Starlight Gleaming Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TJSkywind
TJSkywind
979 Followers

Dr. Jehantli gave an indulgent shrug. "All right, you have my attention and my interest." He logged onto his computer, and after a few moments of typing away, he announced, "Okay, I'm running a full comparison between the last readout from when you were at the Nanotech Center at Mohingo War Base earlier this year and comparing it to the profile obtained when you entered the Air Service flight school, also at Mohingo." Continuing to type, he added, "Ah, Mohingo War Base has a copy of your Air Militia profile available, so I'll add that to the analysis."

She frowned a moment as she looked at me for confirmation. "My lord, the Air Militia stores the original medical records at a different location, do they not?"

"They do," I confirmed. "Air Service records are retained at the induction site or wherever the medical work is done for five years. Then they are forwarded to the Medical Records Division at Sentry War Base near Tohingo in Tacana State. A backup set stored underground at the Nazca Proving Grounds. Not everyone who enters the militia goes on to serve the Empire. Some join the local military or serve as retainers for the landed nobility. In any event, all the records are available on the secure military network, which Dr. Jehantli is currently accessing." The doctor nodded in confirmation as I spoke. "However, Air Militia records are stored at Tikún War College, in one of the sub-basements of their headquarters unit. I don't believe medical records for any of the militia branches are available online, however. I'm positive those for the Air Militia aren't."

Calia turned her attention back to the doctor. "Dr. Jehantli, please be good enough to request a copy of my lord's records from Tikún be sent to you."

"But there's already a copy available in his medical files!" he protested.

"Doctor," was all she said, and her voice was firm.

"Very well. You understand that this late in the day, it's likely the request won't be processed until sometime next week?"

"It will take however long it takes," she replied, gazing at me. "Copies of original records are fine, but not copies of copies. It's important to be as thorough as possible."

"You think someone's tampered with my medical records?" I asked her.

"My lord, someone once deleted all of your flight training spanning over two years of your life," she countered. "In for a copper piece, in for the gold."

I was pretty sure my files were being watched by Itznacoco and his people for such tampering. But what if the damage had already been done before they started keeping watch?

Dr. Jehantli harrumphed, then said, "Well, I'll get to it when I can," and continued typing for close to a minute, Once done, he pushed away his keyboard and looked at Calia. "Since you're here, will you answer a few questions about your psionic abilities while we wait? You did agree to talk to me."

Calia shrugged, giving me a smirk, the kind I'd seen when she was playing a game against an adult just before she was ready to pounce. "All right, go ahead, doctor. Ask."

"Excellent! Let's dive right in. Have you ever used your abilities to harm another?"

Startled, she frowned uncomfortably. "Yes."

Dr. Jehantli was immediately interested in her answer. "Do you mind telling me what you did? Please include the circumstances. Context might be important."

Unhappy, she swallowed, then said, "It was some months ago. It was the same day as when Atlantis attacked, but an hour earlier. Our home was under attack by armed criminals who tried to storm through the front door. Several of us tried to reach the emergency shelter, but next they drove a vehicle against the garage, trying break through that way. They managed to partially warp it, and when we opened the door to get to the shelter entrance, they shot at us.

"Terra and Salvia hid with Nariya and her infant son on the first floor. Lady Izel's servants, who slept in the gym due to space and had nowhere else to go, stayed in the main room. Thinking the second floor would be safer, Ixma and I took the commander's daughters upstairs and we hid in their bedroom. The four of us were only there a few minutes when some men were breaking in from the upstairs deck. Ixma and I were frightened, but we held onto the girls, telling them to stay quiet, that screaming would attract the bad men to where we were.

"There was a loud crash in the hallway, followed by gunshots, yelling, and sounds of fighting. Suddenly, a man with a pistol burst into our bedroom. Seeing us, he seemed ecstatic. I saw what he planned for us—"

"Wait! What do you mean you saw what he had planned? Are you saying you were able to read his thoughts?"

"Yes, and they were vile and horrifying!"

It appeared that remembering the event was more than traumatic; distaste and possibly even self-recrimination flashed across her face before she squelched it down.

The doctor continued. "And you were able to see his thoughts without having to touch him?"

"Surface thoughts only. Whatever he was thinking about at that moment." Calia shuddered at the recollection. "I saw flashes of the other women he'd beaten... raped, and murdered. Rapid images I saw, like snapshots skimmed from a life of cruel debauchery he actually took pride in! He saw us and imagined doing those things to us! Even... he even wanted to hurt those sweet girls!" Distressed, her voice rose. "I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't! I had no choice!"

"I understand it was a dangerous situation," the doctor said calmly, trying to soothe her. "No one is casting any blame here, Calia. Certainly not me! You used your abilities to protect another woman and the children in your care. You did what anyone in your situation would do. How long did this reading of his intentions take?"

"Only a second or two."

He wrote a few notes onto a paper writing pad, then asked, "Now, please tell me, how you killed him?"

Appalled, Calia said, "I didn't kill him! You asked me if I used my abilities to harm another!"

Surprised, the doctor paused a moment, gazing at her as he reflected, then he nodded. "You're correct, that's the phrasing I used. I'm sorry, and you are correct to be precise. The exact wording can be important. Tell me, then, how you harmed him?"

Tears suddenly spilling down her cheeks, her voice full of anguish, Calia closed her eyes as she said, "I made his eyeballs rupture! I... If he couldn't see us, we could defend ourselves easier and drive him away!"

I remembered what Janetta had told me. One man had got past them while they fought to contain the others and he broke into the girls' bedroom. Janetta said he wasn't there but a few seconds when he came back out, hands covering his face, screaming. She'd shot him and moved on, her attention on preventing the other gang members from gaining entry.

Distraught, Calia turned to me, crying out, "I'm so sorry, Master! I know I should have killed him. His thoughts were disgusting and evil, but I couldn't take his life! Please, forgive me!"

Reaching over, I tugged her onto my lap and wrapped my arms around her. Shaking, she burrowed into my neck as wept while trying to recover her composure.

"He... he was so startled, he dropped his pistol. Ixma grabbed it, and readied, in case another man broke in. Thankfully, the fighting outside our room soon ended. Master, I feel like I let you down!"

Using one hand to hold her close, I ran the other one up and down her back, trying to comfort her roiling emotions. "There's nothing to forgive, Calia. I'm the warrior, not you. You're a healer and a peacekeeper. Your heart is the gentlest of anyone I know. You, Ixma, Sisi, and Mina - you are my girls. You used just enough violence to drive that man away. You kept yourself and them safe while the warriors defended our home! Had you not acted as you did, well, events could have been much worse." I shuddered to think of my girls being held hostage. "Look into my heart and see how happy and grateful I am to have you in my life and for all you do!"

"Oh, Master!" Sitting up, her face filled with joy and between sniffs and wiping at her eyes, she peppered my face with kisses. "I love you so much!"

The doctor waited patiently for several minutes while I held and comforted Calia until she calmed down. He pushed a box of tissues over and she gratefully took a couple, drying her eyes and then blowing her nose.

Truthfully, I didn't fully acknowledge all her many contributions to our home. I mean, I think we would have been happy enough without Calia there, but her presence added a lustre that made everything better.

"Aww, that's so nice of you to say that," she murmured happily.

I blinked, positive I hadn't actually verbalized those thoughts aloud. A glance at Dr. Jehantli's puzzled look, and I knew I hadn't said a word!

You scamp! You aren't supposed to be reading me like that!

She giggled. *But Master, your thoughts so often fill me with joy!*

Clearing his throat, Dr. Jehantli said, "I don't mean to intrude, but I wasn't finished. There are some additional questions yet."

Staying on my lap, Calia turned to face him. "I'm sorry, Doctor. Your question took me by surprise. I should have dealt with my feelings and my actions, and I didn't. Instead, I put them aside, meaning to get to them later, and all too conveniently, later never came. I believe that violence diminishes us all, and while I may injure another when forced to do so, I cannot knowingly take the life of another sentient being. I recognize that others feel differently, and accept that everyone has their own path to follow. What else would you like to know, Doctor?"

"The man you injured and drove away, how far away would you estimate you were from him?"

"I'm not sure," she answered thoughtfully. "Huh. Let's see... there was the length of a bed between us, but not much more. Seven feet, maybe? Does it make a difference?"

"Well, the fact that you are able to do it at all is astounding. Not only did you read his thoughts and intent, you blinded and safely disarmed him, and you made him afraid without having to physically touch him, thus driving him away. Did you attempt to make him afraid in any way?"

"No, I did not." A look of revulsion flashed across her face. "That would make me little better than him! Mental contact with those as depraved as that... well, it leaves me feeling... dirty."

Dr. Jehantli cleared his throat. "I see. All right. By your account, you read his intent and nearly instantly inflicted non-fatal yet painful injuries, and the entire incident taking but a matter of two to three seconds. Do you agree?"

"That sounds accurate," Calia concurred.

"This reading of others, is this something you do all the time?"

"Of course not! I normally only do it for those who enter our home the first time, and surface thoughts. My intent is to learn their intent, to learn their secrets. Reading the thoughts of others is an invasion of their privacy, and many people would not react well to knowing that I could so easily read their intentions without their say-so. Given a chance, most people act ethically. Second, reading everyone around me would wear me out in no time, filling my head with thoughts and feelings that weren't my own. I pretty much keep my own thoughts shielded all the time."

"Really? So, without this shielding, you would be reading the surface thoughts of everyone you came into contact with? That's very interesting. Do you think if the man was further away, say twenty feet, that you could have done the same thing to him?"

Sitting up, still on my lap, she replied, "Yes. When my abilities first began to manifest, the matter of a few feet would have indeed mattered a great deal. Now? Not so much. Most psychic abilities are similar to muscles, the more they are used, the stronger they become. For me, sight and touch are valuable aids. Or, at least some things are more difficult if I'm unable to see what I want to do. Likewise, with healing, physical touch makes it much easier for me to work, to build a stronger if temporary connection with them. It helps me focus on the site of their injuries. But don't assume that what is easy or difficult for me would be the same for everyone. Just as people have differing talents in the physical and mental realm, so I feel that others might have other psychic talents manifest, and find some things that I do easily to be a struggle.

"However, it's getting easier for me to sense the presence of others even if I don't see them directly. For instance, your admin, Sergeant Nuna, has just returned to her desk after taking a short break. She's noticed the time, and she doesn't want to interrupt your meeting with us, yet she wants to remind you about your upcoming meeting with Dr. Falka to discuss the exploratory surgery scheduled for mid-morning tomorrow."

Dr. Jehantli dropped his pen onto his desk and sat back into his chair, wide-eyed.

Calia tilted her head as if in contemplation for a moment, then added, "Doctor, you need to cancel that surgery and get your patient into the nano-tanks right away. Captain Jurgo's cancer is extremely aggressive, much more than your projections have indicated. It has metastasized and already invaded both his lymph system and his liver, and has begun to attack other organs. If you wait for an opening in the schedule that you expect will happen in two weeks, there is a good chance he will be too weak to survive, even using nanotech. The Naval Service had no business making him wait so long before referring him to you."

Each sentence appeared to shock the man. For a moment, he stared at her like he'd been poleaxed. Mentally, I counted to six before he leapt to his feet, darted around his desk and flung open the door hard enough to bounce against the rubber door jam. "Nuna! Were you just now thinking I needed to get ready for my meeting with Dr. Falka?"

"Yes, Doctor, I—"

"Call Dr. Falka and have him come here to my office right away." Then he returned inside the office, closing the door behind him. "You're absolutely sure about Jurgo's condition? That's incredible. You're able to read into the future?"

Calia shook her head. "No, not like you're thinking. The future is full of probabilities if certain courses continue as they are, based on current circumstances. The future is not set in stone! And yes, I see some of your future because I've come to know you somewhat through our continued interactions. But this is most assuredly not future reading. I'm telling you the situation as it is at this exact moment, no more, no less."

Giving him a measured look, she continued. "Despite your misgivings and fears, Dr. Jehantli, you find yourself trusting me. Thank you for that. And while you think I'm overreacting to blinding an evil man who you believed deserved what happened to him, I tell you that each act of violence to others damages one's soul, and the effects of that violence ripples outward into the universe. What we do and what we project to others rebounds back to us, like waves from a stone in a pond will hit the shore and come back, weaker, but in multiple waves. That's why love and acts of kindness have positive effects on those around us and the world we live in. That man's death may have been necessary in order for us to live, but nonetheless a soul-debt has been incurred and will eventually need to be paid. As for Captain Jurgo, a new bioscan will confirm what I've said."

He looked like he wanted to say something, but Calia stood, pointing her finger at him. "Don't let your desire to learn about more these abilities override your better judgment. You have a good working relationship with me and Lord Kandikan. Be patient, and be aware of the limits imposed on this exploration. Contain your excitement and remember you are a nobleman, a man with a good heart who enjoys helping others. You became a doctor to help others, and you have made a positive difference in scores of lives. Remember those things and you will not find yourself tempted by a decision that you would come to deeply regret."

"Are you our future?" he asked, earnest hope in his eyes.

Calia pursed her lips. "I'm not sure. I don't believe so. It's... that's too far ahead for me to see with any clarity. Some people would welcome the changes you envision, but even more would become terrified, thinking that what makes them human would be lost by having these powers. Indeed, untrained and without restraint, one could cause a lot of unintended damage. And too many would let their greed and selfishness corrupt them, seeing these abilities as a means to enslave others more completely. And before you protest that humans can learn to do better, imagine my powers in the hands of someone like Minister Supay."

I cringed at such a notion.

Dr. Jehantli blanched, swallowed, then nodded. "You've given me much to think about, Calia. Thank you for what you've shared, and for your insights. I also suspect Captain Jurgo will owe his life to you as well."

He opened the door again, and I stood up next to my lover and friend. At that thought, her hand brushed against me, conveying a glimpse of how much she loved me. At the doorway, Calia paused, holding out her hand to Dr. Jehantli. He blinked, gave a small smile as he took her hand gently, turned it palm down and bowed over it, air-kissing her knuckles like she was a noblewoman, and she beamed at him. When I held out my hand to him, his smile grew and he relaxed as we shook hands.

"Thank you both. This has been very enlightening. And I'll let you know about Calia's project as soon as I hear anything."

Outside his office, I noticed Mack talking quietly to Nuna while Akama scanned around. Calia's warnings had been overheard, and that lapse wasn't a good thing. I saw Nuna glance at us, then nod at Mack as we left the area.

Taking Calia's hand in mine, we walked through the busy hospital halls. I asked her, using the Vedan language, "What made you think something had been done to me?"

"I became aware of your brother, Bilan, and the origin of his new wife during our stay with your parents earlier this year. By the way, you did a very honorable thing for him. You correctly saw that killing their mother to protect his sons would have eventually destroyed him. As for you, while you certainly enjoy our carnal delights, and we enjoy yours, I was also aware of your regrets about your ability to make love to us. I've been paying attention, and I realized you were making love much less frequently. Your overall energy is also slightly reduced. I had no choice but to conclude something physical had changed. Because the medical scans reported everything as normal, it meant a new baseline had been established, and that in turn meant the change had to be genetic."

"I can't fault your logic. You think my original records at the Air Militia facility will be different?"

"I do," she answered.

Shaking my head, I said, "If you're right, it'll mean someone's had their own agenda for some time, and playing favorites based on some ugly fantasy about racial or even tribal purity. A lot of the old and rich families don't have a lot of children because the more children you have, the more you have to divide the inheritance. Their elitist agenda is at odds with their disparate goals, to have the so-called lower classes available to keep them in their lives of luxury and fight in their wars. As if we don't have enough to contend with. I love this country, but the more I learn, the harder that love is tested. If this got out, it could cause a lot of civil unrest."

"I agree," she said.

"This might not have anything to do with Supay," I added. "He's not the only player in politics that's hampering our nation. I believe in the Empire. However, there's no escaping the fact that Roshan and his feckless rakes are but the tip of the iceberg."

TJSkywind
TJSkywind
979 Followers