Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 02 - Inherit Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The music ended and Danaë came back over and taking her seat, began to dig into her lamb. The captain was gratified to see she was in better spirits again. When they had finished their meals, two waiters came over with one carrying two plates of Mille Feuille for dessert and the other a bottle of champagne and two crystal flute glasses. Captain Picard released the cork with a loud 'pop' then filled the glasses. Danaë was surprised when he handed her one of the glasses because he had never allowed her to drink alcohol before, not even synthehol. With childish eagerness she reached out and gripped the stem of the fluted glass. She was about to take a sip when she noticed that her father wasn't drinking yet and instead was raising his glass to her.

"If I have one wish for you on this special day, it would be this: May the greatest moments of your bygone days be the worst of your days to come."

If only that toast had come true, the old man thought to himself, wincing at the memory of a single moment in time that would alter her forever. Yet at the same time he could think of very few people that he was acquainted with that were stronger or more determined than her to win such a deep internal battle. Whatever demons she acquired, she never gave in and always managed to mask her pain with a smile.

The sound of glasses clinking suddenly brought his attention back to the scene before him just in time to see Danaë take her first big sip of champagne. This was followed by a slight giggle as the bubbles tickled her nose. Captain Picard smiled proudly at her before drinking as well and continuing with his meal. For a moment father and daughter looked so happy together as though nothing could disturb their perfect tranquility.

"Computer, freeze program," The old man said, walking over to the frozen figure of Danaë. "I tried to change it! I tried to keep you from meet... " Here he stopped, his emotions momentarily overtaking him. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, willing the tears that were just beginning to appear in his eyes to go away. After several moments he managed to regain control and speak again "I'm sorry I failed." He reached out to try and touch her, but his hand just moved right through the hologram. For a moment his head fell and his heart quaked as the pain of her loss once more crept back. It had been over two hundred years and yet he still mourned her loss. Sucking in a breath and willing himself to push away the sadness he looked once more at Danaë's face. "Happy Birthday."

12