All Comments on 'Summer on the PCT'

by Trionyx

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
reader1000reader1000over 2 years ago

A real pleasure to read. Well-written with strong character development. A simple plot that rang true. Living near an Oregon portion of the PCT made it even more relatable for me. Especially regarding the 2020 and 2021 wildfires. And finding not a single typo or needed correction is a rare delight. Well done! And thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This was an interesting story. Having driven from San Diego to the Canadian border, I know what a hike that would be. That would be quite an adventure without the love interest. Great Job!! *****/*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excellent build to the expected ending. Saw it coming with the obvious different interests with Vicki but still really enjoyed the journey. A very good read!

Davester37Davester37over 2 years ago

I’m a new enthusiastic fan! I just finished “Four Summers” and I loved it. This one is even better for me. Again, well written and flawlessly edited, with wonderful, well-developed characters.

The clincher for me is the setting. I’m always a sucker for a setting that has me looking up actual places on a map. This one is very special to me since I’m a hiker and I’ve hiked on the Appalachian Trail, spending time with some through-hikers. My body failed me on a through-hike of the Long Trail in Vermont, and I suppose another 30 years has made that dream only a memory.

As always, thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

A good story, well planned and written. The end after the hike seemed a tad rushed but loved the proposed merger.

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 2 years ago

Lovely, finished it in one hit when I should have been out of bed doing life. But worth it, 5 stars. I must check out your other writings. Also, what a poignant but important note to finish on, about droughts and fires impacting forests along the PCT. I imagine snow falls across the regions are also impacted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

My spouse did the PCT in 2012. Thank you for getting right what details you did share. It made the story better and more authentic, for me. The writing is good. Keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A wonderfully romantic story with a very fun proposal scene at the end. 5*

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 2 years ago

Wonderfully great read. So enjoyable. Thank-you

Adam RightmannAdam Rightmannover 2 years ago

Wonderful, you almost feel like you're there, the romance was slow and built up to a hot climax, err climaxed

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great job - sweet, and everybody gets the happy ending.

poutniklpoutniklover 2 years ago

I agree this was an excellent 5* story and I was enjoying it. I have just 2 small objections: Names and time balance.

The story rather lacks mentioning more local names along the trail, which would make it even more believable. Accidentally, I have recently bought an ebook of a local female author who was the thru hiker and one of the first things there is an illustrated map with some 25-30 local names along the trail.

The second part in Oregon and Washington was IMHO very rushed.

MetaBobMetaBobover 2 years ago

Nicely done. 5* from me. Just ... October in the North Cascades is very tricky weather-wise. Snowstorms can come up fast and be furious and prolonged. Warmer wet jet stream moisture being squeezed from clouds by high-altitude mountains at northern latitude plus cold weather down the Fraser River valley and environs. It can get bad. If you had a good experience on trail there in October, good on ya, but don't encourage that. You were fortunate.

poutniklpoutniklover 2 years ago

The ebook author I mentioned did so Apr 26 - Sep 23, 2018. I guess it is always trade off between early and late snow. Perhaps with lower yearly precipitations in last years, connected to the wood fires, they can start earlier now.

poutniklpoutniklover 2 years ago

P.S.: A good indicator I like a story a lot is my hesitation to leave its main characters ( ..and I love if there is a linked story even if they just appear in the fly.) This is such a story, in spite of it happens to me usually for a serial story posted in longer time span. Their final dialogue is priceless.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Great

Just a terrific and romantic story. Very well done.

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 2 years ago

Great story, I love walking, but too old now to tackle the PCT, but I’m a sucker for any kind of a travel story, especially one tied up with a romance! 5* and keep writing, thank you!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 2 years ago

Hi, Trionyx54, congratulations on your win in the contest. This was very well written and very enjoyable story with good, well developed characters and an interesting and easily understandable setting. Great job!

jflindersjflindersover 2 years ago

I really liked the story and gave it 5 stars, but thought there was one place that diverged from reality.

Anybody who set out to hike the Pacific Crest Trail by herself would have enough back-country hiking experience that she wouldn't need advice on how to deal with a bear, nor be so afraid as to let out a blood curdling shriek nor cry after the encounter as it was described.

