Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I believe Captain Insokor will be disappointed at this new development." He gave me a wry grin as he handed back my transfer orders, then he saluted. "My ass and I appreciate your intentions, Commander. Our late CO spoke well of you. Welcome to the 1267."

I returned his salute, and we arrived at the CO's office. I tried to open the door but it was locked.

Altohay said, "I'll get someone here right away to take care of the lock, sir. We just haven't—"

"No need to explain," I said. "Just get it done before tomorrow. Where's my assigned admin?"

"Dead, sir."

I exhaled, nodding. The 602 had lost a quarter of its people from the raid and subsequent fires and rescue operations. 1267 had lost forty-two percent; the regiment was carrying on, but it had been hit pretty damn hard. The loss of their CO and the Second in hospital, the Exec's dithering couldn't help but be noticed. "After you contact the locksmith, Sergeant, notify the network administrator to get in contact with me, as I expect to be able to go into my office and login tomorrow morning and get to work, not twiddle my thumbs while computer permissions percolate through the server. Until I get set up and can send out my own memo, please announce my arrival as CO. Oh, and let everyone know that my protection detail are Air Security troopers and will remain so, so an Air Security cruiser will sit in the CO parking slot."

"Yes, sir. Locksmith, network access, memo about CO change, don't touch the Air Security cruiser or evil things will descend from the heavens. Got it."

Mack and Akama both openly grinned.

I asked, "Do you have someone separate assigned as the office manager?"

"Yes, sir. Second Sergeant Komiki Chokometsl."

"Excellent. Tell Sergeant Komiki that I will meet with him first thing in the morning about getting an admin. Since the office is locked, I will head over to the Quartermaster's and get into the proper uniform. Do you have my phone number?"

"No, sir."

We both pulled out our phones, selected the Exchange Contact option, and touched them together.

"If you run into Second Sergeant Komiki, share my phone number with him."

"Komiki is a she, sir."

"Fair enough. Thank you for the correction. That could be awkward otherwise."

With that, I bid him goodbye and at the front desk, signed out. Akama drove us to the Quartermaster's Office.

In short order, the private at the receiving desk deferred me to his supervisor, and I found myself speaking to a ruffled-looking supply sergeant. I provided my sizes and ordered a replacement Air Service Class B uniform in case the blood, having long since dried and set, wasn't able to come clean. Personally, I liked the Air Service color scheme of dark blue slacks and light blue shirt with a dark blue dress jacket. The Ground Service had dark brown slacks and a darker bronze shirt (it's browner than orange); it comes with a dark brown dress jacket. There were rumors of a new cammo-version Class B for the Ground Service, but nothing had reached High Guard yet.

I ordered a full set of Ground Service uniforms. Two Class A's and six Class B uniforms with one peaked cap and seven garrison caps; I preferred the garrison caps because they're easy to store when not in use, but you have to wear the peaked caps whenever you're at a formal dinner event, which happens every month or so. I requested that two of the Class B shirts be short sleeved. Fortunately, the previous year, the Ground Service had eliminated the gold neckerchief from their Class B uniform. I also ordered a dozen tan-colored undershirts. We were heading into fall, and while the daytime weather could still be hot, nights were getting cooler. I also ordered a dozen pair of brown socks, an extra pair of combat boots, and Ground Service winter jacket. After looking up the patch for the 1267, the supply sergeant set the printer to making ten sets of unit and name patches for me.

After deducting the cost of the one class A uniform I received due to my service branch transfer, I paid for the rest of my uniforms. I directed that one Class A and one each of the Class B be sent to Ground Security with attention to the CO's office, while the rest of the uniforms and supplies were to be delivered to my home address. Then I informed the supply sergeant that I needed one of those long-sleeved Class B uniforms as I intended to change before leaving.

"Some of the items are on back order, Commander," the sergeant warned.

"That's fine. Itemize what you have in stock and what's on back-order on the receipt, Sergeant."

"I see you're entitled to wear the aiguillette, Commander. The Ground Service version is purple."

"No, it's not required. Skip it." It was nice to have the science researcher certification, but there was no extra privilege or pay bonus, so I soon quit wearing it as it could sometimes get in the way in the field.

The sergeant scrolled through a couple of computer screens, bit his lower lip, then said, "We are out of Ground Service Class B officer shirts in your size, sir. What would you like to do?"

"Let's go one size larger. Or is that also a problem?"

"No, sir." And he went to retrieve my new uniform from the shelves. When he returned, since I was an officer, he opened the changing room for me. Mack and Akama scanned the room, then waited outside.

After I was dressed, I looked at myself in the full-length mirror. I certainly looked different in the brown trousers and garrison cap and the bronze shirt. Instead of the officer neckerchief, a bit of the tan tee-shirt worn beneath showed as the last button was worn unfastened. Gathering up my old uniform, I exited the room. At the desk, I took one of the completed patches and affixed it to my left arm. The right arm already had the patch for the 67th Armored Division on it.

Setting my Air Service blues onto the counter, I turned to my guard detail, held out my arms and asked, "Well? What do you think?"

Akama nodded.

Mack said, "You're a fine-looking warrior, sir. However, I must confess that I can't wait to see Captain Tlacotli's reaction this evening."

"Oh?"

"Commander, you went to work this morning wearing an Air Service uniform. You're going home wearing the uniform of the Ground Service. Should be more than a few surprised faces tonight."

"True enough," I acknowledged with a grin.

With instructions to take me home, I called the Support Company CO for the 602.

"Sinocaya here."

"This is Commander Kandikan. I need you to make sure something happens. I've been temporarily assigned to run the 1267."

"Yes, I saw the memo this afternoon. What do you need from me, sir?"

"While I'm gone, Captain Lovyanchiti will be in command. Tell the network admin that I need the mail software to route all mail addressed generically to the CO of the 602 and not specifically to me to be routed to Captain Lovyanchiti's mailbox, and the sooner it happens, the better. Even though I'm at the 1267, I do not want him to lock out my permissions with Air Security. This is a temporary assignment."

"I'll see to it, Commander."

"I appreciate it. Thank you, Lieutenant." I hung up. "Mack? Akama?"

"Yes, sir?" they answered.

"What are you doing on the second weekend day?"

"Sleeping in an extra hour or two sounded nice," Mack said.

Akama said with feeling, "Yeah, that does sound great."

"Doubt Tambo or Shima will stand for it," Mack added.

Akama laughed.

"Oh, crap, I nearly forgot Cholan! Pull over, Akama. We might need to go get her."

As she did as I requested, I called Roshan. He sounded irritated, but I reminded him it was near evening meal time. "Cholan needs to eat. Besides, I have a need to know your location."

It was in a maintenance hangar, a full two rads further south of Janetta's hangar. "We'll be there in about twenty minutes, Lord Roshan."

He hung up without saying a word.

I gave Akama the location, and she got us going in that direction.

While we crossed the war base, I said, "I think we need to have a minor celebration, a sort of 'thank the gods that we're alive' sort of thing. I'm going to arrange for a bus or two from Ground Service motor pool. We'll leave around zero-nine-hundred, and stay until around fifteen hundred hours. We'll take two escort cruisers, too, in case something happens and someone has to come back to the war base early. I want all those off duty Air Security living at the house or at Second Home to go with us to the Aquarium, and I expect you to bring your children. I know Sisi and Mina will enjoy going back for another visit. I'm paying for everyone. We'll pack some lunches, but we'll also get some food while there. Oh, and diaper bags. I'm pretty sure the weather is supposed to be nice that day. What do you say?"

They hemmed a bit, so I added, "It's not required, and if anyone is too tired, I'll understand. But it's a free event that I'm paying for. Please, at least think it over. I'll run it by my family tonight, and if we need to, we can push it back an extra week. But I think it will do all of us a world of good to get off the war base and do something fun with people that are important to us. If it doesn't work out for this weekend, then we will plan for next weekend. No need to commit right now. Just think it over."

"Yes, sir."

We arrived outside the huge hangar; it was big enough to hold a Condor inside, it was that large. I got out and Mack came with me. We weren't expecting to be long, so Akama waited inside the cruiser. The big doors were closed, so we made our way around the side entrance.

The two guards at the door were known to me; they were part of the late Captain Taruca's team. Both guards wore heavy body armor and helmets, and besides the Chon 44 pistols they had previously worn while standing duty in my office, they were also equipped with short swords and heavy assault rifles. I could see they both recognized me, yet they remained reserved and professional as they checked my ID through a portable scanner and had me sign in, and insisted that Mack do the same. Considering the sensitive nature of the project, I approved of the precautions. The helmets would enable them to see one of Supay's human bombs; things had been quiet for a while, but it was idiocy to assume the Minister would ever let go of his grudges. However, the helmet would do nothing against a draconian agent equipped with their camouflage device.

Once Mack and I were signed in, I prepared to enter the hangar itself, thinking it shouldn't be too hard to track down my Island Girl.

Corporal Angwam, the ranking NCO at the access point, "Wait, Commander! One of us must go with you while you're inside!"

"I'm just here to pick up Sergeant Cholan. The sergeant is a part of my household."

"Lord Roshan insists there be no unescorted visitors inside, and that he be informed of any visitors prior to being allowed to speak with any of the research staff."

"All right, so far I have no issues. But just so we're clear here, who is your commanding officer, Corporal?"

"Lord Roshan, Commander."

Taken aback, I narrowed my eyes at the corporal. "Indeed? Who ordered this transfer of command?"

"Lieutenant Compeche, sir."

"To a civilian? What did Captain Taruca have to say about this?"

"Lieutenant Compeche informed us that Captain Taruca was murdered this morning. Lieutenant Compeche is now our immediate CO."

The men already knew of their officer's death? "At what time were you informed of Captain Taruca's death?"

"I think you need to ask my CO about anything else, Commander."

Alarmed by this unauthorized change, I said nothing. I didn't want to trigger anything, especially before I got Cholan outside the hangar, safe and sound. Afterward, I planned to have some serious words with Lieutenant Compeche and Lord Roshan about the chain of command. However, there was no escaping that at that moment, Lieutenant Compeche had become the prime suspect in Captain Taruca's death, and I seriously wondered whether yet another draconian had made it into High Guard War Base.

We arrived at Lord Roshan's office. His assistant typed away while Roshan himself worked through a stack of papers.

He looked up when we approached, focusing his gaze on me. "Well? Did you find it?"

"Not yet. It's only been a few hours, and the man who could have answered as to its whereabouts has been murdered."

Waving dismissively, he demanded, "Then why are you here, bothering me? Get out there and find it, Commander!"

"It's nearing the dinner hour," I said. "I'm here to pick up Cholan and take her home for the night. She'll be back, bright and early, tomorrow morning."

"What?" Roshan stood up. "Impossible! She's only been working for six hours. You insisted I take her and I did. I'm entitled to receive a full ten hours of labor from her!"

"This isn't a factory floor," I snapped back. "Cholan is a valued member of the Air Service and part of Captain Tlacotli's ground crew. She is on loan here. Did you feed her lunch or make arrangements for her to have a meal break?"

"Of course not!" he blustered back. "This is a vital project critical to the Empire's survival!"

"Such tactics might work in the fields," I shot back, "but this project needs skilled and trained people who get food on a regular basis, and at least some rest time each day. Push them too hard and they will cease to function effectively. Keep pushing further, and they will cease to function at all. What do you plan to do when they're all dead and this project fails? Blame them for your idiocy?"

His bluster suddenly turned cold, his voice enunciating each word clearly. "I'm a patriot, Commander. If it meant the success of the project, to save our glorious Empire against this new Atlantean threat, I would happily see every single one of those people out in that hangar buried."

Matching his tone, "I see. I'm here to pick up Cholan so she can go home and eat dinner, not to ask your permission."

Roshan stared at me a moment, then sat back down. "Fine. Take her."

With his dismissal, Mack and I were escorted to Cholan, who was busy examining part of one of the downed Atlantean fighters. She didn't seem to notice our presence at first, and I watched as five men worked with her. Three followed her instructions as they traced the power line through that portion of wreckage; one of the men constantly took pictures as they disassembled what was there, while another wrote down commentary as they others worked.

As she climbed out from underneath, I called out, "Cholan? Cholan, you need to take a break."

Startled, she stared a bit, shook her head as if she were trying to keep awake, then gave a half-smile as she approached. "Commander? What are you doing here?"

"It's dinner time. We need to go."

I reached for her cheek to brush as a grease smudge, but she jerked her head back.

She said, "Lord Roshan was quite clear, sir. No public displays of affection on the work floor." She blinked several times, then asked, "Did you find the interface piece?"

"Not yet, but we're looking for it," I answered. "Come on, let's get you some dinner."

Cholan shook her head. "I can't leave! I can't let down the captain and the Empire! Lord Roshan is depending on me, on all of us!"

I narrowed my gaze. "Can't? It's dinner time. Remember what I told you last year? About skipping meals? It's time for dinner, Cholan. You'll be coming back soon enough."

She stared at me for a few moments, then exhaled. "All right."

We stopped by another workstation where she collected her vest and helmet, then we were escorted out. After signing out, the three of us walked to the front of the hangar where Akama waited. Getting into the cruiser, I noted her stiff body language, and she stared out the window the whole way home.

When we arrived, the cruiser was secured, and once we were inside the house, Mack and Akama went off duty. I touched Cholan on her shoulder and quietly asked, "Do you want to talk?"

She shook her head. "I just wanna eat and talk to the captain to update her on things."

There was a line of others waiting to greet me, so I didn't have a chance to pursue matters. Everyone wanted to know why I was wearing a Ground Service uniform, of course. I told them I would explain during dinner. An intense hug and kiss from Ixma. Magic hugs from Sisi and Mina. A very warm greeting from Izel. Warm yet less urgent hug and kiss Zinja. When I looked for Janetta, Zinja explained that she and Cholan were talking upstairs.

Next order was to find Calia and get an update on Ja-See. Asking around, I discovered that Calia was in the emergency shelter in the basement. When I descended the stairs, there were a lot of women, perhaps a score and most held sleeping infants, all listening to Calia talk.

"... most important point to remember is to acknowledge your emotions. You might not be able to act on them, but your feelings are yours, and they matter just as you do. Wouldn't you agree, Commander, that all your troopers matter?"

"Uh, yes, of course. Am I interrupting?"

"Not especially. I'm holding a class on learning to deal with trauma. You are welcome to sit in, if you like." Calia turned her attention to the women seated around her. "Most of you may not be aware of it, but this class has the full support of both the Commander and his Second, Captain Lovyanchiti. Both of them asked me to put this class together because they felt it was important to make the information available. The Commander is also known as the man who first stood up and issued his Protection Order, an order that spans all of High Guard War Base, and has the support of important people like General Rikoletsi, the Commandant of High Guard; Lord Bantochi, the Air Marshal; and even Lord Wanitsl, the War Minister."

Then she gave me her attention again. "Oh, of course, Commander. Class, one of the commander's officers, Lieutenant Ja-See was badly injured this morning. Commander, she's sleeping in my bed."

Nodding, I made my way to her bed, and the makeshift wall muted much of the discussion going on. Seeing the woman lying in bed, wearing a tee-shirt, I approached quietly. The first thing I noticed was that her camouflage tech was active as she appeared fully human. If Ja-See was asleep, I wouldn't wake her because I assumed that she truly needed the rest. She'd almost died this morning! However, if she awakened, then she could hopefully provide some important information.

When I sat on the edge of the bed, she rolled over and opened her eyes. "Commander," she whispered.

"I'm glad to see you're awake. Do you speak Vedan? I have questions that need answers and the information should be restricted at this time."

Moving carefully, obviously with some soreness if not outright pain, she sat up. Ja-See gave me a shy smile, and answering in Vedan, said, "Yes, I speak the language."

To my astonishment, I realized the tee-shirt was one of mine; it was large on her body frame and it was another of my shirts promoting Lio Airways. I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

As I was distracted, she said, "What can I answer for you?"

"Did you get a look at your attacker?" I asked.

"No, his face was covered. I only know he was a human male by the shape of his hands and his scent."

"His scent? Is that something that could help you identify him?"

"I don't think so. Females can identify pheromones, but we aren't trackers as most of our lives we are herbivores."

"That's a curious statement. Would you care to explain that to me?"

She nodded. "Female usually don't eat meat. For adult females, it's our form of birth control courtesy of our biology. We can eat meat, but doing so it brings on estrus, what you call sexual heat. Once begun, our appetite for meat increases until by the fifth day, meat is the only thing we eat. Even a little is enough to trigger the change. If we change our minds, we pay a penalty, we must avoid meat over the next several days, while we suffer a fever. Once the fever breaks, we can resume our vegetarian lifestyle. We can have mates, but that's a social construct, and in ancient times, a male could have more than one female he was supplying meat to. After the fifth day, a female may even join in the hunt to secure more meat. In the presence of a male, we bend over and present our sex. The need to breed rages through her body so thoroughly, she has difficulty making good choices until she becomes pregnant. It is during the pregnancy that her mind soon returns to her. For the duration of the pregnancy and for two to three weeks after giving birth, our diet must be omnivorous.

1...34567...17