind. When he got in she asked.

"It's a 1967 Chevy Mustang. My dad and I spent the last two-plus years restoring it. When I turned 18 he gave it to me, and...."

She thought he was tearing up but couldn't be sure until his voice cracked.

"He...passed away a month later."

She instinctively reach over and put her hand on his lower right arm and told him how sorry she was.

"Thanks. Dad was my best friend."

He used his left shirtsleeve to wipe his eyes then apologized for getting emotional.

"Why? If I lost my dad I'd cry, too."

She squeezed his arm and gave him a supportive, 'it's okay' look. When he glanced over at her she told him it took courage for a man to cry.

"My mom says that, too," he told her as he smiled and hoped to change the subject.

"She's right, you know. I've learned...the hard way...that there's a world of difference between masculinity and its cheap counterpart of being macho. I'll take quiet masculinity any day."

He didn't turn away as she'd expected. He continued looking at her until she had to turn away.

"Coach Andrews is an idiot," he said quietly and in a way that touched her deeply.

She managed to look at him just long enough to say, "So am I for not realizing that sooner."

He smiled, and when he did, she smiled, too, and when he started the car she was trying to understand what she was feeling. The roar of the muscle car brought her out of it as she perked up immediately.

"That's...loud!" she said with a laugh.

He had 'headers' on it and revved it up. The noise got even louder, but for reasons she couldn't understand, she liked it and found herself hollering, "WOOO!" just like the bimbos she'd early held in contempt.

"Hold on," Benjamin told her, a grin on his face.

"Why? What are you going to...."

He hit the gas and the car's tires spun and squealed until blue smoke came pouring out. They gained traction and the torque set Becky back in seat and made her scream with excitement. The whole thing only lasted about five seconds, but it sent her heart racing, and had her laughing so hard she could barely breathe.

"I knew you'd like it!" Benjamin told her once the RPMs returned to normal.

"I...DID!" she admitted, "and I just don't do stuff like that."

She was smiling happily as she looked over at him until he said, "I probably burned off ten bucks worth of rubber, but it was worth it just to see you smile."

The smile faded, and he was sure he'd offended her.

"Listen. I didn't mean it like that," he began.

"No. I wasn't upset," she said, not sure why she wasn't or why she was feeling the way she was.

Neither of them spoke for a minute or so before he told her he never did get her name.

"Of course, you may not want to tell me now."

"What? No. It's...Becky. Tate."

She only remembered his sister's call and asked, "You're...Ben, right?"

He winced and told her, "Only my sister call's me that. I prefer Benjamin. Benjamin Reed."

He smiled again and promised he wouldn't call her "Rebecca."

She laughed, too, and told him either one was fine.

"My dad was Benjamin, too, but he was always 'Ben' and I've always been 'Benjamin'."

"Then I will never call you...Ben, Benjamin."

As she looked at him she thought she knew who he might be and asked.

"Are you in the band?"

"Yes. I am indeed."

"Wait. Do you play the trumpet?"

"Also guilty as charged."

"Oh, my goodness! You were SO amazing! That was the highlight of the evening!"

He thanked her then told her she needed to get out more.

"No, I'm serious! You're really good!"

He thanked her again then told her he loved playing.

"My dad bought me a trumpet when I was eight. I started playing and never put it down."

"I...I'd love to hear you play sometime," she said without realizing she not only didn't know him, but he was also still in high school.

"Wait. That didn't sound right, did it?" she said with a little laugh.

"It sounded just fine."

He looked at her and told her he'd love to play for her...anytime.

"Oh. I...I don't know, Benjamin. It's just that...."

"Becky? I'm not asking you out," he said with a little laugh. "I just love playing, and if I have an audience, all the better. Even an audience of one."

She tried not to stare but couldn't help it. He wasn't overtly handsome, but he was definitely cute in a...nerdy, geeky kind of way, and his hair was actually kind of sexy, a word she couldn't believe came to mind.

"Okay. Maybe sometime."

She unzipped her coat once the heater got going, and Benjamin casually said, "I like your sweater."

"Um...thank you," she said, knowing that Todd not only wouldn't ever say that, he'd have made some kind of caustic remark about it.

Not sure what else to say, Becky felt bad and asked him if he had any other hobbies.

"You know, other than restoring cars and playing an awesome trumpet."

He laughed then said something that also surprised her.

"My dad also taught me construction, and I have this dream of one day building my own house."

He looked her way then said, "I can't do everything by myself. I don't know electrical or plumbing all that well or even HVAC, but I can pretty much do everything else."

Becky sat in stunned silence when her brain said, "Masculinity without macho."

"You okay?" Benjamin asked as she sat there staring at him.

"Oh. Yes. Sorry. You're just...full of surprises."

He laughed again then asked her where he should turn.

"Make a left and then a quick right, and mine is the fifth house on the right."

He pulled up to the curb and shut the car off which surprised her.

"Hold on. I'll come get your door."

Before she could tell him that wasn't necessary, he was opening it and offering her a hand. She let him help her out and thanked him as he closed it behind her. He didn't ask if he could walk her to the door. He just extended an elbow and waited for her to take it.

"Thank you, kind sir," she told him as they began walking. It was dark and cold, but for once Becky didn't feel lonely.

"Thank you for letting me take you home," he told her as the walked up the front steps.

"You're different," she said, again not sure why she something so...stupid.

"Uh-oh," he replied with a little wince.

"No! Not...different. Just...nice. Which, for me is...different. In a good way."

He laughed then told her what a pleasure it was to meet her.

"You too, Benjamin."

There was an awkward silence before she even more awkwardly put her hands on his shoulders and kissed him on the cheek. As she lowered her arms, he surprised her yet again when he took her hands. The biggest surprise was that she didn't pull away.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,788 Followers