Strong Safety Ch. 02

Story Info
Second chapter of Liam Stanley's story.
7.4k words
4.63
7.6k
16

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 08/22/2023
Created 07/07/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Foreword: Thank you for the feedback and encouragement. If any of my details about the college rodeo scene are incorrect, take it with a grain of salt and chalk it up to creative license. Still not to the sexual part of the story but there will be some glimpses in the next chapter.

Disclaimer: All characters are 18 years or older and there are no sexual situations among characters under 18.

Thankfully, I did remain concussion free after my unfortunate interaction with Zack. That's probably why he got off with a simple disorderly conduct charge rather than a felony assault. He was fined and had to do community service but they let him use the same volunteer hours that were part of his rodeo obligations, so he was only out $200 plus court costs.

I got back into the swing of practice. Now that I had almost mastered the playbook I went to my position coach and asked for help with film study. Coach Turner had played Division 1 ball and had been exposed to some of the best coaching in college football.

"Liam, you have to see the details. Sometimes you have to watch it frame by frame to catch something. Start by looking for anomalies. A player makes a weird motion or unusual pre-snap setup. Then watch how the play turns out. You have to become a student of human behavior. Everyone has a tell you just have to spot them."

We watched about 45 minutes of film with him pointing out things I hadn't noticed before. We had a conference game this week and I wanted to be a difference-maker again this week.

Delta State was a Mississippi school with some serious athletes. We couldn't afford to be out of position or try to catch them from behind because we couldn't. Our Tuesday practice was scorching but the focus was high and I thought we looked prepared. I grabbed a shower and headed for the cafeteria.

I had just sat down when Lauren approached my table, "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all, I would love the company."

"What did you get? I couldn't find anything appetizing. Thank goodness for the endless supply of cereal."

"I grabbed the meatloaf. It's not like mom's but at least it's protein. At least I think it is and with enough extra ketchup it's neither dry nor flavorless." I smiled at her.

"Alicia mentioned that you guys didn't seem to have much to talk about the other night. You don't find her attractive or was it something else? Do you have a girlfriend back home?"

"She's a sweet girl but no I'm not really into her, and no I don't have a girlfriend."

"She's from Alabama too. I just think you guys might hit it off if you give her a shot. She thinks you're really cute. Would you mind if I gave her your number? By the way, you never called me so I didn't get your number."

"Sorry about that but I didn't want to cause any issues between you and Ty. I can send you a text if you actually want my number but I would prefer if you didn't give it to Alicia. I wouldn't want her to get the wrong idea."

"So, no shot for Alicia, huh?"

"No, I hope she finds someone but I don't think I'm her guy."

"Do you have a crush on someone else?"

"Look, Lauren, I don't play these kinds of games. I would like to like you but I won't let myself while you are pursuing a relationship with anyone else. Someone I love really messed up their life playing games like this one. I can be and would like to be your friend but I don't mess with people's relationships."

"I can respect that. Would it bother you for me to talk about Ty? I might need some advice from time to time."

"I'm always willing to talk and help a friend."

"Thanks, Liam, you're not what I expected from a football player."

I smirked, "I am not sure how to take that but I suppose I will treat it as a compliment. Are you and your friends coming to the game this weekend? First home game of the season."

"We went to homecoming last year. I suppose I can try and talk them into checking it out. Are y'all going to win?"

"If I knew who was going to win football games ahead of time then I would be a wealthy man of leisure. It looks like it will be an exciting game."

"All right, I will be there and I will try to drag a few others. Good night, Liam. And don't forget to text me your number."

"Good night, Lauren. I won't."

I don't know why NFL teams don't hire marching bands. Hearing our fight song as we run onto the field fires me up every time. I tried to soak everything in. This was my first home game as a college football player. I knew that Mom and both sets of grandparents were in the stands about halfway up on the 50-yard line behind our sideline. I was trying to play it cool and not turn around so I could wave at them like the foolish freshman that I am. I was just as interested to know if Lauren and her crew were in the student section.

Delta State won the toss and chose to receive, I guess they thought their offense was good enough to put points up right away. They had a mobile quarterback in the mold of Mahomes, so we opened in a 3-3-5 defense. We had never shown this package before and it kept the Mississippi team on their hills. The offensive line never where the extra rusher was coming from on any given play. That included me on a 3rd down with 7 to go. I came on a blitz from his blindside and the hit was hard enough to jar the ball loose from his hands. One of his linemen fell on it but not before they had lost 11 yards causing a punt. I was able to grab a peak at the stands and saw my grandpaw standing and pointing at me. I returned his salute and got ready for the post-drive huddle.

The offense was able to get into a rhythm but stalled out in the red zone. We settled for a field goal. This drive we switched into our standard 4 -3 so I would have to wait before getting back on the field. We were doing everything possible to keep them off balance because their offense was dangerous when it found its rhythm. After a first down the defense was able to get Delta into another 3rd and long. The nickel package was signaled in and I trotted back onto the field. We were trying to avoid man coverage because of the mobility of the QB, so we dropped into a cover 2 zone. The QB danced around but we were able to get a coverage sack when the right end, Jonathan Knox, was able to grab the sack.

The punt return put the offense in a great position and this time they came away with a touchdown. By the time the first half ended, we were up 13 - 0 and we had all the momentum. Our offense put another field goal and we were on our way to a rout.

The points deficit made the Delta State offense fall into a straight passing attack so I was on the field for most of the second half. Two minutes into the 4th quarter lightning struck and I scored my first college touchdown on a scoop and score fumble recovery. As I entered the endzone, I saw Lauren standing and shouting "Go, Liam!"

The touchdown put us up 25 - 0 and we cruised to a shutout victory. It was our best start in five years. We gathered near the student section to sing the fight song and celebrate with our peers. I saw that Lauren, Ty, Alicia, and 3 others I didn't really know were gathered in their West Alabama rodeo team shirts. I raised my helmet toward them acknowledging them and hopefully showing my appreciation.

By the time I made it back to my locker, I had messages waiting from my mom, grandfathers, and Lauren. My family wanted to know if we could grab dinner. Since it was an afternoon kickoff we could eat together and they would still have time to drive home. Lauren and the rodeo crew made a similar offer. I answered both with the same reply: Sure if I can pick the place.

We ended up at Three Brothers, a Mexican place in town. As I approached the restaurant both groups started moving toward me. It was a little awkward to introduce my friends from the rodeo team when I didn't know three of their names but at least I had a friend group to introduce to my family.

We went inside and asked for a table for 12. We had to wait while they made room for us but soon we were seated and enjoying our meal.

Alicia was still after me and it made me a little uncomfortable in front of my mom. "Liam, you played incredible today! I have never enjoyed a football game so much. You looked hot out there in your uniform."

"Thanks, Alicia, the team really worked well together. I am excited to see how the season goes. How are y'all's practices going?"

"I almost beat Lauren the other day. If I can get on her level, I might be able to compete at nationals."

"Alicia, this is my family. My Grandmaw and Grandpaw Stanley, my Poppee and Gigi Franks, and my mom, Amy Stanley."

"It's nice to meet y'all. Could your dad not make it?"

Pain shot across my mom's face, "No Alicia, my dad passed away before I was born."

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay, it happens from time to time" I assured her.

The conversation kind of dropped off after that as she was too embarrassed to say much else in front of my family. We spent about an hour at the restaurant and my grandfathers graciously split the check. As we strolled outside Alicia asked for a moment for a private conversation. I excused myself from my family and stepped over to where she was waiting.

"Liam, I'm so sorry if I dredged up some painful memories. I would really like to get to know you more and see if we could become friends. Maybe even with some benefits."

"Alicia, you're a sweet and attractive lady but I'm not interested in anything more than platonic friendship right now. I told Lauren this the other night in the cafe. I don't do casual hookups. Sorry."

"I understand. You like Lauren, right?"

"Lauren is pursuing a relationship with Ty. I'm not sure how I feel about Lauren but I definitely don't want to get in between them and mess up anything they might have."

"You're a good guy, Liam. I wish you felt something for me"

"Sorry to disappoint. We can be friends because I really like all y'all from the rodeo team."

"Thanks, hope to see you around."

"Good night."

As she walked back toward her friends, they all turned and gave me a wave and my family joined me.

"She seems sweet," Mom said.

"I'm sure she is but I think she's looking for something more than I want to get involved with right now."

"Well, be careful whichever direction you choose to take it. A rejection is tough to handle and it can cause problems between friends."

"Thanks, Mom, I'll do my best."

"Liam you were awesome out there today."

"Thank you, Gigi! I'm so glad y'all drove up to see me play, it was awesome knowing that I could show off for you."

"Didn't look like we were the only ones you were showing off for, there were some very pretty young ladies in your friend group. Anything happening in that area?"

"Mamaw! There's a girl that has shown some interest in me but it's not mutual. We just don't seem to click. I'm not interested in the party scene or a bunch of hookups."

"We're proud of you Liam; don't worry about anything but class and football right now. Everything else will come in time."

"Thanks, Papaw, I know you've got my back."

"Hey!" the ladies all exclaimed.

"We're just worried about you, sweetie," Mom said, "You never dated much in high school and we don't want you to end up alone."

My eyebrows went up, "Hi pot, I'm kettle." I retorted.

"I'm not alone baby. I have experienced real love, even if I didn't understand it at the time. I know that I have been and am loved. I want you to experience that too."

"Thanks, Mom. Thank all of you but I'm fine right now. I'm sure I'll recognize it when the right opportunity comes along."

"We've got to get on the road, love you kid and we're proud of you."

"Thank you Poppee. I love you too. I love all of you."

After a meaningful hug with each, they were back on the road and I was headed back to my dorm.

Before I slid out of my truck I sent a text to Lauren:

Liam: Thank you guys for coming to the game. Hope y'all enjoyed it.

Lauren: We did! We enjoyed dinner as well. Please tell your grandfathers thank you from all of us.

Liam: it was their pleasure. They're just glad to see that I'm meeting new people.

Lauren: how did things go with Alicia? She seemed kinda sad when we got back in the truck.

Liam: she made her case again but I'm just not interested in pursuing anything other than a platonic friendship with her.

Lauren: I tried to tell her but I guess she had to hear it for herself. Good night

Liam: Good night, btw the 22 nd is our bye week so I will be able to check out the rodeo.

Lauren: great

The next week and the game went smoothly. I had found the sweet spot in my own life and the team was synchronized and playing well. After a victory over Valdosta, we were 3 - 1 and 2 - 0 in the conference. Valdosta was a run-heavy attack and I didn't get to play as much. I ended with 3.5 tackles with 1 for a loss and 2 pass breakups. Jimmy got another interception off the first one. He loved it when I was on the field. "You my lucky charm, Liam" he laughed.

Lauren and I texted a couple of times about the upcoming rodeo. She had some crazy idea that I should somehow participate. We were talking in the cafeteria when she pitched her crazy idea.

"Come on, Liam. All you have to do is stand there and jump on the horse when Ty gets close."

"How is this even a rodeo event? It doesn't even make sense to jump onto a moving horse."

"Well strictly speaking it's not a rodeo event. It's just some entertainment while we set the arena up for the barrel races."

"So, you want me to jump from a barrel onto the back of a moving horse for entertainment purposes? I have never even been on a horse."

"All you have to do is hold on after making the jump. Ty is a fantastic rider and he will get you back through the gate. Please, Liam." She asked with a smile.

Man, she's gorgeous and I love those dimples. "That's not fair and you know it. Do we at least get to practice this before the main show?"

"Ty will meet you in the arena at 8 on Saturday morning. It's not that hard so I don't think you'll need much time."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, I'll try it."

Saturday morning, I was in my jeans and work boots again. I wore a T-shirt this time because I wasn't sure that my clothes or even my body were going to survive my latest bout of stupidity.

"Morning Liam, glad you agreed to do this. Come meet my horse so he can get used to him before you try jumpin' on his back. Liam, this is Smokey."

I held my hand out to the dark grey gelding. He was fairly tall at 17 hands and very well built. "Good morning, Smokey." I rubbed his neck.

"Here give him two of these and he'll fall in love with you," Ty handed me two sugar cubes.

Smokey enthusiastically accepted my gift and sniffed my hands for more.

"You ready to give this a try?"

"I guess, Ty. You're the expert here."

"Can I ask you why you are doing this?"

