All Comments on 'Strange Car in the Driveway - Dude'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 200 Comments (Page 2)
Rw43Rw43almost 2 years ago

I like the way you express your protagonist's thoughts--except for the silly present tense aspect. Are we on Dragnet? Are you building suspense through your detailed descriptions of microactions? Not gonna lie, sometimes it works, but other times it's just...distracting.

<>

So you're completing someone else's story in which you found immense conflict that the original author had left untapped. I've got to admit that, as much as I enjoyed the exercise of reading your work, it struck me as much ado about nothing. If Gary had a community driveway that strange cars park in frequently (like my apartment complex), his humiliation would have been temporary at worst. And for all his embarrassment about "What will the neighbors think?", there's no evidence he ever interacted with them. So, who cares?

<>

But then I remembered a period during my marriage when I used to find--well, foreign cars in my driveway. Oh, I knew who it belonged to--it was the wife of a church friend. Whenever I got home I had to calm the angry tempest that she had roiled my wife to become even after the woman skedaddled upon my arrival. How come I didn't provide my family health care? What was I doing for retirement? Why was I working multiple jobs? How come we didn't get free child care? Every question, I answered the same thing: because I'm not in the Navy like her husband is.

<>

After about 4 of these arguments I finally went on the offensive. I asked my wife why that other wife doesn't get to see her husband every night. Every week. Sometimes even every month. Oh, yeah, because he's in the Navy, deployed for long stretches of time. How come her husband picked the church even though he's unable to attend very often. And how come her husband picks his wife's friends for her, including which friends to go spend time with when he's deployed. Because he's in the Navy, and he can't trust her to make wise choices about the people in her life while he's gone.

<>

That argument helped her see that not only are there pro's as well as con's in every situation, she had assumed the church wife had chosen to be her friend because she liked her. Once she realized that wasn't true--the husband had pushed the wife toward my wife because she was a "safe" influence--my wife felt free to respond honestly to the troublemaker.

<>

The foreign car showed up in my community driveway much less frequently after that.

<>

So I'm basically saying that yes, even without adultery, the people who invade your family's space can cause incredible turmoil that your spouse should have anticipated. But yet she didn't. And even love can't open her eyes to all the shenanigans some people pull.

<>

So, yes, I buy the premise that the conflict was worth exploring further. And a close reading tells us that 6 pages might seem overly long, but your total timeline on your part of the story was only about 30 days. It is reasonable for a serious marriage conflict to be corrected within that time frame.

<>

It did seem that Gary had to check the boxes of all the LW critics before he could move forward with a resolution, which really bothers me with where we are as a commenting community.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 2 years ago

I'll give it 5 stars just for effort and all the work the MC went to for his revenge. There could have been more and better revenge but the reconciliation kind of shot that all to hell. Maybe we should go back to the the old days when somebody did something really stupid they tared and feathered them ran them thru town and then out of it. The only way you stop society from making really stupid choices somebody has to be punished and sooner or later stupid activities become socially unacceptable. As said in another good people don't choose when to be virtuous!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I thought it was pretty good considering the author tried to keep the "players" the same. All in all, I would have given it a 4.5 or maybe even a 5, but felt that the professor got off too lightly and was allowed to retire. It's hard to write a sequel to an existing story, when the character's parameters have already been established, and you sir did a great job.

I was hopping to hear that Reg got a broken leg or 2, besides the internal injuries he got from Sal. Still wondering how much money Sal got from Reg since he was never able to return the car.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69almost 2 years ago

Nice finish to a story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Stupid sequel to the even more stupid original story. What a waste of time. 2 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A bit too much here. Original was 2 pages. This was 6 pages. A long read that was good in parts, not so hot in others.

