All Comments on 'Survived By'

by RichardGerald

Sort by:
  • 288 Comments (Page 3)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Prosed well with feeling.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story x5. The portents were given early and set the ending up perfectly. Very powerful emotions. To the "death to all cheaters" crowd, I deal with drug users all the time in a Boston neighborhood called Methadone Mile. My partner and I stopped a woman from slicing her own throat right there on Albany St. Cost me 3 stitches. What people will do to escape the pain in their lives...trust me, you don't wanna know,

Anon56

bobareenobobareenoalmost 2 years ago

The dog’s viewpoint just doesn’t work as a device for telling parts of the story.

justwetwojustwetwoalmost 2 years ago

Holy crap this is a good story.

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

This is a sad story. The author already got me by describing the dog's perceptions in the first part of this tale.

But why does it have to be a political story again? When Parker's family's story is told it is stated it was for the best of the family for him to give up his budding career and for all of them to leave their home to move to a place so his wife could...NOT fulfill her dream of being an artist, because she was a painter already, no, just to take on some job. It is not discussed, not disputed and not explained why a move like this is for the best of the family, it is just stated. And it is stated again towards the end of the story, describing the last, unfinished picture that Parker's late wife had been working on. It shows him as a young man who settles for a work he can get "for their sake". What the author and/or the editors did here was stating that "the best" for the wife is absolutely equal to "the best" for the family, regardless the circumstances. This is the reoccurring mantra of a crowd that calls for gender equality, translating into the male taking on every responsibility, including making his wife happy, while not having any right to fulfillment other than to be a breadwinner, caretaker and sex toy. It's basically nothing but the reversal of the traditional role model, except that the average wife was not the (primary) bread earner.

Again, the way it has been laid out here practically says, the ultimate goal of the whole family is to make the wife happy. Since there are no reasons given, the correct wording would be that Walter gave up his carrier to make his wife happier, that he took on just any work he could get for her sake, not their sake. Again, if all the sacrifices were made so she could concentrate on her art I wouldn't object, but the way I understood this it was just so she could get sort of a side job. Logically his career advances had certainly afforded for them as a family to be socially, monetarily safe and for her to concentrate on painting and the networking and promoting necessary to succeed in this kind of career.

The "concept" hinted at in this story regarding emancipation reminds me of a saying that is attributed to Walter Ulbricht, leader of what you refer to as the communist part of Germany, until the early 1970ies. His rough strategy for socialist countries in their strive to economically become the equals of the advanced capitalist societies was condensed into the slogan:

"Überholen ohne Einzuholen". It roughly translates into "To surpass without catching up (first)" or "To overtake without drawing level". Sounds stupid, really, doesn't it? More importantly, this and other slogans as well were byproducts of the cold war, the economy being the main battleground it was fought on. Using this as an analogy one might come to the conclusion, that part of the movement for "gender equality" really fights for establishing some sort of matriachy. But this is just a mask for something else. I feel hard pressed to call the western society of today a patriarchy still. But it doesn't matter that much, because the most characteristic tag describing our society says 'capitalism', for the U.S. of A. 'imperialism'. The main economic (as well as other) conflicts are not existing on the plane "men versus women".

Back to the story. Apart from the impression that it contains some unwanted, by me at least, political message, I do like this tale of woe, even if more accurately I should say: it hits close to home.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What an awesome loving story. A very moving tale of love in the midst of suffering people and their loved ones. LP

SyzyguySyzyguyalmost 2 years ago

5* Just lovely - Teddy's perspective works really well for me in this bittersweet story.

Nasty56Nasty56almost 2 years ago

Definitely needs a part 2, would love to see what develops between the survivors!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Two married people cheating with each other while their spouses were in the hospital dying of cancer. Sad.

ErotFanErotFanalmost 2 years ago

What a masterpiece of storytelling. The editor was correct. Descriptions of the sexual scenes would not only have broken up the flow of the story but only have cheapened the relationship.

In reality, the oppression of a long term fatal illness involving the love of ones life stifles any interest in the opposite sex for the other. But still a marvelous tale well presented.

LucasredLucasredover 1 year ago

One of the saddest stories I've ever read.

I hated it.

I gave it a 5.

Pjam1968Pjam1968over 1 year ago

I agree this storie wouldn’t fit for having sex descriptions in it

SeaChangerSeaChangerover 1 year ago

Teddy is one long-lived dog ! 5*

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandlerover 1 year ago

'Thank you for this wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Creative and good story. Sad. I kind of can understand Jean. Her husband Frank is much older and she has gone through three bouts of cancer. Her life is really broken and she needs companionship. Parker is also suffering but in his case as they get closer, Lenore is already in a private room and he knows that things are accelerating. I find that hard to stomach to cheat on Lenore when she has so little time left. By coincidence Frank is let out the same day. I know it must be unbelievably rough and terrifying for the loved ones of cancer patients but still. The woman you love more than life is literally dying. Keep your dick in your pants. Maybe a one night fling. But a regular six month affair where they just stay in the same hotel all the time? Wow. The author seems to suggest they are both compartmentalizing but balderdash when doing it that frequently. That is rough.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of the most moving short stories that I’ve ever read, thanks.

TajfaTajfaover 1 year ago

Truly a great story. No need to say more.

TajfaTajfaover 1 year ago

Truly a great story. No need to say more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Sorry other than the great writing...nothing is more disgusting than betraying the person you love while they are literally dying...even worse no regret and its emotional!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

How did I miss this when it came out? What an exceptional story! Lovely! Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of the few circumstances where a pass might be given, long term suffering can be truly devastating in more ways than someone on the outside will ever understand.

jsch1947jsch1947over 1 year ago

Few stories evoke a sentiment with this much depth.

More and more's Bringing Carrie Home is an incredible bar to beat, but you did it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A one night stand or short fling, maybe. Still wrong. Your wife is dying. Jean I can understand more as her husband is much older, five years of cancer back and forth, etc. But Lenore was rapidly declining. A six month long affair? That is sick. Unless you get her consent, in which case you are an asshole for asking and weakening her resolve, wait until your wife passes or make it a short fling (still wrong). But six months of cheating virtually every night, while your wife is dying? For six months, Jean was practically his second wife whrn he got back from the hospital. Wirse Lenore begs him to love again and apologizes tonhim for all the suffering he endured. That isnthe mother of your children and you cheated on her repeatedly for six months. Fuck off. That is stone cold betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Powerful stuff.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Oh another tear jerker, much as I liked it I do wonder why it’s on here, this is “ Literotica “ after all and I just don’t think this is erotic in any way, sad so very near every day life and so painful for some but not for here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good, interesting, different

I like to think that I would be more true to my suffering wife than our hero, but, still, a quite good story.

Five for you

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good evocative story.

It's too realistic.

People will hate being reminded by your desperate characters actions just how imperfect we all are.

Statistical fact. 90% of people will commit adultery given the right circumstances.

Most "good people" will do intolerable wrong in extreme circumstances.

Prisons are full of first time offenders whose only crime ever was that of murdering a spouse in a fit of rage. Good people do just lose it and respond with extremely stupid and often violent actions.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 1 year ago

Wonderful

To be human is to face grief. And loss. And pain. Sharing it with others is to gain strength to carry on. To bear the burden, to do what needs to be done.

Excellent story that mimicks life

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

To write meaningfully about human emotion you must have lived it. The best understanding was with Shakespeare, others came reasonably close. Gerald not so much. He thinks women fantasies are regularly about other men when having sex. I guess men do too…..according to Gerald. Alas no. The fantasy comes with masturbation, not physical sex. The physical presence of the two during sex with all the senses hyper active just don’t allow traveling into the imagination….sorry it just doesn’t work that way. The physicality prevents such. The two look at, smell, hear, touch, feel to such an extent they don’t imagine another…be that for better or worse. The guy just is wrong and it hurts the nonsense he spouts in most of his stories …..these things hurt his work. This without that statement of women’s fantasies was otherwise a good story. Suggest the author go out and get laid. Other authors routinely spout this same nonsense. That illicit sex is so enticing is THE ACTUAL PHYSICAL difference from the regular partner. R. H.

Helen1899Helen1899about 1 year ago

What a wonderful story, sad, but still wonderful, thanks for sharing. Your a very good writer who plays with your readers emotions

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Hi, I doubt you’ll see this or anyone will read it but just on the off chance you do, thank you. I, like many others enjoy and appreciate your work.

An old curmudgeon

Q1000Q1000about 1 year ago

Great story! I'm amazed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Far and away, the best story of this genre.

JimmyThePlungerJimmyThePlungerabout 1 year ago

That is gripping in a very personal way and incredibly sad, just a little hope for a brighter future from the alert Teddy. Really enjoyed teh read, thank you

tomol111tomol111about 1 year ago

Emotionally great story. You, my friend, are a great.author!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

LeeAnn was definitely correct

Love stories do not need graphic sex scenes.

rublicksrublicksabout 1 year ago

My goodness the dust in this room suddenly got a lot higher. Great story thank you

JBird11JBird11about 1 year ago

Excellent story, tears were welling. I especially liked how you captured Teddy's reaction and what he must be thinking. I am a big dog person and with 2 of my own, I have always hoped if something would happen to me, they would get a chance to know and say goodbye in their way. Great job.

YouamiYouamiabout 1 year ago

WOW!!! Another brilliant submission

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Benn there

DarknsDarknsabout 1 year ago

Out of the mouths of ba … dogs! Loved the perspective from the dog, having numerous dogs in my life over the years which included a cocker spaniel. So, I relate and couldn’t help but picture him as I read your story.

Thank you for your story and the 5 stars reading experience.

dawg997dawg997about 1 year ago

Having lost my wife to cancer a decade ago, this story hit me in the gut. I found myself re-living those last two awful years.

But I am pleased that you wrote it and am in awe of your fine work.

BigfundrewBigfundrew12 months ago

Wow.

That was good.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

powerful. soooo sad. cats have the same ability

stan234499stan23449912 months ago

I think it is your best

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

What a great, but melancholy, story about the great wheel of life! Five stars ⭐️, for this one, Gerald!!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Beautiful Story. Well played.

rlrmiller1951rlrmiller195112 months ago

a wonderful story, floating on a sea of sadness.

mariverzmariverz11 months ago

triste, pero lleno de esperanza al final.

me gusta tu narrativa!! gracias autor!

BAnde53507BAnde5350711 months ago

Damn. I can feel the pain in my chest. Wonderful story. 5 stars.

nm1940nm194010 months ago

I must admit i had to wipe tear away at the end 5stars an added to my list of favorites

numbnutz49numbnutz4910 months ago

When the tears start welling up you know it's a great touching story!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

what happened to Derick?

XluckyleeXluckylee10 months ago

This story felt so real to me, thank you for sharing. 5 stars from Xluckylee

Cracker270Cracker2709 months ago

So much to say and no skills to do it. Fine piece of writing thank you for your efforts.

FillDirtWantedFillDirtWanted9 months ago

Damn, one of the saddest I've read on this site.

PierremanvisPierremanvis9 months ago

Remarkable story told remarkably well. My thanks.

Pinto931Pinto9319 months ago

Excellent story,

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Probably author's best story. Yes there was adultery between Parker and Jean but seems kind of minor on the scheme of things with their spouses dying, especially Parker. It was clear that Jean did not love Frank with remotely the same intensity as Lenore. For Parker it was a way to bury the pain and he cane to care for Jean. For Jean, she fully fell in love with Parker. After Frank dies, Jean will have to go to Parker to pull him out his blues. He will not go to her. He is just now trying to get over Lenore, who was the love of his life. Sad story. Sounds like his son Dan will be divorced soon. Teddy has a nose for army things not just cancer.

LickideesplitLickideesplit8 months ago

How can a reader downgrade a story about dog-love?

Yeah, neither can I.

5*

TwmatthewsTwmatthews8 months ago

A beautiful if sad story. I'm concluding that the tears in my eyes are from allergies and have nothing to do with this story. * * * * *

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This story really hurts. Your writing is very good.

Thank you, 5/5

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I’ve read this before and thought highly of it. Reading it again I’m even more impressed the twist at the end reminds me of Somerset Maugham and his “Appointment in Samara.” First class.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

So sad, i cried...

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Incredible. Reading on my lunch break and about to start bawling like a baby. 5*+

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker4 months ago

💯💯💯💯😚👍👍👍👍👍👍🙋👋👆

ForensicFossilForensicFossil3 months ago

To Anonymous Referencing "Appointment In Samara"

This novel was not written by Somerset Maugham, but by John O 'Hara

Calico75Calico753 months ago

Wonderful. Sad but uplifting.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Your descriptive narrative and original dialogue sets you far above most of the authors I have read here.

I was moved to tears many times during the story.

A superb story with NO. CLICHES!!! (cudos for that)

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Oh god... so painful!!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Sad, painfull and brilliantly painted in poignant words. A full 5 star.

silverthorne16silverthorne163 months ago

Sorry, but just too much pain and sadness for me

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

My God, I have tears running down my chee😢😥 This is a story that I think was written from a man with too intimate an experience with this kind of tragedy.

If you never write another thing you have major mark in time, sir.

It is a privilege to have read thi!

.Thank you

ttjbjr54ttjbjr54about 2 months ago

Great story. Easy read. Brought to tears several times from personal experiences. 10 stars!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

One of the best on this site!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Another good one by one of the better authors in this category. Five stars. (signed ML)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Really Touching and about real life sadness

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersabout 2 months ago

Moving, sensitively done, got to wipe my eyes now.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

No words for comments..wish i could go higher ! 5 Stars !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

For the first time I agreed with every word of the handful of comments I read. I have always loved dogs(my first was a spaniel. My and that of my ex-wife's cancers are in remission for now but I lost two life long best friends to this cruel disease a couple days apart a year ago. Thank you for such a touching story, perfectly worded. 5 stars seems so insignificant.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Easily one of the best stories on this site.

RobcolesRobcoles28 days ago

Brilliant, even with the missing ‘be’ in the last sentence. 5 stars only because I can’t give more.

AnonymousAnonymous20 days ago

Absolutely fantastic writing. I'm so grateful to have discovered it.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter20 days ago

Perhaps the best piece you’ve given us on this site, and that comes with accolades for “Sugar” and “Sailing to the Bottom”, and of course The Witches! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous4 days ago

Very well written story , very sad and emotive. Nice to get the dogs perspective. I have not had to live w/ someone i loved dying, but have had some friends and family die in ways sad, medical and violent, and those have been heart wrenching. Also live w/ pets and have the responsibility and duty to put them down when their quality of life is shit as is their ability to do anything but endure. Not impatient but proactive, not gonna make my sadness to lose them make me delay death nor my impatience w/ taking care of them make me take action too soon just for my convenience. Always heartbreaking. Dont understand humans desperate despair to delay death when reality, practicality and pain tell you to take action for yourself. At some point it is all about you the dying person and what you want and need to be free and ok. Ivery much disapprove of some of the western civ nations attitudes about "assisted death", but think that it frequently is helpful, unfortunately many nations are assisting to help the fkg govmnt avoid palliative care or expensive treatment or long lasting & useless expenditure. Big moral ethical void in gomnt in general. Any how , I v much like and admire Richard Gerald's writing, very rarely disappoints, and jerks the tears out whether reader is willing or not. rk

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous