Strong Safety Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The shirt come off pretty easily but the damn jeans had to be peeled off. I had just gotten them off when I heard the knock on the door and it swung open. I was standing there in my socks and black boxer briefs while Alicia was standing there gawking at me. "Damn Liam, you're so freakin' hot." For the second time in 2 minutes, I was blushing. "Here put these on and come on out so we can see them," she said as she handed me the clothes.

I was sliding on the much better-fitting clothes while they whispered and giggled outside of the door. "You have seen those abs and his chest, Lauren. He is ripped. I just want to rub my hands across his entire torso. Do you think Ty would let me do the pick-up tonight? Then he'd have to wrap those arms around me."

"I don't think..." Lauren started but I interrupted by saying "I'm coming out."

I stepped from the fitting room feeling pretty good because of their flattering words. "This okay?" I asked.

The jeans were big enough to allow room for my muscular legs and still followed the contours of my thighs and butt. I had rolled the sleeves of the shirt up to the middle of my forearms. I would have gone higher but the cuffs weren't wide enough.

"Heck yeah cowboy" Lauren smiled at me.

Man, I'm in trouble; I would wear this every day if she would look at me like that. I smiled and nodded at her.

"Still need to find you some boots" Alicia interjected.

"Let me change back into my clothes and we'll check them out" I replied.

Four minutes later we were in the boot section. There weren't many choices but I didn't really need many. I grabbed a pair of square-toed boots in my size and slipped them on. They would work well. Finally, Alicia slipped a straw cowboy hat on my head. I have a large head and she underestimated the size. It slipped off as soon as she put it on my head. Lauren grabbed it and offered it to me just as I had done the night of the exhibition. I nodded and told her "Thank you, but I think I need a bigger size."

Turns out my hat size is 7 3/8. I settled on a low crown straw hat that was just snug enough that hopefully it stayed on my head during our mad dash out of the arena on horseback.

We grabbed a quick lunch at Sonic and they dropped me by my truck at the arena. "Be back here at 5 in your new clothes and boots" Lauren instructed.

"Yes, ma'am, and thank you for the fashion advice." ______________________________________________________________________________

I was dressed and back at 4:55. I went inside the arena to find Ty, Lauren, or Alicia when Zack stepped out into my way. "What the fuck are you doing here and why the fuck are you dressed like that? You think you're a real cowboy?"

"I'm not trying to be anything but a friend to Lauren, Alicia, and Ty. So step out of my way and I'll be out of yours."

"Listen Lime, sooner or later Lauren is going to figure out that she and Ty aren't the real deal. When she does I'm gonna be here to console her. If you want to wait your turn and are still interested in her after I'm done with her then you can start hanging out with her, but for now, you need to go on back to the football stadium or where ever it is y'all jerk each other off and forget about Lauren."

"Wow you're really clever; I've never heard my name mispronounced or a gay joke about football players. Are you in the English department or are you hoping your crafty arguments will be effective in the courtroom? Listen, Zack, I left all that back in the 3rd grade so I'm going to find some adults to talk to. Now why don't you run along and play with all the other little fellas."

He was about to take a step toward me when Ty walked up and said, "There you are Liam; everything okay?"

"Sure Ty, sorry I'm running late. Didn't mean to make you come look for me."

"No big deal man, we weren't sure you knew where you're supposed to be. Follow me and we'll get you a seat until the barrel race setup starts."

Zack tried to give me a hard stare but I just walked past him allowing Ty to be my guide. "I think you really pissed him off with that joke about his height. Bull riders aren't all that tall anyway and he's shorter than most. He's pretty sensitive about it." Ty said quietly.

"He pushed, I just pushed back."

"Just remember what I said about him and Lauren. You don't want to instigate anything."

"I hear ya, Ty. I will do my best to keep the peace. I'm glad you're here to have my back."

"About that, I will be here through December but I'm transferring to Texas Tech for the spring semester. I have a friend I used to rope with on the team and we're going to try to take the team roping title next year."

"I'm happy for you but I know that Lauren is going to miss you and I have to say that I will too."

"I'll miss y'all too but this is my last shot and I want to go out on top."

"I understand. I'm glad we'll get to hang out until December."

"Sit here. When you hear them announce that barrel racers need to gather then head down with them. Smokey and me will be waiting for you."

I was surprised by how many schools were represented at the rodeo. Rodeo isn't an officially recognized NCAA sport so it's a weird mix of schools of all different sizes. After the roping events the West Alabama team was in second place and Lauren had won the women's breakaway event. Alicia had placed third.

As the men's roping events were winding down, a general announcement was given for the barrel racers to assemble. I headed down to the starting gate while the tractor pulled the drag over the area dirt.

Lauren smiled at me as I walked up. "Glad you didn't chicken out. I would have made fun of the macho football player that was scared of a little pony."

"You better not let Smokey hear you talking about him that way" was my retort. "Where's my barrel?"

"The truck is placing it now. You can head on out and get set up."

Remembering what they had said about the rodeo being about showmanship, I sprinted the last ten yards and leaped to the top of the barrel. I may not be a cowboy but I am a pretty good athlete and the 33" barrel was just inside my 35" vertical. I was relieved when I landed on both feet and stood up on top of the barrel.

"Ladies and cowboys, put your hands together for Smokey, his rider Ty Smith and their barrel pickup partner Liam Stanley."

The crowd was appreciative and suddenly Smokey was galloping from the gate. I squatted and prepared to jump aboard when Ty held out his hand for me to grab. Smokey is a roping horse and not really agile enough for barrels but he had one good turn in him. Just as he began his turn around, Ty's hand shot out for me to grab on. Then I launched off of the barrel and landed directly behind Ty. Then Smokey was off like a shot again. The whole thing was over in less than 10 seconds.

"Not bad Liam, not bad at all" Ty congratulated me.

"Thanks, Ty, I owe it all to my coach."

Lauren suddenly ran up beside me and wrapped me up in a big excited hug. I was caught off guard and more than a little flustered. It was our first contact other than a handshake or a fist bump.

"That was amazing, Liam. Who were showing off for when you jumped up on that barrel?" she asked with a smirk.

"Someone told me that part of the rodeo was putting on a show. I didn't want to let her down."

"You certainly didn't."

Alicia also wrapped me in a hug but she tried to make it more sensual by pressing her body against me.

"Great job, sexy" she whispered in my ear.

"Thanks" was my simple reply as I tried to step back. She tried to remain close to me and I shot Lauren a "HELP!" look.

"Licia, let's go help the barrel girls with their event" Lauren urged her friend. With a sigh, Alicia stepped back and followed her friend.

"She's not given up without a fight," Ty said with a smile.

"I don't know how to be more direct without being rude. Alicia is a sweet girl; I just don't have any interest in dating her."

"Why? Dating is not a commitment. You might enjoy yourself."

"That would be cruel. I can't see myself with her in the future so I don't want to give her an expectation of something I she can't have."

"Lauren and I know there's no future for us but we're attracted to one another so we're just havin' fun."

An involuntary expression of pain flashed across my face. I tried to turn quickly to hide it from Ty. It wasn't his fault that Lauren wanted to be with him and I certainly didn't want to admit my feelings to Lauren once they talked about this conversation.

"I'm just not built like that, man" was my weak response.

"I get it Lauren is a special girl, we've agreed that we don't want to do the long-distance thing so she'll be free after December."

I was a little pissed off at his attitude. "I am Lauren's friend nothing more and nothing less. Let's just leave it at that."

He nodded and didn't say anything more. The barrel team did their job and the West Alabama team jumped into the number 1 spot. Bull riding was the final of the evening. There were 25 riders looking for glory for themselves and their respective schools.

"All right cowboy and cowgirls, it's the time of the evening you've all been waiting for! Here come the bull riders. First up, from West Alabama is Zack Taylor." The applause was loud but I couldn't bring myself to cheer the asshole on.

Zack drew a bull named No Free Rides and managed to hang on for the full 8 seconds and earned a respectable score of 74. He and the other bull riders from the West Alabama team managed to pad the lead and allowed the home team to finish in the top spot. They were ecstatic and I congratulated all of them that I could find, but I didn't look too long for Zack.

As the chaos settled Lauren, Alicia, and Ty walked up to me. "Thanks for inviting me tonight guys and congratulations. All y'all were impressive."

"Stick around, Liam. All the rodeo teams will be out near the trailers for all little party. We would love for you to join us" Lauren invited.

I locked eyes with Ty, "Are y'all sure? I'm not exactly a cowboy and I would hate to embarrass you."

"Yeah, we would love to have you with us" Alicia assured as Ty gave a subtle nod. Lauren caught our exchange and gave both of us curious looks. "Everything okay, boys?"

"Yes ma'am" I responded and Ty simply nodded.

"Well let's go!" Alicia declared and tried to grab my arm. I stepped out of her grasp and gave her a weak smile. She gave me a disappointed look but remained beside me. Ty grabbed Lauren's hand and she shot him a weird look but didn't let go.

The party was on by the time we made it to the area designated for parking the trailers. Kegs were sitting out, while tables were filled with booze, and a portable sound system was filling the whole area with pop country with some dance music thrown in for good measure. This was my first college party and I was a little shocked by how little effort was made to hide illicit activities. Ty walked over to get him and Lauren a drink. Alicia decided to go with him, leaving me standing beside Lauren.

"What was that look you gave Ty a minute ago?"

"Oh nothing, I just wanted to make sure he was okay with me hanging with y'all tonight. Didn't want to be a third wheel."

"Why wouldn't he be? He and I are friends that hook up from time to time but we're not a couple or anything."

"Yeah, he mentioned that and suggested that I should do the same with Alicia."

"Oh, is that something you're interested in? I'm sure Alicia would be down."

"No, Lauren. I can't really do the casual thing. I get emotionally attached too easily."

"And you're still not interested in dating Alicia for real?"

"No, I just don't have a connection with her. I am happy to have her as a part of my friend group but I don't know that we would ever be friends one on one."

"Is there anything you want to tell me or ask me, Liam?"

I looked at her and held her eyes for a moment. She didn't look away and seemed to be inviting me to spill my guts to her but the moment passed when Ty walked up and handed her a drink. "You guys talkin' about anything interesting?" Ty asked.

"Nope, just passin' the time until you got back" I assured him and walked away. I headed to the table and grabbed a cup and started filling it with ice. I poured a ginger ale in and walked around sipping it like it was a mixed drink. I knew that Zack was likely around here somewhere and I was already itching for a fight. I needed to keep my head if I was going to be here tonight.

Alicia came up and asked me for a dance. I have most of the tools to be a good dancer. I am athletic, coordinated, and have good control but I lack any sense of timing or rhythm which is catastrophic. But the music was a simple two-step so I accepted her invitation and joined her with the other couples. I held my own and avoided crushing her toes; then the music switched to a slow dance and she pushed her body close against me. Her hands pulled my back to her and she put her head against my shoulder as she wasn't quite tall enough to put her head on it.

"Liam, do you think I'm pretty?"

I stopped to consider the woman in my arms. She was 5'3" with dark hair that she had highlighted with blond streaks. Her eyes were a warm brown slightly darker than honey. Her shape was small but she had womanly curves. Her breasts weren't too small or too large and her butt looked fantastic in her tight jeans.

She leaned out and looked into my eyes holding her question.

"Yes Alicia, you're very pretty," I said with all sincerity.

"Then why don't you want me?"

"It's not about attraction Alicia; it's something else."

"Can you explain it to me?"

"I'll try. Let me ask you what do you want out of a relationship with me?"

"I don't know. I think you're hot and we could have a lot of fun exploring each other. You seem to be a fun guy that enjoys hanging out with my friends and would fit in with my life."

"All of that is true, Alicia but none of it is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking just for fun. I'm looking for a particular friendship that could be the basis of something that becomes a forever kind of love."

"We don't really have that do we?"

"No ma'am but that doesn't mean I don't want to be friends with you. I just don't think I can be that friend for you."

"I get it now, Liam. I really do and glad you told me. You really don't do casual, do you? Can I ask you a question?"

I nodded; confident I knew what was coming.

"Have you ever hooked up?"

"No, I'm still a virgin."

"Religious or lack of opportunity?"

"Neither or both, maybe. I don't think there's anything wrong with the act of sex but I just can't imagine sharing that part of myself with someone I don't have a connection with. I just haven't connected with a girl physically, emotionally, and spiritually yet. When I do then I am prepared to give her every part of me and hope she'll do the same."

"You're a freakin' romantic aren't you, Liam?" she asked with a smile.

I shrugged and accepted her charge. We finished our dance and I thanked her. She thanked me with a kiss on the cheek and a friendly hug.

That's when the evening went to shit. I heard a drunk Zack yelling, "Come on Ty you've had your fun with her. I want a ride now."

I saw Lauren standing behind Ty while Zack and two other bull riders were trying to provoke him into a fight.

I walked up to his left side and caught a sneer from Zack. "What are you their little bitch? She give you sloppy seconds after Ty has had his fun." Tears started streaming down Lauren's face as Zack sought to humiliate all of us. Alicia came and pulled Lauren into a protective hug.

"You're drunk Zack, and I'm not. You don't want to push your luck tonight. Go on and find somewhere to sleep it off."

"Or what?! I nearly knocked your ass out last time and it wasn't even my best shot. You should crawl away now you fuckin' wanna-be."

"Last chance, Zack" I warned.

I had seen his move before and he was sober then. Now he was sloppy drunk and at least a second slower. His right hand went wide as he threw his best haymaker. I slipped outside his punch and drove my right heel through the side of his left knee. All of his weight was on it and he crumpled instantly. His friends immediately ran to his side chiding me for my cheap shot.

"I warned him and now I'm warning you. I don't fight fair. I will maim you if you decide you need to try me. Get him up and to the hospital. His knee is shot. Do I need to get an Uber for y'all?"

Fortunately, Zack wasn't a large guy and they were able to carry him to a truck and head toward the hospital.

I looked back and Lauren was in Ty's arms. I reminded myself that we didn't have anything and it was her choice. I started to back to my truck.

"Liam, wait up!" she called as I had made it almost ten yards.

I paused, took a deep breath, and turned to face her. "Sorry to leave without saying good night I'm just feeling the adrenaline right now. I hope you and Ty have a great night."

"Why are you leaving Liam? All you did was protect a friend; stick around and calm down before you head out."

"Sorry, Lauren I can't. I need, I need to get outta here." My frustration and anxiety were rising.

"Why, what is it that you're not saying, Liam?"

I looked at her again, considering my answer. "I think I've said everything that it's safe to say. Good night, Lauren. Please pass it along to Ty and Alicia as well."

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

I wanted to sleep in on Sunday but it was game week again. Team meetings would begin that afternoon as we prepared to take on Shorter College. I tried to put the weekend out of my mind and focus on what we had to do to win. I was doing okay until my phone buzzed that evening.

Lauren: hey can we meet for dinner in the caf?

Liam: sure, who'll be there?

Lauren: just us

Liam: ok, but make sure that either Alicia or Ty knows, please

Lauren: why?

Liam: my peace of mind

Lauren: k

I was in the cafeteria 15 minutes later going through the line grabbing some baked chicken with roasted potatoes. Lauren was already there with her cereal again. "Hey," I said as I grabbed a seat across from her.

"You doing okay after last night?"

"Yeah, after I came down off the adrenaline, I was able to get back to normal quickly. Slept good too. Are you okay?"

"I don't know. I had a long talk with Alicia after you left."

"She spill all my dirty secrets?"

"What dirty secrets, Liam? What she told me about you was possibly the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

I didn't want to lift my eyes and so I focused on cutting my chicken. "Liam, look at me please."

Lauren could ask for just about anything from me so I met her gaze.

"Do you like me?"

"Lauren when we first met you told me you were looking for friends and nothing more. You also mentioned that you had your eye on someone. I won't, no I can't, interfere with your romantic relationship."

"I don't have a romantic relationship, Liam. I've had a crush on Ty since last year but we couldn't figure it out then and now he's getting ready to leave for Lubbock. He's a rodeo cowboy and he's going to ride off chasing his dreams. I can't fall in love with him because he's going to love the rodeo more. We've gone to bed together a couple of times because we're attracted to one another and that's what college kids do. But I'm not in love with him."

"I understand and hope that you guys enjoy whatever it is you have. If hanging out with me is causing drama for y'all then I'll be happy to just disappear. I count you as a friend Lauren."

"That's all?"

"Yeah, that's all" I whispered.