Strange Bedfellows Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kalusalmost smiled at that. "You speak the truth."

Gabriella then turned to Shara. "You might even find exactly what you're looking for there."

For some reason, Shara got the impression that Gabriella was talking about more than just horses. She wasn't sure why, but she did.

* * *

Kalus did not much enjoy the next four days. Katia was always polite to him but never anything more. She never spoke a word unless asked a direct question. Her answers were terse when asked, but not quite rude and she never volunteered anything without being asked. She did everything that was asked of her, but not one thing more.

Ironically, the only real response he got from her was in bed.

Each night, she would reluctantly turn around, pull up her dress, and lay on all fours. She was always just slightly wet before he started and became fully wet very quickly. She seemed determined to resist enjoying herself but clearly had trouble doing so. At her repeated requests he didn't take long each time, but she always leaned back as he left, and more than once he thought he heard a disappointed sigh that was stifled before he could be sure.

Other than that, nothing.

No warmth.

No affection.

No hint of anything beyond resignation.

One thing that gave him hope consistently was that she would snuggle up to him every night as they slept without fail. Every morning, he woke up with Katia snuggled up against him. Every night after falling asleep she would use his torso as a pillow and hold to him like a true lover might. He hoped to see that side of her in the waking hours one day. Yet every morning as she woke, she would recoil from him and turn away.

For his part, Kalus let her have some space. He could only imagine what she was going through and didn't want to make matters worse. They would have an entire lifetime to build a relationship; he knew better than to push right now.

Kalus sighed as they set up camp on the fourth day. It was mid-afternoon and they'd stopped several hours early because of the large forest ahead of them. The plan was to start that leg of the journey in the morning in case the remnants of Timarou's army tried to ambush them in the night. He was happy about this, as the several-hour break meant he had time to visit that horse ranch and procure a mount for his wife. It would be good for the mule he'd been riding too, as he'd been tempted to draw his sword and behead it more than once. He'd never encountered a more stubborn creature.

Well, perhaps his wife.

Once camp was set up, he notified his herald where he was going and then went up to Katia. "Gabriella spoke of a horse breeder nearby. If I don't get a mount for you, I fear my mule might come to an unfortunate end."

"Okay." She nodded but said nothing else.

Kalus sighed and then led her to the horse pens. He saddled up his horse and then jumped on him. It had been five days since he'd ridden him and he missed it. Tornado obviously did too. He jumped slightly and pranced, clearly happy.

Kalus reached a hand down to Katia.

She looked at his hand, and then at him.

"We'll ride double for the short trip to the ranch." He said. It wasn't a good idea to ride double on Tornado for days on end, but it would be fine for this short trip. "If we find a horse for you, I would assume you'll ride it back."

Katia nodded and took his hand. He pulled her up and she expertly slid into place behind him, arms around his waist. Tornado nickered and half-reared in excitement. His wife held onto him all the tighter.

Kalus turned his head to look at his wife. "If you have no objection, I'll give him his speed; it's been days since he's had a proper workout."

She nodded, looking scared but seemingly determined not to show it. He smiled. She was a brave girl with a sharp mind and clever wit. He once again dearly wished that he'd been able to meet her under normal circumstances and court her properly.

Shame.

He gave Tornado a gentle prod with his heel, which was all the encouragement the warhorse needed. He took off like a bow shot.

* * *

Shara held on for dear life as the largest and most powerful horse she'd ever ridden bolted out of camp like a bat out of Saidow's Lair. She held onto Kalus for all she was worth, fearing the animal would knock her off with the sheer force of his movement. The ground seemed to actuallyshake as he ran. Each heavy footfall felt like a giant was hitting a great hammer against the earth.

It was terrifying...

...and exhilarating.

She screwed her eyes shut as the wind raced past her. Suddenly, she had a whole new respect for Kalus given his ability to ride. While Tornado was an incredibly powerful horse, there was no doubt who the master was. He guided and direct the steed with barely a gentle tug of the reins. The horse seemed to genuinely love its master too, just like everyone who knew him.

Well, every except her.

The horse ran flat out for a short time before slowing to a gentle canter, then finally a walk.

"Magnificent, isn't he?" Kalus looked back at her with the edge of a smile on his face.

"He is." She agreed and almost smiled back at him before she caught herself.

The truth was that Kalus was hard to hate.

He was firm, perhaps a bit too firm, but fair and he clearly cared deeply about his men and -- as much as it pained her to admit it to herself -- he clearly cared about her too. While she was still mad about the whipping she'd received, he had warned her clearly in advance that her punishment for disrespecting him in front of the men would be severe. He had also clearly hated doing it. She still hated him for it, but it was good to know that he was that strict with everyone, not just her.

He genuinely seemed to care too, which again made him hard to hate.

Jerk.

It wasn't long before the horse farm came into view. It looked well-kept and clean, and there was virtually no smell. About a dozen horses were out in the pasture grazing contentedly. Their coats shone and she could tell they were healthy and well-bred because of their excellent conformation.

Kalus rode up to a house set a short distance from the large barn and helped her dismount, only dismounting himself after she was safely on the ground. There was a small hitch for horses, to which Kalus tied Tornado's reins.

Before he could approach the house, the door opened and a man came out. He had sandy blond hair and looked tough as nails, but also kind. He had a short, groomed beard and short, messy hair. His clothes were mostly clean, but had the tell-tale signs of a working man at the end of the day.

"Good 'morrow to you sir." The man said with a slight bow. "I am Julian and welcome to my humble abode."

"Well met Julian; I am Kalus and this is my wife, Katia." He indicated her.

Shara was struck by how he said it. He had introduced her much as someone would introduce someone they were very fond of, or perhaps very proud of. It was strange to hear him take that tone when speaking of her.

"May Illuminar -- blessed be He -- shine his light on you both." The man said with genuine warmth and sincerity.

"And on you as well good sir." Kalus replied with equal genuineness.

"What brings you to my humble abode?" Julian asked.

"My wife requires a horse of fine breeding and quality; I've been told I could purchase one here."

Julian turned to Shara. "My lady, I would match you with a steed as fine as this one--" he indicated Tornado. "--if it were possible, though one more fitted to your stature."

The man looked at Tornado appraisingly and then smiled at Kalus. "He's truly a magnificent horse. I've rarely seen his like and I've been breeding horses my entire life."

Tornado nickered, and she wondered if perhaps the horse was smarter than she'd given him credit.

"He is the greatest of horses." Kalus agreed.

"Come, and I'll show you what we have." The man said starting towards the barn. "Were you looking for another to match your war-horse, I would be forced to apologize. However, I do have well-bred horses fit for ladies and I know you shan't be disappointed. It's a particular specialty of mine."

Kalus fell into step beside him and Shara followed just behind.

"Will you need tack as well?" Julian asked. "I don't make it, but partner with the land's most revered saddle smith. Your purse will feel lighter, but I personally guarantee you won't find a finer saddle outside a palace."

"Yes, tack as well." Kalus confirmed.

They talked of horses for a moment until the three of them had passed through the barn and entered the pasture on the other side.

Once through, Julian made a long, low whistle. The horses all perked up their ears in response as if waiting for something. He then gave a complicated sort of whistle with several notes. As one, the horses turned towards the barn and began to leisurely trot towards them. Once they had arrived, they seemed to fan themselves out in a more or less straight line, like troops standing for inspection.

"Impressive." Kalus said. "To command them so well with a mere whistle demonstrates immense skill in training."

"That's why I do it; so you can see that they are well trained." The man grinned. "Although, I was watching as you rode up and you handle your own mount as a master horseman."

Kalus inclined his head in acknowledgment.

Julian turned to Katia. "My lady, perhaps you might give them a closer look and see which one strikes your fancy."

"Oh, thank you." She nodded, then remembered her manners and gave him a slight curtsey.

"My good man, your taste in horses is nearly as good as your taste in women." Julian addressed his comment to Kalus, but it was clearly intended for her. Given that Julian had just said that he'd rarely seen Tornado's equal, she took it as high praise indeed.

* * *

Kalus watched Katia move forward towards the horses, all of whom regarded her with interest. She seemed to come alive being near them and it was good to see.

"I assume you'll want to let her ride her chosen mount before purchase?" Julian offered.

"Yes, to ensure they are a good match; I have no doubts about their training." Kalus replied. This man seemed like a master at his craft and he had no wish to slight him.

"Of course." He said, then turned towards the house. "Lyra! Come out here please."

Kalus heard the house's door open, and moments later a girl in her late teens came running into the barn from the house. Her ash-blonde hair was flying and her dress looked as pretty as the figure who wore it. The smile on the girl's face almost made the rest of her fade from view though.

"Yes Pa'pa?" She asked sweetly.

Her father tilted his head toward the horses, grinned, then nodded.

"Yes Pa'pa!" She exclaimed. Kalus was pretty sure that night itself would flee when confronted with such a joyful smile.

The girl gave a long whistle and then a shorter complicated one, which saw one of the horses in the line trotting up to her. The horse nickered affectionately as the girl nuzzled its nose with her own. Then she saddled the horse in record time, faster than anyone Kalus had ever seen. However, it was done so smoothly and naturally that she didn't even look like she was in a hurry. The girl then looped the reins over a nearby stall and walked towards Katia.

Her father sighed with a smile. "That girl will be the death of me. She's been old enough for me to give her hand for two weeks and I've had twice as many offers in that time."

"I'm not surprised." Kalus chuckled. "It appears that you don't just raise fine horses here."

Julian smiled. "The apple of my eye and all I have left of her mother. I don't know how I shall ever part with her smile."

"I have no daughters, but I can imagine it must be a trying thing to bear the thought of giving your daughter's hand."

"It wouldn't be so trying if a good man asked." He replied. "But still, it will be hard to part with her."

* * *

For the first time in nearly a week, Shara felt a modicum of happiness. The horses were all clearly very well-behaved, but it was also clear that their spirits hadn't been broken either. They were curious and seemed quite happy for the most part, though a few merely looked bored.

Only one looked unsettled.

It was a younger filly of a good size for Shara to ride, but something about her looked... skittish. She seemed jumpy and nervous, quite unlike every other horse there. Shara walked up to her slowly, intentionally trying not to spook her. The moment their eyes met, she felt her heart go out to the horse.

The filly seemed to hesitate for a moment, then it took a small step towards her. It sniffed her from afar, then took another cautious step towards hers.

"Hi there." Shara said softly.

The filly took a step back, then sniffed again.

Shara smiled at her and the filly seemed to take comfort in that. The young horse took another couple of steps forward and stretched out her neck to bring her nose close to the princess. She didn't move, but let the filly get comfortable for a moment before slowly lifting her hand.

The filly took a step back.

She slowly lifted her hand so that the filly could sniff her. Apparently deciding that Shara's hand wouldn't strike her dead, the filly took another step closer. It was calm for a moment and then the young horse looked at something over her shoulder.

Shara turned to see a young woman who was probably no older than she was. She had long ash-blonde hair which framed a young face. She looked tough, like she could take care of herself, but also kind. Her smile was incredible and made Shara want to smile with her. Something about her seemed familiar for some reason, but the princess couldn't remember from where.

The girl was smiling and held an apple out to Shara. "She likes them; give her one and she'll be your friend for life."

Shara took the apple and held it in front of her. She didn't stretch her hand out, but rather held it somewhat close to her chest. The filly could come to get it but would have to move closer. After several seconds, it did. It took two slow steps forward and very carefully took the apple without so much as brushing Shara with its teeth. The moment the apple was in its mouth, it stepped back a bit.

"What's her name?"

"This is Misty." The girl replied.

"Why is she so skittish?"

"Nighttime thunderstorm a few weeks back." She explained. "She bolted at the first thunderclap and was separated from the herd. It took us a few hours to find her, poor thing."

"Aww." Shara's heart went out to the horse who seemed like a real sweetheart, just scared.

"Do you want me to saddle her up?" The girl asked.

"Will she be okay with that?"

The girl nodded. "I've been working with her. I wouldn't recommend riding her in a thunderstorm, but otherwise she's a good horse and very gentle."

"Okay. I'm Sh-- I mean, my name is Katia."

"Lyra; pleased to meet you." The girl beamed, and her smile was indeed magnificently joyful.

Not long after, Misty was saddled and Shara mounted her. The filly didn't seem to object, having become much more comfortable with the princess since the apple. Misty was a delight to ride. Her gait was smooth and she listened well. She actually seemed to enjoy having Shara on her back, a fact that made the princess smile. She'd done precious little of that in the past week or so.

Lyra rode around the huge grassy paddock with her and the girl looked like she had been born in a saddle. They chatted about horses and she turned out to be incredibly knowledgeable. She seemed to truly love horses and Shara really liked her. She had an easy confidence that was probably born of competence, having helped her father train horses since the time she could walk.

After about twenty minutes, Lyra looked at her and cocked her head to one side. "You really like Misty, don't you?"

She nodded. "I feel like we understand each other."

Lyra gave her an appraising look. "Recent trauma?"

"Something like that."

The girl nodded. "Misty is a good horse. I normally wouldn't suggest someone buy her until I've helped to calm her down a bit more, but she seems to have taken a liking to you."

"She's a good horse." Shara said as she gently rubbed the filly's soft neck.

"That she is; shall we go see my father?"

Shara nodded and they started heading back. As they did, she noticed a large-ish group of horses riding towards the barn. The banner almost looked like...

Oh no.

She felt her heart sink.

* * *

Kalus walked swiftly but calmly back through the barn towards the incoming riders. He recognized those standards and didn't doubt that trouble was coming.

It was.

King Tyso was heading the line of about a dozen of his personal bodyguards. These men were among the best warriors in the land and they followed him everywhere to protect him. They were hand-picked from the best warriors in the army, and Kalus was proud to say that fully three-quarters of them had come from his own men.

"Kalus my boy!" The king said with a huge smile that didn't reach his eyes. "What are you up to this far away from camp?"

"A horse for my wife sire." He said with a bow.

"Ah yes, word of you riding that mule has spread through the camp like wildfire."

Julian had followed him and gave him a confused look.

"He lent his horse to his wife so she wouldn't have to walk, and refused to requisition one from his own men to replace it." The king said shaking his head. "He instead rode an unused baggage mule for four days straight."

Julian looked at Kalus and gave him a nod of respect.

"Have you settled on an animal yet?" The king asked.

Kalus knew Tyso well enough to know that nothing good would come from this meeting. The king was spoiling for a fight -- or at least a little more revenge -- and probably wouldn't be denied.

"Not yet sire." He replied.

The king shrugged and -- ignoring Julian -- rode his horse through the barn to the edge of the paddock. Katia and Lyra were just arriving back at the barn. The moment Katia's horse saw the king, it stopped short. Kalus instantly took a liking to the filly; not only did it seem to like Katia, it apparently had excellent instincts about other people as well.

"Oh ho, who have we here?" The king said as he undressed Lyra with his eyes.

The girl gave him an icy stare, but made no reply.

"Oh, this one has spirit." Tyso said as he rode his own horse around Lyra's, completely ignoring Katia and even rudely forcing her to get out of the way. To his wife's credit, she expertly had her horse walk sideways to avoid the king's war horse as he looked at Lyra

"Good firm seat too." He said with a lewd grin.

No one would think he was talking about the ash-blonde girl's ability to remain in a saddle.

"I like a girl with a good firm seat." He said as he continued to circle her, ever closer. To the girl's credit, she was nearly ignoring him and her horse was also the picture of composure. Seemingly neither horse nor rider were perturbed by the king and enormous war horse that was far too close for decorum; not to mention where his eyes were.

"You, horse master." The king finally said to her father. "How long since she came of age?"

"I didn't say she was." Julian replied calmly, but coolly. Apparently he had the sense to keep his calm when faced with the king of an invading army.

The king didn't seem bothered that the horse master was insinuating that Lyra was under-aged, even though she wasn't of course. He rode over to Kalus and said in a 'whisper' that everyone could hear. "She'd look great in my bed, wouldn't she Kalus old boy?"

"That's possible." He replied diplomatically.

For years Kalus had been very careful to stay off the king's 'shit list' as the men called it. Tyso might be an excellent judge of character, but his own was severely lacking. The commander had seen countless men fall under his ire and none had come out of it well. A few hadn't come out of it at all.