Still Waters Ch. 11

Story Info
And so the story ends.
7.2k words
4.68
3.6k
7
Story does not have any tags

Part 11 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/19/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers

Thank you all for being so patient with me. I gave up on this story because I couldn't figure out how to add hot romantic scenes to this story. Then yesterday, I decided to just finish the story. The characters deserve to have an ending, and so do you all. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. Now I present the final chapter of Still Waters.

Chapter 11

Ryelle entered his office to find Bertha and Jebutu waiting. He sat and asked, "So Bertha, how do you want to handle this?"

Bertha sighed, "Aggie hates me. She's hated me for centuries. Why, I don't know, nor do I care. However, she has tried to cause me harm simply because if her own insecurities. That is one thing that I won't tolerate."

She took a deep breath, "Let me face her at the stones. I want to fight, not to the death, but surrender. If she wins, I'll relocate." Bertha looked away and exhaled. She hate to choose her next words carefully. "Leaving Jackson might be better for me. But If I win, I want Aggie to go. Her hatred of me has not only endangered the people that are bringing in necessary supplies, but all of the members of the pack. I ask Alpha that you let us handle this the old way."

Ryelle was speechless. It had been decades since two wolves fought at the stones. So barbaric was the last fight, that his father, Alfonso, banned fighting there from that point on.

"Bertha, I cannot agree to that. However, I will give you a chance to meet Aggie and then we'll discuss this and find an amendable solution. I must admit, at first I dismissed her claims, but she has evidence of sabotage and that I can no longer ignore. I truly believe it has nothing to do with you, because I know you, but I have an obligation to hear her out. She can present her evidence and you will have a chance to defend yourself. Once we have met, I will then decide the next course of action." Ryelle explained.

"Alpha, I know I am not the easiest person to get along with. But I am a loyal and faithful member of this pack. From the day Jackson formed, I pledged my loyalty to your father and I do the same to you. But, this woman, Aggie, has been against me since she was turned after the last slaves were freed. She has her reasons, but that time has passed and this issue needs to be settled." Bertha took a deep breath. "I will do this your way. But this matter must be settled once and for all. If we can't find a true solution, I beg of you to allow me handle this in a way I see fit."

Bertha waited and gave the Alpha a moment to consider her request. She had been a part of Jackson all of her life since becoming Were. She was here when slave hunters would invade the pack lands in search of runaways. She was instrumental in helping the ones that made it to them find ways to freedom. She was integral in helping sneak medicine in when the pack fell ill. Decades ago, before meeting Willie, Bertha along with a few others kept the Jackson pack alive. Now, after all of this time, Aggie Amelia, this she wolf that Bertha stood between captivity and death on numerous occasions, accused her of harming the pack. Alpha Ryelle did not want to let her confront the woman, but he knew that in situations like this, dominance had to be shown.

It was not long ago that Madam Alpha Tasha had to establish her dominance against a she wolf. Did Alpha Ryelle really think this was a situation a discussion would take care of? Bertha took a deep breath. This would end one way or another. Was it time for Bertha to let her true nature rise and remind the women and men of this pack why she was so feared? No, stand down, a soft voice whispered.

Bertha was still. There was a time to attack, and there was a time to listen. She needed to confront Aggie, but not in a vicious manner. The time for out and out war had passed. Now was the time to try diplomacy. As Bertha left the alpha home, she turned left. Aggie would be at home now. She would probably be surrounded by her friends, but that no longer mattered. Enough time had passed. It was time to settle this issue between them. For the first time in decades, Bertha DuPont would confront an antagonist with no aggression and vileness; she would actually listen.

****

Evangeline and Declan were home. Once they arrived they stood with Bertha. Evangeline and Declan decided to go to their apartment and unpack. Momma was with the Alphas and she needed to meet with them alone.

Evangeline did not like this. Many pack members disliked Momma because she was not one they cold joke around with, but to accuse her of something criminal wa s a whole different level..

"Momma, momma, we're Declan and I are here." The meeting with the Alpha should have ended a while ago. Momma should be back home now. Evangeline called as she entered. No answer. Momma, where are you? Evangeline sent.

Hi sweetie, go back home. I'm visiting an old friend right now. I'll see you two at dinner. Bertha replied. Then she knocked on Aggie's door.

"Hmm, that's odd. Well," she smiled facing Declan. "Let's go home and see what we can get into." Evangeline whispered.

Declan nodded, "Yes ma'am, as you wish he replied. Kissing his mate passionately, Declan wanted to make sure she never had a moment's doubt of his love.. She did not have to ask twice. Declan was determined to be the best mate any woman could ever want. He was resolute in his desire to give his Evangeline everything she needed.

Meanwhile, Aggie opened her door. She was surprised to find the one woman she hated standing at her door.

"What are you doing here Bertha DuPont? I have nothing to say to you." Aggie added, moving to slam the door in Bertha's face.

Shoving the door back, Bertha replied, "I have plenty to say to you, Agatha. You lied on me, to the alphas, to the pack. You know I have nothing to do with those pills being brought into the pack. I had no knowledge of this and you know that. " Bertha insisted.

Aggie laughed. "Really, you were in charge of the transit office. You oversee packages that enter and leave daily. For over two months, this substance was brought in. You even took gifts from the people that dropped the packages off. Have you not noticed an increase of young males being rushed to medical? Why is that, Bertha? At first, I said nothing, but when I tried to warn you, you told me to mind my own business and leave yours alone. So you left me no choice, I had to report to the alphas. You were there yesterday when two cases of pills came in and vanished just as quickly.

A few weeks ago when I was out for a run, I saw a small band males of twitching. I stopped to help them and realized they were high. I know where they got it from. I know you gave them the pills. You may not have handed them to them, but you made them accessible. So you can pretend to be all high and mighty if you want, Bertha, but I know the truth about you. Now the rest of the pack will too.

Bertha was stunned. She was unaware of this substance being brought in, but when she realized something was wrong, she took steps to stop it. She should have alerted Alpha Ryelle when she realized what was going on with the young members of the pack.

Bertha paused. "Aggie, I apologize. I should have listened to you. Honestly, I thought... Well, what I thought does not matter. Tomorrow, when we face the alphas, I'll admit my mistake. I'll accept whatever action he decrees."

Agatha was silent. The great Bertha DuPont conceding and admitting that she was wrong. Was the world about to end? Aggie had waited decades to finally have something on her nemesis, but for some reason this victory seemed hollow. Even though Bertha was in charge, Agatha knew she had nothing to do with the illegal imports. This was something orchestrated by someone else. She sighed. She had to make a choice. Let Bertha take the blame or risk being attacked by her nephew.

Bertha turned to walk away. She wanted to go spend the evening with her daughter and son-in-law. They'd just returned yesterday and for tonight, she could simply be with her family. She could have one more night of normal before her whole world exploded.

As Bertha walked, she recalled Aggie saying she'd taken gifts from them. The drivers would often bring in assorted nuts, because they knew she was fond of them, but she didn't think much of it. She never gained anything from the illegal substances. However, although the nuts were not that big of a deal to her, to someone looking in from the outside, it could appear to be damning.

"Momma, you're back. I missed you." Evangeline greeted her with a hug. Bertha hugged her back a little too long.

"Momma, what's wrong?" Evangeline asked. Declan joined her.

"Please sit, I have something to tell you." Bertha stated. Then she explained what had been going on over the past month.

"Momma, how were you supposed to know what they were smuggling in? You checked for the cargo that was ordered by the pack. Why would you think to look for pills?" Evangeline demanded.

"We're going with you when you face the Alphas. We won't let you go through this alone." Declan declared. He knew his new mother. She was innocent. Someone else did this and she was the scapegoat that they were blaming.

"Declan, Evangeline, thank you. It was my responsibility to inspect all incoming cargo. I failed. I'll see what the alpha decrees. But for tonight, let's just go to dinner."

As the family entered the dining room, everyone hushed. Bertha and her small family sat down and proceeded to eat their dinner.

Alpha Ryelle and Tasha entered. Ryelle was worried. He knew Agatha hated Bertha. He knew that if the she wolf ever got the chance to smear the woman's name, she'd take it. However, the evidence was damning. Tomorrow, they'd meet and he and the betas would decide how to handle this.

*****

Simon Roundtree, stood at his home at Bertrand. His heart was heavy. He'd loved Bertha for so long and decades ago, he watched her mate with another male. Now Bertha had decreed that she had no intentions of joining another mate. His heart hurt. He did not ask for much, but having Bertha finally be with him was all her ever truly wanted.

Looking towards the heavens, he asked for a miracle. Help him to convince Bertha to be his mate and come home with him. Lightning flashed in the clouds, and he felt cold. He felt a deep sense of dread. He needed to return to Jackson. Something was wrong. That night, Symeon Roundtree, sent to his Alpha and received permission to return to Jackson and claim his mate.

Alpha Bertrand would contact Alpha Ryelle to let him know Simon was returning. Hopefully, he'd arrive early in the morning.

Ryelle and Tasha finished dinner and retired to their room. Wrapping her arms around her mate, Tasha spoke. "You and I both know that Bertha had nothing to do with this. She did her job. The drugs were hidden in the cargo that was brought in. She won't see it that way, will she?"

"No, she will take full blame. I know someone else did this. I just wish she'd alerted me before it got to this." Ryelle sighed. "If she takes the blame, she will have to go. I will have to banish Bertha from Jackson."

Tasha froze. Jackson was the only home Bertha had ever known "Ryelle, surely, there must be something else you can do.

Ryelle dropped his head. What would father do? He brought Willie and Bertha here. She fought by his side, a true soldier. She did not deserve to be expelled from her home. "I want to talk with Jebutu and Damian. Love, I will be back." Then he sent for his brothers. Jebutu and Damian met him immediately.

"Jebutu, Damian, thanks for meeting me. Bertha has been accused of allowing pills to enter the compound. The thing is everything in this accusation seems true. I've only recently heard of these pills. The dates, the shipments, strange boxes appearing from nowhere are all coincidental. Several of our males and females have required medical help for reactions to this unknown substance. Medical alerted me and I've assigned junior betas to keep watch for anyone distributing them, but they have said nothing. All of this started a few months ago when Bertha was moved to transit." Ryelle exhaled. "It's almost as if, someone was waiting for a chance to infiltrate the pack. In my heart of hearts, I truly don't believe Bertha had anything to do with this, but the truth is right now, she is the only one that can be blamed for letting the stuff in."

"I know Bertha, and she did not do this willingly. Yes, she made mistakes, but after all she's gone through, it's understandable. Look have you talked to the kids to see where they got the pills from?" Damian argued.

"Yes, and they clam up. They won't talk. I've even threatened them with severe punishment, but they won't budge." Ryelle explained, exasperated.

"Remember, we've dealt with something like this before. The threat was from inside the pack. Someone has a stronghold on the pack members, and is moving under our radar. " Jebutu exhaled. "I'll find out who's behind this."

We have a pack meeting tomorrow. If Bertha takes the blame, you two know what we decreed after father died. I'll have to ban her from the pack." Ryelle explained.

Bertha DuPont was one of the oldest members of Jackson. That alone earned her respect.

"What does Bertha say?" Jebutu asked.

"She adamantly stated that the accusation is fabricated. She even asked to face Agatha at the stones. But today, I received more information. These pills only came through when Bertha was in charge." Ryelle exhale. "Agatha made sure to document all of the deliveries." All three men fell silent. How could they protect the only living matriarch in the pack.

Jebutu and Damian shared a look. If Agatha was so meticulous about deliveries, then she had more knowledge about where they originated from and who they were being delivered to. Before Bertha stood before the alphas tomorrow, they would found out what else Agatha knew.

"Tomorrow morning, we must talk with our pack member. If she is hiding something, then we will expose it." Damian stated quietly. Jebutu nodded in agreement. They'd find out the truth and put an end to this nonsense.

Ryelle returned home, when he received a call from Bertrand. Simon Roundtree was returning to Jackson. Ryelle wanted to refuse. The last thing Jackson needed right now was a guest.

"What's wrong?" Tasha asked feeling a sense of trepidation down their mate bond.

"Nothing, Simon Roundtree is returning. I know he fancies Bertha, but she has been adamant on not choosing a new mate right now. If he learns of the issue we are having, I'm afraid he might use it to convince her to mate with him."

Tasha sighed, "Is that a bad idea? If she mates with Simon, she will become a member of Bertrand. She has a history with Alpha Bertrand and Madam Serna"

"True, but I don't' want her being pushed into something she may not want. It's bad enough that we even have to deal with this. If I could find out who's really responsible, I'll deal with them directly." Ryelle sighed. He knew Bertha had nothing to do with this. She was being set up, but there was no way to prove she was unaware of the contraband.

