All Comments on 'Sympathy for the Devil'

by WaxPhilosophic

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
LilyVonSchtuppLilyVonSchtuppabout 4 years ago
I really like your slice of life stories

I don't know the riddle or song woven throughout, but I do know the rock uphill.

Greek mythology, leader being punished for basically being the backside of a horse, Sis something. I stink at names. Forced to roll a boulder uphill everyday. Just before it got to the top, it would roll down again.

Good story. Although it begs the question who is Molly's mom? I like the idea that the devil is away working on social media things.

Also, how is becoming a mediator and a bedfellow to Molly making reparations to herself? I would like to read more about Molly. She seems like she could be a very interesting....um... person?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Another enjoyable read . . .

Song, Devil With The Blue Dress On

Rock, the moral of Sisyphus

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54about 4 years ago

I don't want to find out if Molly is telling the truth or not so I give it 5 stars 🙃

MaonaighMaonaighabout 4 years ago
You were right...

...Wax, I did have one or two sniggers and snorts on the way through. I take it the estate agents are in the next cavern from the ad-men. While Hitler and Napoleon got banged up, Mussolini was given another chance (fantasy novel "Inferno" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle, circa late 1970s, in which Musso takes on the role of Virgil leading the narrator through the seven circles of Hell). I missed out on the song but the boulder-roller is, of course, Sisyphus. Hope our heroine exists happily and eternally ever after. PS: good to see the plagiarisers down there among the damned.

christi11christi11about 4 years ago
Nice little story

I think I've seen or heard that boulder referenced but I have no clue where.

Thanks for sharing your time and thoughts with all of us. :-)

LinneaLundinLinneaLundinabout 4 years ago

Thanks for the clever story. Lots of funny dialog and ha ha moments, then the serious twist near the end. All in all a short but good read. You're on a roll, Waxy!

penguinacepenguinaceabout 4 years ago
Devil with a Blue Dress On and Sisyphus

Nice story.

MrOuchMrOuchabout 4 years ago
I'm guessing...

Sisyphus and Hotel California... You can check out, but you can never leave!

steeltiger01steeltiger01about 4 years ago

There are people who don't know Sisyphus? I'm surprised!

steeltiger01steeltiger01about 4 years ago

Also, another beautifully told tale! Thank you.

SomaSlaveSomaSlaveabout 4 years ago

I'm not up on my Rolling Stones, but c'mon: everyone should know about Sisyphus (or is that just us old folks?). Regardless, a nice little change of pace story.

BBeinhartBBeinhartabout 4 years ago
Mitch Ryder

....and the Detroit Wheels: Devil in a Blue Dress/ Good Golly Miss Molly!

But where is Tantalos?

WaxPhilosophicWaxPhilosophicabout 4 years agoAuthor
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

To anyone who guessed Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels' Devil in a Blue Dress for the song, and Sisyphus for the health club boulder roller, you are absolutely correct.

As for the question of how Miranda sleeping with Molly is making reparations, I give you this:

Miranda is attracted to women. From the beginning, she lets her eyes crawl all over Molly's legs and admits to a fling with "Janet something or other" in college. She tried to take her own life as a teen (probably when she was discovering her sexuality.) Later, she succeeds, perhaps over continued guilt about her sexuality. We don't know what kind of counseling Miranda and her mother agreed to. There is a bit with the loud guitar and Molly's mention of Heavy Metal Conversion Therapy. Miranda gets nervous (chews her lip) when Molly mentions the phrase. I would imagine that Miranda's reparation is helping others in the same situation while finally admitting to herself that she's comfortable with who she is by sleeping with a woman she's attracted to.

That's my theory anyway.

Thanks all, for your feedback. Stay safe.

WP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story.

A great story. I loved the toilet paper reference =)

5/5

I don't know much about music, but the guy with the boulder is Sisyphus.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Going to hell

...for hoarding toilet paper in the time of quarantine? Seriously, Wax, I would rather not want to face all these lovely fellow citizens when my time comes...

The Hitler/Napoleon part may not have been terribly subtle, but I loved Molly and Miranda. And you made me warmly smile, as always. Glad to have you! Best, Abi

jenorma2012jenorma2012about 4 years ago

Sorry, I would have guessed wrong, I had 2 songs in mind and neither one was the right answer not much for that group or the song the devil in a blue dress. I am more of a charlie Daniels band "the devil went down to Georgia"

luvinglesluvinglesabout 4 years ago
Ah, my favorite Lit author

Lol. Definitely enjoyed the laugh. Got the boulder. Totally missed the song. Don't think I've ever heard the song in its entirety 🤔. Great read.

stroudlestroudleabout 4 years ago
Very entertaining

Great characters, great story, funny, touching and a sexy she devil what's not to like

I thoroughly enjoyed this, oh to be employed to paint stocking seams on a sexy lady and no chilly nips 😊

Thank you Wax for another stonking good story

Jc

Air_DryAir_Dryover 3 years ago
Good Golly!

A lot of songs came to mind. Stuck in the the time warp again I felt at some point that I was watching all of this below my vantage point high above the walls trying to make sense of it all. I was meandering around and knocked on a door. It could be heaven it could be hell but no one here gets out alive. So I rolled a number and some one said "read the sign" No Bogarting! So I rolled another one just like the other one. The sky became hazy so I relaxed my mind and floated downstream. I was conscious that there was something going on but I don't what it was. I came to a stairway leading up into the clouds where there was young lady we all know. She had diamonds for eyes and she spoke " imagine all the people getting the cosmic joke" and I heard the hum of a bumble bee and I woke up to find myself in a field of grass with the girl with stars in her eyes which changed back to diamonds. In her hand was a glass. She handed it to me and I spilled it. I was scared because I was told not to come. I got in my car. It was an old Lincoln. I left for California with an ache in my heart. The song goes on forever as does the long and winding joke. Burma Shave...

AyaaChannAyaaChannover 2 years ago

I loved this small story!

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnonover 1 year ago

How have I not seen this little treasure before now!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I must be getting old. I immediately knew the boulder was about Sysiphus....

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userWaxPhilosophic@WaxPhilosophic
Miss Isabella’s Home for Stray Kittens has left and is now available exclusively as an ebook from JMS Books. https://www.jms-books.com/davina-lee-c-224_312/ * Other News... Tales from the Stream now has a glossary to help you keep the people, places, and things straight in...