Still Waters

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll get it," Jenny said and walked to the hall. They heard her pick up the receiver "Hello, 845826; yes, this is Jenny, Joe's daughter. Hi Aunty Stephanie, yes, I'll get Mum and Iris." Jenny walked back into the kitchen, raised her eyebrows, flicked the speakerphone switch and placed the phone on the table.

"Hello... Hello?"

"Hello, Stephanie, this is Sarah, and this is Iris," Sarah looked at Iris and nodded.

"Stephanie, this is Iris, it's good to hear your voice."

"Hi Sarah, Hi Iris, please call me Steph, only my mum ever called me Stephanie, and then usually only when I did something wrong."

"OK Steph, we know James told you about Joe and us, we're sorry we have to have our first conversation like this."

"Good old Joe, he was always trying things on. He was a little menace as a kid. Mum used to tan his hide regularly. He was always up to something."

"Well it seems he was really up to mischief over here, whilst we were utterly clueless about his double life."

"Sounds like Joe. But he was also a hard worker, if there was something interested him, he'd get right into it and find out everything he could about it. He was a pretty brainy bugger as well."

"Sounds about right Steph, by the way we've got a couple of little ears here, so we might need to be careful."

"Gotcha! I'll try to be as discreet as I can, but Joe was a contrary... man for sure. Not that I want to knock the guy, but, well he was my brother and I'm allowed too, alright. Anyway the reason for the call is for me to find out when the funeral will be. I'm owed a fair amount of leave, but I don't want to impose or get in the way so..."

"No, No Steph, come when you can and stay as long as you want. Iris and I would love to have you come stay for a while, wouldn't we Iris?"

"You bet, Steph it would be so good to have you here, please just get a flight and we'll look after the rest."

"Now that's really cool, OK, I'll get into work tomorrow and sort something out. I'll ring you tomorrow arvo, no worries."

"When?"

"Oh sorry, tomorrow afternoon, sorry the Strine just slips in, although I try not to let it."

"OK thanks Steph, speak again tomorrow, take care."

The line went dead and without realising it, they let out a collective sigh; then blushing started to laugh. Harry and Mark, not getting the joke looked at the others in despair. Shaking their heads they went to the back door and out into the early morning sunshine.

"We need to speak to the Undertakers today," said Iris enjoying the sun warming her face.

"Yes we do don't we, I'll have breakfast and phone them." Sarah said, turning her face to the sun also.

"Tea and toast OK ladies?" Linda asked as she too looked towards the blue sky overhead.

"Perfect,"

"Absolutely."

Linda left the two women and went to prepare breakfast. James and Jenny appeared and stood by the women. Sarah reached for Jenny's hand as James reached for Iris's.

"This will all work out," Iris said, feeling James hand squeeze hers.

"Of course it will," said James, "You and Mum are in charge, it'll be perfect."

"Breakfasts ready," Linda called from inside the kitchen.

"And as long as that's the case, we'll be able to meet any problem."

Jenny grinned and squeezed Sarah's hand, "Mum and Iris, superheroes."

"Stupid earholes?" said Mark, emerging from the doorway and looking at the four grown-ups.

"I think he's got us tagged," sighed Iris, ruffling his hair with her free hand.

They stood together, knowing that's how they would be from that day forward.