Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You allow that?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I? I want them to be friends if not affectionate with each other. That's much preferable than jealousy and acrimony." I returned to the sink and rinsed it out, then liberally wiped down my own crotch. Then I hung it up on the rack to dry.

Seeing her standing up, I asked, "How do you feel?"

"Nervous," she admitted.

"Why?" I went over and scooped up my underwear and slid it on.

"Janetta and the others have been great. You were right, I had dreaded this part. Instead, I had a wonderful time, and if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to be with you again."

Stepping into my trousers, I pulled them up. "I'd be delighted, Izel."

She watched me put on my shirt, quickly buttoning it. "I must warn you. If you treat me like this all the time, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to fall madly in love with you, Ranji."

"I have no difficulty with that at all. I want to know more about you, Izel, and I look forward to spending more time with you. And I thoroughly enjoyed making love with you." Stuffing my shirttails inside, I tightened the belt.

"Should I be jealous of the others?"

I stopped. "Please, don't."

Izel shrugged. "I didn't think you wanted that, but some people like drama in their lives. That's not my style anyway. My personal lands exceed fourteen hundred square rads. There are five cities, and over thirty villages and towns. My net income each month after expenses is twelve thousand Imperial credits. I have three surviving children by a man I loathed and who are more interested in fighting over their father's inheritance than in maintaining any sort of relationship with me. Indeed, both the sons insisted they have my share as well, and I let them have, feeling I was well rid of my own children. I'm proud of the work I've done for the Empress, but today is the first day that I feel like I have something, or rather someone of my own. That's you, Ranji."

"I've made a lot of promises to you, Izel. I will do my best to keep all of them." Working quickly, I put on my shoes and socks.

"Lord Chiatl will be furious that he wasn't here when we entered the temple."

"He'll live. Do you want to deal with him yourself? He's your man, Izel, and I don't want to undermine your authority with him."

She sighed. "I don't know. He's served me a long time, and I've encouraged him to be friendly and open with me. It's clear that he sees himself as having more rights than he should. Your people are respectful and it's obvious to me they care about your welfare. That's the sort of relationship I was going for, but somehow I've gone amiss where you are succeeding. What do you suggest I do?"

"If he's angry, let him stew. Continue to issue orders as you see fit. He and I need to come to an understanding anyway. Unfortunately, for some men, getting their heads knocked around is the only way to get their attention so they'll finally listen." I buckled on the shoulder harness. Checked to make sure the pistol safety was engaged and reseated it.

"What do you recommend about the cooks?"

"Have you known them for a long time?"

"Yes and no," she answered. "They're from my main estate house, but for the last five or six years, I'm only there one to two months at a time twice a year. Long enough to check estate records and review house accounts with my manager. If I was there more often, there was a chance I'd run into the general, and that was not something I wanted. He was scrupulous, though, about taking me at least once a year. To avoid divorce due to neglect. Those times were extremely unpleasant, and I had trouble sitting down for days afterward. The rest of the time I served the Empress at the capital."

I frowned. "Deliberately spoiling the food is of concern. You are within your rights to execute them or to dispense the lash. However, I'd prefer you didn't do either. If your man-at-arms did intimidate them, that's another minus for him, and that's mitigating circumstances. He's a warrior and they're Guild. Give them a choice to stay in your service or to leave. If they want to leave, I'll arrange transport back to Nahua. If they want to remain in your service, make them renew their oath of loyalty. Tell them, too, your current generosity is due to your getting married, but that future lapses will not be tolerated. I expect you will take your meals with us rather than separately?"

Startled, she said, "I was planning to."

"Calia is our house manager. If the cooks swear to you, put them under her control. Some of my troopers are requesting that she put together some classes on women's health, and it will probably be helpful if she had more help with the cooking. Nariya knows some basic things, but she's not a servant. She's my aide's wife, and she will be busy with her infant son. Salvia still has some days of healing before she's fully fit from her surgery, and both she and Terra are just learning how to cook. Both are hard workers. With the addition of your people to our household, the number of mouths has nearly tripled, so it'll be a bigger task and Calia will have less time to devote to it. Besides, if they aren't sincere in their oaths to you, Calia will out them."

Izel smiled. "Like she seemed to know all about me while never having met me before? You make a very good point. my lord. And an interesting reminder about your Calia. Are all Vedan men as enlightened as you?"

"I'm of Vedan extraction, Izel, but I am a citizen of the Empire. And based on some of the political pieces I've read, I'd say no. What I am I owe to four people. My parents, my Uncle Styen, and Calia. Before Calia came into my life, I was an ignorant and selfish brute in the bedroom." Reaching to the floor, I picked up her shoes and moving to her, squatted down.

She grinned in delight as I put them on her. "I'm curious. You and Janetta believe you could have taken the general. I don't doubt your belief. Yet you have no temple or martial school tattoos. May I ask what training you have?"

"I don't brag about it, but it's not a secret either. I'm rated at level six in Eagle style. I have a third tier master rating in both Snake and Jaguar and first-tier in Eskeirat."

"Eskeirat! That's an Atlantean style, isn't it?" she commented thoughtfully.

"It is," I answered. Retrieving her dress, I helped her into it. Once it was secured, with a look, she gestured at her hair and I grinned. Removing the neckerchief, I used one hand to smooth her hair back, catching all the strays that had escaped during her writhing and wriggling on the bed. Once it was secured again, she grinned at me.

Putting on my service jacket and my bulletproof vest, I then helped her into hers.

"Once things are settled, do you plan to return to Cuzco?"

She looked at me, then away. "I'm not sure. I guess I really haven't thought much past the idea I needed to become your wife. With that and my trouble with my own people and my brother, I don't guess that puts me in a very favorable light, does it? I'd understand if you preferred me to stay away, but now I'm confused. Is that why you brought it up?"

Izel started to head to the door, but I pulled her into my arms and lifted her chin. "I don't recall saying anything of the kind, Izel. It's much easier to protect you if you are here with me. Besides, how can you and I find out if we can be friends if I'm here and you are living on the southern continent?" I caressed her cheek. "You could stay and see if you can stand living with me before you run off to the capital. Give me a chance?"

"I don't believe it. I come to you, my life full of trouble and dumping it all on you, and you want me to give you a chance?"

"Yes."

"And if I say no, we don't have to have sex, right?"

"That's right," I agreed.

"And... if I wanted you to do that with me again?"

"You just ask me. Today and tonight you get full access, but I think after that, you probably need to talk with Janetta. I get away with spontaneous encounters, but much of the time, Janetta lets me know which one I should spend time on that particular evening. However, I think birthdays are assumed."

"Birthdays? But--"

"We celebrate birthdays for everyone in our house, Izel. Men, women, and especially little girls. We are both the same species. Two halves of one whole. One cannot survive without the other. The Protection Order is the first step, and if that's all we accomplish, that will be significant. However, it's long past time when men and women were equals in relationships and under the law."

Izel stiffened, her face frightened. "By the gods! You mean it, don't you."

"Didn't you enjoy being with me?"

"It was the most amazing experience I've ever had. But Ranji! Men will try to kill you!"

"They'll need to get in line. They've been trying since last year. I can't protect my girls from everything, and as much as it kills me when they become women they might be raped. I want so much for them to grow up in a world where they don't have to be afraid simply because they're female."

"You're mad," she said quietly. "But by all the gods, I think it's too late for me." She wiped at her eyes.

"Why the tears?"

"Because, my foolish husband, I'm falling in love with you. I was afraid for my own life and I fought hard to escape my captivity, but now I'm afraid for yours. I just found you and I don't want to lose you!"

"You are?" I grinned. Pleased at her confession, I kissed her, slow and gentle. "Well, doesn't that beat all. Don't focus on the bad things that might happen. If you do, fear will consume you. Instead, be true to yourself and your values and be careful of compromises. Treasure each moment and live each day as if it will be your last. When we work together, all things are possible. It's never too late for love and hope, Izel."

"Llam nuqan!"

"Just so. Now, I think we'd better go, Wife. They're waiting for us."

"Please kiss me again."

We kissed, enjoying the contact of our mouths working together. It wasn't the urgency of arousal, but it was as new as our marriage -- full of hope, passion, and the reassurance we weren't alone.

When I opened the door, one of the acolytes was there waiting. Behind her were two servants in plain blue shirts and trousers and simple sandals. One had a mop and bucket and the other had a pushcart full of cleaning supplies and fresh linens. As we stepped into the hallway, the servants entered the room to clean it while the acolyte led us away.

And we ended up back at the chapel where the rest of our party stood chatting. Priestess Xiao was there, too, as well as another acolyte holding a professional camera.

"We have time for a few photos," the priestess announced with a smile.

So we did. With concern from our bodyguards, Izel and I removed our vests.

At my insistence, Mack and Akama stood with us in the group shots, looking properly serious and dedicated. A few shots of Janetta, Doyya, Zinja, and Chita, proud and regal. A few with Izel and I joined by the others facing the priestess, then turned facing the camera. A few with Izel and me alone facing Xiao, and then just Izel and I together, standing side by side, then facing each other with our hands clasping, and of course, with the two of us kissing.

We were gathering our things and I noticed that Janetta had a troubled look, so I went to her. I took her hand. She started to pull away, her face a riot of emotion, but I wrapped her into my arms.

"What are you doing?" she growled.

"This is harder for you than you imagined, isn't it."

"It is what it is, Kandikan. I'll survive."

"Izel has joined our family. But you are still first in my heart, Janetta." Moving my hands up, I cupped her face. "You are the most beautiful woman in the world. I love you so much."

She glared at me, brushing my hands away. "I want so much to fuck you but I can't because I'm hurting and I'm unclean. And don't say it, I've already heard it. It's how I feel, damn it. I ache for you and I can't have you. And damn it, yes, it hurts I can't have this with you, too. You can't fix this, Kandikan. Gods of North and South, you've already done so much."

I pulled her back into my embrace. "I love you, Janetta Tlacotli. You are mine and I am yours. I will continue to press for the Protection Orders to become universal in the military. Then, I promise you, I will work toward ending the marriage ban and to allow a leave of absence so that women can serve the Empire and have the families they desire. Do you believe me?"

Staring, she suddenly nodded, looking down. "Yes, I believe you."

I lifted her chin. "I am yours and you are mine. Do you believe that, too?"

"Yes!"

When I kissed her, her arms flew around me and squeezed me tight. I squeezed her right back and kept on kissing her until we were both out of breath.

Izel approached, putting her hand onto Janetta's shoulder. "Thank you for accepting me. I know you aren't married to him, but I agreed that you are his First. I can see how much you love him. Why don't you just marry him?"

Before she could snap out a blistering retort, I held my index finger up. "Janetta? Let me answer. Izel, as much as Janetta loves me, she would have to leave the Air Service to marry me. Janetta is a gifted pilot, and I believe she is the best combat pilot in the Empire. Bar none. Ever since she was a little girl, she's wanted to fly, and she endured much to become a pilot. If she couldn't fly, she'd become an eagle with a broken wing. Eventually, it would kill her. She needs the freedom of the air to be alive. I love this woman with her wild heart dearly. And part of how I show her I love her is that I support her love of flying."

Janetta's eyes glittered with emotion. "You are such a shitload of complications, Kandikan. May the gods help me, I love you!" Then she buried her face into my neck and sniffed. "I love you so fucking much."

Izel gave me a grateful look. "Thank you for explaining that. Now I begin to understand. I am sure there will be more times I will need explanations for the how and why of things in House Kandikan. I ask you to be patient with me. I assure you, I will do my best to be a quick study. Lady Tlacotli, I am fully aware that both you and Calia endorsed my request to marry this man. Without both of your support, I would not be wed. I have promised my allegiance to House Kandikan. I have little influence, but I have people and resources and I can bring these ideas to the Empress. You may not be lawfully married, but he is our husband, yours and mine -- and so I name you my sister-wife. It would please me greatly, sister-wife, to one day see you as happy as I am today."

My warrior blinked as she gazed at Izel. "I'm not sure what to say."

"Nothing need be said," she answered. "I greatly suspect that your endorsement of me was motivated by what I am rather than who I am. But the astute Calia observed that I am in need of good friends. I don't name you sister-wife to placate you. Please, I want us to be friends in our own right."

Janetta turned to look at Zinja. "Ixma said she adopted Calia as her sister because she always wanted a sister and didn't have one while growing up. Of course, almost right away, Ixma and Zinja added Sisi and Mina to our lives. I was angry at first about the kids, but I was wrong and Ranji, Zinja, and Ixma were right." Then she faced Izel. "I am Warrior Caste by the grace of my father's life. I grew up the only child of my parents, and with my father dead, we struggled to have enough to eat, to have decent clothes, and to cover my books for school. I think I would like a sister. Someone to help take some of the dirt off my manners." Extending her arm, she added, "Just so we're clear, you might be the elder of us, but I'm the big sister. Understood?"

Izel laughed and entered the embrace. Then both surprised me by each kissing the other's cheek.

The priestess gave a deep sigh and nodded. "That was so beautiful!"

Janetta turned. "Zinja, come here. Join us."

The tall woman moved beside us, looking unsure.

Janetta dropped her arm from Izel and turned to embrace her mechanic. "I love you, Zinja."

Zinja hugged her back, rubbing her hands along her back. "I love you, too, Captain."

Then she startled the Oexecan woman by cupping her face and giving her a soulful kiss. Zinja quickly responded. When they broke apart, tears spilled from Zinja's eyes, and Janetta used her thumbs to brush them away.

"Kandikan seems to be able to love all of us," she said. "And despite what he thinks, he does a decent job of it. These past three years, I have depended so much on your love and loyalty, Zinja. I will try to be a better lover to you. The day after I legally become Kandikan's first wife, you will become his third. Do I make myself clear?"

Zinja nodded, grinning. "Yes, Captain."

Priestess Xiao fanned herself, her smoky voice emotional. "I love romance, but I think that part of me has gone comatose. Sergeant Chita, you have the certificates, correct? Awesome! As much as I enjoy all the love and rainbows, I must prepare for my next couple. I will accompany you outside and announce your new status to your people."

As we broke apart, Mack held my vest, giving it a meaningful shake. Akama did the same for Izel. Taking the hint, the others put on their vests as well.

Heading outside the chapel, Chita fell in with Zinja. "Did you manage to get lunch today?"

Zinja laughed. "Barely. It was chaos at the house, but Calia saved the day. There was fried chicken, potato salad, and fruit salad."

"That sounds great. I had a wonderful lunch myself."

Doyya, who walked in the traditional position beside Janetta, ahead of Izel and me, cocked her head up, suddenly looking worried.

"What'd you have?" Zinja asked.

"The Captain's Clam Chowder. Have you had it? It tastes amazing! Delicious and thick with a creamy flavor. And when you find one of those little beauties? Food of the gods. Honestly! Sometimes you have to work to get those bi-valves pried open, but it is so worth the effort. It tastes so good, sometimes I have to lick it first and savor the juices in my mouth. Ambrosia!"

Doyya started to color up as we approached the lobby.

"Sounds delicious, all right," Zinja agreed.

"A wide serving area is essential," Chita expounded. "When I'm nearly done, I have to lick up the remnants to make sure I get up every precious drop. It helps if you have a long tongue, too."

"I can imagine it does," Zinja said drily, amused.

"Oh, and when I taste that succulent meat? Sometimes the juice spills down my chin, and I have to take my finger and push it back up into my mouth."

"The Captain's Clam Chowder you say?"

"That's right. Of course, everyone has their own recipes, but I found one that I especially like."

"That can be satisfying," Zinja said with a nod. "Tweaking a recipe until it's just right takes effort, but it really is worth it."

"This recipe is to die for!"

"Chita!" Doyya halted and whirled. "What are you going on about! That's... that's private!"

"I'm talking about seafood, Captain," my senior NCO replied deadpan. "Chopped shrimp, squid, crab, and chunks of fish and potato in a thick, creamy broth?" Like a timed attack, she added, "Of course, now that you mention it, I guess all that applies to pussy-eating, too."

Without missing a beat, Zinja said, "Absolutely."

We were at the entrance, ready to pass through the huge glass doors when Priestess Xiao suddenly burst out into deep, booming howls of laugher. She laughed so hard, she had to grab the wall to keep herself steady.

"Captain Lovyanchiti," Janetta said sternly. "Do you know what your sergeant is talking about?"

"I'm sure I haven't a clue, Captain Tlacotli," Doyya replied with equally measured dignity. "What about you?"

"I've never had the Captain's Clam Chowder, and now I doubt I ever will."