Synchronicity for Six Pt. 03

Story Info
Continuing the Harrison/Lawson story..
10.6k words
4.83
2.5k
3
2

Part 3 of the 14 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 02/06/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Synchronicity for Six, Pt 03

Tuesday, January 19

Alan was awake first, slapping at the snooze button on his clock radio. The DJs were not in sync with him that morning. J. Geils Band's 'Love Stinks' did not align at all with Alan's universe. It never really had, but not especially today as he rolled onto his back and leaned over to awaken Rose with a kiss. She smiled her joy and wrapped her arms around his neck in a loving embrace. One thing led to another, and Alan was a few minutes later than he had planned to get his shower.

Rose awoke to Alan's lips upon hers, and she quickly reciprocated his affection. She lingered in bed while Alan finally got up and showered. She needed to carve out some time during her workday to speak with her mother before her father arrived for supper that evening. When she emerged from her shower, the gift of a cup of adulterated coffee and a small plate of two slices of cinnamon raisin toast awaited her on the bathroom counter. Alan was SO good to her and for her.

Maggie's alarm woke her at 7:45 as intended. Stretching, her sensitive breasts rubbed against the inside of David's t-shirt, inflaming her desire for him and exacerbating his absence. 'Sleeping alone is completely the shits,' she thought, rolling out of bed. She hurried to the hallway bathroom while scenting the coffee in the kitchen. Quickly showering, she found a Post-It note from her mother on the coffee maker. It reminded her to get her lunch from the refrigerator and to be sure the house was locked when she departed for the bus to take her downtown.

David had to scramble to make his 9 AM class. While he was assiduous in reminding Maggie to set her alarm, he failed to do so on his own phone. 'God, but it sucks balls to sleep alone,' he thought. Fortunately, Robert had laid in a supply of Mountain Dew in their tiny dorm room refrigerator. Grabbing a pleasantly chilled can, David dashed out the door, down the stairs, out the building, and across the expanse of dead grass between his dormitory and the classroom building. Chest heaving, he made it to class with a whole minute to spare.

Tom and Julie awoke much like they had for the previous two weeks -- with her wrapped around him: an octopus to his starfish. Light kisses on the lips and firmer rubbing of noses assured of the love between them. One of them would have to get up and start the coffee, as their inherited coffee maker from Middleburg did not have an automatic timer. As he had to get to class first, Tom elected to brave the cold floors in his bare feet. Shifting back and forth from one foot to the other, once enough coffee had brewed for two cups, he poured the elixir into two mugs (one with Amaretto-flavored creamer) and returned to the bedroom with his treasure. They sat in their bed, sipping their coffee and pondering the coming day.

"I have class from 10 to noon, then a two-hour break, and then the afternoon shift until 5 in the lab," Tom iterated.

"And my two classes run back-to-back from noon until 4," Julie reminded.

"But you'll come to the lab once you're done, right?" Tom asked.

"Absolutely!"

With a quick kiss that threatened to derail him, Tom got off the bed and into the shower. He was out the door by 9:30, walking to class. Julie would drive and then chauffeur them home at the end of the day.

Julie remained in their bed after Tom's departure reflecting on some recent happenings. For the past weekend, Tom seemed withdrawn, almost surly. She had not made things any easier, though. Julie had gone shopping for their food and while she was out, she looked at clothing and shoes, although she did not buy anything other than the groceries. She was in her own little world and not interacting with the contemplative Tom. She did not think to call him out on his behavior because she knew everybody needs some time to themselves. Their tiny basement apartment didn't help matters any. Sometimes she felt she had to step outside just to change her mind.

But she loved him. She could not imagine the rest of her life without him. She would make things up to him that night. She'd prepare the supper even though it wasn't her turn, and she'd snuggle up to him and breathe in his ear. She'd then have to deal with the natural consequences of those actions, and she was looking forward to it.

= = =

While taking a break at 10:15, Rose remembered to call her mother. Closing her office door (what a concept!), she spun her chair to look out her window and dialed her parents' landline.

"Hello, Mother. It's your most favorite daughter in the world," Rose began lightheartedly.

"Rose! What a pleasant surprise it is to hear from you during the workday. Is everything well with you?" her mother responded.

"Yes, Mom, everyone and everything here is just fine. Can the same be said for your part of the world?"

"I'm quite well, dear, thanks for asking. Your father had to leave on an emergency business trip yesterday. He did not say where he had to go, only that he would be back on Wednesday. I've learned not to pry too deeply into his business dealings."

"Have you heard from him?" Rose inquired. Her mother's response would help direct the conversation.

"Yes, he called once he got checked into his hotel and before he had supper. I suppose we will talk again tonight after he's had supper. Would you and Alan like to video call with us tomorrow night? I'd like very much to see you and your expanded family again."

Rose felt caught between a rock and a hard place, then opted to enlighten her mother.

"Mom, Daddy's here in Middleburg. He has something to do at his company's offices in this town today. He did not say what."

"HE'S WHERE!??" Martha's voice increased in both volume and pitch, and Rose had to pull the phone away from her ear momentarily. "How do you know that?"

"He called Alan yesterday while we were coming back from taking David down to school. He's coming to our home for supper tonight, once he's done with whatever he came here to do. I believe he wishes to have a one-on-one, in-person discussion with Alan in addition to whatever work thing he had. He wouldn't say what the discussion would be about, but he did say he thought it would mostly impact Alan but might affect me as well."

"Rosalie, you know as well as I do, he's a bit intimidated by Alan, right? He's used to getting his way and browbeating others, and he was surprised at Alan's resistance to being cowed. Your father's likely to be antagonistic, believing as he does that the best defense is a strong and overpowering offense. You had better warn Alan."

"Oh, believe me, Mom, Alan knows how to deal with him. But I will remind Alan. Do you have any suggestions what I should make for supper?"

"Baked chicken with rice and vegetables is one of his favorites, and you make it so well, dear. He prefers Heineken beer to wine, and the alcohol might help to dull his edge a little, too."

"Thank you very much, Mom. I have everything I need already at home, except for the beer. Alan doesn't drink very much alcohol."

"So, was the revelation of your father's presence there the reason for your call?"

"It was not the primary issue I wished to discuss; it's more of a catalyst for having this call." Rose paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, then charged ahead. "Why are you and Daddy still together? You seem like a modern-day Odd Couple at times. I mean, I could see staying together for my sake, but I've been out on my own for over 20 years."

"Wow! You're not holding back much, are you dear? I don't think we have time to get into this very far right now. Just accept that I love your father and I know he loves me in return. We give each other space and occasionally enjoy our time together." Rose heard the inflection in her words and drew the logical conclusion that her parents still had sex together. "I hope you and Alan are giving each other enough space as well."

Rather than get defensive, Rose simply sighed and said, "Yes, Mother, we do. Thank you for your concern on our behalf."

"You must have work to do, dear. I would like to have a video call tonight while Elliot is still within your walls, though. He will need some time to prepare himself before he returns home to me." And Rose could hear an edge to Martha's tone. She stifled a small giggle, then closed out the call with, "I will see what we can do, Mom. I love you, very much, and I do wish to be in more frequent communication."

"I look forward to improving our relationship, Rosalie. Have a good day and we'll try to talk tonight. Bye!"

"Goodbye, Mom."

= = =

Tuesdays were generally slow days at Johnson's Jewelers in downtown Middleburg. Not as slow as Wednesdays or Thursdays usually, but slower than Fridays or Saturdays. The few customers who did come in provided a welcome break for Maggie from her own thoughts. There's only so much dusting and polishing that could be done but those tasks required less mental stimulation than interacting with customers. She truly enjoyed helping customers reach informed decisions and make pleasing purchases. She also enjoyed receiving her bi-weekly paychecks which were accumulating in her new shares account at the AgCU her mother was now in charge of.

Today, though, Maggie was trapped in her thoughts. She was grateful for the electronic 'ding-dong' when somebody entered the store to stir her from her musings. She was worried about David. She knew he was safe at school, but it would be a very long three weeks until his first planned trip home. She needed to ask for that Saturday off, but Jack had disappeared out the door shortly after their arrival and store opening.

'Ding-dong,' went the sensor, and Maggie looked up to see Maeve Johnson coming in the door. Maggie straightened up and cheerfully welcomed the older woman. Smiling in return, Maeve walked through the displays towards the back room. She reached out and took Maggie by the hand and gently tugged her to the back room.

"But, the store..." Maggie stammered, to which Maeve continued, "... will still be there. The door will chime if opened. Come with me, child. I think we should talk."

Maggie allowed the kind, older lady to direct her, and they sat at the break table. Maggie was silent, politely waiting for Mrs. Johnson to initiate the discussion. Maeve looked deeply into Maggie's green eyes and smiled gently.

"You're missing your young man, aren't you? I can see it in your eyes and your face. You didn't sleep as well last night as you are accustomed to, am I right?" At Maggie's nod, Maeve smiled more broadly. "It's all right, Margaret. You, your sister, and your mother have made a very large splash in our otherwise quiet pool. Good for you! Okay, so here's why I'm here.

"You have completed one month of employment with Johnson's Jewelers. From everything Jack and I have observed and the feedback we have received from our customers, you are doing splendidly! You have never once been late to work. You learned everything you could from Alice before she had to depart. Your customer service is second to none, and you're very pretty. Your comportment borders on elegance and you go above and beyond what Jack expected of you.

"You now merit requesting one, fully-paid, work shift off per month. We can easily juggle someone coming from another store once per month to give you a little break. But we have to know of the request two weeks ahead of time. Because you are here with Jack all the time, you are not obliged to fill in for anyone else at any other of our stores. You are the employee of our flagship store, so to speak."

Maggie's eyes began to fill with tears of unspoken gratitude. She would not have to feel bad about requesting a day off to spend with David when he was home. Her tears began to overflow her eyes and run down her cheeks. Maeve was prepared for this, tissue at the ready to save Maggie's mascara. Which Maggie was not wearing that morning, so there was no mess to clean up. Maggie sniffed back her tears as best she could and did her best to put on a happy expression.

As she stood, Maeve stood as well, and Maggie gave her a very grateful hug. Maeve was surprised at the strength and ferocity of Maggie's embrace but welcomed it nonetheless. They stood there, holding each other, surrogate grandmother to surrogate granddaughter, for almost five minutes. Then the 'ding-dong' of the door's alert caused them to break apart, and Maggie hurried out to the main room. Maeve needed a few more minutes to compose herself while Maggie helped the customers.

= = =

There was little to be gained by postponing the inevitable, so Alan caught Gil as the latter entered the office. Gil had been expecting Alan's request for some time, and the schedule was cleared for both of them between 11 and 12. Alan returned to his office to organize his statements and supporting material.

"Gil, I hope you did not bring me in to be your hatchet man," Alan began once the initial pleasantries had been dispensed with. "You alerted me about the likelihood of challenges with Eddie and Melvin when I started. I heard you and took note. Yet I can't help but think that you decidedly understated the challenges I would have with those two."

"No, Alan, I definitely did not bring you in to be a 'hatchet man'," Gil stated firmly. "I was simply too close to have an objective perspective and, of course, I know and trust your professional opinion. So, please, lay it out for me."

"John and Mark are excellent PMs. Their teams are truly teams, looking out for and backing up each other. I have no worries about them at all. But Eddie and Melvin are struggling. The team members are okay but they're suffering from the lack of good leadership."

"So, what do you suggest be done, Alan?"

"One of my first bosses, Casey Powell, said something in his welcome speech to the crop of new employees. He said, 'if you're having trouble with a subordinate, ask yourself one question: if their life depended on it, could they do the job? If the answer is yes, then you have an attitude problem; if the answer is no, then it's an education problem. Then take the appropriate steps.' Obviously, I have never forgotten this.

"Eddie can't do the job with his current skill set. He either needs some training or be put back in the worker bees' group. Melvin could do the job, but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder and he is very inconsistent with his team. It's actually kind of toxic. I think that Jerry on his team could be pushed up, but he would need similar training as Eddie."

Gil leaned back in his chair and interlaced his fingers behind his head, smiling. He had chosen very well in offering the position to Alan. Now he needed Alan to man up.

"Very well, then, Alan. Make it happen. Find some training for Eddie and Jerry to attend. You also need to have a very difficult conversation with Melvin, but give it a day, please. Now, how about we go to lunch?"

= = =

Julie entered the Accounting Lab and her fatigue faded while her spirits were lifted at the sight of Tom. Because it was the first day of the semester, he had no one there asking for help. He was using his time wisely and reading ahead for one of his classes. Hearing her come in, he closed his book, stood up, and took Julie into his embrace. He loved to hold her as much as she loved being held by him. By agreement, they rubbed their noses as the most PDA they would demonstrate outside of their apartment. Allowing her to snuggle in, he eased them back to the seat he had occupied and set her on his lap.

"Aside from long, how were your two classes today?" he inquired.

Grimacing, she responded, "Aside from long? I can say with a high degree of probability that I will be very glad when these classes are completed and behind me. One of my instructors is a real man-hating witch. 'Gail the Whale' has no respect for anybody with an XY chromosome pair. Fortunately, I'm not included in that group. I don't know how the three guys are going to make it through the week let alone the entire semester. The other class should be fine; lots of reading and a couple of papers and a comprehensive final exam. How about yours?"

"I just had the one class from 10 to 12 with Mr. Price. It's his brother-in-law's company that I'm accepting the employment offer from. Small class, just eight of us soon-to-graduate Seniors, but it promises to be pretty far-ranging in topics that don't merit an entire course in and of themselves."

"Oh, so you've chosen which offer you are accepting? When did you decide?" she asked, getting excited.

"I've pretty much known ever since that first interview back at the end of September. Despite the other two offers with more money, the pay differential would be quickly eaten up by the much higher cost of living in Chicago or Atlanta. Weighing the options and coming to grips with my choices was why I was a little withdrawn this past weekend. But I'm good now. I need to sign and return the offer to Mr. Timmons." He paused for a moment, considering something. "I should send the other two a polite letter declining their offer. You never know when our paths might cross again in the future."

"You see that sort of calm pragmatism is just one of the reasons I love you so much. You help dial me down when I get spun up. I think you're going to have to do that a lot if 'Gail the Whale' gets me riled with her rhetoric."

Tom held Julie by the shoulders, pushing her out to his arms' length so she could see his face.

"Jules, I'm asking you nicely this time. Please do not use that nickname for Ms. Gail Greer, especially in my hearing. It's unfair to her and, more importantly, it just cheapens you. Don't do it again, please." Getting a nod of acknowledgment from her, Tom pulled her back to his chest and said softly, "If it happens again, I'll have to spank you, little girl."

Julie's eyes widened in shock, and possible excitement, at Tom's declaration. "You wouldn't dare!"

"If you don't believe my words, go ahead and try me. You may not like the results, though," he said quite resolutely.

That sent a frisson down her spine, almost as though she realized she had walked into a minefield. Mentally, she was backpedaling quickly. She remained quiet for almost fifteen minutes, just thinking about this unrealized side of Tom. She decided that she liked his absolutism on this matter. He never had to stop and think about how to treat someone else. He just was that way, to his very core. He was that way whether in their presence or not. It was a fairly simple ethic and one she would like to adopt for her own. She resolved not to use 'Gail the Whale' and not to test him when he had 'drawn a line in the sand'. She shivered again.

"Okay, Tom, I won't use that phrase again. You're right, it's disrespectful to her and I should not have been repeating it. I'm sorry if I've pushed a 'hot' button of yours." Then she giggled a little and pulled out her phone. "Here, I saw this while trolling through Facebook today." It was a graphic of a TV remote control and the caption said, 'I didn't mean to push all of your buttons... I was searching for the mute.' Tom gave a little chuckle, snorted, and handed back her phone.

"Send that to me, will you please?"

Julie nodded happily, gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, and stood up. "I'm going home to cook you some supper. I'm going to expect some 'personal attention' this evening, and we have class tomorrow so we can't stay up too late doing that. Are you okay walking home?"

"Yeah, it's not snowing and the sidewalks between here and there have all been cleared. I'm here until 5:00, so I should be home no later than 5:30. Long before the monsters come out," he said, referencing a discussion they had back in September.

"Great! Supper should be ready by 6:00. I do love you, Thomas Richard Harrison. I'm sorry if I antagonized you today." She wrapped her arms around him and gave a very promising kiss on the lips before giggling and stepping away to leave him alone in the Accounting Lab.