Simon arrived at Jackson early. He reported to the alpha home where he received a cool reception.

"Mr. Roundtree, Alpha Ryelle was expecting you. He has your room prepared. Follow me this way sir. The alpha will join you in the morning for breakfast." Thomas greeted him.

Simon relaxed. He was tired and it was too early to wake anyone. He was surprised Thomas was waiting for him to arrive. Simon retired to his room. Something was off. He could feel the tension. He needed to talk to Bertha and make sure she was alright. Something wasn't quite right here anymore.

The next morning Simon reported to breakfast, He noticed how subdued and quiet everyone was. He also realized Bertha was not here. He stood to go find her when Ryelle entered, "Simon, welcome back to Jackson. Let's eat breakfast, then we can talk."

Simon nodded, but waited for Bertha to arrive. As he ate, he watched as wolves entered, Then as he was about to give up, Bertha and her daughter walked in. She looked worried. Simon frowned. What is going on? "Excuse me Alpha. I want to speak to an old friend."

"No, wait Simon. Some things have occurred and I need you to understand Bertha may not want to entertain you right now." Ryelle explained.

Simon paused, "What is going on with my mate?" He demanded.

Ryelle stiffened, "I was not aware that Bertha had chosen a mate, Simon. I think you need to remember that you are a guest in our home. Now, I'm asking you to wait and let her acknowledge you. Please don't disturb her while she is dining with her family."

Simon froze. It was apparent that his presence was not truly welcomed at Jackson right now. However, if something was going on with Bertha he was not leaving her side.. "Very well, Alpha, I forgot my manners for a moment. I'll await your orders."

Tasha froze. Bertha, please come to our table. Someone wishes to speak to you.

Bertha looked up and right into the eyes of Symeon. "Excuse me, Evangeline, Declan, I need to speak with the guest at the alpha table.

"Alpha Ryelle, Madam Tasha, good morning. Akeemo, good morning, son. Simon, I see you've decided to visit again." Bertha greeted coolly.

Simon relaxed, but only a little. It was obvious that something was going on here. "Bertha, you know I love this place. Besides it has the prettiest view."

Bertha smiled, "It's good to see you too old friend. Let's talk later." She returned to her family.

Simon finished his breakfast and went to Ryelle's office. "What is going on with Bertha?"

Ryelle exhaled. Most of the time he was leveled headed, diplomatic, but this morning he was under enough stress. "Simon, you are welcomed to visit, but don't think you have the right to question me about members of my pack. Now, I'm not sure why you are here, but we have a pressing matter we must deal with this morning. Please feel free to explore Jackson and enjoy your visit.

Simon was stunned. Ryelle had never spoken to him in such a harsh manner before. Something was definitely wrong.

Someone knocked, "Alpha, the Betas are ready."

"If you will excuse me, Simon, I have pack issues to deal with." Ryelle walked out, leaving Simon alone in his office.

Simon, is everything alright? Bertrand asked.

Alpha, something's going on here. I'm not sure what. Simon replied.

Bertrand was silent. Respect the alpha. Stay around, but don't be intrusive. It's pack business, and you are not a pack member there.

Yes, Alpha Simon replied before ending the conversation.

Simon stood and walked to the window. He looked outside. He'd go see Bertha today. If all was well, he'd mind his own business. If not, he was not leaving her side.

*****

Ryelle met with all of his betas. "We have an issue that we will resolve this morning. As you all are aware, a substance has made its way into the compound and many of our young are becoming addicted. I've ordered the junior betas to confiscate any and all pills that they find, and if they can find out whose distributing, bring them in. Our problem is the pills are delivered through cargo. The person in charge is Bertha DuPont. I've been given evidence from another pack member showing the dates and time unchecked, or not securely checked cargo have been brought in. Bertha was the head wolf in transit in charge of letting the trucks through."

Everyone started mumbling. "Alpha, you think Bertha did this?" One beta asked.

"No, I don't think she had anything to do with it, but it happened on her watch." Ryelle explained. " She will be here at ten am to state her case. We have the evidence that shows she was aware. Also, we have others that will testify in her defense and well as in her guilt. We will listen to all sides and make an informed decision. After Bertha and her accusers leave, we will decide if she is guilty of endangering the pack. I'll call her back and deliver our decision." Ryelle explained.

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers
12