The Autumn War Vol. 01: Invasion

Story Info
Sci-fi warfare on a planetary scale, alien romance.
  • July 2022 monthly contest
164.7k words
4.92
50.4k
117

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 07/19/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Snekguy
Snekguy
2,794 Followers

Author's note:

Sorry for the wait! This started off as a normal story but kind of exploded into 520,000 words across four volumes. I'll be posting each volume a day apart, so they'll hopefully make it through the review process pretty quickly. It's by far the largest story I've ever written, both in its word count and its scope, so I hope you'll enjoy it!

PROLOGUE: THE FALL OF KERGUELA

Sickly-green lightning flashed, illuminating the roiling storm clouds that hung over the skyscrapers, blotting out the light from the suns. They were joined by the smoke from the fires that were raging all around the city. Great plumes of it rose into the air, burning embers floating on the wind, the acrid taste stinging Xipa's tongue with each breath that she took.

The clouds parted as something massive descended, larger than any craft that should have been able to fly under its own power. Like a monster from a half-remembered nightmare, it was a mess of impossibly long, segmented limbs, all of them tucked beneath its bulbous belly like some kind of ocean-going crustacean. Along its flanks were engine nozzles, amalgams of organic and mechanical parts, spewing jets of emerald flame as they flexed and swiveled on their muscular mounts to keep the thing steady. Still shrouded in the smog, it was hard to make out any more of its features, but its sheer mass was oppressive. It must have been near a kilometer long and half as wide, bearing down on the city like a falling moon.

The backwash from the engines was incredible, tearing at Xipa's uniform, blowing her feathers like a hurricane as their thunder deafened her. The gale whipped up clouds of dust from the street, stripping some of the nearby trees of their red leaves. Was it trying to land right on top of them?

A series of loud cracks rose over the roar, her eyes tracking a barrage of objects that launched from the near side of the behemoth, sailing over her head. They were teardrop-shaped, their surfaces a blend of off-green flesh and chitin, overlaid with protective plating that reflected the orange glow of the fires with a metallic sheen. As they arced towards the ground, membranous parachutes deployed from their tapered ends, catching the air to slow their descent. Still, they moved like missiles, Xipa watching one of them slam into the facade of a nearby skyscraper. It cratered into the side of the building, sending fragments of broken glass and twisted metal raining to the streets far below, the nearby onlookers letting out wails of dismay. Another of them came down directly on one of the raised maglev lines, glancing off it to land somewhere out of view, severing the magnetic rail. Some of the supports gave out, and it collapsed, keeling over with a sound of tearing metal as it dragged another few hundred meters of track along with it.

"Come on!" Nimi said, taking her by the arm. "We have to get out of here!"

Xipa turned to glance at her, the alarmed yellow hue of her feathery headdress snapping her out of her stupor. The rest of the flock was behind her, Chala and Noyo looking on in confusion. They were all wearing matching uniforms, the white and grey tones of the city guard contrasting with the greens of their scales.

There were civilians running all over the place in a blind panic, some retreating to the nearby buildings for cover, others standing with their jaws agape as they stared up at the unbelievable scene that was unfolding before them. It must be the same all over the city. How were they supposed to maintain order in a situation like this?

"Where are we supposed to go?" Noyo demanded, the trailing feather sheaths on her head and forearms erupting in a display of frustrated red. "The city is under siege!"

"What are these things?" Chala wailed, flinching as another salvo of pods was fired from the alien craft. "Why are they doing this?"

"It doesn't matter!" Nimi insisted, steeling herself. "We have a job to do, so we're going to do it. We can't allow ourselves to be paralyzed by indecision right now."

"W-we're supposed to go back to the station when an emergency is declared," Chala stammered. "Then, we wait for further instructions."

"Our job is to get these people to safety," Nimi corrected her, glancing at the gaggle of civilians that packed the street. "There are people who need our help right now. Half of the city is on fire."

"We should make our way back to the station, but help whoever we can along the way," Xipa finally said. Nimi released her arm, her feathers rustling in a show of approval. "We need to find out what's going on. I can't get a connection to the city's servers," she added, giving the touch panel that was built into the sleeve of her suit a frustrated tap with her three-fingered hand. "It's not a radiation storm this time. The whole network is down."

"What should we do about all these people?" Noyo added. "Should we tell them to take shelter in their homes?"

"That's probably for the best," Nimi replied with a nod. "At least if they're inside, they won't be hit by any falling debris."

The rumble of an explosion made them all duck reflexively, the four women glancing up into the sky to see great bolts of green fire raining down from the spacecraft. A torrent of what looked like crackling energy was pouring through the cloud layer, hammering the city relentlessly, striking a target on the far side of the skyscrapers. All the while, more pods fell to the ground like shed scales, impacting all around them. The great vessel was extending its mass of spindly, insect-like legs now, spreading them out as though it intended to make landfall.

Nimi leapt up onto a nearby information kiosk, rising above the crowd as she fanned her arm-feathers to get their attention.

"You all need to return to your homes!" she yelled, her voice barely rising above the din. "Please stay inside until the city guard gives the all-clear!"

The rest of the flock did their best to help, trying to guide people off the street and into the nearby buildings.

"This way," Xipa said, helping along a frightened male who had a baby bundled up in his arms. The child was barely old enough to be out of the incubator, its tail tightly wrapped around one of its father's limbs, its little hands taking fistfuls of his tunic. Every time there was an explosion or a loud noise, it would let out a shrill yelp, its underdeveloped feathers flashing in displeasure. "Where is your flock?"

"They're...they're at work," he replied, looking on in bewilderment as the crowd slowly began to disperse. "They're hydroponic farmers, down in the industrial band. I tried to call them, but I couldn't reach them. The networks are all down."

"Try to get underground if you can," Xipa advised. "Do you have a basement? It will be safer there."

They were interrupted by another loud noise, looking up to see an aircraft doing a low pass between the towering buildings. It was a skimmer, its rounded hull painted white, held aloft by a rotor mounted atop the craft. They were short-range vehicles usually used for transport or as air ambulances. It was a relief to see that emergency services were responding. As Xipa watched, a green bolt lanced forth from the monstrous ship, striking the skimmer. It erupted into a ball of flame, practically disintegrating in the air. The burning hulk immediately began to fall, smoke and droplets of molten metal trailing in its wake, the wreck landing somewhere out of view.

"W-why did they do that!?" the male lamented, holding his child close. "That was an ambulance!"

"Get off the street!" Nimi called out again, Chala and Noyo hurrying people into whatever buildings were nearby. "Get off the street and stay under cover!"

"Come on," Xipa said, steering the male into the door of a nearby restaurant. The patrons all had their scaly snouts pressed up against the long window that looked out onto the street, craning their necks to watch the spectacle. "All of you, get down into the cellar if you have one!" Xipa barked as she leaned through the doorway. "Take cover!"

Being yelled at by a city guard was enough to get them moving, and the owners of the establishment began to wave people towards the back of the room. Hopefully, they had some kind of underground storage area for their food.

Once everyone was off the street, the four guards turned tail, their boots pounding on the road as they ran past the neat rows of native trees that had been cultivated to provide shade. Whenever they encountered another group of confused civilians, they ordered them back inside, trying to get as many people to safety as they could.

The once pristine, white buildings rose up to either side of them, some of them so high that their peaks skirted the clouds. Each one of them was a work of architectural art in its own right, sporting ornate buttresses or flowing sculptures, ensuring that no two were alike. There were balconies and terraces on every floor, more curious citizens leaning out to get a look at the stormy sky. It was as though they didn't understand the danger they were in, but Xipa had no way to reach them from the ground. Some of the skyscrapers further towards the city center were scarred by weapons fire now, the carbcrete melted like soft plastic where it had been struck, uncontrolled fires raging on the upper floors. The city was arranged into a series of concentric rings - residential, industrial, and cultural - each one separated by a band of parkland. There were no defenses save for the high perimeter wall at the outskirts, no anti-air guns, no landing strips for fighters. Why would there be? There hadn't been a war on Valbara for generations, so why would their burgeoning colony have needed to be so heavily defended?

The four women tired quickly, ill-suited to traveling such distances on foot. They peeled off the street, taking refuge in an alley between two of the buildings, its far end blocked by fallen rubble. It was even gloomier here, but a nearby neon sign cast them in its glow, its pink hue hinting at the kind of entertainment it promised. It was hanging above a set of stairs that led down below street level, probably into an abandoned basement some city planner had overlooked, later converted into a lounge. It was the kind of establishment that a city guard might investigate under normal circumstances, but it was probably one of the safest places to be right now.

"We need to find a vehicle," Noyo sighed as she locked her digitigrade legs, catching her breath. "We'll never make it back to the station on foot."

"Never a scooter rental around when you need one, right?" Chala chuckled bitterly.

"I wouldn't trust the maglevs rights now," Xipa added, fiddling with the panel on her wrist again. "There's a terminal nearby, but one of those pod-things took out the line." The screen displayed an error message, and she struck it angrily, making it waver for a moment. "Worthless thing!"

"Still nothing?" Nimi asked.

"They might be hitting the comms towers," she replied, giving her flockmate an exasperated flurry of purple. "Maybe that's why all the networks are down. What the fuck do they want?"

"I can't believe something that big just appeared from thin air," Nimi added. "Nobody heard anything before the network went down? No warnings at all?"

"I don't have any missed alerts," Xipa replied. "What is this? Are we at war with somebody? Are they aliens?"

"We've been living on this moon for twenty rotations, you'd think we'd notice if there were any aliens here," Chala scoffed.

"You got a better explanation?" Nimi snapped. "There's a giant crustacean the size of a spaceport terminal hovering over the city, if you hadn't noticed."

"But, why would they attack us?" Chala demanded. "We don't even have a military, we don't have any weapons. Why would a species with the technology and the resources to cross the stars bomb a city and shoot down hospital skimmers? That doesn't make any sense."

"Is this it?" Noyo asked in disbelief. "Is this what first contact is like? Some giant ship appears over our population centers and turns them to rubble?"

"It doesn't matter right now," Nimi said, the other three turning to her. "We need to focus on getting back to the station and linking up with the rest of the guard. They'll know more than we do by now."

When they had caught their breath, they made their way out into the street again, their heads on a swivel as they took in the carnage. Most of the damage seemed to be far-off, but it was impossible to ignore the plumes of smoke on the horizon. They walked for a while longer, advising all of the civilians that they encountered to go back inside their homes. It wasn't long before they came across a glass awning where two dozen scooters were parked in a rack - two-wheeled transports with a long handle that were favored for traveling longer distances in the city.

"Finally," Nimi grumbled, tapping at the touch panel that would release the locks. It was mounted on one of the chrome pillars that held up the awning. When that didn't work, she tried scanning her wrist computer across it, cocking her head in confusion.

"Network's down," Xipa explained. "The system can't check in to authorize a rental."

"Damn it," Nimi sighed. "Hang on, maybe I can short it out," she added as she popped a maintenance panel on the pillar.

As they waited, there was a sound of tearing metal, Xipa turning her head to see one of the misshapen pods glancing off the side of a building behind them. It impacted perhaps twenty floors up, tearing a deep groove in the material, skipping off it like a stone. The membranous parachute tore, and the thing began to arc towards them, Xipa yelling a warning. The four women darted for the safety of another nearby alley, but the pod sailed over their heads, cratering into the road ahead of them. It tore it up like a plow, leaving a deep furrow, finally coming to a rest.

Slowly, Xipa crept out onto the street, her flock following warily. The object was larger than it had first appeared, perhaps fifteen or twenty meters long. Its surface was covered in uneven, organic material that looked like mottled flesh, which was overlaid with plates of bone. That, too, was covered over with metal armor that was concentrated towards the rounded front of the thing. The tattered parachute was hanging from the tapered end by sinewy cables, the brown-colored, leathery fabric draped across the road.

Some civilians from the nearby buildings were starting to come out now, craning their necks to get a look, their feathers flashing in shades of curiosity and apprehension. Xipa sprang into action, waving them back, the strangers seeming relieved to see a city guard on the scene.

"Keep away from it!" she warned, putting herself between them and the object. She could feel the heat coming off it, even from a distance.

"What is it?" one of the braver females asked, her flock grouped up behind her.

"We don't know," Xipa replied, her companions helping to keep the onlookers at a safe distance.

"Could it be...unexploded munitions?" Nimi suggested, leaning closer to whisper so as not to cause a panic. "A bomb that hasn't gone off?"

"I haven't seen any of them explode yet," Xipa said, keeping her voice low. "Whatever it is, it's nothing good. We need to get these people out of here."

Before Nimi could reply, a great chunk of the pod suddenly popped off, ejected into the air with a hiss of escaping gasses. The thirty or so onlookers darted back as it landed on the street with a metallic clang, bouncing off the asphalt before coming to a stop. It was a large, vaguely ovular piece of shell, its underside covered in what could only be described as wet meat. Xipa's feathers flashed with fear as her eyes wandered up to the hole that it had left in the pod, a jagged wound revealing a fleshy interior, shrouded in shadow.

She reached for the stun gun on her belt reflexively, her fingers gripping the polymer handle as though it might provide her some comfort. It was a close-range weapon designed to incapacitate with an electric current, nothing more. Raising her other arm, she tried to ward the crowd back, but they were too transfixed by the odd sight to pay her any mind.

A glint of color caught the light, a vibrant, iridescent orange. It was a three-fingered hand, not so different from her own, gripping the lip of the orifice. It was covered in what looked like a hard shell, or maybe some kind of armored suit.

The crowd looked on with bated breath as a head rose into view. It was rounded, more like a helmet than a skull, a branching horn like that of a beetle sprouting from its forehead. It peered back at them with a pair of lens-like, compound eyes, each one as large as a balled fist. Instead of a mouth, it had what resembled a set of mandibles, little finger-like appendages that flexed and snapped.

"That's a fucking alien!" Chala hissed, her eyes as wide as Xipa had ever seen them. The thing flinched as her feathers flashed yellow in surprise, Xipa gesturing for her to keep still.

"Don't make any sudden movements!" she warned.

There was a low murmur from the crowd, some of them slowly retreating, others watching in fascination. The creature was oddly beautiful, its carapace catching the light to make it shine, the hues shifting subtly as it moved. More of them rose up behind it, each one with a different color. There were blues, reds, greens - every color of the rainbow.

"What do you think they're doing?" Nimi whispered, sidling up beside Xipa.

"They're probably as curious about us as we are of them," she replied. Was it too much to hope that this whole attack might be some kind of misunderstanding? Slowly, she moved her hand away from her stun gun, raising her scaly palms to show that she wasn't armed.

There was a sudden rush of movement, one of the aliens lifting a long, orange tube made from some kind of uneven resin. It pointed the thing into the crowd, a pair of metal rails on the near end crackling with arcs of green energy as the air filled with an electrical hum. The creature never gave any warning, never made any attempt to communicate what it wanted, it just started to fire.

Bolts of green energy poured into the crowd, burning whoever they touched like acid, the stench of charred flesh rising to Xipa's nostrils as she watched people start to drop. It took a moment for panic to set in, as though nobody could process what was happening, then they began to run. The alien's companions lifted themselves out of the pod, dropping to the shattered street below, Xipa getting a better view of the things. They were bipedal insects, with two digitigrade legs and four segmented arms, their gaunt bodies encased in a shining exoskeleton.

Xipa was frozen to the spot like a statue, even as the aliens raised their two-pronged pistols, shooting them at the fleeing citizens. Those crackling bolts burned through clothing and flesh like paper, sending their wailing victims skidding to the ground, writhing as their bodies cooked.

The insects still inside the pod were laying down covering fire as though it was necessary, as if their unarmed victims were firing back at them, but they weren't. It didn't make any sense...

She finally snapped out of her stupor as Nimi grabbed her by the arm, her feather sheath coiling around her limb like a tentacle as she dragged her away.

"Run!" she yelled, the flock joining the fleeing citizens. They darted back into the nearby alley, Xipa leaning out to get another glimpse of the aliens, her breath coming in ragged bursts. They were pouring out of the pod now, two or three dozen of them, popping shields made of wavering energy that were mounted on their forearms. They stalked between the bodies, their mandibles clicking as they examined the dead, fanning out into a wide formation to begin their advance down the street. They were still loosing off shots, the occasional screams of their victims making Chala cover her ears.

Snekguy
Snekguy
2,794 Followers