Take Me Now

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Suck it up. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you. I'm sure he has a good reason.

"Did you see the hot guy in there?" A blonde-haired, twenty-something girl whispered conspiratorially to her. "I'd like to break me off a piece of him." She giggled and turned her chair back around.

Okay then... Alex chuckled and shook her head, exiting the building as quickly as possible. She couldn't say that she disagreed, but the fact that he was the boss's grandson made her wary.

Alex decided to treat herself to a sit-down lunch at a mom and pop diner. It had been a long, confusing day and she just wanted some time to enjoy something by herself. She placed her order for the Caesar salad, potato soup combo. The lunch special was for all you can eat, but she would stop at one serving. After all, they did serve bread too. She loved food and had the stretch marks to prove it. After the whole Mark fiasco, she let herself go and gained a good twenty pounds.

It's what happened when she was sad and ate her feelings. She didn't care about anything, but the immediate satisfaction of comfort foods. It took her six months to lose the weight, but after some major soul searching and many hours at the gym, she shed the sadness in the form of her fat. Now that she was living for herself again, instead of focusing on someone else all the time, she felt much happier and much healthier.

Goodbye sad, unhappy Alex. Hello fun, healthy Alex.

Her food came fast and her waitress, whose name was Jackie, smiled a lot, calling her things like honey and sweetheart interchangeably. Alex thanked her and ate slowly, taking in the decor and furnishings of the small establishment. It had red booths and chairs with wooden tables painted white. It reminded her of peppermints, but it sure didn't smell like the sweet candy. The aromas of bacon cheeseburgers, chili cheese fries, and hot wings were among the scents wafting in her direction.

"Can I get you anything else, darlin'?" The middle-aged waitress asked with a tired smile, tucking loose strands of greying hair into her ponytail.

"Just the check, please."

"Sure thing. Here you are, honey." Jackie tore off the ticket and set it on the table.

"Thank you," Alex said as she finished her water and grabbed the check.

"You're welcome. You have a good day now, ya hear?" Jackie offered a wide, warm smile and started to clear the dishes.

Alex couldn't help smiling back. "I will. You too."

She paid up and walked out the door, fiddling with her keys as she drew closer to her car.

"Alexandra?"

Only one person ever called her that besides her mother.

She groaned inwardly and turned around. "Mark."

"How have you been?" He smiled smugly, looking as handsome as ever.

Why is he stalking me?

"Why do you care?" She bit back her contempt, not in the mood for a fight. "Did you follow me here?"

Not that I truly give a shit, but here's to civility and all, right?

"Kind of, yeah." He brushed a hand through his straight brown hair, his deep blue eyes trained on her. "I just needed to talk to you."

What part of I never want to see you again, was difficult?

"I don't want to do this right now. I've gotta get back to work. So..." Alex let her words trail off, hoping he'd get the hint.

"Okay. Yeah. It was good to see you. Just know that I'm not leaving town until you take me back." He smiled sadly, shifting on his feet as she got into the car. Before she had a chance to close the door, he leaned in. "I, uh, I miss you."

Alex looked away and sighed. "I don't have time for this, Mark. Please let me go."

Like you did each time you cheated. You had to have known I would leave.

"That's all you have to say?" He stepped back like she had slapped him, anger and regret burning in his eyes as he threw his hands up. "I came all this way to win you back and you don't even care?"

"What do you expect me to say? I don't want you back. I loved you and you never loved me enough to keep your dick in your pants. It's over. Just leave me alone." She inhaled deeply, trying to calm her nerves. "Goodbye, Mark. Don't contact me again."

"You'll regret this someday." He pressed his lips together in a firm line and glared.

"You know, Mark. I don't think that I will." She countered without so much as a backwards glance when she shut her door. She wondered if he was still standing there like a goon, but she ignored the impulse to look. Mark had his chance and he ruined it. Alex shook her head and started the engine, making sure she buckled up.

He wasn't worth my time.

Alex put him out of her mind and drove back to work, hoping Ian wouldn't be there. It wasn't because she didn't want to see him. If anything, her body awakened at the mere idea of his piercing hazel eyes, those sexy dimples. But she just couldn't take the risk of provoking her boss. If Susan ever found out she was interested, she could very well be fired. That would be a shame since she just moved all the way to a new town, for a fresh start.

I wonder if Ian's freaked out I work for his grandmother. I kind of am. A little.

Thankfully Ian was nowhere in sight. Susan is gone as well, she noted as she set down her purse and logged into her computer.

Probably out to lunch. Thank god.

The rest of the day rushed past her; everything she learned bled into something else. Alex didn't even remember the drive home. She took the stairs, wanting to avoid the possibility of running into Ian. Thankfully, he wasn't in front of her door either. She breathed a sigh of relief after her door was locked. She was so mentally exhausted that after getting undressed she crashed on the couch while watching her favorite show. She fell into a fitful sleep, caught between her soon-to-be ex-husband and the sexy guy in the elevator who was off limits.

The next morning, she woke up in a cold sweat with a crick in her neck. During her shower, she vowed to bury herself in work and do her best to avoid Ian. If she didn't spend any time with him, she wouldn't grow any more attached to the idea of something that she couldn't have. She was towel drying her hair when there was a knock at the door. With a groan, she pulled her robe tighter, figuring it was Ian. She whipped the door open to see a courier standing there with a large manila envelope.

"Morning, ma'am. Are you Mrs. Davis?" The plump fellow tipped his hat to her, like those men in old-fashioned western films.

"Yes. That's me. How can I help you?" She wrapped the towel around her shoulders and gazed at him with curiosity, trying to ignore the twinge of disappointment he wasn't a certain someone.

"You've been served. Here you go." He thrust the envelope in her hands and backed away as if he expected her to yell at him.

Alex ripped the envelope open, pulled the papers halfway out, and then let out a loud, joyful whoop. "Thank you so much!" she called after him with a smile so big that it took up half of her face.

He waved with a small, relieved smile. "You're welcome. Have a wonderful day."

"You too!"

Alex laughed a little and closed the door, clutching the divorce papers to her chest. Mark had finally signed them! She was finally going to be free.

As she finished taking the tabbed packet out, a piece of paper fluttered to the floor. She stooped to pick it up, scanning it once, then slowing down to actually take in what it said.

Alexandra,

I realized yesterday that you were right. I hurt you, but I never meant to. I was only thinking of myself. I'm sorry for everything. I signed the papers in hopes that if I set you free, you would someday consider coming back to me. Maybe we both need time to find ourselves. Even if that never happens, just know that I always loved you. I was just crappy at showing it.

All the best,

Markus

"Wow." Alex was touched, but not enough to consider taking him back. Instead she texted him a quick thank you and wished him the best as well. She was tired of being so angry. Time to let go and move on.

Now she just wished that there was a way to put Ian out of her mind.

True to her word on staying away from Ian, for the next few weeks Alex threw herself into her job at the paper. She dove into her emails and voicemails, purposely keeping busy. With many new responsibilities, it wasn't too difficult to lose track of time. She paginated the legals and classifieds pages, built ads, and gave customer service.

She was so consumed by the work one night that it took her a while to realize that she was alone in the office. When she looked at the clock on the wall, it read eight.

I bet Susan will be pissed about the overtime I accrued.

The dragon lady didn't seem the type who enjoyed having to pay people more than she had to, but at least if she checked Alex's email and files, she would know Alex had been hard at work.

"Fuck this," Alex said aloud as she picked up her purse and set her computer to sleep mode.

As she walked out of the building, making sure the lights were out and the doors were locked, she was startled by footsteps behind her. Alex clutched the pepper spray attached to her keyring and whipped around, her heart beating wildly.

"Whoa!" Ian put his hands up in self-defense. "I come in peace."

"Holy freaking crap! What are you doing here at this time of night?" Alex brought a hand to her chest and tried to slow her panicking heart. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"I was in the neighborhood and all that," he countered with a smirk.

"Sorry for sneaking up on you like that. I wasn't sure when I would see you again. Plus you've been avoiding me for weeks now..."

So, he did come to see me...

She narrowed her eyes. "You're not a creepy stalker or anything, are you?"

"No, not at all. Promise." He put his hands in his pockets as if to emphasize his point, looking pensive under the light of the full moon. "It's so beautiful, isn't it?"

He looks so young when he does that. Boyishly handsome even.

"Yeah. How old are you, anyway?" Alex blurted out before she could catch herself.

"Twenty-six." He laughed as his eyes flicked in her direction, running his fingers through his hair. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious is all since you're Susan's grandson." She shrugged and grimaced, then flashed a grin. "You're younger than me. I'm thirty."

"Only by four years. No big deal." He cocked his head to the side, a shy smile on his lips.

"Yeah."

"Hey, sorry I didn't tell my grandma about you. I panicked. I wasn't expecting to see you there and she always gets too involved in my...life. So, yeah..." He kicked at a clod of dirt on the sidewalk and peeked at her.

"It's okay." She jiggled her keys and they looked at one another. Her breath caught as she met his intense gaze.

"So, my grandma offered me her position," he rushed out, his hands rubbing his stubbly cheeks.

For real?

"Wow. That's a big step up. Did she buy the company?" Alex crossed her arms and pressed her lips together, a big sense of déjà vu sweeping over her.

"Yes. She says she's retiring and wants to travel, but don't tell anyone." He fiddled with his glasses, then cleared his throat. "I'm not even really sure how I feel about it yet."

I can't date the boss man again.

"So. Did you come all the way here to tell me that?" Alex bit her lip, not wanting to laugh at him.

"No..." He lowered his arms and grinned, dimples on both cheeks.

"So. Why are you here, then?" Her eyebrows knitted together.

"Well, I forgot something the last time I saw you." He looked away and back at her. "And I haven't been able to get it out of my mind."

"What's that?" she asked as he took a step towards her, the closeness of him setting off the butterflies in her stomach again.

"This," he whispered, tucking her loose hair behind her ear and leaning in.

He brushed his lips against hers softly, hesitantly, pulling back a fraction of an inch to gage her reaction. Her heart thudded against her ribcage, threatening to beat right out of her chest. Before she had time to react, his lips were on hers once more, this time more urgently. Alex opened her mouth a little, letting his tongue dance with hers. She could taste his need and was certain he could feel hers, as she gripped him close to her.

She wasn't sure how long they stood, locked in a tight embrace as if they couldn't get close enough. Her mind swirled and she moaned into his mouth, unable to hold it back. He groaned back, pulling her flush against him. His hands were in her hair, against her cheeks, on her lower back, caressing her and holding onto her for dear life. The need for him made her nipples harden against his chest muscles and set off a flurry of tingles to spread from her belly, to between her thighs.

Oh. My. God.

Alex pushed her hands against his chest and broke free from his embrace. "I'm sorry. I can't do this."

"Wh-why?" Ian panted, the surprise evident on his face. His lips were swollen and his eyes glazed over with desire. "Am I that bad? Did I do something wrong?"

"No! No, not at all. It's just..."

Mark was my boss. I can't repeat that mess.

"Just what?" he asked patiently, looking confused rather than angry like she would have expected.

Don't tell him. You can't influence his job decision or he'll grow to resent you like Mark did.

"I..." She gestured towards her car. "...just need to get home. I'm sorry."

Ian bit his lip and nodded, ducking his head down. It took all her strength not to chase him down as she got in her car and closed the door. Alex rested her forehead on the steering wheel and took a deep, shaky breath, trying to steady herself.

It's for the best.

"Poor guy," she said aloud, frowning. Maybe her subconscious was wrong?

Don't be stupid. What if it all ends badly? You would have to move and start over again.

Alex sighed, knowing the logical side of her was right, but she couldn't help wishing it to be different. She would love to be with Ian. He was funny and so charming, yet fear held her back. Alex really liked him, even though she hadn't known him long. She growled and smacked the steering wheel, then started the car. She concentrated a little too hard on the speed limit and didn't bother turning on the radio, too upset to be cheered up.

Her mother's words rang in her ears.

Sometimes it's okay to wallow...

"Home sweet home," she said, pushing the thought out of her head. Alex had spent far too much time angry and sad with Mark. No more wallowing for her.

When she got inside, she half expected to see Ian in the elevator, but he wasn't there. Her phone rang from the table in the foyer as soon as she closed her door. She picked it up reluctantly, the caller ID saying it was the Devil herself, Susan. Alex pressed her back against the nearby wall and took a deep breath, at once feeling drained. She debated hitting ignore, but figured it might be counterproductive enough to get her fired.

"Hello?"

Please don't be calling me back to work for some inane emergency. I'm exhausted.

"Alex? That is a terrible way to answer your phone. Have I taught you nothing?" Susan chided, sounding slightly miffed.

Seriously?

"I'm sorry, Susan." Alex rolled her eyes, trying to remain polite and keep the disdain out of her voice.

"You are forgiven." There was a dramatic pause. "I called to tell you something very important. Are you sitting down?"

What could she possibly be calling to tell me?

"Yes." Alex slid down the door until she hit the floor. "Is everything okay?"

"It is, thank you. Now just listen."

Alex bit her lip to prevent a groan from escaping her lips. Susan was so controlling sometimes. Okay, all the time.

"I was going to call you into my office tomorrow, but to hell with it. I'm getting too old to wait. How would you like to be the publisher?"

"What?" Alex sat up straight, thinking her ears had deceived her. "Are you serious?"

What about Ian?

"Of course. I'm always serious."

It's true. She is.

"Why...why me? I mean, not that I don't want the job, because I do, but it's your job." Alex licked her lips, cursing her inability to form coherent sentences in a pinch. "I don't understand."

"Oh, cut the crap. I know Ian told you. He's a blabbermouth. Always has been."

How much did he tell her?

"Right." Alex smiled. Honesty apparently ran in the family.

"I don't have all night, my dear. I'm tired and old. Do you want it or not?"

"I do. Thank you so much for considering me." Alex paused, biting a fingernail. "I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but why would you give it to me? Why not Ian?"

"I offered it to him earlier today. He turned me down just a few minutes ago and suggested you would be better qualified. After checking with your references, I agreed with him. You come highly recommended by your old publisher."

Mark? But why would he do that? Also, why would Ian turn her down?

"Oh."

"Yes. Well, we will discuss everything first thing in the morning. I will teach you all I know."

"Sounds like a plan. Thank you so much. Again. This has always been my dream." Alex couldn't stop smiling, even though confusion tried to cloud her happiness.

"Oh, don't go getting all mushy on me now. I need a strong female to run my company. Do you think you can do it?" The tone was clipped, as usual, but this time there was a slight warmth.

Or maybe I'm imagining it.

"Yes, Susan. I can do that."

"Good to hear." The other end got so quiet, Alex could swear Susan hung up the phone. "And one more thing, Alex."

"Yes?"

Susan inhaled and exhaled a deep breath before answering. "Don't you hurt my Ian. He's all I have left now."

"I won't," Alex whispered, clutching the phone to her ear. She waited for more, but the line went dead.

She didn't even say goodbye. Rude.

"I'm going to be the publisher." This statement, the act of saying it out loud, felt foreign on her tongue.

When Alex had imagined this moment, she'd thought there would be a party and she would jump for joy, but instead she felt absolutely stunned. The realization hadn't clicked with her yet. She opened the sliding glass doors that led to the balcony right outside her bedroom. It was her favorite part about the apartment. There wasn't much to look at, but the stars looked amazing from here. She could stare at them forever.

I bet they'd look better from the roof.

A bright, but small, flash made Alex blink. She leaned on the railing and looked in the direction of the light. Someone stood in the window across from her with the lights out. She gasped and the silhouetted figure leaned away from the window and a light flickered on, revealing Ian as her Peeping Tom. They waved at each other as he stepped onto his own balcony.

Did he just take a photo of me?

Her question was answered when he lifted the camera equipped with a telephoto lens to his eye and smiled at her. She gave her best sexy pose in her suit and laughed as he snapped a shot. Alex bit her lip, an idea forming in her head. Ever so gently, she took off her jacket and then set it on a nearby chair, the warm air brushing delightfully over her skin. Flash. She pulled off her shirt, with painstaking slowness, wanting to tease him. She dropped the shirt on the ground, in only her bra from the waist up. Flash. Flash.