Surefoot 14: Shakedown

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*

Kami had helped herself up onto the table, while C'Rash crouched down and massaged the older Caitian's feet. "He was my mentor. I was there on every one of his shifts, always nearby, even during routine meetings where I had no reason being there. 'Myrick's Cat', they called me when they thought I couldn't hear - or even when they knew I could. I didn't care."

"You loved him," Kami opined. "You weren't lovers. But you loved him."

C'Rash never looked up. "He reminded me of my Papa, all smiles and encouragement." She stopped, stared at the floor. "I should have disobeyed orders and gone over with him anyway."

"He was protecting you."

"It was my job! I was there to protect him. Do you know anything about Security?"

Kami's expression turned sad. "My first husband, Mirow's father, was in Starfleet Security. He died in the line of duty. So, yes, I do know."

C'Rash looked up again. "I'm sorry."

"I don't want you to be sorry. I want you to listen. Despite the hazards of your job, Captain Myrick would still have wanted to protect you - just like Esek would. The best Captains will never see any of their crew as mere names on a roster, and they will charge into a mob of Ferasans to protect every one of them - or keep one of them from going into danger."

"He shouldn't have done that."

"But regardless, he did. And now he's dead, and you're alive. He saw something special in you, the potential to be a fine officer. What you're doing now is throwing all that away. Killing his efforts. Making his sacrifice meaningless."

"I don't care."

"Liar."

Overhead, the intercom chimed, and the Captain's voice filled the air. "All hands: prepare for Grey Mode. We are about to re-enter the nebula to engage with the pirates. We will try and avoid another infrasonic attack, but if it does happen... watch out for each other, as best you can. Hrelle out."

C'Rash kept staring at the ceiling. "I need to get back up there."

Kami pulled her foot out of the younger Caitian's hands. "Do you think you can stop being an ass long enough to do your job?"

She seemed to consider the question. "Suppose I can?"

Kami swung her legs away and stood up, moving to the intercom. "Dr Ling, release Lt. Shall, she can return to duty."

*

Hrelle ensured a final message was sent to Starfleet Command before entering the nebula. Then he ordered the launch of the three pre-prepared probes, seeing them shoot forth and pierce the event horizon, before he finally announced, "Grey Mode."

Immediately the light strip circling the ceiling of the bridge changed from yellow to grey, and the main lighting and other features went black, the warp and impulse drive shut down, and the outer running lights and heat exhausts went dark and cold. They entered the nebula with a slight jolt, carried only by inertia, gently assisted with quick microbursts from the manoeuvring thrusters.

Hrelle was gripping the arms of his chair, and forced himself to release them and lean back, glancing around. The crew was silent, a psychological tool to assist in the overall maintenance of a minimum of vibration, of energy, of anything that the pirates might pick up out there. All focus was on the crewmen and cadets manning the Primary and Secondary Tactical, Engineering and Science Stations, earpieces and data display glasses, reading the telemetry from the probes ahead.

Then he caught the familiar scent, and rose to see C'Rash emerge onto the bridge, looking far more vulnerable, exposed, than he had ever seen her before - a good session with Kami could do that to a person. He looked at her quizzically, murmuring, "Lieutenant?"

She swallowed, her tail hanging still from behind her, as she whispered in reply, "Sir, requesting permission to man my post. Please."

He knew the answer right away - his instincts told him none of the glib, unpredictable hellion of before stood before him now, and he could use someone with her experience and talent manning the phasers when they couldn't use the targeting systems in the nebula - but still waited a heartbeat or two before nodding towards the Primary Tactical Station.

He remained standing, trying to look casual, trying not to keep thinking about his wife and cub down in Sickbay, or Sasha, at her emergency station. This could go wrong in so many ways. Maybe C'Rash had been right, and they should have sought help- no. No, they could handle this. He had faith in this ship. More, he had faith in this crew.

Suddenly Jonas rose from his place and looked expectantly in Hrelle's direction, before moving to the main viewscreen, Hrelle following. The view was a black-on-black melange; he couldn't even see the tiny lights from the probes.

Then Jonas pointed to one area - and Hrelle identified the outline of the pirate ship.

Hrelle patted the boy's shoulder and sent him back to his chair, before nodding to Velkovsky at the helm, and C'Rash at Tactical, and raising a hand expectantly. He watched the ship draw closer, purposefully, obviously having spotted something with their highly-sensitive equipment. Maybe they've even got it turned up to maximum, straining to listen. Yeah, you bastard, open up those ears and get ready... "NOW!"

From the acoustic speakers on the outside of the Surefoot, the metallic assault of electric guitars in a relentlessly driven chant vibrated across the medium, ridden by a single male voice crying out, "PURPLE HAZE ALL IN MY BRAIN / LATELY THINGS DON'T SEEM THE SAME / ACTING FUNNY BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY..."

"Lights!" Even as the Surefoot left Grey Mode for full power and Red Alert, the three probes now surrounding the pirates flared like miniature suns, lighting the area head - and the Ju'Day, as it fired its resonators towards the Surefoot.

"Phasers!"

Twin red beams shot forth, striking the starboard wing of the pirate ship, destroying it completely and sending the ship into a backwards spin. The resonators continued shooting towards the Surefoot - until the spin of the pirate ship reeled them back in, entangling themselves. One of the clamps struck something on the underside of the pirates- something vital, apparently, as the ship disintegrated into a blossom of fire.

"'Scuse me," Hrelle muttered, "While I kiss the sky..." He looked to C'Rash. "Nice shooting, Lieutenant."

She frowned, a little abashed. "That was, ah, more spectacular than I was aiming for, Sir."

"It can't be anything less than spectacular when Hendrix is involved. Commander, stand down from Red Alert, retrieve our probes and get us out of the nebula and on our way to the rendezvous with the Winterborn. Then we can get some exciting work done for a change." He headed for the doors. "Meantime, I'd better go get my wife out of Isolation while she's still speaking with me."

*

"Captain's Log, Stardate 52613.8: we have sent a full report to Starfleet Command about the destruction of the pirates and their weapon, and are now engaged in cargo transport from the Winterborn. My First officer had helpfully informed me that now would be an opportune time to offload Lt. Shall in preparation for finding a replacement Security Chief. But my wife has made me aware of extenuating circumstances... as well as solving the mystery of who arranged the Lieutenant's promotion and transfer to us in the first place. With this in mind, I have other plans for the young cub..."

Hrelle swivelled in his chair as C'Rash entered the Ready Room and strode up to him. "Okay, Fatso, let's cut to the pounce: I never unpacked my bags, so this'll be easy for both of us."

He smirked; he expected this reaction. Even his wife couldn't work miracles with just one Counseling session. "Easy? This isn't going to be easy. Not for either of us. You think you're leaving? Think again."

The younger Caitian rolled her eyes. "Whatever Aunt Kami told you, you can forget it. Nothing is gonna make me stay, so you might as well sign the orders, or I'm just gonna make it hard for both of us - and not in a good way, either."

"Have you thought about what you'll do with yourself when you're finally kicked out of Starfleet? Where will you go?"

She shrugged. "Who cares?"

"I care. Kami cares. The Matriarch certainly cares."

C'Rash frowned. "Ma'Sala? What does she have to do with this?"

Hrelle rose to his feet and stepped around to the front of the desk to face the Lieutenant. "It turns out that even though she's Fleet Captain in the Caitian Planetary Navy, she still keeps an eye on all her clan in Starfleet. She knows the trouble you've been having, and she arranged for your transfer and promotion to my ship. And when I spoke to her, she asked that we straighten you out. And I agreed."

The frown twisted into a scowl. "Well, you can go back and tell that interfering old kussik to mind her own damn business."

"I don't think so. You know what I do think? I think you're going to stay onboard and eventually become the superlative Chief of Security I know you can be. I think you're going to have Counseling sessions with your Aunt, who I promise you will see through your shit as easily as she's seen through mine and everyone else's. And I think that every act of disrespect and insubordination from you will result in punishment, but none of it will ever get you kicked out."

She bared her teeth. "I resign!"

"Resignation refused," he replied simply.

She tensed - and he saw her arm swing up, claws bared to cut him.

He was quicker, twisting around, grabbing the younger Caitian and slamming her face down on his desk, her arm twisted back behind her as he pressed her into immobility. She fought and cursed and struggled and cursed some more, her tail smacking against him. With some adjustment to his own stance, he rendered her completely immobile. "Stop it! You'll hurt yourself if you keep this up!" When she continued, he snapped, "STOP IT!"

The sharp rise of his voice did the trick. She remained face down, panting, her breath fogging the black reflected surface of his desk. "Let- Let me go-"

"I will, once you promise not to try that again. You're a member of my crew... and you're family, something I've gone without for decades. You have no idea how much being a part of your clan means to me... and I don't want to hurt you. I want to help you."

"Then let- Let me leave-"

"No."

"I'll tell Ma'Sala you assaulted me!"

He froze, released her and stepped back. "You don't have to. She's been watching and listening to everything." He looked to his left, watching as the holocommunicator pad on the floor beside his desk flared white, and a fountain of colourful photons rose and coalesced themselves into the image of a large-framed, elderly Caitian female with ash-grey fur, ancient scars on her muzzle, nicks in her pointed ears and tail, and a heavily-decorated crimson-red Planetary Navy uniform.

The holographic image looked to C'Rash with a tight fury. "You call that an assault, cub? If you had tried raising your hand to me, I would have left your tail limp and your muzzle bloody. Now pay attention, because if I have to repeat myself, you'll regret it." She pointed to Hrelle. "This male is now a respected senior member of our clan, and he and my daughter have our full support in helping you. You will listen and obey them. They are your family. They will protect you."

Softer now, more sympathetic, the Matriarch added, "And in return, you will protect them. Esek, Kami, Sasha, my grandcub, all the cadets and crew onboard, all of them need you. You were born with the Watcher's Patch of fur over your right eye. It is in your nature." The holographic image turned to Hrelle. "Thank you again, Esek."

He nodded respectfully. "I'll keep you informed, Ma'Sala. Farewell." As the image dissolved, he shrugged. "When I first met her, I never thought she'd be treating me as an equal..." He looked at C'Rash again. "And I never thought I'd have a family again. I look at you, and I see someone that could be on the road to being like me: driven, but alone for so much of it. But it doesn't have to be that way. You need us; we need you, too. This is a new ship, new job, new territory, and the Matriarch's right; I could do with someone keeping an eye out for Kami, Sasha and the Bump. Someone I can trust."

He held out his hand.

She stared at him, as if expecting another trick or martial arts move.

Until she accepted it. "This is probably the stupidest decision you'll ever make."

He chuckled. "Wait 'til you get to know me."

*

Deck 1 Fore, Officer's Lounge, 0750 Hours:

Sasha stood in the corner, shielded by Giles and Kami, as she scanned the rest of the occupants. "I should go, call in sick, transfer off, put myself in stasis."

Beside her, Giles was tucking into a sausage and egg muffin breakfast carried over from the replicators and somehow not having devoured it entirely before now. "You're getting worked up over nothing. Right, Counselor?"

Kami was staring intently at his breakfast as she replied, "I talked to her, warned her. She promised she wouldn't embarrass you, Sash." Then she indicated the muffin. "You're not really going to finish that, are you, Giles? Your uniform's starting to look tight, and you don't want to have to worry about a poor fitness rating in your last year at the Academy. Not to mention the health risks-"

"Enough already, you win." He handed over the food, watching the Counselor rapaciously tear into it. "Anyway, Sash, I think you need to stand your ground with her. Let her know that you can't be embarrassed. Let her tell all the dirty stories she has about you. Let her flirt with you, even kiss you in front of others-"

"Down, boy," Kami teased, her mouth full of food. "Your uniform's getting very tight now."

"Both of you shut up. Damn, here she comes." She forced a polite smile on her face as she saw C'Rash approach. "Hi, Cousin, long time, no see."

The young Caitian drew up formally, smiling. "Indeed, Squad Leader Hrelle. A pleasure to see you again, and to serve with you." She left Sasha looking bemused as she focused on Giles. "You must be Beta Squad Leader Arrington. A pleasure to meet you too, young man. Sasha and Kami have had nothing but praise for you. I look forward to serving with you, too." She offered her hand.

Giles offered a smile and accepted the hand. "Thank you, Lieutenant. So do I."

They shook hands - but then C'Rash suddenly drew up to him, pressing her body against his, breathing heavily and sultrily against his ear as she whispered, loudly enough for Sasha and Kami to hear, "When you get tired of my boring little tailless cousin and are looking for some real excitement... you know where to find me."

Then she departed, leaving Giles looking flushed and flustered.

"You okay there, sport?" Kami asked teasingly.

"Yeah," he squeaked.

Sasha growled.

Then someone in the crowd announced, "Captain in the room!"

The assembled Department Heads and Squad Leaders drew together to stand at attention as Hrelle and T'Varik entered, the First Officer joining the others, while Hrelle ascended the three steps to the dais, where a podium was set up, with controls for the holographic displays behind him. "Good morning, hope you're all settling in on the new ship, because we're going to have our work cut out for us in the coming days and weeks. This will be especially true for our cadets, now in their final year at the Academy; while the additional squads will provide more study time, there will be more instances when you are called upon to assist with ship duties.

I also wish to welcome to our crew our new Chief of Security, Lieutenant C'Rash Shall. She has extensive practical experience serving on the very front line vessels that we'll be tendering. And you may as well know now that the Lieutenant is my niece through my wife's clan. But I assure you that I will not be playing favourites with her. On the contrary, I'll be expecting her to work twice as hard as the rest of us."

Standing between Sasha and Kami, C'Rash smirked and quipped, "Someone's missing his Second Breakfast."

Hrelle looked up at her sharply, and then pointed to the steps at the side of the dais. "Sit there for the duration of the meeting."

She blinked. "What?"

"Oh crap," Giles muttered, flushing. "He's brought back the Naughty Step."

"You heard me, Lieutenant," Hrelle insisted, amidst the amused sounds from the older members of those assembled. "Sit down there, now."

She crossed her arms. "And if I don't... Sir?"

"Then for the next two weeks the replicators will produce nothing for you but water and drusel. And the crew will be under orders to give you nothing else."

"Drusel?" Sasha asked.

Kami was picking muffin out of her teeth with an extended claw. "A traditional Caitian gruel of cold watered oats with starch and salt, and historically eaten only by penitents and characters in ancient melodramas. It looks like white lumpy vomit and tastes worse. Personally I'd rather eat my own foot."

At the end of the line, Lt. Neheru looked to T'Varik with mild alarm. "Commander, this is not standard Starfleet procedure!"

The Vulcan nodded in agreement, but explained, "You will find that serving under Captain Hrelle is a singular experience. But it can also be an illuminating one."

Hrelle was still pointing to the steps and staring at C'Rash. "Well?"

Her fur hid her blushes, but her chagrin was obvious as she stormed over to the side of the dais and made a showy, defiant display of sitting down. But she did sit down.

Hrelle nodded and looked back at the group. "Right, now where was I...?"

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT WILL CONTINUE IN... FLINCH