Surefoot 59: The Burning World

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Convince him what, not to worry about his cub? Good luck with that."

Zir watched as the human woman rose and paced again... but could see from her expression that she wasn't acting conflicted... but calculating. It was something remarkably similar to what she had seen from Captain Hrelle during moments of crisis: there was no confusion, no ambivalence here; the Lieutenant had already made up her mind, one way or another, and it was now a matter of working out the details.

Then Sasha stopped and looked at her again. "What do you know about Gault?"

Zir's brow creased with thought, feeling for a moment like a cadet again under the scrutiny of an instructor. "It's remote but fertile in farmlands. There's about ten to twenty thousand people there, spread out in small communes, operating and maintaining the automated farm machineries. No defences or outposts."

Sasha still paced and nodded, more to herself than to her, before asking now, "Is there anyone else there he's worried about? Family, I mean?"

Zir still frowned, wondering why she was asking all this. "Well, I suppose there's Abby's mother, but I never got the impression that she meant anything to Peter other than being a friend. He was planning on taking full custody of Abby when he was allowed to by Starfleet."

Sasha stopped, nodding to herself. "Thank you."

"For what, Ma'am?"

"For trusting me with this. And don't call me Ma'am." She beckoned to Zir. "Come on, I have to talk with my friends about what we're gonna do about this."

The human was pacing quickly back to the others, Zir catching up. "You are going to stop Peter, aren't you?"

Sasha didn't respond.

A minute later, she called her friends away to speak with them, leaving Zir with her own, Tori asking, "What the Hell's going on, Zir? Are these old skidmarks gonna help us, or not?"

"Don't talk like that, Tor. They're not bad people."

Stalac rumbled at her feet. "Agreed. I have had some interesting scientific discussions with Lt Kitirik, in his new capacity as Chief Science Officer. He has been most encouraging to me, and the others."

Astrid's gaze stayed fixed on Giles' rear as he departed. "Well, our new Chief Helmsman hasn't been encouraging enough for my tastes."

Zir frowned reprovingly. "No! He's your departmental head! You're supposed to be working under him!"

"Stop feeding her straight lines," Tori warned.

Urad sat, with a huge pile of newly-replicated food before him. "Well, I hope they will be honourable enough to assist us. I am most worried about Comrade Peter, I can barely eat." He paused and looked up. "What?"

*

Eydiir crossed her arms after Sasha filled them in. "It must be done. Peter Boone is an honourable, hard-working man, who loves his daughter." Eydiir frowned. "It will be risky, though."

Neraxis shrugged, looking to Sasha. "But not impossible. Your ship's cloaking device might get us through."

Sasha raised a hand. "The Prowl unit is not a cloaking device. It's just a piece of stealth technology that uses selective bending of light and other energy to render the ship invisible to the electromagnetic spectrum and to most sensors."

"That's literally the definition of a cloaking device," Jonas quipped.

"Forgive me, Best Friend Sasha," Kit interjected gently. "Are you suggesting that we defy orders to venture into occupied territory?"

"Orders? What orders, Kit? We haven't received any orders not to go to Gault."

"But if you contacted the Most Respected Captain-"

"Then he might say No. We'll sneak in, find the cub, bring her back... and put together an Intelligence report on the Dominion forces we find there. It's a Win-Win Scenario."

"Unless they choose to throw the book at all of us," Giles offered soberly.

The others exchanged glances.

"I'm rescuing this cub," Sasha finally declared. "If my Dad, the whole of Starfleet, wants to rip me a new one, they're all welcome to try."

"You will need assistance," Eydiir announced, more a statement than a question.

"No, I won't. I can handle it. You guys stay here, enjoy yourselves. You come with me, you'll get in trouble."

"We will anyway, Best Friend Sasha," Kit informed her. "Should you leave with your ship, and we are unexpectedly recalled to the Fleet, we will have no transportation. And if we're questioned, and reveal we allowed you to leave and not inform them, we will still be in trouble."

"So will the Squabs," Neraxis indicated. "You can't leave them here either, for the same reasons."

Sasha grunted. "It'll be tight with all eleven of us packed in. Especially with that big mountain Urad... and what about the Horta?"

"His name is Ensign Stalac, Best Friend Sasha," Kit clarified. "And I believe the variable environmental facilities of the Auxiliary Storage Compartment in your esteemed vessel would allow it to be an ideal sleeping and resting berth for him."

"And your ship has a much more powerful engine than the shuttle," Giles reminded her. "We can get to Gault in, say, a day and a half. In and out again, and be back before anyone even asks about us."

Sasha looked around her friends once more, both grateful and anxious. "This could be dangerous. I'm not going in looking for trouble, but... well, any of you want to stay behind anyway-"

"I want to be doing something," Jonas declared, looking around. "I'm gonna be bored shitless here."

Neraxis smirked, wrapping a beefy arm around her husband's shoulder. "He's just worried the non-stop sex while we're here leaves him with a permanent limp. Well, you'll need someone at your Weapons station in case things get tasty."

"And Engineering," Jonas added.

Giles grinned, looking at Sasha. "I'm looking forward to giving your ship a good workout."

Eydiir crossed her arms. "I was ready to leave five minutes ago."

Kit looked around his friends as well. "I will come, and bring my insects with me. I believe it will be necessary. After all..."

"Uh oh," Giles muttered. "Brace yourselves."

"After all," Kit continued, regardless. "We'll be entering a no-fly zone."

The others moaned.

Sasha allowed herself a smile, knowing she was less likely to be smiling after her Dad finds out what she was doing.

*

The New Alpha Squad watched the Old Alpha Squad return, Tori crossing her arms as she muttered under her breath, "Look out, here come the Old Farts."

Zir shot her a dirty look as she rose and approached Sasha, feeling challenging. "Lieutenant, as much as we appreciate your help, we'd like to know what you intend to do about Peter. No messing about, just talk to us straight. Okay?"

Sasha stopped in front of her, matching her posture. "Okay: your team and mine are heading out in my ship, we're collecting Mr Boone, and then we're proceeding to Gault to rescue his daughter, gather what intelligence we can on the enemy, and then head back." She blinked. "Is that straight enough for you, Ensign?"

Zir blinked at the turn of events. "Yes, Ma'am!"

"Don't call me Ma'am. Return to your cabins, gather your crap and meet us at the Hangar Bay, we're leaving as soon as possible." She turned to her own Squad. "Let's pack up ourselves, I want to be on our way within the hour! And Kit, if any of those beetles escape to infest my ship, you'll be on my menu!"

Everyone moved to action, and Zir turned back to her squadmates. Wow... Sasha Hrelle really was her father's daughter...

*

Zir and the others were marching along the corridors with their gathered luggage, except for Stalac, who slithered up beside her as best he could. "Zir... there will be eleven of us onboard a little shuttle... thirteen when we collect Peter and his daughter... perhaps I should remain behind?"

"Nope."

The Horta rumbled from more than his locomotive muscles working overtime to keep up with her. "Zir... it will be uncomfortable..."

"It might not be that bad," she tried to assure him as they entered the Hangar Bay, though she wasn't as sure of that herself. Even the largest Starfleet shuttlecraft will make things tight for over a dozen occupants-

Then she stopped and saw Lt Hrelle's ship: not a Starfleet shuttle, as she had expected, but one of alien design, an aerodynamic, delta-shaped craft larger than any shuttle or runabout Zir had seen before, larger than any other vehicle here, and sporting a wicked-looking black and gold colour scheme, more like some pleasure or racing craft than anything else.

Her friends stopped with her, Astrid moaning. "Oh my God, I am in love. No, lust. I need a change of panties."

"Ensign!" Zir scolded.

"Ignore her, she's kidding," Tori suggested, gazing at the ship herself. "Like she ever wears any panties to begin with."

"How does a Starfleet Lieutenant afford a private craft like that, Comrades?" Urad demanded, looking it over.

"It was a present I believe," Stalac responded. "Lt Hrelle has influential familial connections."

The Hroch harrumphed. "Such things should be earned. I do not like people of privilege." Then he glanced at Astrid. "Present company excepted, Comrade."

The young woman shrugged, her usual insouciance momentarily lapsed. "My days of privilege ended long ago."

"Enough talk," Zir ordered, marching ahead and trying not to act or react like some envious child. She had heard many rumours about the Captain's Daughter ever since Zir arrived on the Surefoot, and had only expected half of them to be true. The human certainly proved to be a formidable standard to work towards.

The woman in question stood by an open side hatch, waving to them. "Come on, Squabs, we're clear to go by the Claridon!"

"I hope they have sufficient foodstuffs onboard," Urad grumbled. "Or I will eat one of them."

Zir tightened her hold on her shoulder bag and glanced at her squad with annoyance. "They're helping us with Peter and Abby. Behave. Remember who you are."

"Yeah," Tori mumbled, sticking her chin out. "The New and Improved Alpha Squad."

Zir started to admonish her, but then stopped. It was going to be a long trek, no matter how fast this luxury yacht of hers might go.

The interior of the ship was economical in its use of space, with a central corridor running from a rear storage area and lounge, to flanking cabins, leading to a forward cockpit, with some impressive equipment, even a transporter pad, weapons locker and several replicators between.

The Old Alpha Squad was onboard, stowing gear or running checks from cockpit stations, as Sasha described, "The Tailless has got 9 bunks: 4 double berths and my single. We'll come up with a rota so we'll not get on people's nerves." She looked past Zir to the others, especially Urad and Stalac. "We'll make some adjustments for your people along the way."

"They'll be fine, Lieutenant," Zir assured her, a little more sharply than she might have preferred.

Sasha nodded. "Glad to hear it, Ensign. Stow your gear in the aft compartment, and under any of the lower bunks in the double berths." She turned away.

*

In the depths of space, Sasha sat in the pilot's seat of the Tailless, keying in some commands and nodding to herself. "Getting some updates... a few vessels had fled Gault as the Dominion entered and took over, they might be able to offer some-" She paused and smiled as she read through the data scrolls. "There: the Eeline, a Caitian Merchantfleet grain freighter exporting produce to the colonies on Azure Aura." She keyed in another command. "Owned and operated by a Captain Huhanh."

"You think a civilian ship will be able to offer any usable data?" Giles, sitting in the adjacent co-pilot's chair, asked.

Sasha nodded. "Caitian Merchantfleet Regulations require vessels to maintain high-quality sensor packages, to record potential threats they might encounter-"

She stopped as the viewscreen before her came to life, displaying a much larger Bridge than her own, crewed by Caitians. One of them, a uniformed, high-ranking, middle-aged male with charcoal streaks in his snowy fur, dominated the screen as he regarded her. "May I assist you?"

Sasha nodded. "Captain Huhanh, I presume?"

"You presume correctly. Who are you?

"Lieutenant Sasha Hrelle. Thank you for taking my call, I'm sorry to bother you, but I understand you just left the Gault system?"

Huhanh grunted. "Barely. We had a Dominion task force nipping at our tails all the way. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I'm proceeding there, so I'm looking for some information on the forces that we'll encounter."

The Caitian's furred brow creased. "You'd be a fool for wanting to go there, Lieutenant."

Sasha smirked. "I've been called worse. But needs must, and the sensor data from your ship's recorders would be greatly appreciated, to give us an idea of what we'll be facing."

"I'm sure it would be, Lieutenant, but it won't be possible. Security restrictions prevent the release of data to anyone but recognised Caitian authorities."

"I understand, Captain... but if it helps, I am Caitian. And I have some relevant authority beyond my Starfleet credentials."

Huhanh smirked. "You? Caitian?"

She nodded, having received similar reactions from other Caitians. "Believe it or not, I hold Caitian citizenship. My father is Captain Esek Hrelle of the Surefoot. My grandmother is Fleet Captain Ma'Sala Shall of the Planetary Navy. And... I am a Kaetini."

His amusement turned to disdain. "What? YOU'RE claiming to be a Kaetini? That's not funny, Lieutenant! I'll be making a complaint to your superiors! You humans might be content to deploy such deceptions to gain what you want, but the Kaetini are a revered part of my culture!"

"Our culture, Captain. Contact the Mother's Fury, on Priority Channel 875-020-709, and speak with the Fleet Captain yourself. She'll vouch for me, and my claims."

"Why should I waste my time with such a pointless exercise, Lieutenant?"

"Because it's better for you to do so than not do so, and later on face Fleet Captain Shall demanding to know why you obstructed me."

Huhanh stared at her across the light years, before nodding to someone off-screen, grumbling. "This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. A tailless ape thinking herself Caitian, and a Kaetini. It's disgusting..."

Sasha reached down beside her chair, lifting up her sheathed sword, displaying the decorated hilt, before grasping it and drawing it out of the scabbard enough to reveal some of the black arakanium blade, as she spoke again. "'I am Kaetini: a Warrior of the Great Mother. I am Her Eyes, and I am Her Ears. I am Her Teeth, and I am Her Claws. I am Her Purr, and I am Her Roar. I will defend the Living, and I will avenge the Dead. And I will give my life to protect the Motherworld and Her people.'"

Huhanh reacted to her reciting the oath with naked astonishment, until someone on his side motioned to him. He fitted a receiver into his right ear, still staring at Sasha with suspicion as he spoke to whomever was on the other end of his earpiece. "Is this Fleet Captain Shall? This is Captain Huhanh of the freighter Eeline. I am currently communicating with a human female Starfleet officer, a Lieutenant Sasha Hrelle, who is requesting our ship's sensor data about the system we just departed." He smirked again. "She claims to be Kaetini. And your granddaughter."

The smirk dropped as he heard a reply through his receiver.

Then he somehow straightened up in place some more. "Yes, Ma'am. No, Ma'am! No, no disrespect was intended to your granddaughter, I can assure-" His anxious expression turned to someone to his left. "Msheer! Send the data the Lieutenant requested! NOW!" He focused on Sasha again. "Is there anything else I can do for you, Lieutenant?"

Sasha suppressed a smile as she returned her sword to her side, looking at Giles to confirm from his station that the requested data was received. "Thank you, but no. Please pass on my regards to my grandmother, and my wish to see her again soon on the Motherworld."

"Of course, I-" He paused, as he obviously listened to Ma'Sala through his earpiece. "Your grandmother- I mean, Fleet Captain Shall is enquiring as to what you're up to? That is, if you're permitted to say?"

Sasha smiled at the clearly-cowed Caitian. "Me? I'm just rescuing a cub. Thanks again, Captain, Lieutenant Hrelle out." She ended the transmission, keying in another set of commands. "And just in time for our approach to Mr Boone and the Littlepaw."

Giles checked his own station, confirming, "Transporter range in two minutes. Shall I hail him?"

"No. Access that auxiliary panel next to Astrogation, it'll find the prefix code for the shuttle and override the controls."

He familiarised himself with the panel controls. "You know, you could always send the rest of the new Alpha Squad over to the Littlepaw and send them back to the Claridon. We don't need them all, just Mr Boone."

She seemed to consider it, before shaking her head. "If I did, then they'd be obliged to report our actions, or risk a reprimand. Now, it's all on my shoulders. Bring him to a full stop, and park the shuttle where it stops until we return."

"If we return. If we're not blown to pieces at Gault. If your father doesn't make a meal of all of us."

She smirked to herself. "Show some positivity, Stud. You're never gonna get laid again with that attitude."

Giles looked to her, eyes wide. "I hope you're not suggesting that we-"

"No. Especially not after you called me a 'walking laundry hamper'."

He grinned at her. "If it helps, when I said that, I was only referring to your morning breath."

"Oh, I'm definitely gonna spread for you now." She rose from her seat, patting him on the shoulder as she stepped out, pleased with the casual in her relationship now with her former lover... and pleased once more with her ship as she moved into its midsection, where the single-pad transporter sat. She activated the controls and called out, "Ensign Dassene, come here, please."

The Orion rushed up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing; I'm about to beam over your Mr Boone. I'm just not giving him any warning about it, so I want you here to greet him."

"No warning? Why not?"

"Because I'm not in the mood for wasting time arguing over subspace or for any pointless posturing. Besides, he's your crewmember, not mine." She completed the sequence. "Here we go..."

The pad flared to life, a shimmering silver column of energy filled the space, and seconds later, a shocked-looking Peter Boone appeared, glancing around. "What the-"

Sasha stepped back. "Welcome aboard the Tailless, Ensign."

Zir stepped forward now, grabbing a fistful of his jacket and dragging him off the pad. "COME WITH ME, MISTER!"

Sasha watched the younger officers depart with amusement... and nostalgia, about the times she had to drag Rrori away following one of his antics, to give them an earful... or more frequently, to just give him a smack on the snout. A wave of sadness overcome her at the thought of his loss. Oh, Meow, flying this ship would have made you even more priapic than you usually were.

Then she returned to the cockpit, to finally test just how fast her ship can really go.

*

Zir set the tray down in front of the young man. "Eat."

Peter sat on the bunk, unmoving.

"I said Eat. Consider it an order."

He grunted. "I'm not hungry."

"Don't talk crap. Now eat, or I'll get Urad in here to hold you down while I force feed you."

123456...9