TrionyxTrionyxover 2 years agoAuthor

I want to thank everyone for their support, votes and comments. It was a true honor to receive a win for someone who has never considered writing a part of their life until recently.

MetaBob is correct stating that hiking in the North Cascades in October can be tricky. Early snows can be quite daunting and dangerous. That being said, some of the best fall weather is on those few days when the sun is bright and the air is crisp; a secret most Washingtonians prefer to keep to themselves.

flinders suggestion about those hiking the PCT having experience is usually, but unfortunately not always the case. I have met ignorant and unprepared hikers on remote trails and this would be a plea to encourage any rookie considering even short hikes in the wilderness to go with experienced hikers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Everyone else has said it all for me. A well-deserved 5 from an Oregonian who nonetheless wished for a bit more on the Oregon portion. Wonderful hiking on the trail here!

KRD19254KRD19254over 2 years ago

Very interesting and rather cute but for me it missed a key ingredient that would have insured the PCT was really known. The story was all about geography and yet barely mentioned actual locations. Just generalized reginal titles of areas. Nothing about passing Mt Whitney, or crossing Mono Creek, or the vistas overlooking Lake Tahoe, or skirting Mt Lassen, to see the majestic cone of Mt Shasta, to squirt between Mt McLoughlin and Fourmile Lake, to circle the western rim of Crater Lake caldera, to walk alongside Summit, Odell, & Rosary Lakes, to them walk the eastern rim of Waldo Lake, to spy Mr. Rainer, then to see the east end of the Straits of Juan de Fuca, to know you're ever so close to Castle Creek boarder crossing after so many months.

/

You totally missed San Jacinto, crossing I-10, San Gorgonio, Big Bear Valley, crossing I-15 and the San Andreas Fault, Mt Baldy and overlooking the LA basin. The hot dry would be from Morena Lake, crossing I-8, skirting Warner Springs to San the Jacinto Mountains looking east over Palm Springs.

/

Noting these significant geographical locations would have given the story much more context as to the enormous effort and great distances these efforts took them that intensifying their bond. No where in the story did you give a distance context between the 10-day supply drops.

/

I like the story and it's uniqueness but wished for more info of the journey; detailing sex is just sex, we all know what will happen and in LW only scream orgasms are permitted - boring.

/

4.4* due to lack of detail/context could have been a 5*, Hooyah, salute....

And yes, I camped/hiked Kennedy/Troy/Monache Meadows area as well as drove all of the Monache Jeep trial to the base of Mt. Whitney.

NellymcboatfaceNellymcboatfaceover 2 years ago

Great story Trionyx54...

Well worthy of a 2nd place and you got my 5*...

well done.

Stay Safe

Nelly

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

When many other authors rush to describe their characters, you minimized the descriptions and allowed the readers to imagine the details. I liked that. Yes, some of the critics pointed out missing details of places and locations, but that is anticipated from newbie writers. It will develop better as you write more. The scream when the hikers encountered the bear was also a rookie mistake, I think, but I agree that a seasoned hiker would not have done that. All in all, well written for your first try.

burningloveburningloveover 2 years ago

Story was great! Very well thought out and written! ***** stars!

Burninglove

SandyMarlSandyMarlover 2 years ago

I enjoyed the journey. The geographical journey and the emotional journey. A pleasure to give 5-stars.

While I, like others who have commented here, enjoy travelogue and place descriptions; I believe you have done well to write with the focus on Erdoc and Wonder Woman and leave hundreds of miles of trail descriptions to be viewed in the memories of those who have traveled the PCT before and allowed those unfamiliar with the PCT to view the alpine splendor in their own imagination. Your rating and award speaks for most of whom you guided along the PCT and a growing human bond.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story! It tickles many a fantasy of loving in the outdoors. Well written.

A minor gripe is that though soap can be designed as biodegradable, you should only use such soap 100 feet from a lake with water scooped from the lake into a canteen. The soap will be decomposed by the bacteria in soil.

But a great story, I loved the dynamics between the characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I did not think that a slow story like this would have been so sensual. My goodness! I was riveted. Well done.

Radomir1Radomir1over 2 years ago

Thank you. That was a great romantic story.

Great work.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 2 years ago

Just read your story once again. If you can't do the PCT, you might try the AT!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely love it. Well told & highly enjoyable, just right. Kudos!!!

kclovinkclovinover 2 years ago

Great story, great writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story and great writing. Definitely a 5 star ⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟

SunloverSunloverover 2 years ago

A most entertaining and excellent story. I found it interesting because I love hiking and backpacting. That combined with a love story was a real interest grabber for me. Loved it. Thanks so much.

Po8pPo8pover 2 years ago

It was a tragic event last summer,to hear people dying of heat, wildfires scotching and streeping the whole region of its precious greenery.

That's why they say that use your chance why you still may, it's easy for a seemingly easy thing to become impossible in an instant ko

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusover 2 years ago

I am aghast that some have criticized this marvelous story because it doesn't offer enough detail about the multiple points of interest along the PCT. Obviously you write from experience and with great insight. But it is obvious, IMHO, that the setting is not the point of your story. The personal, inner journey is what this piece of literature is about. And, as in Santa's Elf (and its precursor For the Love of Holly), you have tenderly and artfully depictted the birth, growth, and full flowering of love. IRL all too often sex is used as a way of avoiding genuine intimacy; so many of us would rather get naked physically rather than run the risk of baring our souls to our supposed loved one. You, however, show how sexual union is the culmination of a deep-seated and solidly planted intimacy. "It was at that exact moment that I felt closer to another person than I ever had before. We were one being, melted together, joined head to toe and not just at the groin."

Ryan's proposal at the end is enchanting!

Bravo! Easily 5 stars.

clearcreekclearcreekabout 2 years ago

Great story, I've been on a few short portions and always smile when I see a sign along a road where the trail crosses. It took only a week long pack trip to end one of my friendships. However, the hike was worthy the loss. My only mention to you is that no matter what soap you are using, you should not use it in a lake or creek. keep your soapy wash water away from either. I do approve of skinny dipping however!

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

What a great adventure that turned out to be the merging of two soulmates. Well written with great character interaction and a happily ever after ending. Well done 5 stars.

A01butal75A01butal75about 2 years ago
Still

Sill one of the best stories I have read on Literotica after this my third time reading it!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wonderful story. 5 stars. Nuf said!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This is as good as it gets! Thanks for that...radar.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great ending. So many authors on this site can't write a decent ending. Thanks for a wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I felt like I was there. I loved your your style and I was sad to see the story end. Thanks for sharing.

TheOldStudTheOldStudover 1 year ago

Fantastic!!! Thank you!!

oldsage_1oldsage_1over 1 year ago

Oh my! My second sampling of your work and I think I am hooked. Nothing like a simple story well told. I continue to be impressed with your style and clean errorfree prose. You bring so much enjoyment to your fans, thank you!

Cheers

SAGE

Now on to the next fantasy!

BrasskittyBrasskittyover 1 year ago

Die Charakter sind wunderbar ausgearbeitet und die Handlung bereitet Lust ebenfalls den PCT abzuwandern. Danke.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICabout 1 year ago

What a beautiful love story. The ending is so clever. Thank you for writing and sharing it.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyabout 1 year ago

Intense wonderful tale and soulmates are the outcome - perfection

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

One of the top stories that I have read on this site. Five stars.

dawg997dawg99710 months ago

Excellent writing, creative story. Great character development. I've hiked small portions of the PCT in WA state and it is truly stunning to see Mother Nature at her finest. I really enjoyed your effort. Thanks!

t8ntliklyt8ntlikly8 months ago

Still 5* , but the proposal at the end is the best.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I have lost count of how many times I have read this touching loving and wonderful story. it also sounds almost biographical. If so, double congratulations.

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuy4 months ago

A lovely romance with vivid characters whose relationship develops organically during the course of the hike. You also did a wonderful job incorporating elements of the PCT: just enough setting detail to enrich the story without detracting from the characters. Terrific work.

MarrttyMarrttyabout 2 months ago

Absolutely great, thanks. I am bing reading your work, and enjoying it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTrionyx@Trionyx
Nov 30, 2023 I am honored that my story Last Few Days of Summer was voted the Readers Choice for First Time stories for 2022. Thank you for your votes and support. August 2022 I was surprised and pleased when my piece How to Fuck Without Saying Fuck was selected as the Reade...

SIMILAR Stories