Surefoot 73: The Longest Day

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The shower first," T'Varik suggested.

Hrelle showed her how many middle fingers he had on his right paw, before leaving it at that and departing.

*

First Minister Ma'Sala Shall's speech was later in the evening than expected, but many across the planet still watched and listened:

"People of the Motherworld, I speak to you on the anniversary of our First Landing. Today, as always, we give thanks to the Great Mother for leading us to this green and pleasant world, to make this our Cait, our new Home.

This year's First Landing has been especially poignant and significant, following the Occupation of Cait by the Ferasan Patriarchy, the descendents of those who drove our ancestors out into space. They were a cruel and determined foe, and their defeat came at great sacrifice to us.

Let us remember those who will not come back, their constancy and courage in battle, their sacrifice and endurance in the face of a merciless enemy. Let us remember the males and females in all the Services, in the Resistance, in every city and town and village, who have laid down their lives. We have come to the end of our tribulation, and they are not with us at the moment of our rejoicing.

And let us salute in proud gratitude the great host of the living who have brought us to victory. I cannot praise them to the measure of each one's service, for in a total war such as we have fought, the efforts of all rise to the same noble height, and all are devoted to the common purpose. Armed or unarmed, young or old, you have fought, striven, and endured to your utmost.

And as your First Minister I thank with a full heart those who bore arms so valiantly on land and on sea, in the air and in space, and all civilians who, shouldering their many burdens, have carried them unflinchingly without complaint.

With those memories in our minds, let us think what it was that has upheld us through this time of suffering and peril. The knowledge that everything was at stake. Not just our freedom, our independence, but our identity, our very existence as a people.

And we did not fail. We kept our faith with ourselves and with one another; we kept faith and unity. That faith and unity has carried us to Victory through dangers which often seemed overwhelming. And at this time, I call upon you to take those qualities that we fought to keep alive, and continue to apply them, to win the peace as we have won the war. To continue to help our world and our people heal. To let go of our hate, to forgive those who trespassed against us, and to assist those in need, regardless of how much they may resemble our enemies.

And to remember that we are not alone in the Universe. Caught up in our own trials, it is tempting to disregard what happens beyond our borders as having nothing to do with us. But we must not.

We have been part of the United Federation of Planets for over a century, and the Federation has been threatened these last three years by the Dominion and its allies. And just as we have fought and sacrificed to protect our world, Starfleet has fought and sacrificed to protect not just our world, but every other world within our wider borders. Their struggle and sacrifice has been, not just for Earth or Vulcan or Andor, but for Cait, and every other world.

They are our brothers and sisters, our parents and cubs too.

To that, then, let us turn our thoughts on this day of just triumph and proud sorrow; and then take up our work again, resolved as a people to do nothing unworthy of those who died for us, and to make the Motherworld such a world as they would have desired, for their cubs, and for ours.

I know that together we shall all face the future with stern resolve, and prove that our reserves of strength and compassion are inexhaustible.

Thank you, and good night."

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT WILL CONTINUE IN... COMPILATION