Star Trek Enterprise - Fate Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"When we had returned to my dorm he upbraided me on my conduct. He told me that he had noticed a change in my attitudes over the last few years but had hoped that my time in the academy would have changed it. He expressed his disappointment in me and then began to tell me what it means to be a Starfleet officer. It's no exaggeration to say that my ears felt as though they were bleeding. What he didn't know was that I had long ago learned about his assimilation into the Borg collective. I knew everything. They had stripped him of his identity and all that he was. They used him and had controlled his every action. I knew he still carried pieces of cybernetic technology inside his body, but I really had no concept of just how deep the emotional and mental scars went. All I cared about was avenging the wrongs that I believed he had done. I interrupted his lecture on scientific, historical and personal truths to know if it was also the first duty of a Starfleet officer to single-handedly destroy 39 federation ships and caused the death or assimilation of thousands." Gently she brushed her cheek, remembering the sting of her father's hand against it. "One thing Jean-Luc Picard is not is a violent man. He would never hurt me, but even the best of men can be pushed too far. I went too far." She remembered her surprise as his hand struck her across the cheek as well as the sudden look of shock and dismay on his own face. "In that instant I realized how wrong I was. He had every right to seek out a relationship with whomever he wished and I had absolutely no right to try and rob him of it. Not another word was spoken between us. I think he was disappointed with himself for his instant and unintended reaction and I was too ashamed of myself to face him. I left the academy that night. I thought it would be better if I just went my own way."

She waited, somehow expecting Archer to reprimand her for her behavior, but he didn't. It was hardly his place to do so and besides that, he could see that she had been punishing herself over the years. He gently pulled her to him and hugged her. If there was anything she needed it was to forgive herself. She had walked away from the academy and everything else in her life not out of anger, but out of embarrassment for what she had done. After several minutes she pulled away from Archer and walked to the couch, careful to keep her face turned away so he wouldn't see her wipe away any stray tears.

"I started traveling by foot from one end of the earth to the other. I worked odd jobs, but I always kept moving. Daily survival kept the pain away, but most importantly I wanted no one to find me. I just wanted to be forgotten. After a while I thought I was until out of the blue there was my Aunt Lotte with a message from my father asking me to come home. My father wanted me... ME!" She stood there for a moment then kicked the couch as hard as she could. "Damn Suliban."

"They're hardly worth breaking your foot over."

"It'll heal." She said as she sat down. She looked up at Archer's kind face and couldn't help wondering what he must think of her. "Are you always this generous with guests on your ship?" She asked as she sat down.

"We've tried to be, but so far nothing has been as I expected it."

"Things seldom are." She commented, glad to change the subject. "What have the problems been?"

"I've got the Vulcan Ambassador, Soval, looking for any excuse he can to shut us down. We've pissed off almost every species we've come in contact with, particularly the Kreetassans and the Klingons. I'm not sure which one is easier to offend." He explained. "The Andorians on one hand, seem trustworthy, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to keep one eye on them at all times. I had to order the installation of phase cannons because of how bad things were getting. Every time I think I heard the last of the Suliban or Agent Daniels, we're dragged back into the middle of it again." He sat down next to her, his frustration obvious on his face.

"You sound like you could use a shore leave." She suggested.

"We had one. My helmsmen, Mayweather, got injured rock climbing, my Chief Engineer and Security Chief got tied up and robbed. I managed to meet an attractive woman, only to find out she was only interested in my knowledge of the Suliban. Hoshi seems to be the only one who had a good time."

"Where on earth did you go for this rest?" After his description she was imagining a place like the Klingon home world Qo'noS.

"Risa. The sub-commander said it was a pleasure planet that would meet all of our requirements."

"It usually does. Everything about the planet is designed for the pleasure of its guests. For those who seek adventure there are caves, diving and rock climbing. For those seeking beauty and quiet solitude there are views, tropical beaches, peaceful mountains. Of course, for visitors seeking... other pleasures, well, that is Risa's absolute specialty. I would recommend you stay away from the night clubs and tourist traps. Those tend to be a favorite hiding place for the criminal element. Sounds like at least two of your crewmen found that out." She smirked trying to picture Trip and Malcom being tied up and stripped of anything of value.

"I take it you've been there."

"No, but my father has been there, for relaxation, reading and archeology only, at least that's what I tell myself. I know a lot of his crewmen have been there to take in the... um... culture." She explained, blushing slightly. "One can overhear a lot of stories when you're helping in the ships lounge. Honestly though, if your crewmen were seeking companionship they would have been better off displaying a horga'hn statue rather than hanging around the night clubs."

"Horga'hn statue?"

"You were on Risa and don't know what a horga'hn statue is? I knew what one was by the time I was nine. Wow, this really is the beginning of exploration." She said with a laugh. "It's a statue about so high," she held up her hands to show the size. "It has a big head and is reminiscent of ancient African or Polynesian carvings on earth. On Risa it symbolizes fertility. If you get one and display it publicly then you are signaling your desire for jamaharon, a... um... a sexual rite." Again she blushed.

"I thought you had never been there." He asked surprised at her embarrassment.

"I haven't, I learned about the Horga'hn statue the same way I learned about Risa, in the lounge. I remember Commander Riker telling someone about it. Apparently jamaharon is an incredible sexual experience at least that's how he and others have described it." The pink in her cheeks still showed as she brushed some curls from in front of her face. "Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried. You can't expect to discover the entire universe in one year."

"True, but I had hoped to discover a few things, maybe make a few alliances."

"Those will come. You may have to continue to fight the Vulcans to prove your readiness, but it will happen. Apparently I'll be here to see it." She sighed and accidently bumped the side table knocking her PADD on to the floor. The jar caused it to turn on and a picture appeared of a bird with brilliant blue and green plumage and two tails. It looked like a delicate creature and reminded Captain Archer of earth's hummingbird.

"What is that?" He asked as she picked it up.

"Kolibri, it's a bird native to the planet Ba'ku. The closest thing to it on earth would be a humming bird but this species has two tails. I saw one and took the picture. Pretty as this bird may be, it is not the most interesting creature I've ever seen. The most remarkable species I can recall seeing was called the Corvan Gilvo. It's a creature that looks like a stick or tree branch. They make their homes in the trees of the Corvan II rainforests. At the time that I saw one there were only about 14 specimens remaining. Industrial pollutants destroyed their habitat. From what I know they are generally docile creatures."

"That is the kind of exploration that I had envisioned when we came out here." Some of the old excitement and optimism he had possessed when they first began came back into his face as she spoke.

"The first thing I ever remember seeing that set my imagination on fire happened a few days after joining my father. The ship was being shook all around and I looked out the windows in our quarters and saw a 'white hole'." Her face and gestures became quite animated as she described the phenomenon. "There is nothing to compare with seeing one. A brilliant white light in the midst of all the darkness and surrounding that light is a myriad of colors creating a strange and wonderful rainbow. From the nothing in the center of the light comes matter of all shapes and sizes being hurled into space at incredible speed. It's amazing how something so terrifyingly dangerous can be so incredibly beautiful." Her hair had fallen into her eyes again as she spoke. Captain Archer marveled at her description of a "white hole". This was the sort of thing he had hoped to witness himself. "Our shields held and we managed to get safely away. I was so terrified when the ship was being hit by the matter, I think I cowered under my father's desk, but during those first few moments I was in awe."

Without thinking she took his hand and led him to the window and pointed to the stars as they went by. How amazing it all looked and her hazel eyes were wide and alight with wonder. To these two the universe held unlimited possibilities. All one had to do was be willing to take a chance.

"Captain, my father once told me that I had his vision... that I looked up at the stars and dreamed of what might be. Just look out there. Each star holds a million promises. There are untold star systems waiting out there, new species to meet, nebulas, black holes... white holes." He listened to her talk, glad to find someone who shared his vision and desire to explore. "All the fighting that you've had to endure to stay out here will be worth it in the end. They're just storms you must sail your ship through to get there."

"My father told me never to be afraid of the wind." He returned. "I suppose that includes gales too."

"Wise man." She laughed as Archer swept the curls from in front of her eyes, his fingertips lightly brushed her cheek. The air between them became heated and they were both quite aware of how close they were to each other. Danaë suddenly realized she was still holding his hand in hers. The two stood there in this charged silence for several minutes as they realized the feeling of friendship between them was becoming something much more palpable.

"I should probably let you get back to sleep." The captain said, breaking the tension between them.

"Yes." She agreed. "You probably need your sleep too." She added as she walked him to the door. "By the way, thank you."

"For?"

"Listening." She told him.

"It's okay." He replied then swiftly went through the door.

As the lift door closed Archer reminded himself that in a matter of days she would no longer be on the ship. There was little point in allowing anything more than a professional friendship to be between them. Starfleet regulations were very clear on the conduct of a captain, particularly the rules regarding relationships. It would be highly inappropriate for him to have a liaison with anyone subordinate to him. There were no such limitations with civilians, but somehow even a flirtation on his part with a guest on board his ship could prove problematic and create a possible distraction. For her part, Danaë would tell herself that she was being a fool and probably just star struck or simply lonely. She reminded herself that he was President Archer and there was no way that a man like him would consider a Starfleet drop out.

12