Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 04 - Family Ch. 06

Story Info
Mistakes of the Father.
2.4k words
4.86
769
2

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/16/2023
Created 09/19/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

Picard explained to Danaë about Q's appearance and how they had stepped off a lift to find themselves here. While Archer had no idea what a 'Q' was, he had been transported in like fashion more than a few times by Daniels. The two men were released with the explanation that they were visiting family that had simply gotten beamed into the wrong place at the wrong time. This still raised eyebrows, but for now the matter was dismissed.

Realizing that neither of these men had had a decent meal for a while, Archer suggested they all go to lunch. It would give Dani a chance to catch up with her father and Riker and give him an opportunity to get to know these men. Perhaps even straighten out what he hoped was a misunderstanding over what Picard had said shortly before being released. Before they made it off of Starfleet campus Archer was already being called back for a meeting with Admiral Gardner. Danaë tried to smile and hide her disappointment, but it was obvious all the same. The look stung Picard not just because it was his daughter, but he had been the cause of such looks many times himself.

"I'm sorry, Gardner is calling me back. I'm sure the three of you will be able to make it without me" Archer sighed. "I promise I will be home early this evening." He apologized again to his guests for running off but was confident that Dani would take care of them and they would take care of her.

The three did go to lunch at one of Archer's favorite restaurants, Nichelle's. It had amazing food and soulful jazz music. Danaë listened as both men regaled her with their many adventures, both good and bad, over the last fifteen years since she had run away. She asked about Deanna and Rikers children, of which Will had an endless supply of amusing stories. She asked her father how Beverly was since their divorce. For a moment the old man was quiet then explained that whatever news she had heard had been nothing more than rumor. Once they had talked about it and even thought they would go through with it, but ultimately it never came to be and she disappeared.

After eating their fill, Riker retired to a hotel room believing that Father and daughter needed time alone. Well, alone except for the baby that had been taken from his pram and was snug in the wrap against his mother. Together the two walked along the boardwalk catching up as Picard asked questions about all she had done since parting that fateful day so many years ago. Danaë told him about her life on board the NX-01, but was careful to leave out the dark and unpleasant details. She had no wish to worry him or to let him think she had in any way suffered. Sitting down on a bench and looking out over the ocean, the two became silent, content to simply be in each other's company after such a long absence.

After only a few moments, the lieutenant adjusted her shirt so she could feed her hungry baby then turned her eyes back to sparkling water before her. Picard smiled at his grandson then turned his attention to the waves that rolled in and out, contemplating this strange chain of events that he could not have imagined a mere month ago. If someone would have asked him about his daughter's future he would have answered that there was none. She was untethered and had as much direction as a wisp of smoke. A lieutenant commander? Serve on the iconic NX-01? Married to the Jonathan Archer? No he could never have imagined that. He still couldn't imagine that such a famous man was his son-in-law.

The truth was that the only things he knew about Jonathan Archer were those things taught in the history books accompanied by one of the many stoic, stern images that conveyed nothing but a static professional demeanor. The recorded history of this first captain was also problematic, at least to Picard. From what he had studied, this man lived and breathed Starfleet and it always came first. Why wouldn't he think that? There was little to no mention of any personal life, but instead an exemplary career with a long, long list of accomplishments. Now that Danaë was married to him, he saw it only as neglectful. Seeing the look of disappointment on her face reminded him of his own many troubled relationships. He had seen that same look on Solenne many times before she finally had enough of his cancellations and left. The same cycle would happen again only this time it was Danaë stuck on Earth, a 'starfleet widow' and Archer exploring and paving the way for the future. Of course, their marriage was none of his business, but this was his only child and the instinct to protect her and help her was one that never went away.

"Child," he said, carefully broaching the subject before ultimately jumping headlong into it. "What are you doing? I remember a girl who hated the very name of Jonathan Archer and would roll her eyes at the very mention of it. That you have actually taken the name for your own... is not what I would have ever expected." At the recollection, Danaë couldn't help smiling. Yes, she had rolled her eyes on many occasions and each time she found herself confined to her quarters. In her case that was a cubby of a room that just barely fit her bed and a tall narrow dresser for her things. Softly her hands moved over her baby as he suckled. Picard noticed this and for a moment wondered if this was not a factor in her decision as well. "Perhaps you were just doing what you felt you had to." At this suggestion, the smile fell from his daughter's mouth and she looked at him with slight annoyance. "I realize that Jonathan Archer is now, and will remain a famous name throughout history with many titles and a very powerful position, we both know that. As his wife you will have every material need met and more, but will you be happy?"

"So, besides your belief that I am desperate and desirous of an easy comfortable life, do you have any other objections?"

"That is not what I meant, Danaë. Archer is a proud man, but he is not made of flesh and bone, but dilithium, antimatter and nacelles. It defines him and will always come first whether it is his intent or not. I know this because I was once the same way and it destroyed my relationship with your mother, among others."

"Ma-ma?"This was news to Danaë. She had known that after an intense two year relationship her mother and father had parted ways. She had never known the reasons, only that shortly after her mother discovered she was pregnant and attempted to reconcile but it was not to be.

"Yes. When I was given command of the Enterprise-D it was still under construction. I had intended to marry your mother and bring her with me, but the work quickly consumed me and I neglected her. The fact is I neglected that entire aspect of my life. I don't know whether you have considered this possibility or not, but if you have and love him enough to endure it then I can have no objection to your marriage."

"I love him pa-pa. He is not made up of dilithium, antimatter or nacelles. He is compassionate, Leads with his heart and is one of the finest men I have ever known. He will give of himself before anyone else. The history books have never captured the real Jonathan Archer. He is far more than Starfleet or even the Federation. Even when we are light years apart he still makes himself present in my world and I in his." Hearing this Picard's concerns were erased and he leaned forward and gently brushed her cheek then smiled,

"Then he deserves you. You are my only child. I could not have parted with you to anyone less worthy."

"You are correct about one thing though, pa-pa. I did not really consider what it meant to be Jon's wife or how difficult it would be." She could live with the missions and the absences, but public life was difficult. For her it was far easier to bury herself in work or be alone with Jonathan.

"As a starship captain, his first duty is to his ship, his crew and to the mission to which he is assigned. It will take him to parts of space he never imagined, but it also means he has to be gone for long periods of time. No doubt the long lonely days are difficult." The old man nodded slightly believing he understood just where the difficulty lay.

"Being left alone? Oh no, that's hardly an issue. I grew up used to that." she responded. Danaë was hardly making an accusation, more of a point of fact, but it stung in Picard's ears. Perhaps it was because age, time and separation from her had opened his eyes to what he believed to be his failures as a father. Hearing her say that only reinforced it.

"I was always there for you." he responded defensively. "I always made sure we shared breakfast together so we could talk and I could know what was going on and what your interests were, if you needed help or where you were excelling."

"No you didn't, you had breakfast with Dr. Crusher, I just happened to be there. I tried quite often to join the conversation, but neither of you ever listened." for a moment, Picard stared at her rather dumbfounded. Why didn't he remember it that way? The more he thought and tried to picture it the more he realized she was right. "My birthdays were always postponed and dinners were late. I think you tried, but you were always on the bridge and or off on some mission leaving me in someone else's care." She was thinking of when he went off on a secret mission deep in Credassian space or worse, when she had been told he was dead only to discover him among a group of archeological thieves. "I didn't know where you were or if you were ever coming back. I even recall an occasion when I was told you were dead. At least when Jon is gone he sends me messages every morning and every night before bed."

Picard looked out at the water for a moment, unable to look his child in the face. When he had gone on those missions he had seen it as his duty. He always knew she was safe and that she would be well taken care of should the worst happen so he never worried about her. He was always confident he would come back to her so he never considered what it would do to a child who had already lost a parent.

Perhaps it was the sun in her eyes or the result of the small spat, but the dull headache she had been fighting earlier had returned and she could tell it was only just beginning. She didn't tell him why, only that she was feeling a bit under the weather and needed to go home to rest. Something in her eyes told the old man that this was not exactly the truth, but didn't press her. He couldn't help thinking it was this discussion and his failures as a father making her want a break from him. He didn't want to ask, but simply nodded in then promised he would come and have breakfast in the morning

By the time the Lieutenant commander got home, the dull headache was progressing to a much sharper one. She managed to put the baby down in his bassinet next to the bed then laid down herself after turning on the black out shades and bathing the bedroom in darkness. It was this that Archer returned home to when he finally arrived (only thirty minutes late). Walking in the front door nothing seemed that unusual, just very still and quiet. He assumed that Danaë was still out with her father and his friend, but then he saw the baby carriage and knew that wasn't the case. Going up stairs he went straight for their bedroom and started to reach for the light switch only to stop as he heard Dani beg him not to touch it. He didn't ask what was wrong, he could already tell. Walking over to the bed he sat down beside her then slowly and gently helped her to sit up. His hands lifted the back of her shirt then with the tips of his fingers applied a small amount of pressure to very specific points that sent immediate relief to her head.

Neuropressure was a technique used by the Vulcans and something Archer never actually learned. While crossing The Forge with T'Pol the Katra of Surak was placed in his mind for safekeeping and even after it was removed there was knowledge that remained. This skill was one of them. To the Vulcans the techniques used were also considered rather intimate and Danaë not only respected their belief on the matter but agreed. Archer was the only one she would allow to give her such a treatment.

Feeling better she turned on a lamp next to the bed and then looked up into Archer's face. He looked tired and he felt even more weary than he looked. He also had news to tell her, but he knew she wouldn't like it and didn't want to tell her just yet. Perhaps in the morning after a good night's sleep. After returning home from the Xindi conflict he had been thrust into public life with all the diplomatic dinners and appearances that went with it. Trauma from the same conflict had left Dani with social anxiety and each event was a struggle for her. Knowing this only made him contemplate the words Picard had said earlier even harder. Maybe returning to her own time would be better for her.

"Dani..." he paused, almost afraid of what her answer would be. "If you had the opportunity to go back to your own time... would you?" Danaë looked at him, puzzled that he would even ask such a question.

"What, and give up this glamorous existence?" she laughed.

"Come on now, I'm being serious."

"Twice I have followed you into hell and I would do it again if you asked." She put her arms around his neck and held him. "I don't want to be anywhere but here at the beginning of it all with you."

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers