All Comments on 'Stormwatch - A Rest for the Heart'

by Duleigh

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 2 years ago

Heart pounding, gut wrenching story! The new 988 hotline for suicide prevention, similar to 911, went effective 7-16-2022. It may take a while for all locations to implement it. Thanks for your story.

5

SeanGregorySeanGregoryalmost 2 years ago

Five stars aren't enough to properly reward this emotional chapter. At times reading it was like trying to drink from a firehouse.

I was never in the military but I've been an LEO for more than three and a half decades. Having to watch someone die violently in your presence, despite anything you do trying to prevent their death, and later asking yourself "Why?" "Why am I still alive? Why am I not the one on the ground, knowing that I won't be going home at the end of this shift and that nothing is going to change that fact." Waking in the middle of the night, sodden with sweat and pulse racing after reliving some traumatic experience again for the umpteenth time in vivid dream. Tasting bile in the back of your mouth, with your head spinning and ears ringing as confusion slowly ebbs while you gradualy realize where you are, that you were dreaming. Again.

Even if you have a loving and understanding partner they can never truly understand because they've never had to face circumstances like that.

But if you are facing demons of your own, don't put it off, find someone to talk to. You're not alone, don't try to face it alone.

ShandiinAngelShandiinAngelalmost 2 years ago

Thank you for a very poignant story. Too many of our brothers and sisters in arms are in need. Losing even one of them is devastating. You have a most powerful story here. Thank you for sharing it. Not enough stars to give. 10/5

Wildbill314Wildbill314almost 2 years ago

A very excellent and powerful tale. And, unfortunately, a too real and present issue in many veteran’s lives…and many non-veterans as well. Thank you for this and maybe, we can see a chapter 2. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thank you for this beautiful story. As a Viet Nam vet, we mostly just sucked it in and went silent. I did not have as much trauma as Josh but the PTSD and survivors guilt are there lurking. My beautiful wife had been in a nine year long bad relationship and we could not break through the walls we had put up. We are still together after 52 years but we would have been so much happier if we had had proper support for our traumas. Luckily in the last year we have broken through and have a new relationship based on communication, trust, and love.

xxxtratall1xxxtratall1almost 2 years ago

As a USAF Viet Nam vet, I want to thank you for bringing PTSD to life. Our wars were different but the effects are the same.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I must agree with "wow"! Lots of tears.

I'm a non-combat vet. I managed to dodge combat by enlisting in the Navy and lucked out with east coast assignments. (Gater navy, 62 to 66). Your writing is excellent. Thanks for your service.

Gene

topofthehamtopofthehamalmost 2 years ago

Thank You Duleigh, for a for another chapter surrounding these 2 souls and I applaud your writing about PTSD. I am a Vet and when I was 19 I knew a few Nam Vets that would just breakdown like Effi for no reason. it is real. Thanks for your service my friend. I can't wait to see where you take Nico, Effi and maybe even a little Audrey in the mix. Keep up the good work!

AZTT2AZTT2almost 2 years ago

Truly amazing work with a message for us Veterans to keep up the buddy checks. Thank you

Davester37Davester37almost 2 years ago

There’s not much that I can add as praise for this fine story. I was glad to see these characters again. Thank you so much for writing their story so well, and thank you for sharing your work. I really appreciate it!

Turning502019Turning502019almost 2 years ago

As a 20+ year vet I can tell you did your homework with PTSD and survivors guilt or spoke from experience. I really connected with this story and hope there is another seeing them through.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

The ratings don’t begin to tell the story of how well this tale was done. I’m another veteran but fortunate not to suffer as many do. I would like to make a shout out to all the “Nica’s” and “Nick’s “ out there that stand by their spouses, both in their careers and their suffering. You do owe us a more light hearted sequel with flashbacks to how they met, her role in taking down corrupt VP’s and how many grandkids they end up with. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story, brought back memories of Vietnam. I was a scanner/flare kicker on AC-119K Stinger Gunships. I've had PTSD and lived with for years. Thank You for the life line numbers you gave. Call Sign Grey Ghost.