I rate it a fading 3 stars. Fading because it could have easily been 4 star effort with tighter and more condensed story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What a miserable story. Classic case of taking a bad situation and making it worse. Wife is an immature, lightweight, but not malicious. Husband is annoyingly obsessive and indecisive churned . For gripes sake, if you can’t grant her some Grace from her stupidity then for cripes sake cut bait and put both of your lame asses out of your collective misery, already. And please stop whining about what a creepy shit Reg is and just go kick ass. Way too muchwheel spinning and talk for just three losers. A long train to nowhere. Tiresome.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Narrator is a tiresome “woe is me” type, determined to be a victim, step up or step out and stop filling up six pages of whining. Geez dude.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I really like your style, keep writing. Thanks for your time and effort. KS

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I liked it !!!

Yes it was long and wordy , but I think it would have appeared rushed if it were shorter .

5 * from me .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Good story, strange ending.

SirCarlSirCarlalmost 2 years ago

Except for Three Square Meals this is one of the best I have read. The story was very well thought out, written, and presented. Congratulations and keep writing!

OvercriticalOvercriticalalmost 2 years ago

One nit-wit story deserves another so this author had to add it on. I found the original story stupid but at least it was only 2 pages long. After 2 pages of this "sequel" I's had enough. My patience is exhausted and I'll rate it 1* and move on.

After I wrote that I read a couple of comments. I really find it hard to believe that this was top grade material and probably says more about the commenters than the author.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyalmost 2 years ago

I am a bona fidas BTB reader on this site. But I have to say, you are a world class asshole, My sympathies transferred to your wife as the story progressed. She did a bad thing, but never came close to being truly unfaithful. You became the awful person in this story gradually along the way. Still, kept my interest, 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

After I wrote that I read a couple of comments. I really find it hard to believe that this was top grade material and probably says more about the commenters than the author.

Note to overcritical:

1. I seldom comment on stories.

2. This is my first and last on this particular story.

3. I have not read any other comments than the one referenced herein.

4. Might I suggest that is you and your comments that are indeed, suspect?

5. Mental help is only a phone call away.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowalmost 2 years ago

There's unfaithful and then there's UNFAITHFUL!

She was definitely unfaithful - and was damn close to the upper-case one. I liked the fine line you walked, here... redemption and reconciliation was warranted in this case, IMHO and the slightly-burned-bitch learned a valuable lesson.

EdgeOfSundownEdgeOfSundownalmost 2 years ago

Sort of an unwritten rule here that when a writers claims "Relax, it's just a story" it ends up a shitty reconciliation...

clarkgarbleclarkgarblealmost 2 years ago

Good story. Re Overcritcal and his overly critical post I’d call him Overcaffeinated

AethurAethuralmost 2 years ago

It's a well written story, though there are just too many plot points that you just wave away at the end (like the teacher and the former boss). I also felt there were parts that could be tightened up or removed entirely to streamline the story more.

Neither the husband nor the wife are likeable characters. 4.15*

GhostdogginGhostdogginalmost 2 years ago

Overcritical live up to their screen name. Couple things I don't really agree with but it's not my story

vickitvohiovickitvohioalmost 2 years ago

you've proved the saying that" if you write enough pages, apparently every story will turn into a raac.

colescuttlecolescuttlealmost 2 years ago

Totally, completely, ridiculously unbelievable, and I suspended my disbelief unconditionally. That's what good writing is all about.

payenbrantpayenbrantalmost 2 years ago

A very fun little ride! Believably unbelievable....something a good fiction should be. I hope the author who wrote the first one endorses this ending.

Sincerely,

Payenbrant

Tarloso2Tarloso2over 1 year ago

Well done..was initially worried but enjoyed the story.. Needed a little more about the old job fallout and revenge on the professor would have been nice

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

it was stupid prank but she had her turned by some smooth talking guy ,i am it worked out for them great story i could not stop reading 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wuss

rn2711rn2711over 1 year ago

A truly good ending to the story. All the disgust I felt about Vera's prank is explained here. A wife who does not understand her husband's feelings.

Maybe just one small glitch. Vera says in her letter the car is junk. But I understand why you changed this part.

davezqdavezqover 1 year ago

Honestly addresses the feelings of both wife and husband in this complex situation. Doesnt go for easy answers or stereotypic responses. Well done.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Speakers?

As to the wife, bitch is crazy. Run.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Having the crowd there when he got home was not a good plan. Great writing. Not sure I'd have gone with the speakers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well written but rather ridiculous and scarcely believable revenge saga. Vera's 'prank' may have been thoughtless and cruel but it couldn't have happened to a more deserving recipent. During all Gary's whining about how hurt he was and her 'possible' infidelity he never once halted his petty revenge to think about the effect his behaviour was having on his kids.

I'm usually quite keen on reconciliations but I think in this case Vera would be much better off without this dick.

LA

cindycbegoodcindycbegoodover 1 year ago

Just ugh! First your not completing the original story, not that it even needed completing. Your just making up a whole new story with entirely new twisted facts using the Ed Riders carefully crafted characters. In the real story there was zero reason to believe the wife was cheating. None. The professor didn't assign anything nefarious, just to write a play. Yet your husband goes ballistic on everyone for reasons that weren't in the original story that your pretending to continue nor in your brand new story.

If your going to claim to be adding to a story then you need to stick to the core facts. If on the other hand you want to make your own story, which was so patheticly silly that I couldn't make it through the third page, then please don't be too lazy to make up your own characters and beginning. For copying a story then warping it into something totally different and ridiculous - one star.

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

I still have not figured out if she fucked Reg or not. He was trying. She confessed to making out at his place. Inquiring minds need to know. 5 stars

SteelPaperTSteelPaperTover 1 year ago

5*

I've had issues with some of your writng, mostly style and the display of emotions, but in this one you really took the characters of the original story forward, while at the same time compounding some of the logical highlights form the original (the get-together at the diner).

Some aspects of the revenge were somewhat farfetched, but basically credible nevertheless.

I REALLY love the ending with the wife for once realizing what went down and acting upon it, even though that ist THE single most unbelievable aspect of this yarn, since that is something women just don't do.

BTW: There is nothing in the original story that would really rule out this prank being just a brazen attempt to hide a real affair in plain sight.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

I read your first part again and I remember the original. I always thought he went to far in his original response. Some authors dealt with that by creating a real sexual affair. This author kept it mostly emotional. The wife needed a wake up, but I have to wonder if it couldn't be given with less drama. That said, the author didn't start that ball rolling and they dealt with it credibly. The wife just dug her hole deeper every time she had a chance to stop. The whole story strikes me as odd given that the wife is so needlessly foolish and he blows a small thing into a big thing (with her help). Still, I liked the ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well done, not counting some errant typos...

...and only the brsin-dead who've never written anything would piss & moan about them !

EastCoaster

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story line. Well done. Keep writing.

XYZ

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. Maybe a little drawn out, but still great. Hope you keep writing stories..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I'll give this a grade of 4.6 only for writing ability.

GRADE FOR THEME AND EXECUTION A 4 BUT SHOULD probably be a 3.5

In my opinion from the contents of the story this WIFE is damn Lucky she is still married.

OLDFART --- yes I read it with care

CindyTVCindyTVover 1 year ago

Thank you for putting a nice ending to this story. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a pleasure to read even the second time. I love it when a writer develops the character(s) as he writes the confrontation scenes. It takes a lot of planning and skill to pull this off seamlessly. Thanks for sharing and your efforts…

GrassIsGreenerGrassIsGreenerover 1 year ago

This was a great finish to the original

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well conceived and written. I'm following this writer with great interest.

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

It looks like I've read this story ending several times and commented each time. LOL I never mentioned that my version of the ending was one of my first stories. My first attempt had the hero rush down to the Dennys with the sledgehammer and smash Reg's head in front of everyone. Only to be executed by two police officers who eating in the restaurant at the time. LOL Literotica wouldn't publish that version. My versions are always over the top violent. That is why my "feb sucks" alt ending took so long I had to keep toning it down so that Marc LaValliere lived. LOL but got ass fucked by all the Prospects. Mr CWG this was excellent. These complainers on this comment section is just whine about this or that just to complain. They sound like of bunch of women. But it prob is just young unemployed boys with no life, living in their mothers basement. again 5 stars for your excellent read. Thank You very much for the great effort you put in this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Big failure: Not true to original.

Big success: imaginative, well written, full of good life lessons.

Recommendaton: READ IT.

Pappy7Pappy7over 1 year ago

Not much to offer there. I graded it one star above the original. The ploy to use his friends against him is one that truly pisses me off about some of the writers on here. Goes for the main character's family members too. It was obvious that he was going to be a pissy little bitch for awhile and then give in. Oh well....

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well written, extremely imaginative conclusion to the original story by a different author. 5*****

arsenelupin66arsenelupin66over 1 year ago

This was incredibly stupid, ambushing the husband when he returned from Denver was as disrespectful as the “prank”, which in itself made zero sense. If possible, zero stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The good:

Well written.

The not-so-good:

Why does everyone always go after the predator and not destroy the cheating spouse ? Yes, Reg was an asshole, but he took no vows toward the MC. Being an asshole is a lesser crime than breaking your vows.

The trust will never be rebuilt. What wifey did was inexcusable. Thus, why won't she do it again?

IRL, the marriage would shatter eventually.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The main problem is that the story you chose to put an end to is rotten to the core. A typical screwup by Edrider. His stories are always a mess with no ending. The second problem is that you ran on for 6 pages to a horrible ending. Given those problems, I just didn't like the story. You do a decent job writing, from the technical point of view, but your conclusions in this case were awful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

End ruined your 6 and your 5. To crude on the perp. Never heard what happened in the house. And the... "ending.*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

PISS POOR, BOTH STORY AND AUTHOR’S CRAFT.

NO NEED FOR EXPLANATION, I KNOW SHIT WHEN I SEE IT. I AM A FARMER.

DevonadrianDevonadrianover 1 year ago

You actually got the style of the original. Well written, you can't please everyone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a horrible story of gaslighting and manipulation. His wife manipulated him with “unconditional forgiveness” in advance, and gaslit him about what she did and why. His old boss was manipulating him. His new boss was manipulating him to stay “a good safe, stable, salaryman”. His so called friend took his wife’s side and manipulated him. The manipulation of the staged apology, enabled and witnessed by family and friends was breathtaking! See, I was contrite, publicly, and now you have to take me back, or everyone will think you’re the asshole, and you’ll lose your family and friends!

I would have told everyone that because they are attempting to manipulate me into forgiveness, they are no longer my friends, and to get off of my property. I would condemn my parents for choosing a cruel adulterous slut over their son, and tell them to take her with them, and to NEVER come back. Then I would explain to my children EXACTLY what their mother did, and that she won’t be living with us anymore, but not to worry, I’ll get them a better mother soon enough!

Then I’ll start my own consulting business. I’m able to resolve major issues at a factory in less than a month. Lots of firms will pay me a lot of money to do it for them. The next wife can homeschool the children, and they can all come along when I need to travel. Setup a tour bus as a massive RV/truly mobile home/office.

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

About as bad as the original story... just agonizingly longer, more adolescent, and more convoluted.

sizemediumsizemediumabout 1 year ago

Well, I enjoyed the story, It fits with thee original very well and is well-written, Ever notice that all the bad and crude comments are from someone named anonymous. They don't have the balls to sign their name.

B3ndoverB3ndoverabout 1 year ago

Great story. Much better than the original. I would have liked to see mrs wilkins get the punishment she deserved. Size medium has it right. People will criticize anything but none of them has the balls to leave a name or identification. No taste at all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Professor Strausberg was the real villian in this story... a radical man-hating feminist that knew what the repercussion of their little skit would be... she's and her cohort had done this to other married women before... and she gets to ride off into the sunset to another college or university to spew her hateful venom and destroy other's lives with her vengeance towards men... if any one deserved to suffer harshly, it was her.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Much better than the original. Well played. She didn't have extramarital sex but was unfaithful (emotional, minor physical) but also should never play a "prank" of such astounding pain to her husband.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

So so

He never said he would forgive everything

Never covered what she did she lied about

And

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This story was really good, well thought-out, the contrition of the wife is believable, her lies, manipulations, omissions, and "almost, but yet too far" incidents were well-reasoned to support the original story AND this one, and our MC was an interesting guy as well.

I remember an episode of The John Laroquette Show when John('s character) was dating a performance artist that *used* him, unknowingly and extensively, for her own theatrical performances, and how I reacted to, and thought about, that.

'78 Buick Riv is not my favorite Riv of that era, five or more years earlier or later, I feel, were better looking. It does have a classic late 70's GM look.

Good story

Fiver for you

.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

What betrayed husbands don’t understand is that when a woman partially strays it ALWAYS progresses to full on sex……..only with the husbands intervention can it be short-circuited. The lesson the husbands FAIL to take from an ‘ALMOST’ full on sexual betrayal is that this fault lies forever embedded within their woman. This tendency CAN NEVER be EXTINGUISHED and that down the line in similar circumstances THEY WILL RE-OFFEND. The same principles equally are present in men. I suggest at the first evidence of the trait the offended party permanently sever the union. Once a Cheater IS!!!!!!! Always A Cheater………..only constant surveillance can prevent future betrayals. Not a way to live. R.H.

dgfergiedgfergie11 months ago

Just a tad bit long and repetitive but well written and pointed near the enjoy you just don't joke about thing like fidelity and relationships.

oldtwitoldtwit11 months ago

A rather odd story, but we’ll thought out, it's funny how mind games can really mess up so many people, things seem simple but simple actions are like a knife sometimes, some people have the knack of playing mind games without thinking, others could never pull it off in a million years, so we’ll done with this,

kencorokencoro10 months ago

Edrider73 was right, trying to 'complete' a very short story with obvious outcome is pointless. Especially with a long 6 pages to the original's 2.

It is too obvious what's going to happen with the couple; divorce if sex or reconcile if just petting/kissing. Yet it took so long to get there.

Buildup with no pay. The gun, the prof, the boss, Reginald's threats, joining a competitor; exploring these could improve the story. Wasted potential.

And after the friend meddling to fix the MC marriage, which somehow led to him not caring if Reg is still doing his scam. Which mean the meddling is just noise, and doesn't improve his own outlook.

So it's just a too obvious story with additional stuff that only serve to pad the story, but not to help it's progress.

MarkT63MarkT6310 months ago

Good writing. Not a fan of RAAC, but she didn't officially cheat with Reggie.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Oh my God! That was a lesson for everyone on how NOT to let things go. She may have played a poorly thought out prank, but he had to blow it up into a giant bone he would not let go of. I wanted to smack him upside the head so many times I lost track. And you wrote 6 pages on this. Just shoot me now.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Not poorly written, but simply just full of $7#T!

Author has spelled it out already, via his “How do you fix stupid?”

Vera is beyond help; remaining with her is asking for more crap and swallowing his own ego for HER sake.

Get rid of her now, and demand single parenthood for himself. She is a role model, in a capacity that is not congruent with how a mature parent ought to behave.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Original was much better. This was mode bloated with a lot of repetition and added nuances and developments to twist the knife. The original was cur and dry and entertaining and provocative. The author writes well, but this was way too long. In the original, it comes off as an actual prank gone wrong. Here it comes off as slow seduction and emotional cheating. Thr husband in the original is a sympathetic figure. Here he comes off as a bit of an asshole with some serious vitriol and hate. Yes he is the wronged party. And yes she crossed a line. But there is a difference between having huge arguments and maybe bring separated for a few weeks and getting counseling vs getting hyper pissed off and ready to bury the marriage. A couple of kisses and some fondling, as well as her premeditated planning of the "prank" are hurtful and in no way pass the wife test, but in themselves are not probably worthy of divorce. Thr bigger issue is her clear stupidity. You can't fix stupid. That might be grounds for divorce but wss not the emphasis in this story.

StruckwrongStruckwrong9 months ago

she knew it was going to be serious enough hurt on him that she had to hide his gun.

That says it all.

Knowing that she completed the loathsomeness.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I can’t believe the wimp cucks that dump on the MC… For me the only resolution would be divorce or an equally hurtful, destructive “prank” pulled on Vera like having her come home early to find Gary in bed “kissing and fondling” with another totally hot seductive woman… Of course under the covers they are still clothed but Vera is made to believe they actually fucked. Just practice for the play they in…

In the original Gry said “ There are some things I definitely wouldn't forgive. Does that answer satisfy you?" Gary never said he’d forgive her no matter what. He never said what things he couldn’t forgive but the implication is adultery. So depending on the Clintonian definition of what is is… My view is the “prank” would be one of those unforgivable things. Hell Gray could have had a heart attack. How’d that work out for Vera’s prank?

The original author in an interview states, “we know how much Gary and Vera love each other”. Well if Vera’s prank is “love” thank you but love me not. You don’t deliberately hurt someone you love with the cruelest of all “pranks” a wife could play on a husband. Some love that. Again the original author writes “That's why she gets his permission, even though he doesn't know he's giving it.” Did the author even read what he wrote? He never gave permission. Vera ignored what he said and assumed he’d forgive anything she did. She hid his gun. Did she hide the gas can in the garage and the lighters? He might have decided to burn the whole house down. Or the kitchen knives? Or baseball bat? In the original she says “ No matter what you do, I deserve it.” OK, does that include never ever forgiving her? Divorcing her? Playing a “prank” that is 10 times as hurtful on her? Actually cheating on her to get “even”? Which of course she’ll forgive him? “ I thought we could take the kids out for pizza after we pick them up later, if that's okay with you.” Is Vera seriously delusional? Why would Gary believe a word of what she wrote in her letter? She lied, she manipulated. Sorry, that spells the end and she was really stupid to think otherwise. Go out with her and the kids after what she did? She’s nuts? A few bricks short of a load!

Edrider73 in his interview writes why he left it at the end of her letter, that it was all spelled out in the story. Well, no it wasn’t. We have no idea what Gary would actually do. Edrider73 writes “ First, he destroys the room. Then, he takes the sledgehammer to the car.” Why the hell would he do that? He knows it was a prank at that point. Why waste his wrath on the car or their house? There are two people that he’d want to strangle. Having been publicly humiliated it’s really easy for love to turn to hate. “ Maybe she'll wince when he tells her to stay away from him and the thought of touching her again makes him want to throw up. He tells her to get in the car, and they pick up the kids.” Is that believable? Hell no. He’d tell her to not come back. “ Their house is as cold as "Frozen" for more than a week” A week? He wouldn’t be around her perhaps permanently. He’d server her divorce paper in her writing class. Oh, sorry honey those are fake divorce paper. Got you good huh… Would she be sufficiently humiliated? No.

Edrider73 is correct that the way he’d write what happened after Gary finished reading Vera’s letter would be boring but also unbelievable. The only way I could see them staying together if Gary came up with an even more hurtful “prank” to pull on Vera that had her utterly destroyed. No matter what their relationship is permanently alternated.

Anon below says “ A couple of kisses and some fondling, as well as her premeditated planning of the "prank" are hurtful and in no way pass the wife test, but in themselves are not probably worthy of divorce. ” Really? So wifey is OK if hubby gets a few kisses and fondling and suffers a hurt prank pulled on her to get even like the one mentioned above. She’s turned a marriage into a war and only a wimp would surrender.

bigurnbigurn9 months ago

There still is the problem of, what did they do at his house? From the recording it was more than kissing or fondling... I guess he just let that go... What a coward! 3 stars for not really giving the MC some balls.

orneryonezorneryonez8 months ago

Homo Sapiens ... Computers ... Artificial Intelligence ... R.I.P Humanity

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I completely agree with anonymous below, who states the thing that matters most, in my view, in edrider73’s original story:

“In the original Gary said “There are some things I definitely wouldn't forgive. Does that answer satisfy you?" Gary never said he’d forgive her no matter what. He never said what things he couldn’t forgive but the implication is adultery.”

Anonymous then states this observation perfectly:

“The original author in an interview states, “we know how much Gary and Vera love each other”. Well if Vera’s prank is “love,” thank you, but love me not. You don’t deliberately hurt someone you love with the cruelest of all “pranks” a wife could play on a husband……Again the original author writes “That's why she gets his permission, even though he doesn't know he's giving it.” Did the author even read what he wrote? He never gave permission. Vera ignored what he said and assumed he’d forgive anything she did.”

Thanks anonymous, for your aware and thoughtful comments above. You nailed it!

Personally, I have zero jealousy and zero envy. My relationships all revolved around freedom, openness, honesty, empathy and caring. Those things represent love to me. Love is not about my personal need, or ownership of another person’s life or actions. Vows, promises and the “revenge” implied or stated if they are broken, have no place in my life. To me they create a fantasy life…a movie, if you will…where the people are actors in a script, and not real. (In case you wonder, I’m 88 years old and have had my share of relationships over the years.)

I enjoy reading Loving Wives stories just because they are NOT like me. I see so many people in my real life who are living their fantasy, and I’m not being critical here…just being observational. These LW stories express all the possible feelings that might be acted out within the “movie” being lived. Most often, finally being acted out in an extreme way, which we would never see in real life. And therein creates the drama people love to feel, but are not living.

So it’s fun for me to “check my reality [with my free payment,] at the movie booth” and plunge into the drama the story presents. In addition to enjoying that drama, I also get to learn better how other people feel, think, justify their living, and pretty much actually live…even though at a much lower level of drama.

Regarding the stories:

I really enjoyed the edrider73 original very much. It needs no further “ending” in my view. I gave it 5 stars. As opposed to the strong realism of the emotional actions/reactions I felt in the original, Cookingwithgas’ effort left me feeling flat. Too sort of silly, over the top reaction that just didn’t “suck me in.” I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t feel much of anything, so I gave it 3 stars for the effort.

~ Merlin

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

5 stars. Wanting to know if she actually had an affair definitely kept me reading. This one took just a little artistic license on the prank. In the original I don't think they kissed or fondled--at least she claims innocence.

But I really liked this sequel. For me personally, it would be hard to get over the psychological attack that was her 'prank' (not to mention the psychological damage), and, worse, knowing she kissed another man and let him fondle her. But her remorse seemed sincere and it looked like she learned from her horrid mistakes. I think reconciliation would be worth it; as long as that shit never happens again lol.

oksideshow859419oksideshow8594197 months ago

I'm 50/50 on this sequel at least you gave us more of the story 👍🙉🙈🙊

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

"Pranks" between couples are an absolute no-no. At the very least they display diminished respect for the perpetratee.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Despite the story dragging a bit, it is still Four Stars worthy.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Between the original story and this ending, multiple times she says she would never cheat. And yet she was on his couch making out with him for several minutes. Classic loving wife. You gotta love it. Well it all worked out in the end although I think that scumbag Reg got off too easy. He'll just be pulling his stunts elsewhere and ruining more lives. At least Vera finally learned just how insanely stupid she had been and they patched things up. Perhaps one day she'll confess that she did more than kissing at Reg's but the blowjob didn't mean anything ;) Just kidding that probably never happened.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Story drags on and on an on.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

One of author's best stories. Good extended ending though it did get a bit repetitive. 4 stars.

Busman19639Busman196394 months ago

The story is long winded and at times boring. Almost quit a couple of times. Just barely four stars.

JensensloverJensenslover3 months ago

Yawn, skimmed most of this, 2*

Redaer99Redaer993 months ago

I am sorry but, despite liking a lot of your stories, this time I liked the original better

CallmetrayCallmetray3 months ago

The best of the Strange car sequels. Great story.

MountainMan1336MountainMan13363 months ago

4 Stars for this story. It was well written and the characters believable. However the Buick Riviera did not have bench seats at least not in 69.

cruzer1955cruzer19553 months ago

This one sucked. The wife was halfway out the door and did in fact cheat. Penetration is not required for that. She lied repeatedly and totally had no respect for her husband. He should have told everyone in his backyard that they were out of line and walked away.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Nope. Betrayal, Disrespect, Broken Trust. I'm sure there were more "Dis's". She's sorry because it blew up in her face.

willyk1212willyk12122 months ago

3 stars here she cheated as soon as kiss and hand on dick

dgfergiedgfergie2 months ago

"I new what woman could to a man's soul" That is from and old Eagles song and it's so true. This is and was an excellent story. It points out the hurt and anguish that can be done to a person when another is just planning to 'prank' them.. Such a simple thing just pretend to be cheating on your mate, that is not a prank or a joke. It's mean and cruel. Marriages and relationships are very fragile. Just look at the divorce rate. Do you think our MC overreacted? Do you think what she did with her play was a just a prank? The woman deluded her self. She hid his gun and removed all the valuable's from the house so she knew he might react badly to the prank. Excellent story although some others don't think so. What do you doif this happened to you? 5 stars

26thNC26thNC2 months ago

Helluva story. I enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Over all it wasn't a bad Alternative ending, a bit too drug out though. He really never get his revenge on Mrs. Wilkins, beside maybe slowing down her Career advancements. Or on Reg and Professor Strausberg, I think a good baseball bat could have fixed both of them nicely, truthfully..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I read the original as per your suggestion and said at the time she opened up a can of worms by her actions and I wondered what would happen next. You showed us a way which resulted in a reconciliation. I think the wife was incredibly lucky in getting that. I feel if it happened in real life the vast majority of marriages would be broken beyond repairing after her lies and manipulation and betrayal of his love. Not to mention the total disrespect. To be able to find a way to trust her again is a feat that I'm not convinced personally I could achieve. This was an excellent story very well told and felt in character with the original. BardnotBard

beatman04beatman04about 1 month ago

After everything she still has a make out session and more at his apartment. She got off way too easy. Should have dumped her.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

The first step is to call the police and report them for stealing his gun. That’s a felony. Press charges. Insist on a restraining order.

/

The traitor sluts letter has given him legal evidence for criminal charges, and lawsuits. I would love to see a version of this where he shows up to get his kids with a deputy present, and she never sees them again.

/

There’s SOO MUCH potential for utter devastation, and all of it legal, all because she stupidly documented the criminal conspiracy, and unprofessional behavior of the enablers!

/

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

This is a horrible story of gaslighting and manipulation. His wife manipulated him with “unconditional forgiveness” in advance, and gaslit him about what she did and why. His old boss was manipulating him. His new boss was manipulating him to stay “a good safe, stable, salaryman”. His so called friend took his wife’s side and manipulated him. The manipulation of the staged apology, enabled and witnessed by family and friends was breathtaking! See, I was contrite, publicly, and now you have to take me back, or everyone will think you’re the asshole, and you’ll lose your family and friends!

/

I would have told everyone that because they are attempting to manipulate me into forgiveness, they are no longer my friends, and to get off of my property. I would condemn my parents for choosing a cruel adulterous slut over their son, and tell them to take her with them, and to NEVER come back. Then I would explain to my children EXACTLY what their mother did, and that she won’t be living with us anymore, but not to worry, I’ll get them a better mother soon enough!

/

Then I’ll start my own consulting business. I’m able to resolve major issues at a factory in less than a month. Lots of firms will pay me a lot of money to do it for them. The next wife can homeschool the children, and they can all come along when I need to travel. Setup a tour bus as a massive RV/truly mobile home/office.

/

ZK

Dennis26Dennis26about 1 month ago

Good story. Enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymous18 days ago

Good, but....The ending seemed rushed and artificial after all the angst and anger over the wife's terrible prank and her far too intimate conduct with Reg. And enlisting all the family and friends to show up and support the wife as soon as he gets back from a three week trip is exactly the wrong way to fix a very personal likely marriage ending problem between the two of them. I think many men would feel unreasonably pressured and would just turn around and leave. I thought the writing was quite good until the ending, but that ruined it for me. No score because I don't want to ding a mostly good well written story.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...