Striking the Match Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He wished he could say something, his mouth opening with the intention of... anything. But no sound came out. Lydia passed him his cup of tea over the island, not looking at him. She sipped at her cup slowly. The silence was deafening.

"Lyds..." he managed to choke out. "I'm sorry." He felt relief as his tongue became unstuck from the roof of his mouth at last. "I don't know how to even say what I want to say... what I need to say. All I can do is try and be straight with you." he looked at her imploringly and she gave a short nod. He took a deep breath and let the words fall from his heart "The last few months I feel like I have been sleepwalking, without even knowing it. I thought I was fine, hurting a little but getting over it. But when I bumped into Noah yesterday it was like I had been woken up. And I can see now how I have not been myself. Not for a long time. I know it is fast, and insane but everything they say about Matched is true. I can't imagine my life without him in it, I don't want a life without him in it. But," he took a breath, realising now that he had opened his mouth he was babbling and tried to refocus it on what mattered. "I also can't lose you. That's what has made this so hard. I want you in my life, maybe not in the way we had planned, but I still want you there, for every hug when you're feeling sad, for every telephone rant, for as much as you will let me be there. And I want, more than anything, to be there for our child. I hope that you want that too."

He forced his mouth closed. Now that he had started there was a desire to keep talking at her, to keep going on and on until she interrupted him or agreed. But she didn't look like she would do either. She stood holding her mug of tea with both hands, a tear fell from her eye, but her expression did not change from the neutral distant look she wore the whole time he had spoken. What felt like an age later, her eyes focused and she looked at him.

"You're right," she said her voice brittle "About not being yourself these last few months. I noticed it myself, I kept hoping that you would snap out of it but... it was like you were there...but not. I knew this was coming, it was just a matter of when you eventually saw each other again."

She paused, a long silence that had Charlie on edge as she stared at him, cool and quiet.

"I think even if Ben hadn't come, and if I hadn't seen the car, I still would have known the moment you walked in. You look so... happy, you're literally glowing with energy. And I'm glad you're happy, I'm sorry that I could not be that person for you, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy for you all the same. I do want you in my life Charlie, but I think I could do with some time."

"Of course," he said quickly. "However much you need."

They stood for a while and then Lydia smiled a small smile.

"The baby's kicking. Do you want to-?"

"Yes," he said eagerly. He had not yet felt a kick. He walked to her and with her guidance placed a hand on the side of her bump. She was so close, but he felt no desire for her anymore, only a little guilty that she was clearly struggling with the close proximity and trying to conceal it. Suddenly, he felt a bump against his palm, and again, the pressure of a small foot. He laughed in shock and amazement and Lydia smiled too, despite the tears welling in her eyes again. He pulled his hand away and looked at her, he extended his arms.

"Hug?" he asked and she nodded. She pressed into his chest and sniffed softly as she cried, and he held her tightly. Wishing he did not have to cause her this pain. Eventually they broke apart and Charlie knew it was time to leave. He walked to the door and turned to her.

"Please make sure you're not on your own."

"I'll call Alice, I promise."

"Ok, please call her. Maybe even stay with her for a while?"

"The Matched third wheel once again," she joked and Charlie smiled blandly, suddenly thinking quickly.

"Ill see you soon Lydia, call me if you need me."

He stepped out into the hall and walked down the stairs two steps at a time. He was suddenly filled with excitement and incredulity that he could have been so stupid for so long. He had been so selfish! To think that he was in some sort of love triangle between Lydia and Noah. He wasn't at all! They were just a puzzle missing a piece, a fourth person. Lydia's match.

If he had matched with Noah, surely there was someone out there for her too? He just had to work out how to find them.

Noah looked surprised as Charlie came bounding towards him an hour or so later, practically quivering with excitement.

"Um, what's going on?" He said slightly alarmed.

"I've had an idea."

"Oh no Charlie, you know I'd do almost anything for you but threesomes are just not my-"

"It's not a threesome shut up!" Charlie interrupted exasperated. "I need to get Lydia matched!"

Noah raised his eyebrows, "and how do you plan on doing that exactly?"

"I have not entirely worked that out, but I'm going to," he said, his heart still racing, buoyed by hope and adrenaline.

Noah smiled, "then I believe you will. But otherwise? How did the conversation with Lydia go? Are you now officially a single man?"

"Well, not really," Charlie said sheepishly and Noah's face fell.

"Oh, I thought..."

Charlie broke into a smile, unable to contain himself and Noah cocked his head in confusion, Charlie laughed.

"I was hoping," he said, reaching for Noah's jacket, pulling him slightly closer, "that I might be able to ask the hot guy I've been seeing if he'll be my boyfriend..." he grinned.

"Oh I see," Noah said, cottoning on, his confused expression quickly shifting to a cheerful smile. "Well, if I was that hot guy I'd say about fucking time."

Noah leaned in for a kiss and Charlie returned it, feeling the rush that he always got from any sort of touch with Noah, but with it was also a joy and relief that finally, he felt happy. There was no guilt of betrayal, no fear and no doubt, only blissful happiness. When they broke apart Noah pressed his forehead into Charlie's.

"I will never get over that rush when I kiss you," Noah murmered.

"I know, it's... intense," he agreed.

"Makes me need a cold shower," Noah said and laughed slightly. "You're coming over again tonight right?"

"Definitely," Charlie grinned, "although, I have no plans for the rest of the day if you done? If you want to just head there now?"

"Plans can be cancelled," Noah whispered, kissing him again seductively before taking his hand in his own and walking him to the car.

Charlie had never felt so energised. He had Noah, he had a child on the way, and he had an idea on how to make everything perfect. He didn't think he would ever stop grinning.

*****

A/N: I have written more of this but it's taking me longer than planned so I have split into two parts so you didnt have to wait! I adore these two characters and am excited to tell you what happens next in their lives!

Please let me know if thats something you want to read in the comments below! - Daisy x