WhitewaterbumWhitewaterbumalmost 2 years ago

A great story well worth the wait.I would ginve the story a 6

dmallorddmallordover 1 year ago

Like an old Clint Eastwood movie where Ten Bears says, "There is iron in your words ...." You have spun a good tale Josie Wales. It was filled with angst as I read it—old memories of my time there in the jungles. Still wake up with night sweats and vivid dreams. Then I managed to get to about page five, thinking I would cave, but I stuck it out.

As to the story, well, the details and the nitty-gritty got a bit too detailed, and I could have done without a lot of those: dining details seemed to be over the top, conversations between the LT and the MC over the uniform attire seemed to have little to contribute to the theme. All military branches have assholes; I could have done without a bit of that and the exit duct tape and hose down. But I get the idea of leaving as a moment of celebration and camaraderie. No such stuff when I left. I kept my head down and out of sight, returning to civilian life. I wrote about a bit of that in a couple of my stories. Doing so was a mixed bag of emotions. Do I or do I not kind of thoughts. I couldn't get into the excruciating details in my writing, e.g., phantom pain for missing digits. You did that well, though.

By the end of your story, things seem to be going just too perfectly for a real-life scenario: glamorous model, paid for the trip by airfare miles, major cigar scene, future childcare provider, etc., fantastic dining descriptions, and sex with a badly damaged warrior holding up a woman with her legs around him in mid-air - not feeling the pain ... but this is Lit, so it played well as to expectations.

I appreciated the fact that you included those contact numbers for readers. Maybe some help there potentially.

As for technical aspects, I noted the HTML didn't come through the <hr> and another one I saw; I don't recall it now, but it was a three-letter coded one. In my writing, I've switched the <hr> to <center> _____ </center> and let that take its place.

'Thank you, Duleigh, for your time in service.' I had that said to me once, more than forty years after my ETS, by a Navy guy I met. It came as a shock. No one ever expressed that before then. I've tried to make that remark to those I met now. It's a sentiment that needs support for all service personnel.

Wonderer67Wonderer67over 1 year ago

I cried 2x reading this.

Great story. I was 19K (M1A1 Crewman). Thank you for the air cover, brother.

Anyone can call 988 if they’re feeling suicidal. There’s a prompt if you’re a veteran, but anyone can call.

Great story Durleigh. Thanks for pointing out the importance of loving spouses to help us heal and deal. ❤️

sm0k3alarmsm0k3alarmover 1 year ago

Another non-combat veteran here - I was a Coastie, but know people seriously hurt or killed in the line of duty, and some who took their own lives. Thank you for writing this story.

redbaron172redbaron172about 1 year ago

I had a sneaking feeling that there is more truth to this and fiction/fantasy. Very well written and laid out. Can't say been there done that but pretty close. 5++++ stars.

DrizdartDrizdartabout 1 year ago

Stunning, in many ways.

I was just young enough -- I celebrated when the radio story announced the end of active Selective Service. So I skipped the choice between joining, getting drafted, or going away. I've met some friends who wound up doing each one of those paths ... all of them experienced some important losses ... and none are willing to tell the story without prodding.

So thanks for telling this story, letting us know a bit more about what prices are being paid by those in our military forces. And thanks for the information and advocacy, perhaps inspiring a few to agree to getting a bit of help.

postoak2020postoak202010 months ago

Thank you

RVN. 68-69

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wow!! Losing my friends and myself were different but the nightmares are the same. Semper Fi

ShelbyNooneShelbyNoone5 months ago

Since 1994 living one day at a time. No matter how good life is I often wonder if tomorrow will come. (Shall be no one)

Campus77Campus775 months ago

Wow, that was heavy lifting to read. So much I didn't know and some that I had read about. Mix all that up with a love story that complicates their lives. I humbly hope that the next chapter brings happiness and sunshine into the lives of those who I have grown to love. I didn't serve and have somewhat regretted it over time. I saw many of my friends return from Nam different people. We didn't really understand the problem back then. Glad we do try to help now but the numbers are mind numbing.

Albany ChrisAlbany Chris3 months ago

Wow. What a story. In many ways. Wow.

Thank You.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDuleigh@Duleigh
Disabled veteran, learning how to live from the sidelines. Still trying to figure out if I'm writing these stories, or if these stories are writing me. I've given them free rein to flow and now it's time to start publishing, The scores reflect that you like what I am publishin...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories