Synchronicity for Six Pt. 13

Story Info
Continuing the Harrison/Lawson story, Rose's mother visits.
12.6k words
4.84
1.7k
4
4

Part 13 of the 14 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 02/06/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Synchronicity for Six, Part 13

Author's Note: This is a story of the romantic love of three couples. There is very little explicit sex in it, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere on Literotica.

Saturday, February 20, 2021 ‑ continued

Julie easily extracted Tom's agreement to return to Middleburg to meet her grandparents. It seemed that her grip on his erection coupled with repetitive stroking up and down made him very compliant with her desires. One thing quickly led to another, and Julie was soon astride Tom, riding him for all she was worth. Her soft cries of delight were echoed by their frequent guests in the next room who never seemed to need much encouragement.

Enervated by their coupling, Tom and Julie fell back asleep for the remainder of the morning, wrapped in each other's arms.

When she woke much later, Julie could hear Dawn and John in the kitchen. She glanced at her phone and was a little dismayed to realize it was already the afternoon. Julie put on her robe and slowly shuffled to where her friends were sitting at the table, eating sandwiches.

"Hey there, girlfriend. It's about time you got up," Dawn called out as John turned his head to see their hostess entering the kitchen.

"Yeah, yeah", Julie yawned. "Is there any coffee?"

"You'll probably want to nuke it for a minute but, yeah, there is still some in the coffee pot."

Julie looked around and saw the rest of the kitchen was very tidy. "You did the dishes?" she asked.

"They were in the way and we needed to do something to show our thanks," Dawn explained. "John's gotten to be a very good dish dryer." John snorted at Dawn's evaluation of him.

"Alright, let me get a cup and wake up some more. Do you want to go out and do something today?" Julie asked.

"Sure. Why don't you check with Tom before making any plans, though."

At Dawn's words, Julie's hand flashed to her forehead as she remembered she needed to confirm with her mother that she and Tom would be home next weekend. Thoughtfully, Julie warmed up two cups of coffee. After making hers more acceptable to her palate, she returned to her bedroom to join Tom in sharing the liquid treasure. While he was sipping the brew, Julie texted her mother to confirm their plans to return to Middleburg for her grandparents' visit.

= = =

Katie and Alan were still engaged in her review for the ACT when Rose and Martha returned mid‑afternoon. The lunch plates and glasses bore mute testimony that they had had lunch. Martha hurried to use the powder room while Rose checked on her fiancé and her newest daughter.

They looked up as Rose entered the space, and Katie had a huge smile on her face. Alan was just... Alan: focused on the task at hand and committed to being as helpful as he could while making Katie do the work herself. Rose placed her index finger across her lips in a universal "quiet" sign and softly explained that she wanted her mother to continue believing the idea of having their wedding by the pond in the backyard of the new house was solely originated by Martha. Katie looked a little puzzled by the request but nodded her agreement. A smile played on Alan's lips as he recognized what Rose was doing, and he nodded as well.

"We need to warm up a bit, Alan. Would you mind terribly getting a fire going in the living room so Mother and I can defrost and work on wedding plans?" Rose entreated him.

"Gee, asking a Boy Scout to start a fire; how original!" Alan teased her. "Of course, my beloved." He sealed it with a kiss that was more than a simple peck on the lips, but kept his tongue to himself, this time. He quickly strode to the living room to get some additional warmth going.

"Momma, why do you want Grandma to think having the wedding by the pond is her idea?" Katie asked, just as quietly as Rose had just made her request.

"With my mother, sometimes it's best to let her think some things are her ideas and then give her room to try to plan things; less tension that way. This is one of those things that I'm going to let her think she's having her way. She never got to do this when I eloped with Ron Lawson, Julie's and Maggie's father."

"Ah. Okay."

"So, how far have you two gotten with your review?" Rose asked at a normal volume.

"I'd say we're about one‑third through the study guide. Poppa's been annoyingly persistent about not giving me the answers. He has given me some test‑taking suggestions, though, that I had never considered before." Katie pouted slightly while mentioning Alan's consistency in making Katie do the work.

"Hmmm," Rose hummed noncommittally, a smile twitching on her lips.

Just then the powder room door opened and Martha hustled out, looking both ways and spying Rose and Katie in the dining room.

"Ah, there you are, dear," Martha said, rubbing her still‑chilled hands together. "Can you get Alan to get a fire going?"

"I'm way ahead of you, Mother. He's handling it now." Turning back to Katie, Rose inquired, "Katie, may we borrow one of those notepads and a pen for a while? We have to start making some plans for this wedding we're going to have."

"Of course, Momma," Katie chirped as she offered one of the notebooks and a couple of pens.

"Thank you, Sweetheart," Martha said, taking the paper and pens. "Come along, Rosalie. We have to get started, now!"

= = =

The mail that day held a surprise for Alan. Among the wasteful circulars and unwanted offers to "green‑up" his lawn was a card. The envelope was hand‑addressed with a flowery elegance seldom seen anymore. It wasn't calligraphy, per se, but it showed attention to detail and exquisite, old‑fashioned penmanship.

With a puzzled look on his visage, he sat in his recliner while Rose and Martha were busy making lists and discussing the pros and cons of various aspects of the upcoming wedding. Katie was seated on the floor in front of the fireplace, soaking in the heat as well as the inherent love and affection. He sat there, just staring at the envelope in his hands. There was no return address, although there was a postmark from Columbia. Rose raised her head to see Alan considering the envelope.

"What do you have there, Alan?"

"It feels like a card and it's addressed to 'The Family of Laura Harrison'. There's no return address." Rose could see the slight pang on his face at seeing his late wife's name in writing.

"Well, open it up."

With a sigh, Alan opened the envelope and pulled out a card. The same handwriting as on the envelope filled in the spaces.

"What does it say, Poppa?" Katie asked, now standing in front of him.

Alan read the particulars to himself and sighed mightily. Now Martha and Rose were watching him, waiting for the grand reveal.

"It's a 'Save the Date' card. We are invited to a family reunion of Laura's family to be held over Independence Day weekend in Columbia. It will be hosted by Laura's aunt Helen and her cousin Jewel at their home. A response is requested by May first."

"Poppa, there's some writing on the back of the card, too," Katie informed him, pointing at the card. Alan turned it over and read aloud.

"Dear Alan and sons, I know this invitation probably comes as a surprise, but you are still considered part of the Wilson family. Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss of Laura. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to her funeral, but I was very ill and could not travel. Jewel and I would like for you, your sons, and any serious girlfriends to join us at my home for this reunion. You three are the only family I have left on my parents' side of the family. My cousin, Jewel, likewise has no offspring, but her brother Irving has two sons about your age, Alan, and two grandsons about your sons' age. Please join us. Love, Aunt Helen Wilson."

The room was quiet for a minute, then Rose declared, "Oh, we are so going!"

She got to her feet and quickly went to the kitchen. She soon returned with the family planning calendar and a red felt tip pen. Flipping the pages to July, Rose boldly scribed over July third through fifth the words "Wilson Family Reunion". Rose then sat back and admired her handiwork.

"While we've got this in front of us, Rose, let's look at May and June for a good date for your wedding," Martha directed. That drew Katie's attention and Martha flipped two pages down to reveal May.

"My high school graduation is here," Katie offered, pointing at Thursday, May 27th. Rose quickly penned that on the calendar.

"Hmmm. We need to check with Maggie when Centreville's graduation is. Alan, when does Tom have his graduation ceremony?" Rose asked.

"Gosh, I honestly don't know. I suspect it would be the second or third weekend in May, but we'll have to ask."

Martha pursed her lips in frustration. "It doesn't look like May would be a good month to try to have your wedding, Rose. Let's look at June." Rose flipped the page to June.

"We have Saturday the 5th," Martha stated, and Alan quickly chimed in.

"I'm sorry, but that's the day of my company's annual picnic and games day." Rose quickly added that to the calendar.

"Hmmph! That leaves us the 12th, the 19th, and the 26th," Martha noted.

"Isn't the 19th Fathers' Day weekend?" Alan asked, and Rose quickly confirmed that fact. "Yeah, well I'd really rather not run the risk of having my anniversary coincide with a holiday like that. Same for the end of May with Memorial Day."

"Alan, you're making this very difficult. Well, that leaves us either the 26th or the 12th for your wedding, Rose," Martha observed.

"It will probably be rather hot at the end of June or in July. The 26th won't work because we'd still be on our honeymoon when the reunion happens. We simply have to attend that, Alan. I think it's going to have to be on the 12th, Mother."

"Well, it's a good thing we won't have any venue conflicts with the service or the reception," Martha said dryly.

"We won't have to worry much about that. A few dozen chairs and a few tables should suffice. Some decorations wouldn't go amiss, though."

"But what about all the guests you're inviting?" Martha inquired.

"We're not inviting as many guests as I think you're anticipating. The only people who must be here are Alan, myself, Pastor John, our children, and you and Daddy. Everyone else can attend or not as their schedules permit. We just need to get the people on board. We can speak with Pastor John in the morning."

"But..."

"No, Mother. No 'buts'. Alan and I want a simple, low‑key event. That's just who we are and you'll see that during the rest of your visit. We aren't just starting out in life, so we don't need any wedding gifts. I will gratefully accept all your help in getting this planned out, but once this juggernaut starts rolling, please just try to sit back and enjoy the celebration."

Martha sighed softly in resignation. At least this time she was allowed to plan her daughter's wedding as well as being the MotB.

Katie noticed the time and asked, "Poppa? Do you want me to go and get Maggie from work? It's nearly time."

"You took her this morning. I'll go fetch her now. Would you please work with Momma about supper? Our plans changed a little when they came home as soon as they did," Alan replied.

"Of course, Poppa."

"While you're going out, dear, would you mind picking up some garlic butter bread? I like that with spaghetti," Rose requested.

"Oooh, yes, please, Poppa?" Katie piled on, trying out her 'sad puppy eyes' on him.

Alan chuckled quietly, thinking to himself that it was a very good thing that he and Laura did not have any girls. They'd have had him wrapped around their fingers very tightly.

= = =

Alan and Maggie stopped at the grocery store on their way home. While Alan picked out two loaves of garlic‑buttered bread at the bakery, Maggie made a beeline for the dairy case. She soon returned with a bottle of coffee creamer in hand and a pleading expression on her face.

"Don't we have creamer at home?" he inquired.

"Yes, but I really like this flavor. Can we get it, please?"

Saying nothing more, Alan examined her 'find', and gracefully nodded his acceptance.

"Thanks, Poppa," Maggie said. Rising up on tiptoe, she kissed his cheek. Alan blushed, slightly at Maggie's public demonstrativeness.

The delightful scents of the pasta sauce with meat assailed their senses as they entered from the garage. Maggie hurried to the kitchen with the bread and flavored creamer.

"Whatcha got there, Magpie?" Martha inquired. She was sitting at the kitchen table, staying out of Rose's way.

"Just the bread for tonight, Grandma, and some coffee creamer. Here, Momma," Maggie continued as she handed the bread to her mother. Maggie gave an almost devilish smile as she added, "I really like this Amaretto‑flavored one. Thank you, Poppa, for buying it for us."

"You are quite welcome, my Magpie," Alan answered.

The supper was quite delicious, and Alan had to admit that the inclusion of the garlic butter bread pushed it over the top. The girls quickly helped to clear the table and load the dishwasher. They then disappeared into the media room to see if they could contact Joy about how her Trig test went. They emerged about five minutes later, slightly dejected as Joy was unavailable. They'd have to wait until Sunday afternoon to find out how Joy had done.

"Mags, Poppa and I made a lot of headway with the study guide today. Could we go to my room and see if we can get a little more accomplished tonight?" Katie asked.

"Of course, Kat. Let's go! Oh, Momma," Maggie called out. "We're going to be upstairs preparing Katie for her ACT exam."

"That's fine, dear. Thanks for letting us know," Rose replied, as the girls quickly disappeared.

"I think I'm going to read some while I relax in my recliner, Rose," Alan informed his fiancée.

"That's also fine, honey. Mother and I will just sit here at the dining table doing some more wedding planning."

Rose and Martha pulled out the lists they had been making and resumed their discussion. Rose soon realized that this was not going to be an easy process, nor would they make much more headway that evening. She could sense some edge creeping into her part of the discussion and thought the same might be true for her mother.

"Mother, I think we should set this aside for tonight. We have church in the morning and then after lunch, we'll revisit the property. I'm very excited to show you the inside of this new house."

"I think you may be right about tonight, Rose. This is starting to seem a little adversarial, and neither of us wants that. We should set this aside and cogitate on the things we think are important. What are the plans for tomorrow morning?"

"We try to be up by 8:00 and have a light breakfast. We leave for church at 8:45. They have coffee and donuts or pastries at church for enjoyable social time before worship. You'll be able to meet more of our friends then. Could you please be here by 8:30?" Rose requested.

"I think I can be here by then." Martha gave her daughter a big hug and a loving kiss on the cheek, then headed to her rental car. "I'll see you in the morning, dear."

"Drive safely, Mother," Rose called out and waved as Martha departed. Rose then locked the front door and started to turn out the lights.

"Is everything okay?" Alan's voice in her ear made Rose jump and give a small shriek of surprise.

Catching her breath, she willed her heart to stop racing. This had nothing to do with the positive feelings Alan provided her. This was a negative reaction to his habit of being "silent‑but‑deadly." The stealth and tracking skills that made him so successful out in the woods really had no place in Rose's life indoors. "Let's get everything turned off and head for bed. I need to share some things with you," she said a little shakily.

"Oh, I'm all for sharing with you, Rose," Alan said with a lilt in his voice. "You head on up and I'll be right behind you."

Alan entered his bedroom a few minutes later. Rose was in the ensuite, brushing her teeth, so he stripped and got in bed, naked, anticipating some spirited "discussion."

She emerged from the bathroom wearing a plain cotton nightie that came down to just above her knees. Alan just stared at her, stunned. His mouth was moving slightly, but no sounds were coming out. She walked around the foot of the bed to get in on her side. As she slid into bed, Alan noticed that she was wearing panties as well. This was, in his estimation, not a positive sign. He was wracking his brain for a reason when she began to explain.

"I'm a bit angry with you, Alan Joseph Harrison. I know I haven't said anything about this before, so you didn't know. I really dislike it when you sneak up on me. It startles and scares me, like when Mother left tonight.

"You've got to stop the sneakiness, at least with me!" she demanded. "I'm also quite put out with my mother tonight for the litany of things that occurred today. Again, they're not your fault, but that just compounds my displeasure tonight.

"For tonight, just hold me close, please."

= = =

"Yes, Elliot, I'm fine; safe and secure in my room," Martha assured her husband. She had called him once she determined there was nothing on the television worth her time. "It was a good day, I thought. We saw where Maggie is working in the jewelry store. Her boss, the owner, is a very nice gentleman. I saw where Rose's office is. Were you aware that she is the General Manager of the whole credit union? Not the head teller? No, I did not say anything to her. She knows we're proud of her for standing on her own two feet for so long.

"After that, she took me out to this property they are buying. It's a big house, Elliot, with a covered front porch that wraps around on one of the sides; the porch is to die for. We're going to see the inside tomorrow afternoon. Yes, I know, we need to be invited to visit; we just can't drop in. And their backyard is going to be perfect for their wedding. Yes, they decided today on Saturday, June 12th.

On his end, Elliot simply had to wait out Martha before he could get much in edgewise. When she finally took a break to breathe, he managed briefly to redirect the conversation.

"I'm sorry, Martha, that I could not be there with you this week. It's my last week at the company and there are just too many things I cannot simply drop on someone else's desk and walk out the door. I need to finish this all off, nice and neat. I've been doing all of this for you, you know. I promise you that I'll be on the flight on Friday. You've only been gone two days, but I'm missing you already. How is Alan?"

"Oh, Elliot, you should see him interacting with two of your granddaughters. The love that Maggie and Katie have for him is reflected back at them tenfold. Not to mention how good he is for our Rosie."

"Maggie and Katie? I thought Maggie's older sister was Julia?"

"We now have three granddaughters, Elliot. Don't you remember from the video calls? It's a long story and one best saved for when you get here. Yes, Julie is the older sister. She'll be home with Tom next weekend as well. David's coming home as well. I have to let you go now. They've talked me into going to church with them in the morning. Rest well, Elliot. We'll talk tomorrow night. Goodbye."

"Good‑." Elliot stood there, looking at his phone in surprise. Martha had disconnected the call before he could tell her goodbye and good night.

Sunday, February 21, 2021

"Where is she?" Rose muttered. "She said she would be here by 8:30."

"Honey, it's only 8:45. We still have time before worship," Alan replied calmly.