"Because Lauren asked me to and I have a hard time telling friends no."

"So, if I asked you to wash out the horse trailer later you'd jump on it?" He asked with a smirk.

"Guess I walked into that one, so I suppose so."

"Bullshit, everyone can tell you have a thing for Lauren, Liam. Even if you won't admit not even to yourself."

"Ty, I'll admit that I'm attracted to Lauren but she has a thing for you and I'm not going to do anything except be her friend."

"I appreciate that, Liam. Lauren and I are getting closer but I'm not sure that it will develop into anything romantic. Our lives are going in two different directions. I have to warn you though, Zack is still really pissed at you and if you make a move, he's likely to take it poorly."

"I'm not worried about what he can do to me."

"I'm not really worried about you either but I am worried about Lauren."

"You really think he'd hurt her?"

"Zack is long on toughness and determination but short on brains and kindness. If she rejects him, he's likely to do something really stupid."

"She's my friend first and foremost. I will do my best to protect her no matter the relationship status."

"Good man! Now stand up this barrel and jump on Smokey when I get him close."

He brought Smokey in at a trot the first time, a canter the second time, and a full gallop the third time. Lauren was right, it wasn't hard mentally, just overcoming my fear of jumping onto a moving horse.

"I knew you were a pussy but I didn't know that they were going to get you to do a little girl's event" Zack hollered.

Ty put himself between Zack and me. "Shut your stupid ass up, Zack. If you start shit now you won't get to ride tonight and any shot at nationals will be gone. Go on and git outta here."

"He does know that Lauren and I are just friends, right? He hasn't spoken a civil word to me since I met him the night of the exhibition."

"He doesn't care. He's just a moron that thinks that Lauren shouldn't give you the time of day because you aren't a cowboy."

"Well screw him."

"We might make a cowboy outta you yet" he laughed.

By 9:30 we were done practicing. I had made 6 attempts and landed 5 of them at a full gallop. I looked at my phone and saw I missed a text from Lauren.

Lauren: You done yet?

Liam: just finished why?

Lauren: we've got some shoppin to do

Liam: for what?

Lauren: you'll see. Arena or dorm?

Liam: arena

Lauren: see you in 5 minutes be ready to go

Liam: k

She pulled up in her older 3500 GMC, rolled down her window, and yelled "Hop in." I had to get in the back because Alicia was in the passenger seat. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"The rodeo is part skill and part show. You can't show up tonight in those clothes. We've got to get you into the right clothes."

"Goody," I said sarcastically.

"Relax," Alicia said laughing, "we aren't going to turn you into a rhinestone cowboy."

We drove south a little ways out of town and stopped at a feed store and ranch store. "What are we doing here?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Getting you some clothes, cowboy" Lauren laughed. She led me inside and into the clothing section. I had no idea that a feed and ranch store sold clothes but I suppose I had never needed that information.

"What size are you?" Alicia asked.

"32x32 in jeans and a large shirt."

"Boot size and hat size?"

"My boots are fine and I'm not sure."

"No sir, your mama told us to make sure you look the part and we're going to do just that!"

"My mom!? When did you talk to her?"

"I looked her up through your Instagram. She's quite the photographer" Lauren answered with a smile. She handed me a pair of wranglers, a white pearl snap button down, and asked "What size boots?"

"11" I replied as I stepped into the closet that doubled as a changing room. Five minutes later I heard a chorus of "Let us see" from both girls.

"Ladies, I don't think that these are going to work. I'm not built like a cowboy; I'm a football player."

"Come on out, Liam. We need to see to be able to help" Lauren called out.

I stepped out and the girls burst out laughing. I wanted to be embarrassed but I had seen myself in the mirror and knew that it was warranted. I looked like I was wearing clothes that I had owned before I went through puberty.

"Sorry Liam but you're definitely right about those jeans. And Alicia picked out a medium shirt because she was dead set that you didn't need a large. Alicia, go get him some Ariat jeans in a looser cut and pick up the large shirt." Lauren was in charge. Alicia turned to go fill the order and Lauren turned back to me. "You maybe not be built like a cowboy, Liam, but you are certainly well put together." I did blush this time. "Go back in and we'll give you the new ones when Alicia gets back with them.