Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My admin was there -- with a cast and crutches. When I looked at her, she rolled away from her desk, showing off the cast on her ankle. "Upstairs neighbors' bedroom collapsed into mine. I was trapped for more than seven hours with a broken ankle. I thought I had it bad, but the guy who crashed into my apartment didn't make it. I kept him company until he... until he..."

When I moved closer, she stood and I drew her in. Hanami wept on my chest, probably just needing to have her fear and survival acknowledged.

After a few minutes, she pulled back, reaching for one of the crutches and her box of tissues. "I'm sorry, Commander."

"There will be a lot of that, I expect, in the next several days. At least you kept him company till the end."

Hanami sniffed, then grabbed a tissue as she plunked back into her chair. "More like he kept me company. Told me jokes that made me laugh and helped pass the time."

"Do you remember his name?"

"Sergeant Olan Tokleep. Ground Service. He was a musician. Played the drums in 6th Brigade."

"When it comes time to speak the names of the dead, you should speak his name and remember him."

Hanami wiped her face and then blew her nose. Then she looked aghast. "I'm sorry, Commander. I messed up your shirt!"

"It'll wash, Hanami. Besides, I still have my neckerchief. I see Chita and Suhanee aren't in?"

"Suhanee's among the missing, Commander. Chita came and took Captain Lovyanchiti home just after zero-two-hundred this morning -- at least, that's what my voicemail said. She plans to be in to the office after the dinner hour."

"All right. I may be in and out. If you haven't heard, our gallant captain and her brave warriors rescued almost two hundred women and children from captivity."

"The rumors have been flying like crazy. Almost two hundred?"

I nodded. "A portion of them were our people, but many were civilians. I have a meeting late this afternoon with the Capisco Police to return those from the Seven Nations to their families. I'm expecting Lieutenant Ja-See sometime in between that and possibly a call from Sammi Reo, the reporter from the Seven Nations. If either call, I'm available. Do you know if the Commissary is open yet?"

"No, sir." She was busy writing down what I'd just told her. When she finished, she pushed her glasses up her nose and looked at me.

"Please call and find out if they are open. It's nearly lunchtime and if they're open for take-out, I'm sure both of us can stand to eat."

"Yes, Commander." She picked up the phone and started dialing.

Inside my office, I dropped my satchel onto my desk and called General Barankoshto.

"I just left you, Commander. Did you forget to ask me something?"

"Are you aware of how many bulldozers we have, General?"

"Actually, I am. After the damage was cleared, we found we only had two that were operational. Now we have one. But the captain is right. We need to get the airfield cleared and the holes patched."

"Since that is the case, I will see about buying a bulldozer as well as a dump truck and trailer to pull the bulldozer."

"Lease it, Commander. Don't buy. Be aware that both vehicles will likely require combustion fuel. Their electric power is not compatible with our systems. Whomever you get the vehicles from will have to also supply a tanker with the capacity to pump the fuel on-site. If you can manage to get a second one, we'll use it to buy favor from the Navy. They had one, but it got too close to the fires and the driver barely escaped."

"I'll work on it. The trouble is I don't know squat about heavy equipment. Can you send someone down to ask the pertinent questions with the dealers? And I'll need someone on hand to drive whatever vehicles I get from the Main Gate to the airfield."

"I'll make the arrangements, Commander."

"I hope so, too. I assume that the location of our meeting had no specific significance."

"You assume correctly, Commander. I was checking on my troops and as you are the junior officer, it was convenient for you to come to me. Like you, I have a mountain of tasks on my desk, Commander, and I'm arriving at my next destination. Do you need anything else?"

"No, General."

"Goodbye, Commander." And she hung up.

The Commissary Diner was damaged, but they were doing a brisk business with take-out. I placed an order for a hundred sandwiches and five one-gallon containers of scrambled eggs, stir-fry vegetables, and millet for the office staff and those troopers who happened to be in the office. After calling in the order, I found some volunteers to go in an hour and pick up the goods. It was amazing to see how many bright smiles the prospect of hot food engendered.

Meanwhile, Hanami called the Capisco Chamber of Commerce, and she got the names of heavy equipment dealers with lease options. By the time the hot food arrived, a corporal from Mobile Construction showed up. He was delighted to grab a plate of hot food and fresh cahault, and sit with me while I talked to three dealers about leasing the heavy equipment. A sergeant with knowledge of Hassanyeet, the state language, was found to translate for both sides.

It took about two hours, but a dealer was agreed upon, a contract was transmitted, signed, and transmitted back. The dealer said the vehicles would be delivered the following morning. Two bulldozers, a dump truck and trailer, and a fuel truck and trailer. I thanked the trooper for translating and the corporal for his assistance. I notified the Main Gate to expect the arrivals.

Next, I called Chita at home.

She answered on the second ring. "Chita here."

"Ranji Kandikan here. How are you both holding up?"

"Not too good, Commander. I was notified about an hour ago that my admin, Sergeant Suhanee Xocho, was identified as one of the casualties. Her building caught fire that evening and she died of smoke inhalation."

"Stay home today," I told her. "Take care of yourself and Doyya. I'll make the announcement myself. Fresh start tomorrow. Tonight, I'll swing by on my way home to check on you both. If she's sleeping, I don't want you to wake her up."

"All right, Commander. Goodbye."

Just like that, the quirky sergeant with the purple hair and flashing lights was gone.

As expected, when I exited my office with the news to the rest of the office staff, Hanami broke down. There were a few other tearful faces as well. In the short time they'd known each other, the office staff had quickly become friends. Since she'd already wept for the neighbor who'd kept her company, Hanami was stunned by another personal loss.

"I'm sorry I'm such a mess, Commander."

"Don't worry about it," I said, rubbing her back. "I liked her, too. Weeping for others is not a sign of weakness. Rather, it's proof that they were good people who will be missed. At least man your desk today. If a lot doesn't get done today, be prepared to get to it tomorrow."

After helping her sit back down, I saw Ja-See arrive with a score of people in civilian dress following her.

I gestured to my office while pulling out my cell phone. I dialed Janetta.

"Tlacotli here. What's up?"

"I have news about your request for heavy equipment."

"And?"

"There's only one working bulldozer at High Guard--"

Janetta began swearing.

It took a few moments to get her attention as I entered my office. "I've arranged to lease a bulldozer and a dump truck from a vendor in Capisco. It's on loan so be nice with it. They are fuel-based, not electric. Both should arrive early tomorrow morning. I don't have an exact time, but was assured it would be before noon. There will also be a dump truck to help with clearing debris. A small refueling truck with a dispensing pump and a thousand-gallon capacity will be arriving tomorrow. The bulldozer has a hundred-and-eight-gallon capacity. The dump truck will take fifty gallons at a time. Ground Service will provide drivers to bring them to your location. Take the time to have your enlisted familiarize themselves with the systems and vehicles. We have the option to renew in thirty days. Treat this like aviation fuel, Janetta."

"We're not idiots, Kandikan," she snapped. After a pause, she added, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't snap at you like that. You went out of your way to help us. This will help us a lot. I'll tell my CO the news. We'll keep an eye out for the equipment."

"See you at home tonight?"

"I may be late. If we're not there, save us some dinner, but don't wait to eat on our account. I need to get back to work."

"Safe flight and safe return," I told her. "Give Zinja a kiss for me."

"I'll do that. Thank you, Ground Support."

Putting away the phone, I reached into my desk and pulled out the three-inch cube, and engaged it. Sitting on the corner of my desk, I looked around my packed office. "Well, Lieutenant, who do we have here?"

"This is part of your permanent Tactical Ops group. This is Captain Taruca, Lieutenant Compeche, Third Sergeants Paco and Wapi, Sergeant Maquinna..."

"Ja-See, I appreciate the effort, but I already have to try and keep the names of over eighteen hundred Air Security personnel. While I appreciate you hard work, I'd prefer they introduce themselves. Helps me to associate name, face, and voice together. Officers first, give your grade, first name, and House name. Then from left to right. Begin."

"As you wish, Commander." Then she found a seat and took out her tablet, reviewing who knows what. She was Itznacoco's creature and as she had reminded me at our first meeting and again with Janetta, she was temporary and outside the normal chain of command.

Taking the time, I listened as the men introduced themselves. I looked for anything that felt off or for any sense of connection that would help me remember them.

When they were finished, I spoke up. "Lieutenant Ja-See has probably told you my name, but I prefer to make sure you know who I am. I am Commander Ranji Kandikan, CO for the 602 Air Security Regiment. We, and the 1267 Ground Security, take care of security concerns here at High Guard. We have Naval and Marine Security Services, but we don't interact with them too much at this time.

"Ja-See has more to say, but I'll take another few moments of your time before I yield to my able assistant. This is High Guard War Base, and two days ago one flight of Atlantean aircraft penetrated the air-space perimeter of this Imperial military installation and gave us a serious pasting. For almost half-an-hour, they delivered death with impunity, even going so far as to ignore strategically important buildings and focusing on population-rich targets, and our water purification plant. They did, however, hit the Naval depot and Submarine Pen pretty hard. The casualty lists are still coming in. They did that with alien tech provided to them by the alien Greys. Two weeks prior to that attack, a pair of Atlanteans engaged two full flights of fighters, the SAR units sent up to recover downed pilots, and proceeded to shoot all of them down, targeting the pilots in the water, a blatant escalation of hostilities. While damaged, the Sea Dragon and supporting Naval units managed to drive them off. High Guard is working hard to repair the damage, but unless things change fast, it's going to get ugly here.

"Captain Taruca, I see there are no women among you. Is there any reason for that?"

"I assure you it was not planned. Rather, it was just how it worked out. We volunteered, and the Director of Tikún Travel approved everyone that's here today."

"Regardless," I said, "I still need to verify your identities before you are read into anything sensitive. I still have a few things left to say. You will keep your membership within Imperial Security a secret from the general population at this time. Your primary mission is the protection and preservation of the Empire of Chimorro against all enemies, foreign and domestic. You may be assigned supporting roles within Air Security and you may be tasked with short- and long-term missions at my discretion. My family is aware that I am with Imperial Security but nothing else. There are also four others who will be read into your presence. The first one is my Second, Captain Lovyanchiti, who is also one of my Watch Commanders. Another is Chita Wanwari, the Regimental NCO. The last two are the remaining Watch Commanders, Lieutenants Fortri and Raltikon. They are also trained Imperial Security officers.

"While there's plenty more you need to know, all that can wait but for one last item. We have what's called the Unit Protection Order in place at High Guard. The Unit Protection Order says that you may not order anyone to have sex against their will. That goes for officers, enlisted, servants, even slaves. And consent under duress won't be tolerated. This order has the endorsement of the Base Commandant. If any of you have a problem following this order, tell me now and I will get your transfer orders processed right away. If anyone breaks that order, I will land hard on your ass with both feet. All right, Ja-See, what are you so anxious to tell me?"

The slender woman, without looking up from her tablet screen, said, "Captain Taruca, I'll let you have the honor of explaining your current mission assignment."

"Commander, we brought with us a working circuit board from your father. He said you'd know what to do with it."

"Holy gods," I muttered. "It works?"

Taruca nodded. "I witnessed it myself."

"Now we have a fighting chance," I said.

Ja-See nodded with satisfaction. "Indeed."

"Oh, and Commander?" Taruca added. "There's a liaison who accompanied us and isn't here with us. His name is Lord Nicsoll Roshan. He's a civilian, and a political appointee, sir."

"Who does he represent?" I demanded.

"Itcha Aeronautics," the captain supplied.

"All right, clarify the problem for me," I said, growing irritated.

"He's a conservative, Commander. His family is against women serving in the military, even in support roles. You need to know, the Emperor selected him personally."

And there it was. The gods of chaos were up to their old tricks, doing their best to mess up my life while laughing their asses off at my expense. While I said nothing out loud, my mind seethed with the news.

Then I frowned. "Twenty security personnel and one company rep. A technician to help with the installation wasn't sent along?"

Taruca said, "Two were sent along. They were in the fourth submarine along with a spare copy of the circuit board. They didn't make it."

"Didn't make it? That should have been part of your initial report! Was there anything else that happened during your trip here? Very well. Fortunately, I know an e-man who is brilliant. In the future, I expect to be made aware of the entirety of any situation. If I don't know the facts, I can't make good decisions. If you try to hide things from me, you will just piss me off. Am I clear, everyone?"

"Yes, sir," they echoed.

The circuit board and a copy of the schematics were produced and safely locked into my office safe. After that, identification papers were checked and identities confirmed by Tikún Travel. I was busy on transfers and filing paperwork with the various personnel units. Ja-See had them filling out the paperwork necessary for working in an Air Security unit.

Two of the new men were selected to keep watch within my office, with a relief rotation every four hours. They were not to interfere with staff needing to put papers in my office.

As the cahault-maker was empty, Hanami found a volunteer to clean and fill it and showed them where to find the fresh cahault and filters.

Ja-See took most of them to get their alternate Air Security ID cards and then to the armory for those who were unarmed.

I turned off the cube, storing it in my bottom desk drawer under lock and key. Checking my email, I scanned through the few hundred in my inbox, finding the one with the list of names and personal information on the young women from the Seven Nations. Printing out the list, I sent it by fax to the Capisco Police Department, attention to Detective Sergeant Jon Crazy Wolf, Precinct 7.

Then I got up and stretched.

* * * * *

Part 20 -- More Changes

* * * * *

Looking out of my office, I spied Mack and Akama waiting across the bullpen nearby. Giving them both a smile, I walked over.

"Afternoon, Commander," Mack said, nodding respectfully.

"Afternoon, Ladies." I paused. "Word came this afternoon that Sergeant Suhanee's body was identified. She was overwhelmed by smoke inhalation."

Mack winced. "Yes, sir."

"Does it ever get any easier, Commander?" Akama asked.

"No, afraid not. If it ever does, I hope my Second puts her boot up my ass. Did you two go with her to rescue those who were taken?"

The flash of smiles vanished as they gave me sober looks before nodding.

"Have you written up your After Action Reports?"

"No, Commander," Mack replied quietly. "When it was over, the captain expressly forbade anyone making a written record of what happened down below and not to talk about it with anyone who wasn't there."

"Did she now." Probably something to do with the lack of prisoners. "Very well. The women from the Seven Nations are going to be returned to their homes later this evening. While we have supplies coming in, services to deliver them are still in chaos. I would prefer they be checked out so we could give their people recommendations of care. However, we just don't have the resources at this time and have to hope for the best for their recovery. I'm going to visit the Motor Pool personally and make sure there are busses and drivers available for tonight.

"After that, I want to have a short visit with Captain Lovyanchiti. I expect she'll be sleeping, but Sergeant Chita is taking care of her, and I want to see how they are doing. I'll go home for dinner, then head back out to supervise the repatriation process. Any questions?"

"No, sir."

"Then let's go, ladies."

Both of them looked at me. "Where's your vest and helmet, Commander?"

"Helmet's at home, and I need a new panel for the vest," I answered. "Were you two informed about Grannok and Jomin?"

"No, sir," Mack answered. "And with all due respect, Commander, what has that to do with you wearing protective gear?"

"Everything and nothing," I told them.

"They helped us free our families," Akama said. "Did something happen to them?"

"They were killed yesterday, defending me and my wife."

"Damn," Akama muttered.

Mack sighed. "All right, Commander, what do you want us to do? We are your bodyguards for this shift. You are supposed to be wearing protective gear, and you're telling you don't have any here. And in all likelihood arrived here without any."

"Okay, now I feel bad. Check my closet," I said. "There might be a spare."

"Akama, go get the cruiser. I'll see if he has a spare vest." Mack gave me a dark look as she strode back to my office.

Then I remembered there were armed men in my office and they didn't know Mack. I hurried after her.

"Who are you?" Mack demanded, staring at the men.

"Mack?" I said, "This is Corporal Sheecohtsl and Private Arklet."

The two men didn't say anything, impassively ignoring her.

"Excuse... will you please move?" Mack looked at them with irritation. "I need to get to the closet!"

The corporal moved.

She pulled out a vest and held it out to me. "Are you taking your laptop, Commander?"

I knew she was pretty sharp, and I wondered how many alarm bells were going off for her. "No, I just need to shut it down. I'll be back in a few hours."

After I put on the vest, I went to the laptop and hit the quick shutdown button, then closed the lid.