Surviving Retirement

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She sounded excited as she asked where we were. I told her and she asked if we could pick her up at the airport at ten in the morning. I said that would be no problem and asked what was up. That was when her excitement busted out. "We have another show to do."

Chapter 4

July 4, Week 10, At the college

Something really special happened since my last report. The girls finished the tour with great audiences and lots of promise. Megan flew home to visit her parents while Cindi and I made a slow drive back to the campus. Megan called and said that we had another show to do. We met on Wednesday morning with the head of the Fine Arts Department. She said that they had heard glowing reports of their performances and that the college was going to host a 4th of July evening the next day and could they be ready to perform. The girls eagerly said yes. She then said that the plan was for entertainment to start around four in the afternoon with a bar-b-que buffet at six. She wanted the girls to sing after dinner around seven and the orchestra would lose out the evening at eight. The girls were ready to agree when I stepped in.

I told her that if they wanted to see the girls perform at the level of the rave reviews they had heard about, they needed to sing after dark. The woman seemed startled because she had seen them perform before they left and they could do it perfectly well during the evening light. I simply said that we had refined their program as we went and that they would not get the full effect unless it was dark. It was then that she asked me who I was. I just said that I was their roadie. The girls laughed and briefly explained that they now did more of a cabaret show. She made a phone call and we were set for eight o'clock. The orchestra would provide some dinner music and then do their pieces. All she said was that we needed to really sell it to be the closing act since the attendees would be faculty, a few students, the Board of Trustees, and some potential contributors. I said that they would be the perfect closing act. She just looked at me like she was wondering what I was really about.

We went over to look at the outdoor stage and it looked perfect. There was a backdrop of trees which would shade the lights in the distance. Tables and chairs were being set up so that the audience would be in front and slightly on the sides. I decided to park the camper off to the side a short ways so that the girls could dress there and have an easy walk to the stage. We talked and decided to go with the complete last night show with two country and two arias along with the regular songs. It would run close to an hour and a half, but I felt that the audience wouldn't mind. I have come to trust my judgment when it comes to people's reaction to these girls.

Since the girls didn't like to eat right before they performed, I took them to a late lunch at three and then they went to mingle with the students and others while I parked and set up the truck. Cindi brought me some bar-b-que at six since I hadn't eaten anything with them. The orchestra played well, but I could tell that they weren't going to provide the show stopper that the girls would to end the evening.

When they finished, I quickly set up the table and chairs and brought out the lights. I checked and the girls were warmed up and ready to go capture another audience. The Head of the Department then introduced Cindi and Megan and explained that they had just finished a well received tour with the hotel chain and that they were here for our evening entertainment. Then the lights went off and I led the girls to the stage. When they were set, I brought up the overhead light and as each girl stepped forward, I brought up her light. Then it was their show and if possible, they did better than the last hotel show.

These were people they knew and they wanted to impress them. Based on the audience reaction, I knew that they owned this audience tonight. As they took their final bows, I saw people beginning to surge towards the stage. I gave them their moment in the sun and then turned the overhead light on full. I then carried a handful of pictures up for them if they wanted them.

When I got back to my post, the Head of the Department was waiting for me. She said that she had a chance to talk to Megan a little and wanted to know just how much I had influenced their show. I shrugged and said,"I added some props and lights and that everything else was all them." She nodded and asked if I could meet her in her office the next day at ten. I agreed because I didn't have anything else to do.

There was a special surprise that night. Megan's parents flew in to hear them. He was also being courted as a benefactor. Megan was surprised to see them afterwards and then led them over to meet me. They were very gracious and thanked me for taking care of both Megan and Cindi for the summer. I said that it was one of the easiest and most rewarding times of my life and I meant it. Cindi came over and she and Megan went inside the trailer to change while I talked to Megan's parents until they left to rejoin the President and the other dignitaries. When they came out, they said that they were going to a party with their friends and that Cindi would stay with Megan that night. I told them to enjoy themselves and that I would be around somewhere tomorrow. I decided to check into a hotel that night and sleep in a bed peacefully for the first time in over a month.

The next morning, I was in the Department Head's office promptly at ten. She again thanked me for the support I gave to the girls that summer. Then she asked me about my background. I told her honestly about my degrees and my work experience but without certain details. I mean I was the operations manager, wasn't I? I just didn't mention for whom.

When I finished, she looked pleased. Then she told me that they were just really getting the theater department going. To date they had used part-time directors for their productions, but that they wanted to upgrade the program. They had hired a young woman as artistic director for the next year, but still needed someone to be the operational manager to take care of details and other issues. She asked if I would be interested. It wouldn't pay a lot, but it would be a ground floor opportunity. It took me about thirty seconds to realize that this would be a perfect place for me to spend some time, do something worthwhile, and explore new opportunities. I said that I would and asked what I needed to do next. She said that I needed to give her a full resume to run by the President before she could confirm it. I said that I would have it for her in the morning. She thanked me and I left.

Immediately, I figured out where the office of the President was and asked if I could have a few minutes of his time. His receptionist asked what my reason was and I simply said, "Tell him I have two million reasons." She stared at me and then went inside the office behind her. I wasn't terribly concerned about offering the money because Ellen and I had already talked about either of us donating money to colleges if we saw a need. She wouldn't balk at this for a minute.

When the lady came out, she smiled and showed me in. The President rose and greeted me with a smile and then said that I looked familiar and asked where he might have seen me before. I mentioned the show last night and he nodded, but felt that there was something else. The he asked what my interest might be. I told him about my talk with the Head of the Fine Arts department and that I was interesting in doing the job. He nodded and then I told him who I was and that I would donate $2 million to the school if I could do it anonymously and without having to provide a detailed resume. I preferred to maintain my privacy here. He took him about as long as I took to decide my future to decide to accept my offer. I called my banker and told him what I wanted to do and then put the President on and let them take care of the details.

When that was done, I asked when I needed to officially start. He said that the new Artistic Director was scheduled to start on August 1st when she finished a play in Seattle. I said that I would start now figuring out what they needed, but that I would officially start on the same date. I also told him to use the donation for the entire school, but for a good portion to supply scholarship to needy students with potential including full tuition for Cindi for the year. He felt that this was a good use of the money.

As I got up to leave, he said that he knew where he recognized me from. He had been one of the Rachael's bankers on our deal. We had only met at one meeting, but he remembered me. He smiled when I told him that Rachael had provided the dresses for Cindi and Megan.

So, I have a job and something to sink my teeth into. Now I needed a place to stay. With Cindi's tuition taken care of, she might choose to stay on campus but if not, she could still stay with me. When I went back to the camper, the girls were waiting for me inside. They wanted pizza and beer. So we got pizza and beer at the local student hangout. When they asked what I had been doing, I said that I sort of interviewed for a job and that I would be staying here for the school year. To say that they were happy would be an understatement.

After we ate, they insisted showing me around for places to live. They showed me several apartments and some rental houses for students, but I had seen a place on the way that caught my attention. I decided to check it out when I was alone. That night both Cindi and Megan wanted me to come with them to meet some of their friends at a party and cookout at one of their houses. I agreed. I actually had fun eating burgers and beer with kids who were fifteen years younger than I was especially when I learned that a number of them were drama students. That night both Cindi and Megan stayed in the camper with me. They both also had meetings scheduled with the counselor to go over their fall schedules the next morning.

While they were there, I met the realtor at the house I was interested in. And it was an interesting house to be sure. It was an old two story in the prairie style with three upstairs bedrooms and three down, a living room, library, and dining room. The back yard had a pool, hot tub, and an outdoor kitchen. I fell in love with it and knew that Ellen would too if she ever came to see it. I expressed an interest in it and the realtor said that it was available for sale or lease. The lease was $3000 per month partially furnished and the sale price was $300,000. I would need first and last month's rent and references for the owner to accept the lease.

She smiled as she expected me to balk at the price. I think I blew her away when I said that I would pay the full lease in advance with an option to buy it at the end of the lease for full asking price less the amount of the rent. Then I smiled at her and she didn't know what to say. She finally said that she would talk to the owner and let me know. I didn't want to drop the big hammer yet. If it came back negative, I would offer a cash offer for $250,000 if we could close in less than a week. That night, we could barely restrain Cindi because the counselor had told her that her tuition had been paid by a new scholarship. They stayed with me again in the camper, but the next night, Megan's boy friend would be back for the second summer session. Both girls were also enrolled for that.

The realtor called me early the next day and asked when I could sign the lease. I said that this afternoon would be fine. She choked again and said to be at her office at five. I then went furniture shopping. Everything in the living area was included; all I needed to buy was bedroom furniture and linens and stuff. I decided to let Cindi pick out the linens and towels and other things. I picked out the king size bed for us and two other beds.

I'll write more next week. It should be interesting.

I reread my e-mail and sent it off feeling very good about the way things were going. I loved the house and would have bought it except that I didn't know if Ellen would like it and be willing to move here. I thought that she would love it, but wasn't certain. We still had that decision on front of us. I took Cindi shopping for the linens and stuff and she was hesitant until I said that if she didn't pick something, we would be sleeping on the mattress. She picked out two sets for each bed and a dozen towels, but felt guilty about spending the money even when I told her to not worry about it. When I finally took her to our new place and showed her our bedroom she almost died. She loved it, of course, but had no idea that I was getting it for permanent. My only mistake was telling her that her friends would always be welcome. Once we got settled, there was almost always someone there. I really didn't mind because they were a really good group of serious musicians and artists. We ended up making Sunday a wind down day with a cookout and a free form discussion and talk session. I felt that I made a contribution because I was able to add a sense of practicality to their big dreams and aspirations.

July18, Week 12, At the college

I guess that I am going to become an every other week reporter. Things have been busy, but they have become little details rather than big things.

We moved into the new house and Cindi was totally excited. We made love every night for a week and then classes started. Her summer classes were all academic and not singing or other things. Now she has to read or write papers every night. I decided that we would celebrate the first week of school with an overnight trip to Seattle. She was excited, but even more so when we went to the theater last night and she saw Les Mis live for the first time. It was obvious that she was in awe of the set, the music, and the performances. Afterwards, she wondered why we stopped by the side entrance of the theater until she realized that the performers were leaving to get in vans to their hotel.

One of the last to leave was the one I wanted to talk to. I simple said, "Miss Winters?" She turned and looked at me and said "yes." I replied, "I am Joe Magnon and this is Cindi Ellison. We would like to see if you would be available for breakfast in the morning."

She got a cautious look on her face as she said, "That is probably not a good idea."

I replied, "I understand but since you and I will be working closely together this year at the college and Cindi will be one of you students, I thought that it would be a very good idea." She broke a smile and said, "I am at the Marriott and get up around nine. Shall we say ten?"

I replied, "We are right next door at the Hilton; ten is fine. Thank you. Great performance." She smiled again and boarded the shuttle bus.

Cindi hadn't said a word during that exchange, but then she started peppering me with questions. Her main concern was how I had the nerve to approach the star of a show like that. My answer was for her to remember her tour. She and Megan were the stars and people of all kinds came up to them and asked for autographs and a few words. They both liked the contact with the people. Why wouldn't Abigail Winters feel the same?

As for me, I would be working with her closely and the sooner I got to know her and find out how she wanted to work, the better I would be prepared. Finally, I told her the most important reason. When Abigail arrived on campus for the first day, she would only know one or two of the administrators. Now she would know a coworker and a student. If Cindi told the other students what to expect and then held a welcoming party for her, she would almost instantly feel much better. Cindi seemed to understand that.

The next morning, we met with Abigail, who preferred to be called Abby, and had a wonderful two hour breakfast with her. She said that she appreciated getting to meet us because she had only met the Head of the Department and wondered how she would even find her way around when she arrived. She also said that she had been travelling for two years straight and the idea of settling down for awhile had a lot of appeal even if it was also scary. Then she peppered Cindi with questions about her experience and goals. After that, she turned to me and asked what my function was.

I told her that I was her operations guy and as far as I was concerned, if she wanted it or needed it, just ask me and I would arrange it. She let out a big smile at that and asked if I was any good doing that. Cindi answered for me by saying, "If there was anyone any better, I have never heard of him." Then she told Abby about their tour and how I had pitched in to help and that they now felt that I was an integral part of their act. Abby expressed great appreciation and respect for that. She said that while the actors got the notice, they all knew who the go-to people were behind the scenes and who was just doing a job. The go-to people made their lives much easier especially on the road.

When we finally ended the breakfast, Abby seemed to be very comfortable with us. She and I exchanged e-mail addresses so that we could contact each other during the next two weeks before she arrived on campus. Then she had to leave to get ready for their matinee performance that afternoon. Cindi and I drove back to the campus and she seemed to have a greater understanding about the business she was trying to break into. That gave me an idea to talk to Abby about.

Now I knew who I would be working with for the next year and felt comfortable that we could develop a good working relationship. The next day I got my first e-mail from Abby thanking us for visiting with her. Then she asked a number of questions like could I suggest places for her to look at to live and what kind of office she would have and details about the stage. I went to the Head of the Department and she showed me the office that she had in mind. I took several pictures of the office and the stage and backstage areas and then sent them to her. I offered for her to stay in one of the bedrooms at our house while she looked for a place of her own. She wrote back that she appreciated the information about the theater and wanted to make sure that I was ok with my offer of the room. I assured her that I was. She asked if she could have some of her things sent to the house and I sent her the address in return. After that, each day we wrote back and forth. She asked questions about this and that and I found the answers to reply. This also helped me get a handle on what we had and what we might need to develop. I shared some of my thoughts with her and she responded with variations or alternatives.

As the next week started, Cindi brought up about having a welcoming party for Abby on the day after her arrival. I had a couple of thoughts on that and then sent Abby a proposal for this. I suggested that I invite several of the staff people and those non-students that she would be interfacing with to meet her at two in the afternoon and then have the students come at four or five. In short, it would kill two birds with one stone. She wrote back positively and I set Cindi loose to invite the students who would be available. I then invited the adults including the Department Head. We would have a late buffet lunch for the adults and grill burgers for the students later. The adults could stay as long as they wanted or disappear when the students arrived.

1...56789...15