Surefoot 10: Fast and the Furriest

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Behind her at Ops, Gorman added, "Velkovsky and the Security team standing by in the Transporter Room, Commander."

Abed at Tactical offered, "Generators on the Ferasan vessel identified, ready to lock phasers and apply appropriate measures to disable it, Commander."

Ensign Utrecht at the Helm finished with, "Ready to uh, move us where you say, Commander."

T'Varik nodded. "Keep the Ferasans between us and the Impala, Mr Utrecht. Mr Gorman, take us to Red Alert." As the bridge lights turned crimson, she continued over the klaxon. "Mr Abed, lock phasers."

*

Jonas stood beside Eydiir and the others, keeping a careful watch on the surrounding Ferasans on the Promenade. "We have to do something."

"We are," the Capellan responded. "We are staying together, gathering intelligence, ensuring everyone knows the Ferasans' weaknesses... and we're moving slowly closer to the weapons displays."

"We are?" Without being too obvious, Jonas glanced towards the few Security personnel among the cadets, who were subtly edging their way towards the displays. His heart quickened. "What about Captain Arrington?"

Eydiir nodded towards the woman, who was conversing with some Ferasans. "She is still attempting to obtain information." Her tone told him what she thought of Arrington's efforts.

Jonas glanced around the others. "Anyone able to get through to the Surefoot? Or Sasha, or the Counselor?"

Soolamea shook her head, looking nervous. "The signals are completely blocked. What are they doing?"

Jonas didn't answer; his recent Command training taught him to find a balance between confidence and honesty in dealing with others, but at this point, his honesty would have told everyone that they he had no confidence.

Arrington returned to them. "They're claiming that there is an ongoing Security Drill; that's what's blocking our transmissions and transporters. They said it'll be over in a couple of minutes."

"And what about what we saw?" Eydiir demanded. "About their forcing the Captain to fight?"

Arrington glared at the younger woman. "Watch that tone, Missy. As for that, I saw some match on their screens, but it wasn't Hrelle. You were probably mistaken; Caitians look alike, after all."

"Um, excuse me, Captain?" Rrori piped up, sounding offended.

Arrington ignored him, focusing on Jonas, whom she obviously respected the most among them. "I don't know exactly what's going on, or why Hrelle has sequestered himself with the Ferasan Consul, but I assure you we'll get to the bottom of this."

"Pardon our impatience, Ma'am," Jonas replied carefully, "But why don't they take us, or at least you, to see them?"

"They said the Alert has sealed the doorway-"


Suddenly there was a noise of alarm from several Ferasans at one end of the Promenade, as one Ferasan appeared from a doorway and raced down the central passageway, pointing back from where he came. "Stop him! He's gone berserk! Stop him!"

"So much for what they say," Eydiir muttered.

Then more noise, and several Ferasans were savagely shoved aside, and Jonas' jaw dropped as he saw Captain Hrelle, clad only in a pair of briefs, his fur caked in blood, pursuing the older Ferasan, his expression enraged.

"Captain!" Eydiir started.

But then Arrington grabbed her by the elbow and kept her in place. "Hold it! We don't know what's going on! Stay put, that's an order!"

But other Ferasans stepped in - only to have limbs or even necks snapped and their bodies cast aside, the air in the Promenade filling up with screams of agony or cries of confusion.

Jonas watched, remembering the time that the Captain had saved their lives by fighting those Nausicaans on the SS Beholder last year, revealing the savage side of the man. But that vision of Hrelle seemed timid compared with this one. And where was Sasha and Kami?

"STOP HIM!" the Captain's obvious target stopped and roared at the crowd. "KILL HIM!"

More Ferasans joined the fray, overwhelming Hrelle, burying him beneath a frenzy of kicks and punches.

Killing him.

And suddenly Jonas found himself shoving Arrington to one side and crying out, "SAVE THE CAPTAIN!"

All of them charged forward.

*

Hrelle charged like a juggernaut through the corridors, aware of how quickly his energy, his life, was burning out of him, and of how little time he had left, and determined to get to Treshek and free Kami and Sasha before it was too late. His senses had been heightened by the drugs as well as his strength and stamina, and he was able to track the Consul out into the Promenade.

The bright lights of the crowd distracted him, until he heard Treshek cry out, "Stop him! He's gone berserk! Stop him!"

Hrelle charged towards him. Ferasans started towards him - but he had gotten the measure of this Pride by this point: they were strong, they were fast... but they were also woefully inexperienced. They may have fought with each other, and they may sometimes kill caged prey for food. But that was nothing compared with what he had done.

A young male charged; Hrelle swung out and knocked him aside without even thinking. He heard a female rush him from behind, and he slowed down enough to kick out, catching her between the legs and doubling her over.

The path down the centre of the Promenade was the clearest, quickest route towards Treshek: a gauntlet, but one he had to run before he died. He saw his cadets in the background, looking confused, looking afraid, but he had no time to stop and explain.

His heart felt like it was ready to explode, his vision was crimson and every breath through his mouth was like falling into a furnace.

He was going to fail.

He was going to die.

Failing was worse. He had been prepared to die many, many times before. But at least those times he knew those he loved would outlive him. Now...

"STOP HIM!" Treshek cried out. "KILL HIM!"

A young Ferasan cub charged right up to him, trying to bellow like he was a big strong male, his claws extended, like they all did.

Hrelle's fist connected with his muzzle, shattering bones within.

Two, and then three Ferasans leapt upon him, bringing him down hard onto the bulkhead, punching and kicking. Hrelle tried crawling, almost managed it, before others joined the three. He felt bones crack. He felt claws sink into him. Teeth. Their combined weight was upon him. He couldn't breathe.

This was it-

"SAVE THE CAPTAIN!"

From one remaining good eye Hrelle looked up to see his cadets charging in a line, carrying blades, sticks, even cooking pots, attacking his attackers.

No! Don't get involved, you'll get killed too-

*

Eydiir had lifted up an abandoned blade from a food stall and moved directly towards the Captain's attackers, the training of a childhood returning to the surface. It was not Cadet Eydiir Daughter-of-Kaas of Starfleet Academy but Eydiir, Daughter of Kaas of the Ten Tribes of Capella, who dodged and ducked the wide swings of the clawed hands of Ferasans who attacked her, responding with swipes at their axillary, brachial and, if necessary, the carotid or jugular arteries, depending on what was exposed or available to her. She was certain that none would die before receiving treatment - just as she was certain that she would not lose any sleep if any did.

Around her, she watched her fellow cadets use whatever objects could work as weapons, or if they went unarmed, whatever training they were most comfortable with: Aikido, Anbo-jytsu, Mok'bara, K'Gressor, Suus Mahna - or at least in the case of Neraxis, pure brawling, the Bolian's beefy fists smacking muzzles and sending teeth flying as she ignored the claws marks she received. And the lesser trained were protected by the others - even Kit, whose childhood training on his homeworld returned to him. A mix of styles, a mix of races, a mix of weapons - it was enough to keep a larger number of their opponents off base.

So much for this 'miserable collection of aliens'.

They reached where Captain Hrelle lay, the Ferasan nearest Eydiir turning, raising a clawed hand and roaring.

Eydiir responded with a swift slice across the Ferasan's throat.

The Ferasan's roar cut off, and it now clutched its throat with both hands, its eyes wide with shock, unable to stop Eydiir from kicking it backwards away from the Captain, and allowing the Capellan to drop to one knee to examine him.

Gods... her other training surfaced, as she looked him over, noting an incredible number of cuts and scratches, dark bruising appearing beneath the furred skin, the broken bones appearing in other places. She focused on his face, his yes, seeing intensely dilated pupils, extremely laboured breathing, temperature high- some sort of overdose. "Stay with us, Captain- they gave you something-"

"Hypo- hypocor-" His voice was ragged over the surrounding din.

"Hypocordrazine," she finished, recognising the signs. "Understood. Stay still."

"K-Kam- Sash-"

"We'll find them, Sir," she promised, starting as she watched Jonas, wielding a chair, was almost caught from behind by a Ferasan youth, before he was saved by the Andorian Thykrill, who had stayed near him, carrying an improvised staff. Thykrill was skilled, and would protect Eydiir's squadmate. But they couldn't keep this up indefinitely- the Captain wouldn't survive long-

The entire ship suddenly rocked, and the lights overhead flickered and a klaxon sounded; Eydiir guessed the ship was under attack-

She looked up in time to see a Ferasan about to drive a sword down into the Captain's chest.

Until a phaser beam struck him, sending him tumbling backwards, his sword dropping from his hand.

The fighting ceased, and Eydiir looked up to see Lt. Velkovksy and members of the Surefoot crew standing there, all armed, the officer shouting, "Drop your weapons! All of you!"

Eydiir smacked her combadge, before setting it on Hrelle's chest. "Surefoot! Medical Emergency! Lock onto my signal, two to beam directly to Sickbay! Hurry!" Before she vanished, she turned to Giles, who was scratched and bruised but otherwise still standing. "Sasha and Kami are still onboard somewhere, held prisoner-"

Then she was gone.

*

In another part of the Bloodstained Shroud, Kami heard the body rush at her from behind before she could do anything but feel a huge, furry body slam into her, knocking the breath out of her.

Next to her, Sasha turned, raising the disruptor in her hand - only to be tackled as well, the Ferasan proving too fast and too strong.

Kami struggled with her own, snapping and snarling. They had to escape, alert the others, but the Ferasans were too-

Sasha screamed as her opponent broke her arm.

And Kami felt something snap within her, too.

She sank her teeth into her opponent's throat, ripping away flesh, feeling blood spurt against her face as she rose up and charged towards Sasha's attacker, claws bared, teeth bared, vision a deep red as she leapt upon the one who had attacked her husband's cub, her cub, GET OFF MY CUB YOU BASTARD!

Blood fountained.

A transporter beam enveloped Sasha and her before Kami could finish off the second Ferasan...

*

USS Surefoot, Deck 4, Sickbay:

Chaos reigned.

Injured cadets were being beamed into the adjacent cargo bay, and those who weren't too bad ended up helping those who were, as Dr Ling and her chief nurse and Eydiir ended up focused on Captain Hrelle, lifting him onto the biobed, activating the overhead sensor suite and preparing the instruments as Ling barked, "Pruhl, cortical stabiliser! Eydiir, 50cc Masiform-D!"

Outside the operating theatre, Kami helped Sasha into Sickbay, dodging around the cadets and crew, her nose telling her where Hrelle was, her breath catching in her throat as she peered through the window to see him. Great Mother, please keep him alive...

"Sash!" Giles and Jonas rushed up, Giles asking, "My God, what happened?"

"Her arms broken, there's blood loss, she's in shock."

Jonas stepped up. "I've got an emergency kit ready, and I still remember my Medical training." Confidently he guided Sasha with him, talking gently. "Come on, Sash. Giles, I'll handle this, as senior cadet you have to report to Commander T'Varik."

"What?" The other young man was clearly conflicted, wanting to stay with her but needing to perform his duties. Fortunately the latter prevailed, leaving Kami to stride up to the windows looking into the operating theatre, watching Dr Ling work feverishly on Hrelle.

Those bastards, what they did to him... She wanted to go back and kill some more. Many more. All of them.

She had killed today. For all the talk she'd had with her husband, with others who had killed, she had never drawn blood herself until today. She thought she understood how someone would feel about it. But she was wrong.

"Counselor?"

She never looked away from her husband, just muttered distantly, "Is everyone else safe, T'Varik?"

"All are accounted for. Do you require medical assistance-"

"No."

She felt the Vulcan First Officer join her at her side, both of them watching the medical team at work. "Dr Ling is highly qualified-"

"I know."

"I must see to the cadets, but I will remain nearby-"

"Yes."

T'Varik nodded and moved away. Kami continued to stare, her ears listening to the dialogue within the theatre, to Esek's laboured breathing and the sounds of the medical monitors and equipment, even as she took in the activity behind her, as injured cadets were examined and treated, and T'Varik took reports from the Squad Leaders and Deputy Squad Leaders on what happened on the Shroud. Her mouth still had the taste of Ferasan blood in it. She thought she would throw up.

Behind them, the Sickbay doors slid open, and now she turned as she heard the presence of a very unwanted person: Captain Arrington, and several security guards, obviously from her own ship. Now Kami faced them, as the woman nodded at various occupants of the room. "There they are! Arrest them, all of them!"

T'Varik strode up to Arrington. "Explain yourself."

"All the cadets that were on the Shroud disobeyed my orders to take no action against the Ferasans! I watched acts of assault, of mayhem!" She stabbed a finger at Eydiir, still in the theatre. "That one in there out and out killed several of them!"

"As I understand it, they took action when it was clear their Captain's life was in danger; his current critical condition supports this."

"They attacked members of a diplomatic entourage! They've caused an interstellar incident-"

That was it... Kami turned and stormed up to the woman, her eyes narrowed and teeth bared. "The Ferasans were killing my husband, you bitch! They imprisoned Sasha and me, they threatened us, they broke her arm! And you're standing there talking about interstellar incidents?"

Arrington took a step back, her hand moving to the phaser at her side, understandably looking fearful - not helped by the sight of the blood all over Kami. She focused on T'Varik again. "I'm taking them all back to the Impala!"

"No," T'Varik countered resolutely, "You are not."

"You have no authority to stop me, Commander!"

"On the Contrary: Starfleet Academy Regulation 105.6: 'Principle authority and command over cadets while on Starfleet Academy property rests with their Academy Liaison'."

"This is not the Academy!"

"As they are being educated and trained here, it is de facto Academy property. And before I lost contact with the cadets, I ordered them to take any necessary actions to protect each other. This of course would included taking necessary action to save their commanding officer."

"None of this applies during Red Alert situations, Commander; I have senior rank here-"

"T'VARIK!"

All eyes turned to the open doorway leading into the theatre, the transparent aluminium window revealing an awake and conscious Hrelle, still being worked on Ling and her assistants, but able to call out in a ragged voice, "The cadets- stay onboard- my orders- personal authority- Captain of- Surefoot-" Then he began coughing, and Eydiir pressed a respirator over his muzzle and settled him again.

Ling turned enough away from the table to shout, "I'm trying to save this man's life! Get everyone not needing medical aid out of my damn Sickbay! NOW!"

T'Varik faced Arrington again. "Captain Hrelle's personal authority on this ship supersedes yours, Captain Arrington. Please return to the Impala immediately. You may file a formal protest with Starfleet Command, but you will do so on your own vessel. Lt. Velkovsky, ensure our guests reach the Transporter Room safely."

Arrington's face turned a particularly lurid shade of red as she sneered, "You're gonna pay for this, Commander."

"Threats are illogical. And payment is usually expensive."

Arrington spared them all dirty looks, before grudgingly turning and motioning to her security detail to follow her out, with Lt. Velkovsky bringing up the rear.

Kami returned to the observation window, her ears twitching as she listened to the activity within. Don't you dare die on me, Esek Hrelle. Do NOT make me a widow a second time.

Without realising it, she felt a hot hand slip into hers - T'Varik's - but before she even realised it, she was silently suffused with a strength and a warmth that she didn't know she needed. Kami recognised it as the preliminary of a Vulcan mind meld. There were no thoughts exchanged, it was more like a hug than anything else.

"Thank you," she murmured.

*

"First Officer's Log, Stardate 36534.44, Commander T'Varik, in temporary command of the USS Surefoot: Dr Ling has saved Captain Hrelle's life, and has downgraded his status from Serious to Fair. The cadets who were injured during their time on the Ferasan vessel have fared better, and have made full physical recoveries. Reports on the incident have been collated and transmitted to Starfleet Command and Starfleet Academy. I have also completed and submitted a formal protest to the Ferasan government regarding the criminal actions against our commanding officer and crew members, though given the diplomatic status of Consul Treshek, I do not expect efficacious results. The Impala remains in proximity, as does the Bloodstained Shroud, for the time being."

*

Captain Arrington stood before Treshek, her arms folded across her chest. "Consul, don't try to pull the wool over my eyes."

Treshek sat behind his desk, dressed in his finest ceremonial clothes, the picture of innocence. "Wool? That's a Terran clothing material, isn't it?"

"And don't try to deflect the issue. I was present when I heard you order your men to kill Captain Hrelle!"

He opened his arms to her. "He was trying to kill me, Captain! He had already crippled the second son of a prominent Pridemaster on the Council! Emasculated him! Left him eternally dishonoured, worse than dead! And he did kill a number of my people, in case you had missed that!"

"I haven't missed anything, Consul. But what I want to know is what set him off? Why were you two meeting? I've received evidence from the Surefoot that that second son of yours challenged him to some sort of duel-"

"A custom among our people, that's all. I invited the Captain and his charming wife to a dinner to apologise for the disruption. But then he started ranting and raving, and attacked us. Our medics attempted to assist him, but he resisted. You witnessed his rampage on the Promenade."

She frowned. She had no love for the Caitian, but she never believed Starfleet would allow someone unfit to command a starship, let alone a starship with cadets onboard. "You still haven't told me what would have set him off like that."

"I wasn't certain at first either, Captain," Treshek informed her. "Until my people began investigating.Then we learned of Captain Hrelle's murderous past."