Study Room

Story Info
Kim and Ray enjoy a private room in the public library.
7.3k words
4.63
12.7k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ccmadon
ccmadon
56 Followers

"Hi, Coach Sanders," the library front desk attendant said as Ray approached her desk. "I'm sorry, your normal study room isn't available."

"Good morning, Julie. My regular room has already been taken?"

"Yes, sir. There's a big project this week at one of the colleges on campus and the students swarmed in and took up all of the study rooms."

Ray shrugged. "That's fine. As long as there is a room available."

"There are two left."

"Only two? Wow, I got here just in time."

"There are only two study rooms available?" asked a female voice from behind Ray. He turned around and was mesmerized by a tall, slender, woman with large, almond-shaped eyes approaching the front desk carrying a leather backpack.

"Hi," she said to Ray with a polite wave before turning her attention back to the front desk attendant. Ray's attention remained on her.

"Hi, Kim," Julie said. "Yes, it's really busy this morning. Would you like me to get the other room key for you?"

"Oh, please," she said as she reached into her pocket to retrieve her chiming cell phone. "I really need to get some work done and my kids are... "

"... driving you crazy?" Julie said, moving from behind the desk to go retrieve the keys.

Kim smiled. "Thanks, Julie," she said before turning her attention to her text messages. "There's usually several rooms available on Saturday mornings." Kim said quietly as her focus remained on her phone.

Ray wondered how often Kim came to the library on Saturday mornings as that was his usual routine as well. He couldn't imagine not having noticing someone that looked like her.

Julie then emerged from the side office with a dour expression. "There's only one room available," she said as Kim quickly looked up from her phone. "I apologize. Someone from another department gave one of the rooms away and forgot to let me know."

Kim and Ray glanced at one another and then back at Julie. Ray then asked, "It's not the dungeon, is it?"

Julie chuckled. "No. It's one of the larger rooms."

Ray nodded as he prepared to be walked to his study room.

"It's fine," Kim said. "I can go to a Starbucks this morning."

"Well..." Julie said, causing Ray to frown as he had lots of work to do and no plans to give up his room to a stranger, no matter how beautiful she was. "... the remaining room is large enough for four people, if you two were OK with sharing it."

Ray and Kim glanced at one another before looking at Julie. As much as Ray was not anxious to share what was rightfully his room after beating Kim to the library by 90 seconds, Southern mores precluded him from being selfish when there was plenty of space for both of them.

"Oh, of course. I'm fine with that if..." Ray said, gesturing to Kim, who also looked disinclined to share but trapped by politeness.

"Oh. I guess that would be fine," Kim said to Julie. She then turned to Ray and said, "Thank you."

Julie smiled at the resolution while the two reluctant study partners followed her down the hallway.

*****

Ray looked up from his laptop, distracted by Kim sliding her single notebook and organizer closer to her own computer. She was making room for Ray's ever-spreading mass of papers on the large round table they were sharing.

"I am so sorry," Ray said, attempting to corral his documents.

"It's fine. Really. I don't need a lot of space," Kim said. She then looked at the diagrams on some of Ray's papers before asking, "You're a basketball coach?"

Ray's head shot back up from behind his laptop screen. "Yeah. I'm an assistant coach here at the university. For the women's team."

"Ah. Really? I didn't realize men coached women's basketball."

Ray nodded. "Quite a few," he said as he instinctively gave Kim one of his business cards.

Kim looked intrigued as she studied the card before putting it in her organizer. "It's a shame women's basketball isn't as popular as men's."

"Yeah. Our young ladies play really hard. I'm actually sending out emails now to try and get local schools and businesses to come out to our games and support the team."

"Your games aren't well attended?"

Ray shook his head. "It's pretty rough. Mostly family and friends. And the gym is small. It wouldn't take much to pack it out. It would be nice for the team to play in front of a decent crowd every now and then."

Kim nodded as Ray looked at her side of the desk being eaten by his papers. He continued tidying as he asked her, "So what are you working on?"

"Um..." Kim said, pausing for a few seconds before she answered, "A novel."

"You're an author? That's interesting."

Kim smiled. "An aspiring author. This would be my first book. I'm actually... a butcher."

"A butcher. Wow."

Kim raised a brow. "What?"

"I had never imagined a female butcher."

"Most guys hadn't. I actually have my own shop."

Kim then gave Ray her business card. "Stop by if you're ever in the neighborhood."

As he read the card, he said, "I guess we're both anomalies in our fields."

"Yeah," Kim said as Ray put her business card into his wallet.

Ray then asked, "So what is your novel about?"

Kim giggled. "It's a romance. A time-travel romance."

"Hmm... That sounds intriguing."

"You read time-travel romances?" Kim asked with a sarcastic grin.

Ray smiled. "No. But if you slide me an advanced copy I'll make yours my first."

Kim blushed. "Thank you."

They both smiled at one another longer than intended. Kim then said, "I thought I was the only person that used the library study rooms on Saturday mornings."

"I was thinking the same thing." Ray said. "I'm surprised I haven't seen you here before."

"You don't have an office on campus?"

"A construction crew has been remodeling the offices for three months," Ray said. "Hopefully it won't be long before they are done. What brings you here on the weekend?"

"Running away from my kids," Kim said with a grin. "They are five and twelve and they like to vie for mommy's attention."

Ray chuckled as he glanced at Kim's bare left ring finger. "Sounds like they keep you busy."

"They do. It can be tough working full-time and raising two kids by yourself."

Ray had to suppress a smile at the happy revelation of her relationship status. "I would imagine. You probably don't have time for things like dating."

Kim chuckled. "I can't remember the last time I was on a date. In fact this is the longest casual conversation I have had with a man in awhile."

"Yeah, I understand. It's hard to squeeze in dating during the basketball season. Our schedule is pretty packed."

"That's too bad," Kim said, looking down at her organizer.

"Yeah," Ray said, his eyes on his laptop. "That's too bad."

They then looked up at one another and smiled.

********************

Ray pulled into one of the parking spots in front of an old, nondescript, white building. He double checked the address he had entered on his GPS before exiting his vehicle.

"Good afternoon!" the tall, portly gentleman behind the counter greeted Ray as he entered the building.

"Good afternoon," Ray said, looking around the small butcher shop and seeing no one else. He then pulled a business card from his pocket and looked at it. "Is Kimberly Reed here, today?"

"Kim!" the man yelled as he walked toward the back of the shop, startling Ray.

"Yes, Bernard?!" Kim yelled as Bernard disappeared between two massive, hard rubber doors.

Several seconds later he reappeared with Kim in tow. She wore an oversized, plastic apron, goggles, and a hair net. Ray barely recognized her.

It also took Kim a few seconds to recognize Ray. "Oh shit," she said with wide eyes before holding up her finger. "Give me a minute."

She then sped back through the doors from which she had emerged.

Bernard glared at Ray before they introduced themselves to one another.

"So how long have you worked for Kim?" Ray asked.

"With Kim," Bernard said. "We've been partners here for a couple of years."

"Oh," Ray said, nodding and pondering the extent of Kim and Bernard's partnership.

"How do you know Kim?" Bernard asked.

"We... met at the library this past weekend," Ray said as Bernard studied him. "She gave me her business card and..."

The massive rubber doors interrupted their conversation and a smiling Kim reappeared. Her apron, goggles, and hair net were gone. She was wearing a t-shirt and fitted jeans and she had on a baseball cap with a ponytail protruding through the back of it. "Thanks, Bernard," she said to her curious business partner. She then looked at Ray and said, "Hi."

"So, you really are a butcher," he said to Kim with a nod and smile.

"Yep. This is my shop. Well... mine and Bernard's," Kim said, pointing toward her partner who was several feet away but eyeing the exchange.

Ray glanced at Bernard. "He looks like he wants to cook me and eat me."

Kim giggled. "Don't mind him." She then looked at her partner and playfully said, "Don't you have something better to do?"

Bernard rolled his eyes and began tending to paperwork.

"I'm sorry," Kim said. "He is very protective. He treats me like his little sister."

"Ah," Ray said, relieved at the relationship clarification.

"So, what brings you here?" Kim asked.

Ray shrugged. "You told me to come by if I was ever in the neighborhood."

"I did," Kim said with a grin. "So... are you looking for some cuts of meat, or... "

"Actually, I am."

"Oh," Kim said softly as her smile faded.

"Well," Ray said with a half-smile. "You said you didn't have time for a date, so I figured this was the next best thing."

Kim lowered her eyes and chuckled before looking back at Ray. "So what can I get you?"

"Quite a bit, actually," he said as he pulled and unfolded a piece of paper from his back pocket. "We're having a barbecue for the women's and men's basketball teams and their families."

"Wow," Kim said as she studied the list of items Ray required. She then called over Bernard and gave him the long paper. "I don't think we've ever fulfilled an order this size."

"Do we even have all of this?" Bernard asked.

"Yeah, I think so," Kim said. She then turned to Ray. "And if not, there are a couple of shops we work with that can help us out."

"Sounds good," Ray said, handing his school credit card to Bernard.

"OK. I'll get started on this," Bernard said before walking back behind the counter.

"Thank you so much," Kim said to Ray.

"It's my pleasure. Besides... I was just trying to impress you."

Kim smiled. "Well, it worked."

Ray then nodded toward Bernard. "What about him? Do you think he likes me now?"

Kim glanced at her partner before looking back at Ray. Shaking her head, she said, "I don't think so."

"Damn. Well, I'll just have to order more next time," Ray said as Kim laughed.

********************

"This way, Coach Sanders," Julie said as she led Ray through the library and to his study room.

Ray had already been looking around to see if Kim was at the library, to no avail. He and Julie then walked past an occupied study room where he and Kim saw one another as she sat at her computer. They smiled and waved as he walked by.

"Here you go, Coach," Julie said as they reached his study room. "Sorry. The dungeon was all that was left."

Ray smiled. "It's OK. I'll survive."

Ray closed the door and sat on the two-seat couch on the opposite wall as he placed his belongings on the coffee table in front of him. The first thing he usually did on Saturdays was check the scores from the previous night's women's college basketball games. The first thing he did was to open the messenger app on his phone and pull up Kim's number.

After several seconds of mulling whether or not to text her, he minimized the app and retrieved his laptop from his satchel. Before he could click on his shortcut to the scores, his phone chimed.

Kim: You weren't going to say hi?

Ray smiled.

Ray: I was just about to. How is your morning going?

Kim: Slow. I didn't get much sleep last night. My youngest isn't feeling well.

Ray: Sorry to hear that.

Kim: Yeah. There are definitely better ways to lose sleep.

Ray paused as his eyes widened. After pondering how to respond, he decided to be cautious, but playful.

Ray: For sure. Better and more fun ways.

Kim: For sure.

"Damn," Ray said to himself with a smile.

Kim: Thanks for the order yesterday. That was huge for us.

Ray: The players are definitely going to be happy. And it gave me an excuse to

come by and see your shop.

Kim: Well, I'm glad you got a chance to see the shop.

Ray paused. He then flashed a devious smile before continuing.

Ray: I especially liked seeing 'the shop' in goggles and a meat-covered apron.

Kim: OMG

Kim: Did you have to bring that up?

Ray laughed.

Ray: You were cute. You were like, "Butcher Shop Barbie".

Kim: I was a mess.

Ray: It would take a lot more than that to make you look like a mess.

There was a pause before her response.

Kim: You're sweet. Thank you.

Ray smiled as he stared at his screen.

*****

As Ray was answering an email from one of the University's sponsors, he received a text message alert on his computer:

Kim: What's a good name for an amusement park?

Ray looked confused.

Ray: I'd have to remember some of the parks I've been to.

Kim: No. I need a fictitious name. It's for my novel.

Ray nodded to himself. He then thought for a few seconds.

Ray: Pleasure Island? But I'm sure that's been taken.

Kim: We may be thinking of two different types of theme parks!

Ray's eyes grew at the insinuation. He then smiled.

Ray: Maybe. But I'd bet they would offer killer rides.

Kim: If she knows what she's doing.

"Oh shit," Ray said to himself with a big grin.

Kim: OMG! I can't believe I just said that!

Ray: Now I'm DEFINITELY going to Pleasure Island!

Kim: OMG! Stop it!

*****

Ray continued to work on diagramming a new play for his star point guard as he heard the chime from Kim's next text.

Kim: Why would they name a study room the dungeon?

Ray: Because there are no windows and it is the smallest of the study rooms.

Ray: It's not that bad. There's a couch in here and a small coffee table.

Ray: Room enough for a couple of people on their laptops.

Kim: A coffee table? You must be struggling with all of your paperwork.

Ray looked at the coffee table completely covered with his papers, along with those that had fallen onto the floor.

Ray: It's definitely a challenge for someone like me.

Ray: But you might find it cozy.

Kim: I'll see. I'm going to request the dungeon next time.

Kim: If I don't like it I'll just blame you.

Ray: And what do I get if you like it?

Almost two minutes went by - with Ray's anticipation of her response distracting him from his work - before she answered.

Kim: What would you like?

Ray sat back in contemplation. After a few seconds he leaned forward.

Ray: A date.

Several seconds later - with Ray on pins and needles - Kim answered.

Kim: I'd love that. If you aren't too busy.

Ray: If you wear your butcher outfit I'll make the time.

Kim: OMG. Really?

Ray smiled.

Kim: I'm sure I can wear something more enjoyable for you.

"Damn," Ray said.

Ray: I have no problem believing that.

*****

The squeaks of sneakers on the basketball court echoed loudly through the mostly empty basketball gym as both Shelby University's women's team and their opponents warmed up on opposite sides of the floor. Ray looked around at the few dozen people sitting in the bleachers and lamented his team's lack of a home court advantage.

"This place only holds about 2,000 people," Ray said to women's head coach Stephanie Nichols. "We can't fill more seats than this?"

Coach Nichols, watching her players run drills, said, "You've been working as hard as anyone on doing that. You know how difficult it is to get people to come to women's basketball games."

Ray shook his head as he watched the team. "They play so hard. They deserve a crowd."

"We can only do what we can do," Coach Nichols said before addressing one of her players.

Ray sat down in one of the courtside seats and pulled out his phone. As he was checking his email to see if he had heard back from a sponsor about doing more publicity for the team, he began to hear a cacophony of sound behind him. He turned around to a flood of pre-teens pouring into the bleachers. He looked across the court at the bleachers on the other side and saw the same thing.

Coach Nichols approached him as he rose from his seat. "How the hell did you do this?"

Ray shook his head. "I would love to take credit but I have no idea where they came from."

Ray looked at his players who were all wearing surprised and excited expressions. He smiled as he witnessed the arena half-full with young, loud, energetic fans ready to root for the local university women's team. He scanned the bleachers in wonder until his eyes fell on a familiar face. It was Kim.

As they greeted one another from afar, Coach Nichols looked at Ray and asked, "What's with the goofy grin on your face?" She then saw at whom he was waving and said, "Oh. Is this your study room buddy?"

Ray glanced at Coach Nichols before looking back at Kim as she descended the stairs. "Yeah. That's her."

Coach Nichols patted Ray on the back. "We have five minutes before the shoot-around ends." She then turned to tend to the players as Ray made his way over to Kim.

"You made it to a game," Ray said, elevating his voice to be heard over the raucous crowd.

"Yeah. And I brought some friends," Kim said with a gesture toward the students in the bleachers.

Ray looked stunned. "You did this?"

Kim nodded. She then turned and pointed to a woman in the stands attempting to calm a couple of rowdy 9th graders. "My sister is a middle school principal. She was talking to me about finding a field trip for her kids and I recommended coming to watch your team."

"Wow, Kim, this is... I don't even know how to thank you for this."

"Just think of it as me paying you back for the barbecue order," Kim said, leaning toward Ray's ear so he could hear her over the growing noise.

Ray was beaming as he looked down at the court and watched his player. They were high-fiving one another and soaking up the atmosphere.

Kim then said in his ear, "Of course you could always wear something special for me on our date to show your gratitude."

A shocked Ray turned and looked at Kim as she smiled.

********************

Ray was typing on his laptop in his library study room when he received a text from Kim, who was working in the dungeon.

Kim: It's NICE down here!

Kim: I think I'm going to request this room from now on.

Ray: It's not too bad. Its reputation is overblown.

Ray: It's like a private room in a club. Or a small lounge. It's comfortable.

Kim: Just not enough room for all of your papers.

Ray: Exactly! That, and I like windows.

Kim: Sure. I do, too.

Kim: But privacy can have its perks.

Ray stared at the last text from Kim. Though they had never been out on a date he felt like they were an item. Still, he didn't want to be sexually presumptuous.

Ray: It can. Depending on what you need privacy for.

Kim: Well, I'm enjoying my privacy right now.

A stunned Ray paused as his imagination ran free for a few moments.

Kim: Sorry you have a window to deal with.

Ray: Well, it's the best of both worlds for me.

Ray: I'm in the room with the one long, thin window that's away from my table.

Ray: I'm pretty much out of sight unless I want to go over there and be seen.

Kim: Oh, yeah. I like that room. Nice.

Kim: So we can both enjoy our privacy right now.

Ray sat back in his chair.

'Am I just rusty from not dating for awhile or is she flirting pretty heavily right now?' he thought as he contemplated his next text. He then steeled his nerves and decided to go for it.

ccmadon
ccmadon
56 Followers