Strange Intersections

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jordan walked to the curb and stared at Max. She hadn't had the privilege of hearing the earlier conversation between her brother and in her mind, "the racist cop". When it appeared that he was just going to leave, she looked down the street toward her brother and then back to the cop.

Max tipped his hat, "Ma'am. Have a good night" and drove away. Caleb gave a brief nod when the un-marked Explorer passed by the foot of his family's driveway.

Both Caleb and Max felt a sense of relief. Jordan felt indifferent.

Better days ahead.

"Bruce, you wanna jog your big ass down to the pier?"

Things had somewhat turned around for Max. He was getting back to normal, whatever normal was, if he could remember.

His health, both mental and physical were getting better. 6 months had passed since his departure from Denver. Not a word from Tiffany, and that helped. As for his health, he had dropped a few pounds of his winter weight and was feeling good about himself. He had started jogging again and spent some time in the gym. He would have preferred a faster pace, but Bruce kept him at a slow jog.

Max had rescued Bruce the English Bulldog from the local SPCA shelter. Age unknown. Health good. Good hips. Legs short. Face as ugly as fuck, with a big under bite, but they were a team.

"Come on fat boy, keep up." Bruce probably could have used a skateboard, but whenever he got tired, he just sat down. The world revolved around him.

Pulling up his favorite seat at Salty's Island Bar & Grille, Max ordered a bowl of water and a Kona Big Wave.

Usually, Salty's was a packed place, but summer was upon them. 2 days from now on the 4th, you won't get near the place, but today, there was lots of room.

A hot little blond that reminded Max of Tiffany delivered the drinks. Setting the beer down first, she eyed Max. "Your dog's so cute. Does he bite?"

"He's never bitten me. But I've never given him any reason to."

The flirt was on. The time tested, hot girl likes cute dog, guy picks up hot girl. Works rarely in the real world, but there they were going to go through the routine.

"What's his name?"

"Bruce."

"It suits him. Why'd you name him that?"

"I didn't." She looked at him, stumped.

"Then why do you call him Bruce?"

"Because, it's his name."

No more smiles. Spinning on her heels, he was sure that he heard his server call him an "asshole" when she walked away shaking her head. It didn't bother him in the least because truth be told, she looked too much like Tiffany for Max to even show concern.

The fewer than normal amount of people that were in the bar were loud and enjoying themselves. Their bronzed skin smelled of mangos, coconut and papaya's, all the flavors of a suntan lotion salad. Their voices were just barely audible over the sounds of Jimmy Buffet singing "Southern Cross".

Usually keeping to the one beer limit was put on the back burner when the hot blond delivered the second serving of ice-cold Kona. Max was surprised when she popped the cap in front of him. He hadn't ordered it, but the sweaty brown bottle covered in ice chips screamed for him to drink it.

"That's from the lady and gentleman sitting over there. By the way, I can't let it go. Why do you call him Bruce?" Not wanting to be a complete asshole, he gave in.

"He's adopted. Had it when I got him." The young server touched his shoulder.

"He's cute. I like him...a lot." Her smile gave a "I wanna fuck vibe".

Max looked over his shoulder in the direction that the Tiff clone pointed, but he couldn't see anyone that was looking in his direction or that he thought might have even sent him a beer.

Four, maybe five, sips later it was gone. Bruce was ready, and Max was headed to the beach for a quick swim before the jog home.

"Excuse me, Officer." Whoever was calling had directed those words to him, yet Max had no idea how anyone in the place knew he was a cop. Turning he saw a black couple following him down the steps of the patio.

"Officer?"

"Yes."

"Caleb. It's Caleb. You pulled me over about 3 months ago. On the other side of town." Max remembered the event very clearly.

"How's that new job going Caleb?"

"Excellent, sir. Been there over 3 months now, thanks to you. Officer...?"

"Max. Call me Max." Holding out his hand he shook Caleb's hand then the hand of the young lady standing to left.

"Thank you. This is my fiancé Kayla. We didn't want to bother you. Just wanted to say hi and thank you again for, for what you did for me. Well, for us actually."

"Glad I could help. Thank you for that beer. It hit the spot."

There was a bit of an awkward silence. Kayla nudged Caleb's ribcage with her elbow. Not hard, but enough to get him moving.

"Offi...Max, we're having an engagement party this coming Friday over at the Amvet. You remember my sister Jordan, she's in a Fleetwood Mac cover band, and they're playing there. It's a small event, very casual. There will be snacks with cold beer and wine. Well anyway, if you got nothing going on, drop by and we'd love to buy you a beer. Pay you back a little for what you did for us."

"The fact that it worked out for you is payment enough. You don't owe me anything more." Max shook their hands one more time before giving Bruce a tug to get his big ass up off the strip of grass that he was calling home. "Thanks for the invite, and good luck with the wedding."

Max's week passed by quick enough, but when he had any free time on his hands, he thought about the offer extended to him for drinks on Friday night. A night out wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

The UBER dropped him at the front door of the hall and a cool chill cause him concern. For the very first time in his life Max was nervous of his surroundings.

"You can go your own way, go your own way". Fake Stevie Nicks and crew could be heard from the open doors of the Amvet. With a hand full of drink tickets and tickets for the prize table, Max walked in.

Caleb was near the stage dancing with Kayla. Jordan and four others kept the crowd hopping with their only slightly offkey renditions of Fleetwood Mac's finest. Jordan's onstage presence caught Max's attention. Even the slightest move of her sultry hips looked appealing. The sound and sight of the tambourine rattling and clanging off her hard butt kept him entranced. Every time she moved or danced on the stage, her perky breasts bounced enough to keep the attention of every gentleman in the crowd.

"I said, are you a friend of Caleb and Kayla's?" A stately woman in her late fifties, early sixties stood beside Max. She was eyeing him with some apprehension. Almost as though he may cause some trouble. Max looked around the room to see who else was looking at him. The 70 / 30 ratio the blacks to whites didn't seem to care less that he was there.

"No. Actually I've known Caleb for a bit. We met a couple months back. Friends ever since." Max didn't want the 20-question routine, but he was standing in the middle of it.

"Before he started his new job?"

"Yes, I guess so. I guess you could say that."

"Who you here with?"

"I'm here alone."

"Then why so many drink tickets?"

"Pardon?"

"I asked why you have so many drink tickets."

"I'm not sure really. I wasn't certain how this whole thing worked, so when the folks at the front told me, I bought a brunch to "help the cause"."

"You best be careful. Don't be drinkin too much and get behind a wheel. You'll get yourself into a heap of trouble for sure."

"Thank you, ma'am. That's solid advice."

"Mama, leave this nice gentleman alone." Caleb must have noticed this mother standing beside Max and came over to save him. "Max, this is my mother Esther. Mama, this is Max."

Max held out his hand.

"Caleb, don't be letting this party get outta hand." She pointed to the strip of tickets dangling from Max's hand and walked away.

"Sorry about that. She is on the greeting committee and it's law that she talk to everyone that comes through the door. Wow, thanks for coming. You get some food yet? Lots to eat over there."

"No. No food yet. Just been watching the band."

"You come by yourself?"

"Yeah, I'm by myself. I don't have lots of friends in the area."

The band finished their set. Kayla and Caleb were called to the front stage to draw a couple of the prizes, but Caleb stayed close by.

"We'll only be a few minutes. You're gonna stick around and have some food, right? We'll have a beer or something when I get back." Max held up his fist full of tickets.

"Not going anywhere soon."

Yielding way so the happy couple could head toward the stage, "Kayla, you got any drink tickets?" was called out from over his shoulder. Caleb shouted, "Max has a bunch", still making his way to the front.

"What? Who the hell is Max?"

"Me." Turning around so that Jordan could see him.

"The fuck are you doing here?"

"I was invited."

"By fucking who?"

"Well, I actually didn't have to fuck anyone. Your brother invited me."

"What?" There was a long pause as she stared down the answer. "Oh. Not funny. Why would he invite you?"

"You'll have to ask him that. Drink?" Another long pause.

"You can damn sure bet I will ask." Her eyes squinted to a point that they were almost closed, but her thirst must have been overpowering her pride. "Vodka cranberry...please."

Returning to where he had left her standing, Max took in Jordan's physical beauty from behind. She had broad shoulders like that of someone who had spent many hours in a pool or who had been on a rowing team. Her waist was small and tapered out at her hips. Her hard buttocks were nicely tucked into a pair of form fitting, strategically torn jeans that had been rolled up and cuffed at the bottom, showing off some of her smooth brown calves.

"Thanks." Max did not respond but watched her as her delicate lips took a long drink of the cold libation. All the singing and dancing had made her thirsty.

Caleb and Kayla were calling out lucky numbers for some of the gifts to be given away. Max was enjoying his beer, watching. In all his years this was a ritual that he had never partook in.

"You here alone?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I guess the rest of my racist friends were busy." The joke went right over Jordan's head. She was far too interested in what was going on, on the stage.

"Shit, I wanna win that so bad." It was a certificate for a spa day.

"Check your tickets."

"I didn't buy any. Got too busy with other stuff and forgot." It was the first time that Max noticed her smile or laugh. Her smile was from ear to ear, exposing her beautiful white teeth.

"Then, I'm going to bet that you didn't win it."

"Wow, did you get promoted to detective?" Her comment stung, but it was unintentional.

"No, not yet, but I have a very keen eye for the obvious." Her smile was back.

A friend of Jordan's joined them. Max took the time to go back over to the bar over. Ordering another beer and 2 vodka cranberries, he asked the bartender to give one of whatever Caleb and Kayla were drinking to them. The couple smiled and raised their glasses from the end of the bar.

"That's 5 tickets buddy." Max handed him the 5 paper tickets.

"Sorry man. The green ones. Those are for the draws."

"Oh, my bad." Giving the barkeep the required greens, he asked how the red tickets worked.

"You look at the board on the wall. If they called your number, it will be next to the prize you won. Hang on to those ticket though, they'll be doing the last draw in about an hour."

Max didn't know if he had planned on staying that long, but so far it was a night out. Actually, it was the most interaction that he had with others since he arrived in Florida.

Handing a drink to Jordan's friend who he had yet to be introduced to and another to Jordan, Max scanned the room.

"Oh, my gosh. Thank you. Jordan who's that" Jordan's voice dropped to a lower octave.

"Caleb's new friend."

"Wicked cute."

Even lower, "I guess".

"Hey, sorry for leaving you here. You having fun? Is Jordan playing nice. Didn't call you anymore bad names, did she?" Caleb and Kayla were back. Standing with us.

"No, she's been fine."

"Why wouldn't I be fine? He's been buying me drinks all night, since my cheap brother won't."

"You're the one supposed to be buying me drinks, you crazy bitch."

"Language."

"Shit, now we were all in trouble." Esther had returned. She had a disapproving look at her children holding drinks in their hands compared to the plastic bottle of water in hers, but to her credit she didn't say anything.

"Caleb, explain to me how it is that you know Max."

"Well, mama, I...I." Max helped out by answering.

"We met a while back. I was new to Clearwater. Caleb was having some car troubles, so I gave him a hand with it. Then I saw him and Kayla one day last week at lunch, them knowing that I'm new to the area, and without family or friends, invited for a night out."

Esther touched the side of her son's face. "My baby. Heart-a-gold. You make me so proud." Her hand gently tapped his cheek as she walked away.

"Thanks, man."

"For what, telling the truth?"

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." The red liquid of vodka and cranberry splashed Max's leg as Jordan pulled his arm. "Dance with me." Racing toward the dance floor he set his almost empty beer on a table nearby.

The song was slow and twangy, so Jordan pulled him close. He could smell her perfume and the sweet smell of cranberry on her breath as she put her face near his neck. Her breasts pressed tightly to his chest as they swayed back and forth. Her heat, smell and touch reminded him how long it had been since he had last been with a woman, and it had been far too long.

"Who are we hiding from?" Her head tilted sideways.

"You sure you're not a detective? My ex."

Max scoped the room. Which one was it? There was any number of guys that would probably be more than willing to date Jordan.

"Which one is he, so that I know when he tries to punch me for dancing with you." Her warmth jiggled in his arms when she laughed. She pointed him out. He was a good-looking enough guy, but Max was surprised by his diminutive stature.

"Am I looking at the right guy?"

"Yes. Don't get all judgmental on me. He's a family friend. We went on a few dates. Next thing I know, it's all over Facebook that we're getting married. Damn, he even bought me a ring. It's been 2 years and he still chase's after me."

"It's not hard to see why. You're a beautiful woman. He probably thought that you were the one."

"What? What the fuck...?"

"I said that he probably thought that you were..."

"Yeah, yeah. I heard that part. Tell me the other part again."

Max smiled coyly. "Nope. Come on, I'll buy you another drink."

Her brother and future sister-in-law had saved them seats at the table where they were sitting. Line-ups of people were getting food. Max was surprised by the quality of the snacks. With a plate full of ribs, wings and salad, he sat next to Jordan. Their warm thighs touched from the tight squeeze of the seating arrangements. He, Kayla, Jordan, Caleb, and their parents, along with some aunts, uncles and the "Ex", all sat sharing stories.

Esther and her husband kept a close eye on Max. They tried not to be too obvious, but. The final series of prize tickets were drawn, and the band was getting ready for their last set of the night.

"Are you sticking around for a while, or are you leaving soon?" When Jordan asked, Max sensed that she wanted him to stay.

"I'm not going anywhere until I hear you play Tusk."

"We don't play that."

"Oh well." It was a play on words that wasn't lost on her.

"We do play that. It's our encore song."

The drinks flowed. Caleb and Kayla slowed danced, even when the tempo picked up. They were lost in each other. Their souls alive and entwined together as one. Max wondered to himself what it felt like to be in love, true love.

The dance floor filled for Landslide. Jordan's powerful, yet mellow voice filled the room. Her friend, who actually had a name, Tia, grabbed Max and pulled him onto the floor.

"Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides? Can I handle the seasons of my life?" For the first time in many months, Max felt alive. When the song finished, he thanked Tia, grabbed himself another beer and set the prescribed vodka cranberry on the stage in front of where Jordan stood.

Checking his draw numbers, he collected an envelope containing his lone prize and put in into his pocket. Leaning on the cinder block wall of the Amvet, he very much looked the part of a happy wallflower.

The night was winding down and as stated earlier, it was time for the encore. "But don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer that you want me to" Not bad. Not bad at all. Maybe it was the beer, or maybe they weren't all that bad.

Standing on the stage, Caleb's legs wobbled as he gave a short speech.

"Kayla and me, want to thank everyone that came out tonight. Thanks to those that helped and donated. Thanks to "Freak Would Mac", for playing for us. And last, but not least, thanks to our family and friends, old and new. Without their help, weather they know it or not, tonight wouldn't have been possible." His glossy eyes glued to Max's when he made the last statement.

The crowd dispersed fast enough. The band was breaking down the equipment on the stage, carrying what they had brought out through a side door, loading up a rusted old van. Caleb and Kayla made their way out the door, passing around hugs to everyone that they came across.

"You still here?" Jordan was standing directly behind him.

"Yeah, waiting for a cab. They said that it would be here in about 30 minutes."

"Good. Here." She handed him an empty recycle bag. "Pick up all the empties you see. Pour all the leftover drinks into those jugs and throw the glasses into the recycle bin."

"Oh, okay."

The time slipped past rapidly. All the tables had been wiped and chairs were pushed back into their regular spots. The room looked clean and organized. Esther looked at Max with approval for the first time that night. She handed him a covered aluminum tray.

"Some snacks. Thank you for coming. You have a ride home?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm waiting on a cab."

"You never call a cab anymore. The kids all use that Uber thing. They're a damn sight faster." And she was gone.

Standing curb side, the hot summer breeze blew over him. Max's sweat covered shirt chilled and moved slightly from the wind. It was a good feeling. He could see the lights of his cab pulling into the parking lot.

"Hey, did you see Tia?"

"Not for over an hour."

"Bitch. She was my ride."

Max opened the door behind the driver. "Get in, I'll drop you off." Jordan looked around the basically empty parking lot. Options limited, she got in.

"Same place on Citrus?"

"No. No, we moved." She gave the driver the address and they were off.

"Hey, before I forget, here." He handed the folded envelope from his pocket.

"Where the hell did you get this?"

"I won it."

"Aren't you going to use it?" Holding the certificate up, her face lit up with a wide smile.

"On what? Not much into waxing or sugaring, and I've never been a mani / pedi kinda guy."

"Says you. Thank you very much. I will definitely use this bad boy."

As they got closer to the Gulf Jordan told Max a little about herself and how she was living with her brother and Kayla until she found a place of her own. Like her brother she had just finished getting a degree and in September, she would be starting a new job as a teacher.

"So, what else do racist cops do on their days off besides crashing parties?" The East Indian drivers head snapped back to look over his shoulder at Max.