Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 03 - The War Ch. 05

Story Info
High Stakes.
3.5k words
4.67
1.2k
1
0

Part 6 of the 16 part series

Updated 09/16/2023
Created 06/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

Dinner in the captain's mess was exactly that, a mess. Everything felt forced and strained between Lt. D'Arcy and Archer as they tried to make polite chit-chat about engine overhauls and upgrades as well as what she thought needed to be done with it. Making it even more awkward was the understandable curiosity of everyone in the room regarding what had happened to the captain's face. Everyone wanted to know and yet for most of the meal no one dared mention the elephant in the room. It was addressed by T'Pol and was answered with a nonchalant 'looks worse than it is'. This response raised eyebrows and caused the three guests to exchange confused looks.

The captain had hoped to talk with Danaƫ when the meal was over and the others left, but that was not to be. Before they could finish their enchiladas the call came over that a Romulan ship had been detected in the vicinity. To say that they were close was an understatement as Archer barely made it into the lift before they started firing on the Enterprise. When he finally made it to the bridge he discovered that he was not facing a single enemy ship, but nine. He ordered Malcolm to start leveling everything they had at the vessel before them and he was not the only one. Thirty-three coalition ships moved into position and began to fight back against the Romulans, but inexplicably the Vulcans made no appearance.

Even without the Vulcans the Romulans were outnumbered and many were quickly destroyed, but their defeat was not without heavy losses. Starfleet lost three ships and the Andorian's and Tellarite's lost nearly all of their ships. What no one could explain was why the Vulcan's had remained on the far side of the planet and offered no assistance. The answer turned out to a horrifying one. There had been no Vulcan ships at all, but Romulan drone vessels masquerading as Vulcan allies. Archer deployed MACO ground forces to ensure that the planet was secured and its people safe. What they found was that thousands of Denevan colonists had been slaughtered by enemy soldiers. While the Coalition ships were distracted, enemy troops hidden on the drone vessels beamed down and massacred men, women and children. This was the punishment for giving aid.

Horrified by the slaughter of innocent victims, Archer gave orders for each colonist to be identified and given a proper burial. After that he retired to his quarters and remained there for four days. His meals were delivered by the chef while he sat through a number of briefings regarding the situation and remained silent through most of them. He didn't even attempt to persuade the delegates of Tellar and Andoria to continue fighting with Earth, only nodding in understanding as each one pulled their forces. Shran had urged his leaders not to abandon the 'pink skins' just yet and reminded them that the humans were resilient. They were not convinced. In his despair Archer found himself once more thinking that perhaps the Vulcan's had been correct in holding back Earth's advancement into space exploration. Everything they had hoped to achieve had fallen apart time and time again.

By day five he finally emerged from his quarters restless and desperate for an escape from all the fighting, death and carnage. He really should have been asleep, but his mind was too active and awake. Unable to take another moment of lying in bed dwelling on the Romulans, he wandered down to the mess hall to grab a snack. Surely no one would be in there at this hour and indeed, his instincts were correct at least initially. As he pondered whether to take a slice of pecan pie or a dish of Eton Mess (how could you ever go wrong with berries, meringue and whipped cream) he heard the doors slide open and saw T'Pol walk in. Resting his hands on the display before him, the captain dropped his head with a sigh, his shoulders becoming stooped as silently prayed she wouldn't say what he knew she was undoubtedly thinking.

"You cannot hide away forever. What happened to the Denevan colonists was not your fault" there it was, exactly what he had expected and as always the sub-commander did not disappoint.

"Isn't it?" he responded, turning his head to look at her. "The Vulcans have been more than clear about how much support they are willing to give and yet I still allowed myself to believe those vessels were allies. When I saw how many there were I should have seen it as a red flag."

"There was no way for you to have known those were drones. They fooled the Andorians and the Tellarites. I am a Vulcan and believed them to be what they appeared." She pointed out and he knew she was right, but it didn't make it easier.

"I was the one who had contacted the colony and asked for aid. I should have left them out of it and found another way to get supplies. They were murdered because they helped us. That is my fault. At the very least we should have had MACOs on the ground to protect them, but instead I let myself get distracted by..." Here he stopped. He couldn't bring himself to tell her how he had been preoccupied with ship's gossip or that it led to a fight with the major. It was childish and he should have known better. "I should have paid better attention."

"The Romulans made it clear that they would retaliate against any planet aiding and abetting Earth. The colonists believed in your cause enough that they were willing to risk everything. If you want to honor their sacrifice then keep fighting, stand strong and don't give up." T'Pol suggested, to which Archer could only nod softly. Her logic was sound and he knew she was right, but it was so hard to see it through the raw emotion wrought by such a senseless massacre. Seeing the bodies of grown men and women had been tragic enough, but the children... my God, the children. They never had a chance to live and the sight of their corpses broke the captain more than anything could have.

Foregoing his late night snack, the captain decided to distract himself with a solitary game of pool in the game room. He had done this numerous times before and found it to be an excellent way to think things through while blowing off some steam. He also knew that no one was ever in there at this hour. Unfortunately, once again his assumption proved wrong. The door no sooner opened and he found himself unexpectedly staring directly at a fine, curvy, female derriere bent over a pool table. He might well have ignored it, but he knew this one all too well. Sure enough with the crack of a cue stick hitting the white ball, Danaƫ's blond curly hair raised up. She glanced back over her shoulder at the captain then moved around the table to her next shot.

"So the dead have arisen," she commented. "The entire crew was starting to worry about you."

"I've had a lot on my plate. I've been in constant meetings and it has been announced that the Andorian's and the Tellarites will no longer be supporting us in this endeavor. They both sustained too many casualties in this last go around for them to continue lending us aid. I can't say that I blame them. I would do the same. Right now my mind is still trying to process everything. In particular, what could I have done to prevent it."

"It's not your fault." She smiled gently at him knowing everything that had happened was being placed squarely on his shoulders.

"That's what T'Pol said, but I can't shake the feeling that it is."

"I suppose it's normal for any captain to feel that way." The lieutenant commented.

"You would have a better understanding of my situation than some," he sighed. "You probably watched your father go through this a million times." She didn't answer, but there was a knowing look in her hazel eyes that told him hevwas right.. "Anyway I came here looking for a distraction, not to rehash my misery." He looked over at the table she was playing on and saw that the lieutenant was down to only two balls. Sliding the stick through her fingers she bounced the white ball off the bumper and into the solid blue number two ball which gracefully rolled into the side pocket. "I didn't know you played pool."

"It's been a while, but yes. When I was still recovering from the nerve damage caused by the Yamanu, Dr. Phlox suggested billiards as a way to work on my fine motor skills. A form of occupational therapy as it were."

"Is it helping?" he asked. The lieutenant carefully balanced the stick right between her thumb and pointer finger. She bent over, her hazel eyes looking down the wooden shaft and visualizing a straight line from the cue ball to the eight ball to the pocket.

"Eight ball top right corner pocket." With that the tip hit its mark sinking the ball exactly where she wanted it. "I guess it is," she smirked. "Table is yours."

"Why don't you stay and play one game with me?"

"What are the stakes?" Danaƫ asked. Leaning against the table. It would only be fun if there was something of value on the line.

"What do I have that you want?" he asked. This was a good question and the lieutenant had to stop and really think this through. The captain only had one real prized possession and while she certainly didn't necessarily want it for the long term, having it for a day or two would fulfill a childhood dream. "Porthos," she announced. Archer clutched his chest as though he had been stabbed in the heart and stared at her in shock.

"Ouch! He's my family, my buddy."

"Not forever, but how about twenty-four hours? If I win I get to spend one full day cuddling him and playing with him."

"Twenty-four hours?" He sighed and thought for a few moments before finally giving an answer. "Okay, but if I win, then we share a glass of Chateau Picard while you serenade me with your flute."

"That was given to me by my father, and is irreplaceable."

"So is Porthos."

"Yes, but you can always get another puppy. I can't get another bottle of my family's wine, at least not from the twenty-fourth century."

"Then I guess you better win."

"Oooooo," she hissed, narrowing her eyes in a glare.

With such high stakes each took up their sticks ready to defend and protect their precious property. Both players chose a ball from the table then placed it behind the second diamond before shooting simultaneously to see whose ball would come closer to the short rail and determine who got to break first. It was no surprise that the captain's came the closest. The lieutenant wasn't worried and took a seat on a nearby stool. Archer packed the balls into the triangle then moved them into position before placing the white ball on the other end and lining up his cue stick.

"The number two in the left corner pocket." he predicted, then with a loud 'crack' the balls became scattered around the table with the solid blue one rolling into its appointed pocket. Archer looked over at Danaƫ, a mischievous glint in his green eyes as he winked. "A good pool player can think at least five moves ahead."

"A grandmaster in chess should be able to see anywhere from fifteen to twenty. A good general or captain should have the same ability. I'd have been disappointed if you couldn't," she smiled. "The last person I played with was Major Forrest and he was doing good to keep up with me." Hearing that name, Archer's smile quickly faded.

"Five ball in the bottom right pocket." he said as he pointed to the hole next to his right elbow. He then lined up his stick and sent the cue ball to the other side of the table where it bounced off the bumper and into the five sending it straight into the appropriate pocket. "He barely kept up with you? If he can't do better than that, then he won't get much higher in rank, unless they promote him because of who his daddy was. If he's going to play that card, then he might as well have stayed where he was and not transferred to the MACOs."

"I can't believe you would say that after he led the ground force and rescued what was left of the colonies. He even got shot in the leg for his efforts. True it was a minor injury, but still, and after taking a beating from God only knows where." With the mention of the 'beating' Archer glanced up at her. His own face and body still showed the marks of that altercation, although the battle had made him forget about it until now. It was a strange thing to feel a mixture of both annoyance at a man's presence as well as humbled and grateful over what he had done. "I would have thought you would be pleased to have a man of his abilities."

"Of course I am." Archer responded, his words taking on a sharp edge. He would be even more grateful to the major if all the praise for his rival's efforts weren't coming from Lt. D'Arcy. He stood for a moment, leaning on his cue stick while simultaneously surveying both the table and the lieutenant. He wasn't the only one making observations either. Watching the way he seemed to favor his right side and seeing the busted skin on his knuckles, cut lip and bruises to his face, Danaƫ still wondered what had happened. She also found it odd that his injuries appeared about the same time as Nathan's. The fact that the mere mention of the major's name seemed to annoy him was also telling, despite his attempts at hiding it. "What surprises me is that you are bestowing so many accolades on the man. Weren't you the one who once called him a pissant and a natural born prick?"

"After life kicked his ass a few times he started to grow on me."

"So it would seem." his voice was almost a growl as he moved to the other side of the table and lined up his shot. "Six ball, side pocket." His deep green eyes could see the necessary angles before him and with just the right amount of chalk on the tip, hitting just the right sweet spot on the white ball, he managed to give it a perfect spin so that it hit the six ball bouncing off the bumper and into the opposite side pocket as planned.

Lt. D'Arcy watched the way Archer played the game looking for weaknesses. So far he was adept at straight shots as well and banking. This was not a surprise. The captain was a skilled tactician when it came to dealing with opponents of every shape and kind. He could maneuver and fight with a skill that was equal to or even rivaled some of the greatest leaders she had ever known. He also knew when to use diplomacy and lead with his heart so that a bridge of understanding could be built and even fortified. What she didn't know was if he was aware she was just as equally talented and perhaps more willing than he to take an underhanded approach if necessary. This was a talent her father had often scolded her for. She would never use such tactics on something as frivolous as a game of pool, but information, now that was a different matter. As he leaned over the table and prepared for his next shot, Danaƫ decided to try and find out the truth.

"You should be careful of Nathan's right hook. He hits as hard as a mule kicks," she baited. Instantly he pulled his stick back and looked at her as though he had been caught.

"I see you've been talking to Major Forrest and he just couldn't help himself and tell you about our sparring match."

"Sparring?"

"It started out that way, yes," he said. "He probably told you that things got out of hand."

"You son of a bitch." she responded, shaking her head and giving a half-hearted laugh. "I haven't actually spoken to him since before the battle during drills. I saw him right before he beamed down with the rest of the ground crew, but we never said anything to each other. "Now it all makes sense. Why I was suddenly invited to dine in the captain's mess with you, T'Pol and Trip. Why Nathan looked at me so strangely before beaming down. Captain Jonathan Archer... Future president of the Federation... Was jealous."

"I was not jealous. Seven ball in the far pocket." Archer punctuated this statement by knocking his next ball exactly where he wanted it, but a tad too much 'english' on the ball caused the cue to follow it into the pocket, much to his irritation.

"Enemies all around, very little help from our allies and you, our fearless leader, turn into a five-year-old," Danaƫ jumped up from her stool and immediately began to line up her shot. "Ten ball side pocket." she glanced up at Archer sternly then sunk the ball. She wanted him to believe she was quite angry and she was... a little. Unfortunately there was no suppressing that twinkle of pleasure at the knowledge that man had started a brawl over her. The idea that he had actually risked his entire career by exposing their relationship to Major Forrest in such a fashion was a gesture she never expected to see. Just the same she wasn't about to give him a pass on such behavior.

"I didn't turn into a five-year-old," he argued.

"Oh? Are you going to point your finger and tell me that he started it?" the lieutenant countered. "Thirteen ball top left pocket."

"I really wasn't planning on saying anything."

"That's okay, I completely understand why you would feel so threatened." she smirked, mischief playing in her hazel eyes as she moved around the table. "Nine ball, side pocket." Her stick slipped effortlessly through her fingers hitting the white ball, bouncing it off the bumper causing it to hit the sweet spot of the nine with a tap sending it over the edge into the awaiting hole. "I mean, Nathan is young, well, at least six or seven years younger than you and my own age. He's strong, good-looking, and no doubt virile..."

"You know, there really is a lot to be said for age and experience," Archer cut-in.

"Oh really, like what? Starting fights?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "You know, it was annoying when my father made a ship's policy that I was off limits, you acting like a stupid git. Are you going to drag me off to your cave by my hair next?"

"Last time I checked you didn't mind if things got a little rough once in a while," he answered, taking a step towards her and returning the smirk.

"You might be captain of this ship but that doesn't mean you can command me," she sniffed. "Fourteen ball, side pocket." Once again her aim was true and the ball slipped into its awaiting hole.

"Did you manage to realign the thrusters like I wanted?" He asked as she walked around the table to take her next shot.

"Of course," she answered.

"Looks like I can." At this she glared at him and then turned her attention back to the table and started to line up her cue stick. Archer moved around the table to where she was standing then before she could lay her stick down or even start to aim, he caught her around the waist and turned her to face him. He placed his hands on either side of the table, his body all but against hers. "If I overstepped then I am sorry. I was wrong, but when I saw you two together... the fact that he gets to spend time with you... openly..." The captain sighed then straightening his spine and shoulders finished his concession. "I know damn well you are not a woman who can be commanded. You are strong, decisive and capable. You were raised to be a leader not a follower, but now and then..." He leaned in, his face inches from hers. "Now and then you enjoy someone else taking the lead and removing that burden from you. Do you know why I know that? It's because I am the same way." He softly cupped her face in his hands, his fingers gently caressing the soft skin on her cheeks. "And now I am going to kiss you."

"Is that an order, captain?"

"That's an order, lieutenant." so saying he leaned forward and just barely brushed her lips with his when a voice over the comm system interrupted.

"Captain Archer to the bridge," it announced.

"How do they know?" Archer asked, annoyed at the interruption. Even so, he went over to the door and pressed the button on the speaker as Danaƫ tried to stifle her laughter. "I'm on my way."

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers