Synchronicity for Six Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We probably should let her cry this out for a bit," Rose observed, receiving nods from everyone. "I'll go up in a while and see what I can do. We can't have you two being too late getting back to your place."

Alan led them into the living room and they all sat, knowing some discussion would be needed.

"Tom, you seemed to have gotten her calmed down at church. What did you say to her?" Rose inquired.

"I told her that it will be all right and that I would make things all right," Tom answered. "I reminded her that I'd given her the pearls at Thanksgiving while Maggie had gotten the painting from David. That the gift I'd given her, even with the discount, cost so much more than the pair of rings." He held up his hand to forestall interruption. "David and I do talk to each other, occasionally, and he told me what the rings cost. I still haven't, and will not, tell Julie how much the pearls were."

Maggie interjected at this point. "Mom, I recall our discussing the whole idea of the rings. At that time, I didn't think Jules would react very well. I guess I was right. But we need to be very clear that these are neither engagement rings nor pre‑engagement rings. They are friendship rings. They help to keep us connected and thinking of each other while we're apart. They also demonstrate to others that we are in a committed relationship." Her mother bowed her head in acquiescence.

Raising her head, Rose looked squarely into Tom's eyes and asked, "What did you mean when you told her that you would make it all right?"

"Rose, Dad," he began, switching his gaze from one to the other, "It is my intention to marry Julie shortly after she graduates next May. That should give me a year to become established in my career. We have not yet discussed any marriage plans. I know we're only a month into our living together, but aside from some communication issues, my mind and heart are made up. Frankly, I sort of expected something to come up about the rings Maggie and David exchanged, and I'm pretty sure you did as well." He saw small nods from both parents. "Well, where do we go from here?" he inquired.

= = =

Julie flung herself on their bed, her eyes awash with her tears. It so wasn't fair for Maggie to get a ring before she did. She was the older of the two; she should have gotten a ring first. That was the order in which things should have happened. Without any doubt, it had been a weekend of intense drama for Julie. She completely ignored all protestations that they were friendship rings. 'A ring is a ring is a ring,' she thought. She also had forgotten, conveniently, that Tom had given her pearls at Thanksgiving until Tom had reminded her that morning. But pearls weren't worn every day and had much less of a claiming impact than a ring on a finger did.

Within ten minutes, Julie had cried herself out. She turned around to sit on the bed, and the door opened. Rose had not even bothered to knock, and Julie knew from experience that yet another stern talking‑to was in the offing. She just looked at her hands and sniffled occasionally. Rose sat beside Julie and began to express herself.

"Julia Ann Lawson, what is going on with you? You need to stop acting like an insecure girl on her first day in high school. You are endangering everything you've said you wanted in your relationship with Tom." Rose held up a hand to forestall Julie and continued.

"You got all upset at church about Maggie's ring, and now this outburst just as soon as we set foot inside the door. It's almost another case of 'how come everything I do wrong is my fault?' that you and I talked about on Friday and Saturday."

"Mom, it's not supposed to work out that she got a ring before I did,"

"What on earth ever gave you that idea, Jules?"

"Well,..." and she faltered. "That's the custom, isn't it? The oldest daughter gets married off first?"

"And I believe the next person to get married here is me. I'm the one with an engagement ring from my fiancé. Your boyfriend gave you an expensive set of pearls at Thanksgiving, as I recall. So, what's the deal with your sister getting an inexpensive ring from her boyfriend? My darling, you need to spend more time around these guys. Alan has many great sayings that he's always willing to trot out. The one that I recall that applies best here is this: 'God gave us two ears and one mouth so that we might listen twice as much as we speak.' You really haven't heard what's been said, have you?"

Julie bowed her head in shame as she realized that she had not been receptive to everything that was being said that morning. She was too wrapped up in her own agony of Maggie getting something she did not, regardless of its significance. She resisted what was being said.

She snapped back. "But Mom, it's like a pre-engagement ring!" and the tears began anew.

"Julie, it's nothing of that sort, not even close. David was very clear that the rings are nothing more than a token of friendship, to be worn only on the right hand or, perhaps eventually, on a chain as a necklace. They help keep those two connected and thinking about each other while they're apart. You and Tom are together every day. David and Maggie see each other at most every other weekend, maybe only once a month. Who do you think needs the rings more?"

That question rocked Julie back for a moment, and she saw the truth in her mother's words. Rose pressed on.

"Let's test your short-term memory, my daughter. What did your boyfriend tell you this morning? Let me give you a hint. 'It will be all right. I will..."

"... make things all right," Julie mumbled.

"Ah, so you were listening. Very good! Now, how do you suppose he plans to make things all right for you?"

"I suppose he could give me a friendship ring. But that would be like a consolation prize, and I'd want none of that."

Rose nodded and added, "And I think he's smart enough to know better. How else could he make things all right?"

"Valentine's Day is coming in two weeks. Maybe he's planning to propose then?" Julie's expression brightened significantly at that thought.

"I'm sorry to say this, dear one, but I don't think his budget is ready for that yet; at least not for a formal engagement ring. Alan set the bar pretty high in that respect, don't you agree?" Rose had extended her left hand and gazed at the rose gold band with the diamond mounted thereupon.

"In the meantime," Rose continued, "I think you would benefit from watching and listening to what was actually said when they gave each other those rings. Come with me and let's get you cleaned up and presentable once more." Rose stood and pulled Julie to her feet. Gently pushing Julie into the hall bath, Rose left her with the admonition to come downstairs for lunch.

Julie cleaned off her makeup (what little she had applied) and cleared the tear tracks from her cheeks as best she could. Still hanging her head slightly, she descended the stairs to find the other four seated at the dining table, waiting for her. Slipping into the chair next to Tom, she hesitantly reached out her hand for his. With a loving smile, Tom took her proffered hand and the rest of the family quickly linked up to ask the blessing for the meal.

Once the food had been enjoyed, leftovers relegated to the refrigerator, and the dishes placed in the sink, Rose took Julie by the hand and led her and Tom to the media room.

"Magpie, would you please cue up the video from last Sunday?" Rose requested of her youngest. "You, two," she said addressing Julie and Tom, "sit there in the prime viewing location." She gestured to the couch. Julie sat between Tom and Maggie, with Tom to her left. "Alan, are you joining us, please?"

"Why? Are you coming apart?" he riposted. "I'll be there in a minute." Once he had entered, he sat in his chair and Rose sat on his lap. Maggie began to speak.

"Let me set this up for you, Jules. This was last Sunday afternoon at the Johnsons' other downtown jewelry store, not the one I work in. Mrs. Johnson had the presence of mind to catch this on her phone." Maggie then began to play the video.

"Margaret Kathleen Lawson, I hereby pledge to you my eternal friendship. You mean the world to me. Please accept this token of my promise to return to you, always. Wear it in good health and know that I'm always thinking of you while we're apart." Julie heard David's emotion‑filled words, and her eyes widened in surprise. Something was obscuring her view of the display, and she wiped away yet another tear while the video file continued to play.

Then Maggie's voice came out over the speakers. "David Michael Harrison, I hereby pledge to you my eternal friendship. My world is nothing without you in it. Please know that you are ever in my thoughts, and may it bless you." Maggie's hand reached into Julie's lap to clasp her hand. With a sorrowful expression, Julie looked at her younger sister.

"Jules, I have never liked it when we would fight or quarrel. I especially dislike it when I don't even know that we're fighting. I love you dearly, sister. Please don't be upset with me." Julie just sat there for a few moments, taking in everything.

"Those words you both spoke sounded very formal, almost rehearsed, but I did not hear anything remotely related to an engagement or a marriage proposal," Tom filled in the silence. "I heard something about promises and eternal friendships. It was so moving. I'm very sorry we weren't there to see it in person."

"Believe it or not, Tom, we both spoke off the cuff. We decided on Saturday about getting friendship rings. Then the Johnsons took us down to the other store on Sunday afternoon so we could find rings before David had to leave for school," Maggie replied. "We never discussed the metal or designs or even what we might say to each other. I just took my cues from David. He told Dad afterward that he hadn't rehearsed anything to say. The words just came out that way. He must have done very well in his Public Speaking classes."

"Actually, much of that probably came from his multiple times as Senior Patrol Leader of the Boy Scout troop. Nothing will get you thinking on your feet faster than a homesick 13-year-old at summer camp at midnight." Tom chuckled. "He has always had a great way of working with people and knowing the right thing to say." Turning to his girlfriend, he gently kissed her cheek. "I know from talking with Dad that the pair of rings cost about one‑fifth of what I spent on your pearls. Those are really good pearls, Jules. They should last a lifetime. I promise you that I will make this all better, but it's gonna take me some time. Okay?" All Julie could do was nod her head. She could not trust herself to speak coherently. Tom requested, "Mags, could you please send me a copy of that video?" and Maggie nodded eagerly.

"We'll give you two a few moments, but you need to be getting on the road," Rose intoned. She stood and pulled Alan to his feet, wiping the small tears from the corners of his eyes. "You big softy," she murmured to him. Soon it was just Julie and Tom in the room. They just sat there on the couch, holding each other for a few minutes.

"I love you, Julia. Truly, madly, deeply. I don't know what has led us to have these issues, but for our sanity, yours and mine, they simply cannot continue."

"I know that, Tom. I think I'll need the trip back to school to arrange my thoughts. Can we block out some time tonight to hold each other and talk about this?" Julie asked.

"I'm inclined to acquiesce to your request." He paused for a moment. "That means, 'yes', by the way."

"Where's that from?"

" 'Pirates of the Caribbean', I believe. Geoffrey Rush's character. I forget the character's name. Actually, the original line was something like, 'I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. That means "no".'"

"Your family and your movie quotations!"

"Sometimes you need to have professionals get your words right," he shrugged. "Shall we pack up our things and get on the road?"

Working together, it wasn't but five minutes before they descended with their overnight bags. Setting them at the front door, the search for the other three ended up in the kitchen. Rose and Maggie were sitting at the table while Alan was finishing loading the dishwasher.

"Magpie, could you also send me a copy of that video?" Julie asked, softly. Maggie leaped to her feet and crushed her sister with a very loving embrace. "Of course," she whispered.

Tom hugged Alan while Rose hugged Julie yet again, then they swapped partners. Julie gave Alan a sweet kiss on the cheek and he returned the favor on her forehead but said nothing. Tom succumbed to Rose's pull for a deep hug, and he whispered in her ear, "I'll take care of this, Momma." Pulling back, Rose's hand flew to her mouth as tears welled up once again.

"You've been talking with David," she observed. "Go with God, son. Let us know when you arrive, please."

"We will. Bye. Love you all."

= = =

Katie rang the doorbell at 3:55 that afternoon. The front door opened about fifteen seconds later and she was wrapped in a friendly, loving hug by Maggie. Blushing slightly, Katie decided she could get used to this; in fact, she would like to become used to this. Divested of her coat, Katie was led to the media room. The large display was hooked to a laptop, and there was a pretty blonde already in the Zoom meeting.

"Donna, this is a new friend of mine from church, Katie O'Shea. Her brother is one of David's gaming buddies. Katie, this is one of my friends from Centreville, Donna Young." Donna smiled and waved in greeting to Katie, who tentatively waved back.

"I've got some news but I'll wait for the rest of the gang to arrive," Donna said, whetting Maggie's curiosity.

Very soon thereafter, the other two appeared on the screen, and Maggie introduced Katie to Joy Wagner and Abbie Nakamura, who both smiled happily and waved back.

"Wow, so now we know what induced Maggie to call this meeting," Abbie teased. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Katie."

"And yours as well, Abbie," Katie answered.

"Okay, Donna, what's your news?" Maggie demanded.

"I got my acceptance letter from State yesterday!" Donna gushed. That set of a small round of squeals, and Katie noticed Abbie blushed and ducked her head briefly.

"That's two of us so far," Maggie commented, "and I'm working with Katie here to get her past the ACT so she can go there, too."

Katie tapped Maggie on the leg and pointed at Abbie's picture on the screen.

"Abs, what's wrong?" Maggie asked.

"Nothing, nothing at all. It's just that there's gonna be three of us there in the fall. I got my acceptance letter over the Christmas break."

That set off more squeals of happiness and a very brief look of sadness on Joy's part. This time Maggie saw it. She knew Joy was having trouble with her mathematics, and the wheels began to turn in Maggie's head.

"Joy, when we're done, would you please hang on? I have an idea I'd like to bounce by you," Maggie declared. Joy bobbed her head in acknowledgment. Katie took a bold step at that point. She lifted Maggie's right hand and pulled it closer to the laptop's camera.

"What's THAT?" exclaimed Donna. "It's pretty for its simplicity."

Maggie then had to give her news about the friendship rings that she and David had exchanged the previous weekend. Once Maggie explained the meaning of the ring, the girls were amazed and quite happy for her, as well as a little envious. Maggie promised she would send them the video of them exchanging the rings.

The girls caught Maggie up on the happenings in Centreville while Maggie told of her experiences in Middleburg and how happy she was to have a dad in her life. She and Katie were unaware that Alan and Rose were lurking outside the door to the media room.

= = =

"See? I told you that you were having a positive impact on my daughter. You know what else? Tom called me 'momma' just before he left today!" Rose was pulling Alan across the foyer to the living room. She wanted to snuggle with him but not run the risk of intercourse, not at that time of day.

"I only hope he can get through to Julie. It distresses me for her to seem to be so volatile. I didn't get that impression at Thanksgiving or over Christmas. Any ideas?" Alan inquired.

"We didn't get into it much. I suspect much of it has to do with 24‑by‑7 access to each other. The family was a buffer for them while they were home, but once they got on their own..." Rose let her voice trail off, thinking. They just sat there on the sofa, wrapped in each other, gently touching and stroking but not kissing.

"I don't think it would be right to offer Laura's rings to Tom, do you?" Alan queried.

"Absolutely not! Despite the resemblance between Laura and Julie, Tom needs to do something on his own. Maybe we should place them in a safe deposit box for safekeeping?"

Alan's eyes widened in surprise at a memory. "I've got it!" and he snapped his fingers.

"What do you have? Is it contagious? Can it be treated?" Rose couldn't resist pulling on his chain a little. Alan's snort and chuckle caused her head to bounce on his chest.

"Smart aleck! We have the wedding sets for both my parents and Laura's parents, in a safe deposit box. We were both only children, so when they passed on, we just set them aside. I had forgotten about them until you said, 'safe deposit box'. My parents had no such plans for their rings; how could they as they were ripped from me while I was still in college. But Laura's folks specifically requested that their rings be used by one of our boys when the appropriate time came."

Rose's eyes grew wide in her excitement, then she became subdued once more.

"Tom and Julie aren't ready for that yet."

"I agree completely, love. They both have some more growing up to do. But I know Tom would never take a step that drastic without talking with us. With me, for permission to access his money, and with you for permission to marry Julie. If he happens to bring it up in a phone call, I will have to insist on a face‑to‑face meeting with him. When he talks to me about becoming engaged, only then will I let him know about his grandparents' rings."

"You are a very kind father and an occasionally evil man, Alan Joseph Harrison. Just the kind of man I intend to have my way with this evening."

'Uh-oh, somebody's let the Kraken loose again,' he thought, smiling.

= = =

Once their self-imposed time limit was reached, Abbie and Donna waved their farewells and promised to talk again in two weeks. Joy was waving as well, but Maggie stopped her from dropping off.

"Joy, you're having trouble in math again, aren't you, sweetie?"

Joy dropped her chin to her chest and nodded at the same time as she began to tear up.

"I really want to go to State with you, Abbie, and Donna. I don't want to be relegated to community college. But Trig is kicking my ass up and down, left and right."

Katie nodded her head in complete sympathy with Joy's plight.

"Joy, I'm tutoring Katie here two or three times a week. Would you like us to include you in these sessions?"

"Oh, would you? I don't need an 'A', just a 'B' or even a 'C'. But I need to score as high as possible on the ACT," Joy admitted.

"I cannot guarantee anything, Joy, but I promise I will do my very best to help you do as well as possible in your math course and on the ACT."

"That would be wonderful, Mags! When do we start?"

"Tomorrow after supper?" Maggie asked, looking at Katie for confirmation and getting a vigorous head bob in return. "Okay, 6:30 pm tomorrow. If you could email me where you are in your lessons, that would help a lot."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! You know this stuff cold, Mags. I know you'll be able to help me. I don't know why I didn't think to ask you before. I've got to go now. Love you! See you tomorrow!" And with that, Joy disconnected.