Starlight Gleaming Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Before you go making snap judgments," I said quietly, "you need to do a full work up on her. Full physical. As one of her officers, I insist on it."

"You're her commanding officer?" the doctor asked me.

"No," Janetta replied, "He's not. I am. Sergeant Cholan is the E--man on my Flight Crew. She's his woman. I'm her officer. I'm asking for a full physical, Doctor."

Then I blinked. "While you're here, you should get checked out, too, Lieutenant. You hit the ground hard this morning. Your Captain's orders."

Janetta rolled her eyes. "Thanks for the reminder, Kandikan. So, yeah, I guess I need to get checked out, too."

Dr. Brensoyet went over to the computer, and began typing rapidly.

Janetta whispered in Nahuatl, "Stim tabs, Ranji? What the fuck!"

"She's tired all the time. It's a struggle for her to do her job. I think she's got a bad thyroid. But most doctors are a hardheaded lot and won't see, or admit to the obvious, unless it's their discovery, or it jumps up and down, and kicks them in the shins. If I tell them what I think it is, they'll say I'm not a doctor, and quit looking."

"She's really sick?"

"It's not her fault, I'm sure of it. This should have been found, and treated, when she first entered the Air Service."

The captain suddenly quit typing, then cleared his throat. "Well, I'll be," he said quietly. He spun around in his seat. "Apparently she has a thyroid condition. It was marked as treated, but there's no accompanying certificate, or physician's report. We'll follow up here, of course. And, just to be thorough, we'll also continue with the full physical. We're hardheaded that way, here in the Naval Service. We like to be thorough."

To her credit, Janetta dead-panned, "Thank you, Doctor. It's appreciated."

Nahuatl wasn't a commonly spoken language outside the states of Nahua and Huestica. I learned it because of Janetta. Just our luck that the doctor spoke it as well.

Sergeant Melo spoke up. "Dr. Brensoyet, you said the medical file notes treatment, but no accompanying information. Indicating possible falsification of medical records." He pulled out a tablet from his side pocket. Glancing at the terminal number on the monitor, he tapped on his tablet. "Sending inquiry now. Please write your comments along with a copy of the file. Imperial Security likes to be thorough, too."

The doctor nodded and typed for several minutes. When he stopped, the sergeant paused, then said, "Thank you."

"Lieutenant Tlacotli, lean forward," the doctor told Janetta.

Puzzled, she complied.

Pulling out a penlight, he shined it in her eyes, flicking the light away. "Did you really hit the ground hard? Because you don't act like someone in pain."

"I'm not. I landed my craft down in one piece. It was sabotaged. I walked away fine, but my aircraft is out of commission. This whole thing may be moot. But my orders were to get checked out, so do what you gotta do."

Dr. Brensoyet pulled out a pad, and made a scribble, then tore it off, and handed it to Janetta.

She was out of her seat in a heartbeat, knocking over her chair, and snarling. "Grounded? What kind of fucking shit is this, Doctor?"

He was already writing on another sheet, as he consulted the computer screen. He tore that sheet off and handed it to her.

"What's this?" Janetta demanded.

"Be here on that date and time for a full, comprehensive physical. Should take about three days for all the tests. Until you get a clean bill of health, you are grounded." Dr. Brensoyet checked another screen. "I see a Zinja Ba'lanchicotl listed as the Corporal's mother. Sergeant Zinja, is that you?"

"Yes, sir," she said quietly.

"Very good. We'll go upstairs now. First, I'll let you look in on the surgery going on with Sergeant Cholan, then we'll visit Corporal Ixma, although I expect her to be fully sedated. As blood relative or spouse, the sergeant qualifies for the former and can stay here overnight, but after the visit -- a brief one, mind you -- I'm kicking you two officers out. You can come back later during visiting hours."

The doctor led the way, while Janetta and I followed. Janetta was quiet, but I could see she was fuming, too.

Zinja latched on to my hand for consolation, but she was gentle with it. The doctor said Ixma was fine, but until she saw it with her own eyes, she didn't believe it.

Outside the operating theater, we couldn't see much. The doctor began discussing the treatment, stating that Cholan would need weeks to heal, and months of therapy and drugs.

I shook my head. "What about Nano-treatments? They will cut the healing down to a tenth of the time, and it will repair all the internal damage."

"She's enlisted. She has no extra funds and her records don't show family resources to cover the costs. The process I outlined will return her to health and functionality sufficient to satisfy her duty requirements. This is what the military will pay for."

"How much for the Nano?"

"It's a rough estimate, but three thousand credits initially, then once a week for twelve months, at a thousand per month."

Janetta was shocked. "Fifteen? Fifteen thousand credits? That's a four bedroom house, with a vehicle, free and clear!"

I shook my head firmly. "No, it's Cholan, back with us like she is supposed to be, helping to keep your aircraft safe and functioning. Pain for a year while her ribs heal? Taking drugs for the rest of her life, to stave off another stroke? She's twenty-three, just two years older than we are. Who's your family, Lieutenant?"

"You, Zinja, Ixma, and Cholan." By the look on her face, I knew she could tell where this was going.

"Exactly! And you are my family, so that makes them mine, too. Family sticks together. Doesn't matter if it's you, Zinja, Ixma, or Cholan. I take care of my family." I turned to the doctor. "Get the forms for me to sign, and order the treatments. I'm paying."

"You have proof you can pay?"

I pulled out my charge card. Seeing the silver sheen, he nodded. I didn't blame him for asking. Authorizing a service, when the funds weren't available, could leave him hanging for some of the costs, not to mention the potential damage it would have to his medical career.

Okay," Dr. Brensoyet replied quietly. "Wait here. Your decision may affect what they are doing to her right now." And he stepped inside the operating room.

While the doctor was away, Janetta leaned in close, whispering, "I love you, Ranji Kandikan." I took her hand and kissed it. Zinja still had my other one.

Dr. Brensoyet rejoined us, and Janetta discreetly retrieved her hand. "I'll start the process tonight," the doctor told us. "Lieutenant Kandikan, on your way out, give your card information to Reception, and sign the payment authorization forms. Once that's done, treatment will begin. Now, let's go check on the other member of your family, shall we?"

When we arrived at Ixma's room, she was sound asleep, in hospital garb, her face and neck, hands and arms, a bright pink. Zinja hurried to her side, tears of relief spilling freely. Between soft kisses, caresses, and telling Ixma she loved her, without words, Janetta and I settled on a brief hug to Zinja, and a touch to the sleeping woman.

Standing nearby was another member of Imperial Security. The three agents conferred quietly while we visited.

"How long will she be here?" I asked Dr. Brensoyet.

He shrugged. "Depends on Imperial Security, really. Physically, she can go home tomorrow. If she has nightmares or such, well, psych services can be arranged. When we know, we'll let Lieutenant Tlacotli know. If you and Imperial Security are satisfied, I really need to attend to my own patients."

"Fine," I told him. The agents nodded their satisfaction, and the doctor walked off.

Melo came over to me, followed by Diwan. "Lieutenant? Whenever you are ready, I will accompany you. Diwan, here, is assigned to stay with Lieutenant Tlacotli."

Janetta raised her eyebrows. "I need a babysitter?"

Sergeant Diwan frowned. "Our orders, sir. There's already been an attempt on the lives of two of your crew. Go about your normal business. I am your shadow, not your nursemaid, nor your babysitter."

Janetta closed her eyes briefly. "Let's go downstairs, Ranji. I want to get that damned paperwork done." Then she narrowed her eyes. "Ranji, we were picked up and dropped off here. Did you drive my HueCac here?"

"No, I rode in the ambulance with Ixma."

"And your vehicle is ...?"

I sighed. "Who knows? Last I saw it needs major repair. The door and side panels are warped, and the driver's window blown out. May or may not be totaled."

"It's a rad to the gate, and another five to the hangar. And I'm getting hungry."

I laughed. "There's twelve meals waiting for us at the Commissary Diner. Let's go there. It's not as far, and we can pick up your vehicle, and drive to the hangar from there. After we eat, I need to go back to the Cafeteria, and finish sorting out all the people seeking my protection. When you are done, and on your way home, give me a call. Otherwise, I will worry about you."

"My phone isn't working. Remember?"

"Check it," I replied.

She did, and then put it away. "I still hate that skanky bitch," she muttered.

Downstairs, I gave my financial and contact info to Reception. Janetta made sure that she would be called when Cholan came out of surgery, and informed of her nightly progress.

Sergeant Melo surprised us, by having a vehicle pick us up, and take us to the Commissary.

As we rode, I reached into the satchel, and pulled out the Wampag, and one of the boxes of ammunition. I refilled the pistol clip, and handed it to Janetta.

"Take it. The flechettes are effective against the draconian body shields. Or so we hope. Two of them injured Cholan, and Ixma. One is still on the loose."

She put the pistol into her belt. "No weapon for you?"

"I still have my Chon. Besides, I'm going to be in public at the Cafeteria."

The Commissary had some vehicles parked out front, but there was no sign of my battered ChoCac.

Janetta and I went inside, and ate a hot meal together, which was quiet, and nice. Both of us would have preferred having her flight crew with us, but at least everyone was alive, and going to get better. We picked up the food Janetta had ordered that morning -- it seemed a lifetime ago -- and we headed over to the Cafeteria.

Outside the Cafeteria, we found Janetta's vehicle. We loaded the food into the back. She'd leave some of it at the hangar, in the new fridge, and take the rest home, for us to eat later.

Before I let her go, I drew her in for a long kiss. She was still a bit nervous about public displays, but quickly gave herself over to the task. As she looked up at me, her big black eyes full of interest, she grinned. "Ranji, I think you are happy to see me. No, wait, that's a gun in my belt."

"Wait till I get home tonight, Lieutenant," I promised. "Someone expressed a desire to be hauled into the bedroom and pounded until she saw stars."

"Mmm. Can't wait," she sighed. Then she climbed into her vehicle. Sergeant Diwan slid into the passenger seat. Janetta backed out of the parking space. "Which one are you again?" she asked the sergeant.

"Diwan, sir." By the time he got those words yelled out, she hit the accelerator mid-turn, and zoomed away, burning rubber. At least one tire left the pavement. She does love to speed.

I headed inside, Sergeant Melo behind me. Returning with a member of Imperial Security in tow was likely to cause nervousness, if not outright panic. Worrying about it wasn't going to make it go away, though. I'd deal with it as needed. With a deep breath, I opened the door and entered the Cafeteria.

Once inside, I noticed the group was considerably smaller. Sergeant Doyya was the only woman among the men waiting for my return. I went to her first. "Where are the other women?"

She saluted. "Lieutenant. The rest of the women have gone home. Commander Orchid took us away, and talked to us, explained our options. I'm signed up to go next week into Capisco."

"Are you coming back?"

She nodded. "I've got eight years in. I have no clue who the father is, nor do I care. When I'm ready to leave, I'll have a pension, a guild certification, and money to live on, so I can provide for my kids, when I'm ready to have them."

"How did the rescue mission go?"

Doyya looked sad. "With Chita's help, we found their quarters. We broke in and found them right away. They were in the tub together, bleeding out. The senior lieutenant, she was alive when we got there. We explained that you sent us to help them, to help stop them from killing themselves. She saw her sister was dead and asked us to let her die in peace. They did everything together, she told us, and she couldn't bear to let her twin die alone. It was plain as day she loved her. Despite your orders, we couldn't go against her wishes, Lieutenant. After they were both dead, we took them out, and dried them off. Put them into their dress uniforms, before we called Security. It didn't seem right that dead women officers should be taken to the morgue naked, without any dignity. Sergeant Chita told us they were stand-up lawyers. You put me in charge, sir, so I take full responsibility for disobeying your direct orders."

I sighed. "Sergeant, I don't appreciate having my orders disobeyed. However, you were there, so I will accept your assessment of a Warrior's last wishes. And if you get any grief for your actions, tell them to come see me. You and the others acted honorably. Air Service, Sergeant!"

Doyya snapped to attention, giving me a perfect salute. "Air Service, sir!"

"You waited here to give me your news. I appreciate that, Sergeant. Respect, loyalty, diligence. Fine work."

Relaxing a bit, she looked at me. "Lieutenant, we're all grateful for the Emperor's leniency. It was .. unexpected. What about you? You went to check on your family? Are they safe?"

"They were both hurt, but thankfully they are alive. Hopefully, one will be out tomorrow. The other was still in surgery when I left. That's what took me so long to get back."

The sergeant shook her head. "That's a shame, sir. You should be there with them, sir. If you think you might need help to speed things up, I'm volunteering."

I looked at Doyya. She had strong features that on a man would be considered masculine, but they were softened by feminine curves, and a narrower bone structure. Her hair was cut short, but the edges were feathered, and helped transition her from handsome to pretty. She was five or six inches shorter than me, and leanly built like Zinja. She could just be offering to help, because she was that way.

She must have seen the hesitation in my face. "Private Sosha told us you already have a couple of women, and that you refused her offer. I'm not looking for protection, or a lover, sir. You stood up for us today. If I can help you get back to your family in the hospital, it's the least I can do."

"Okay, Sergeant. This is Sergeant Melo, who obviously works with Imperial Security. Let's get to work."

Shortly after I resumed talking with the men, Doyya brought me a large cup of cahault, and a hot sandwich. I'd eaten recently, but she didn't know that. And a few hours later, it went down just fine. Doyya sat nearby, and whenever my cup emptied, she got me another one. Most of the men were just looking for some kind of assurance. Apparently I had been the only officer from our entire floor to show up this morning.

It was nearly three hours later, and there were only six men left. These were full-blown confessions of theft, and necessarily took much longer to process. I was wrapping up with the current man, with two yet to go, when I noticed four Imperial Security, in summer dress, walking directly toward me. The leader was a lieutenant, accompanied by a sergeant carrying a laptop. Both wore pistols. With them were two privates, armed with Tlokan heavy assault rifles and short swords.

The officer stopped next to me, the others waiting behind him. "Sergeant Melo. Sublieutenant Kandikan? I'm here to finish taking confessions from the men seeking your Intercession. Your presence is needed elsewhere."

I stood up. "That's the point, though, isn't it, sir? Am I being ordered elsewhere?"

"The fact that you are taking confessions is on record. Everything these men tell me will be as if you heard them. My statement to that fact is part of that man's record. You are not being ordered to leave, but I was told you would want to be with Lieutenant Tlacotli--"

No!

"Janetta? What's happened to her!" I grabbed his arm, and nearly gave him a hard shake, to get the information out of him faster.

"Sublieutenant, please remove your hand. Tlacotli is injured, but refuses to be treated, insisting that she has paperwork to finish. Her commanding officer is off base with his wife, and not immediately available. It was felt that you would be able to convince her to see reason. Please secure your laptop."

I released him. "I am sorry, Lieutenant, for disrespecting your rank."

"We understand she is your lover. The heat of emotion. No harm done. Sergeant Melo, please escort Sublieutenant Kandikan to Hangar Thirty-Six."

Doyya asked me, "What should I do, sir?"

"Go home. Get some rest. I'll see you at the office tomorrow morning." I hurriedly saved the current session and closed files on the laptop. When it was powered down, I put it into my satchel, and followed Sergeant Melo out to his vehicle.

Inside his ChoCac, he asked the AI to display a map, and show our progress. I was anxious to get to Janetta. I had to keep reminding myself that I was told she was alive. The sergeant, thankfully, left me alone to my thoughts.

At the hangar, there were a dozen vehicles, and at least half were security cruisers, with flashing lights on top. Dozens of Imperial Security were present, keeping the flight crews from nearby hangars, from getting too close. Sergeant Melo parked off the road, and we got out. "Follow me, Lieutenant. I'll get you through."

Four Guardsmen in power armor stood at the hangar entrance. Inside was a body covered by a blanket, and I panicked, until I saw Janetta sitting inside the office, hunched over, writing at her desk. On the ground near her office, was a large wet area. Standing in the bay, talking, were three Imperial Security. They turned around when I stepped into the bay with Sergeant Melo. One of them was Commander Orchid.

I started to hurry past them to Janetta, but Orchid, and the others, cut me off. "Kandikan! Wait."

"She's hurt. I need to see her!"

"Get her to see a doctor, Lieutenant," Orchid said, glancing at the office. "We have an ambulance waiting to take you both there."

I looked at Janetta, focused on her paperwork. I caught a glimpse of a bruise forming on her right cheek. I nodded toward the body on the ground. "Is that who hurt her?"

Orchid shook her head. "No," she said quietly. "That's Sergeant Diwan." She looked past me to Sergeant Melo. "Sergeant, we waited until you got here. He was your partner. I thought you should go with him to the morgue."

Looking stunned, Melo walked over, as a stretcher was brought in, and the dead sergeant was moved onto it. He had seemed a decent man, but I was so glad it wasn't Janetta they were carrying out.

"Can I go see Janetta now?"

"A moment. Everything that happened tonight is on lock-down. He hurt her bad, and still she killed the draconian, Kandikan. And he didn't disintegrate. We have his tech. This is huge. I'm going to do my best to shelter you both. And I'll do my best to debrief you sometime tomorrow. Even if it doesn't happen then, I will get in touch with you later. That's all for now."

A thought occurred to me. "Commander. She doesn't like you. Not one bit. It would help if she didn't know you were here."

1...345678