Surefoot 10: Fast and the Furriest

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Murderous? What are you talking about?"

Treshek frowned, gnashing his fangs. "You are not aware? They kept that from you as well? I don't suppose I blame Starfleet Command for that. Who would want to serve with a brutal killer?"

"You're being cryptic, Consul. I hate cryptic."

"So do I. Allow me to be straightforward, then." He reached to a control on his desk. Seconds later, on the screen behind him, an image of a younger, emaciated, savage Hrelle grappling with a Klingon in a pit, as the sound was dominated by cheering. "We found extensive recordings like this on the Orion market: your psychotic Captain had made a name for himself as a fighter. A killer. He did well for himself, I hear."

Arrington watched in horror as the image of Hrelle gouged out the Klingon's eyes, and to a crescendo of cheers from the unseen spectators, sank his teeth into the Klingon's throat, ripping away flesh and sending blood spurting. "My God..."

"Yes," Treshek agreed gravely. "Captain, I realise that my people are hardly the most pacific, but at least we live by a code of honour, something humans can certainly appreciate. I would never have let Hrelle onboard my vessel if I had known about this horrific past - and I am frankly shocked that Starfleet would let someone like him run around free, let alone in command of a starship - and in command of young and impressionable people. And they must have known; Starfleet Intelligence would have been made aware of it." He turned off the video. "But then with some thought, it becomes obvious how he managed it."

"What do you mean?"

Treshek shrugged. "The Caitian government no doubt applied pressure to keep Hrelle in Starfleet, to give him a command, and to suppress the truth." His gaze narrowed. "If you don't mind my saying, Captain, I am pleased to see your disapproval of this situation. Starfleet has a reputation throughout the Alpha Quadrant for integrity. I would be loathe to see that reputation tarnished because of this... Beast."

Arrington tensed. The thought that Hrelle's murderous actions could damage Starfleet's reputation gripped her, almost as much as witnessing that scene, and how much it reflected in the present-day incident on this Ferasan vessel. "I can assure you, Consul, I was not aware of Hrelle's past, nor I suspect does anyone else outside of certain circles in Starfleet Command. And I certainly do not approve of this. In fact, I will be making a formal protest to my superiors about Hrelle."

Treshek nodded sagely, before rising to his feet, lifting up a datarod and offering it to her. "Here are copies of all the Orion recordings we collected. Perhaps you could use it?"

She stared at it, before accepting it. "Thank you, Consul. Yes, I believe I could."

*

USS Surefoot, Deck 4, Sickbay Recovery Unit:

Kami entered, wondering who she would find here this time. Since Hrelle had recovered enough to be taken off the Critical list and moved into the Unit, the cadets had organised themselves into a ceremonial guard, with one or more of them always here, constantly watching over their Captain until he wakes up. It was an old tradition, she had learned, and though technically not something in the Regulations, she had recommended to T'Varik to allow it, to allow the cadets this visible show of support for Hrelle, an emotional release for them after what had happened, to their commanding officer and themselves.

Kami had been counseling many of the others following the Ferasan incident, as part of her duties - and to keep herself busy while she waited for Esek to awaken. The cadet who was here now was one she hadn't counseled yet, but was one she most wanted to speak with. "Sasha."

The girl had been sitting there, reading from a PADD to him, but now set it aside and rose. "Counselor-"

The Caitian drew up and hugged the girl, nuzzling the side of her cheek, her people's equivalent of a kiss. "We're a bit past that, sweetheart. Call me Kami."

Sasha hugged her back, with no sign that she had broken her arm less than forty-eight hours ago. Then Kami moved to the side of the still-unconscious Hrelle, who lay still, with a salmon-pink sheet drawn up to his armpits. She leaned down and purred against his ear. "Hurry and wake up, you bastard, and I'll let you eat all the fried shuris steak and bacon cheeseburgers you want." She straightened up again. She didn't ask how her husband was doing; any change would have been brought to her attention already. "What have you been reading to him?"

Sasha flushed a little as she nodded to the PADD. "Flotter and the Iron Imps."

Kami frowned. "Flotter? Isn't that a children's book?"

"Yeah, Dad used to read it to me, but I've been changing all the dialogue to make it exceptionally filthy. It's what he would have wanted. How are you doing?"

"Super, thanks." She watched the slow, steady rise and fall of his chest and belly as he breathed in and out. "Yes, I've not slept or eaten or been able to focus on anything for more than a minute or two without thinking about him, but apart from that..."

"I meant, after what you- well, what happened on the Ferasan ship."

Kami looked at her again. "You mean, when I killed that Ferasan?"

Sasha paled. "I'm sorry- I mean, it must have been horrific for you. And who does our Counselor turn to for counseling?"

She nodded towards Hrelle. "Well, when Papa Bear isn't being a lazy kussik lying about like this, it's T'Varik; she graciously mind-melded with me to help me cope, so I can focus on the rest of you."

"Has it helped?"

Kami breathed out, her heart quickening, just a little, at the memory of her teeth in the Ferasan's throat, at her rage over how the other one had injured Sasha returned, and she'd went for him too, fully prepared to kill again. But the mind meld had managed to distance herself from the trauma, let her see it more objectively. Not that it wasn't still a terrible, terrible part of her life now, and always would be, but... "Yes. Yes, it has.

You know, I've counseled your father and others who have killed, told them all the things they needed to help them deal with what they've done. All the things I'd been trained for. But I never fully understood how it felt, until I killed someone myself." She swallowed. "I have no regrets about what I did, but I wish I never had to do it, and pray I never have to do it again."

"I- I never thanked you," Sasha whispered, tears welling her eyes. "You saved my life."

Kami drew her into another embrace. "You're my daughter too now, girl. You were before I married your Dad."

"H-Hey..."

Both women turned to see Hrelle staring up at them with lidded eyes, and rushed up to either side of the biobed, Sasha exclaiming, "Dad!"

Kami was panting with excitement as she gripped his hand. "Beloved!"

He swallowed weakly, gasping, "Ch-Ch-Cheeseburger.... you promised..."

*

"USS Surefoot, Captain's Log, Stardate 36544.85, Captain Esek Hrelle Recording: I've awakened. I remain on Medical Leave for the time being. None of the cadets have been seriously injured, for which I'm grateful. Now come all the legal entanglements that follow an incident like this. Suspecting how this is going to end up, I think I'd rather be back in the coma."

*

"Are you fucking serious?" Kami exclaimed with outrage as she slammed the table with her fist.

On the screen in the briefing room, the figure started as if the woman could leap across the light years and throttle him. "Kami, I know it's a cliché, but please don't kill the messenger because of the news he brings."

She leaned forward, shaking off the hand that Hrelle, sitting beside her, set on her forearm. "After all Treshek and his cronies have done - almost killing my husband, injuring his daughter, threatening her and me with rape, with death - you're just going to let them walk away?"

"Kami," Craig Whitham, Attaché to the Federation Judiciary Council, repeated, looking as sympathetic as he could. "We will be filing a formal protest with the Ferasan government on behalf of Starfleet Command, and taking steps to remove their licence to seek out trade within Federation space. But Treshek and his staff have immunity - at least, to a limited degree."

Hrelle looked up at his old friend. "What do you mean by that, Craig?"

"A Consul is not like a Diplomat; their immunity from prosecution while in foreign territory only extends to activities directly involved with their work."

"Then why aren't they being arrested right now? You have our testimonies, you have forensic evidence-"

On her other side, T'Varik spoke up now. "The testimonies are insufficient to make an immediate arrest. And while we have obtained Ferasan DNA from the claw wounds inflicted on Cadet Hrelle's face, we have no data to confirm that it was from Consul Treshek - and I suspect he would be reluctant to provide a DNA sample."

"To say the least," Whitham agreed sombrely. "Captain, I hate to only ever be talking to you when I've got bad news but... there's something more you need to be aware of."

Hrelle leaned on his cane as if he was getting ready to rise. "Not your fault, Craig. Just spit it out."

The man nervously stroked his Van Dyke moustache and beard. "There's been a formal protest filed by a Captain Lucille Arrington of the USS Impala regarding your fitness to command, and to have influence over the cadets on your ship."

Hrelle grunted, allowing his wife to react more openly. "Are you kidding me? That fucking bitch!"

Even T'Varik appeared disconcerted by the news - as much as a Vulcan could. "This action would be in keeping with her general attitude towards Captain Hrelle and the AWE Program."

"What's going to happen, Craig?" Hrelle asked tiredly.

"You should be receiving official word shortly from Starfleet Command of a preliminary hearing to address her charges against you. I'll be in remote attendance, given my prior experience at your retrial, as will Admiral Greg Quinn at Starfleet Operational Support Services, and of course the Academy Superintendent. It will most likely be held on the Impala."

"To make it easier to arrest me?"

"No one's arresting you, Esek," Kami assured him, gripping his forearm.

"Indeed," T'Varik agreed. "The most negative outcome for this would be your suspension from duty pending a full disciplinary hearing."

"T'Varik!" Kami snapped, sounding exasperated.

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow. "I do not suggest that this will be a likely outcome, Counselor."

"We know, Commander," Hrelle guaranteed her softly, looking up at the screen. "And what do you think will be the outcome of all this?"

Whitham regarded the man pensively, before smiling confidently. "I think it's gonna take more than some false allegations to bring someone like you down."

"Assuming they're false. Talk to you later Craig. Surefoot out."

Whitham's image frowned as the screen went black.

Hrelle continued to stare at it, as Kami focused on him, saying, "Commander, would you give us a moment, please?"

"I will return to the bridge."

As the Vulcan departed, Kami crouched down beside him, leaning on his lap and looking up at him, her concern evident. "Esek, you need to talk to me. Since you woke up, you've been withdrawn, resigned, dispirited-"

"You sound like you're surprised at that," he muttered.

"I'd be surprised - and alarmed - if you weren't all those things after what you went through-"

"Not just me, though. You. Sasha. The other cadets. Hurt, terrorised, threatened. Because of me-"

"Because of Treshek," she corrected firmly, gripping his hands in hers. "Victims blaming themselves for what happens to them is a primary reaction-"

"Yes, I remember - we've been on this road before."

"Yes we have - and you know better than to let yourself get here. Now you, me, Sasha, and the other cadets have survived, we'll all recover, and before you know it, we'll have this business with Lucille Arrington behind us and we can focus on happier subjects." She smiled up at him. "Boy or girl?"

"What?"

"Boy or girl? Which would you prefer we had?"

"Neither."

"It doesn't work that way, Esek, we're not Axanar-"

He looked at her. "I'm not having children now."

The room went silent.

Her hackles rose. "You're serious. What could make you change your mind so profoundly?"

"Do you really have to ask?" He leaned forward, his expression narrowing. "Do you know how many Ferasans I killed or maimed over there? What I b-became?"

"Yes. You did what you had to do, to survive, and to try and rescue Sasha and me-"

"That B-Beast lives in me! Just under the s-surface!" He was panting now. "Not some quantum c-counterpart, but M-ME! And you'd t-trust me with an infant?"

"Yes!" she exclaimed. "Absolutely I would!"

He stared at her sadly. "But I wouldn't. I'm sorry, Kami, but... if I was father material once, I'm not anymore."

He rose. Kami followed. "Esek, you're still recovering, it's understandable that you might feel this way-"

"Sure, sure." He started towards the door, hobbling on his cane. "Excuse me, Lil' Kitten, I have work to do."

"You're on Medical Leave, Esek, there's no work for you."

"Then excuse me, Lil' Kitten, I want to be alone for a while."

"Esek-"

But he didn't stop.

*

USS Impala, Briefing Room:

Lucille looked in her element, evenly dividing her attention between Hrelle, Kami, T'Varik and several other crew and cadets from the Surefoot, to the three figures on separate screens on the main wall: Craig Whitham; Admiral Quinn, an older, snow-haired human male; and Captain Sa'Rahn from the Caitian Embassy. "Our cadets are our future. How they're shaped and guided will affect untold millions throughout the Federation. It is of paramount importance that they are inspired by the best."

She nodded with disgust at Hrelle. "That man is far from the best! I witnessed what could only be described as a horrific display of savagery from him, a display that left six Ferasans dead, twice as many injured, and a number of Starfleet cadets also injured, almost killed, when they disobeyed my orders to not get involved in the incident!"

"Excuse me, Captain," T'Varik spoke up calmly. "But the cadets in question were following my orders, issued before we lost contact, and I quote: 'Stay together, protect yourselves'. Clearly they interpreted that to include Captain Hrelle. And rightly so."

"Regardless of what you might have said, Commander, I gave them a direct order not to risk their lives!" She pointed at an ashen-faced Jonas. "That cadet assaulted me and led the others to attack the Ferasans!"

From her screen, the Superintendent spoke up. "Cadet, stand up."

Jonas rose to his feet, aware of all eyes on him, his anxiety obvious in his expression as he swallowed and replied, "Deputy Squad Leader Jonas Ostrow reporting as ordered, Ma'am."

"Is Captain Arrington's accusation correct?"

"Not... quite, Ma'am. I wouldn't have considered what I did an assault. I merely... pushed her to one side."

"Excuse me, Ma'am." Sasha, sitting beside Jonas, rose as well, standing at attention. "Squad Leader Sasha Hrelle-"

"I remember you, Squad Leader. You have something to add to this?"

"Yes, Ma'am: I believe my Deputy Squad Leader wasn't attempting to assault Captain Arrington, but merely trying to ensure that she was out of harm's way before coordinating a rescue effort for our Captain-"

"What?" Arrington glared, aghast. "You lying little bitch!"

"Captain Arrington!" the Superintendent snapped. "I strongly advise you curb that tongue and allow me to continue!" The older woman focused on Sasha again. "Squad Leader Hrelle, according to the reports you were not present during this incident. How would you know what Mr Ostrow's intentions were?"

"Because I know Mr Ostrow, Ma'am. There isn't a malicious bone in his body. He has proved to be a superlative and considerate leader; his grades and records will support this."

"A superlative and considerate leader might have thought better than to lead their people into a dangerous situation, or to respect the orders of a superior officer."

"Ma'am, if I may speak freely: my own personal history has proven that dangerous situations come our way whether we're in Starfleet or not. And while I appreciate the importance of respecting orders, had my fellow cadets followed Captain Arrington's orders, Captain Hrelle surely would have been killed, probably Counselor Hrelle and myself as well, and you may never have learned the truth. I believe that any infractions my fellow cadets might have committed would be more than mitigated by the benefits obtained as a result."

"Cadet," Whitham quipped, smiling, "If you ever want to give up Starfleet and take up law, look me up."

"If I may speak," Sa'Rahn interrupted. "Captain Hrelle took on this mission on behalf of the Caitian government, and with the authorisation of Starfleet Command - namely myself. He expressed concern at involving the cadets, but I assured him that the danger would be minimal, that they were merely there passively gathering intelligence. And their results were successful; enough evidence was gathered for us to file a formal protest and have the Ferasan's trade licences revoked. I only wish we could arrest and convict Consul Treshek-"

"Thank you, Admiral Sa'Rahn," Quinn replied quickly, "But this meeting is not about the incident with the Ferasans, but rather to determine the fitness of Captain Hrelle to command a starship with cadets. Captain Arrington, we've read the statements and seen the evidence, and so far, all I've seen is a veteran Starfleet officer who had been tortured and drugged and was defending himself and his family - and a group of stalwart young cadets who bravely took on a superior force to save their commanding officer. Their actions speak for themselves."

Arrington turned to his image. "Admiral, with all due respect, they most certainly do not! I saw the rage, the glee, with which he tore into his opponents, making no effort to minimise injury! And it's not just this incident! He's had a history of savagery! The Orions made a fortune off of him!"

She moved to the PADD on the table, as T'Varik asked, "What is the purpose of this, Captain? Captain Hrelle's past experiences are already on record."

The woman was glaring at Hrelle now as she activated a command on the PADD. "Those are mere facts and figures. You have to see what he's capable of."

Kami rose to her feet, glancing at her husband before exclaiming, "No! You can't do this! Please-"

Another screen came to life beside the others; Hrelle knew it was being transmitted to the remote members of this hearing as well. He also knew what was coming, and his gaze averted.

So he listened to the gasps and the protests from the others, in particular Craig. "Captain Arrington, for your own sake you need to turn that recording off now."

"Mr Whitham is correct, Captain," Quinn agreed gravely. "Turn that off, that's an order."

"Get that obscenity off our screens, Captain!" the Superintendent exclaimed. "Now!"

Arrington looked at them, before turning off the recording. "I realise that it's upsetting to see. You can only imagine what it was like for me to see it happening before my very eyes-"

"Captain Arrington," Craig started, looking pale. "How did you get hold of that recording?"

"The Ferasan Consul, Mr Whitham. You all needed to see-"

"Captain Arrington," Quinn followed up darkly. "Starfleet Command was already fully aware of the nature of the terrible acts Captain Hrelle was forced into by the Orions. It was already judged that he wouldn't be held responsible for them."

She stared up at his image. "That's not possible. I wasn't aware of it."